Re: November 18 chemo starters

Hi All, we did go a bit quiet there! Hope everyone is bearing up as most of us are heading towards or just past #cycle2? Sounds like for most of us the side effects have been similar to round 1, to be honest I was expecting worse, woke up to the horror yesterday morning that my 15 year old twins have stinking colds and have woken up this AM with a sore throat and blocked nose so I guess I just wasn’t strong enough to kick that one to the curb, hoping it won’t be too bad, I had my 2nd cycle on Tuesday. Getting in well with the Xmas organisation but very disappointed that I don’t seem to be able to get more than 1 glass of wine down me - i’m usually much more professional! My next one is 18th Dec just hoping I can recover enough in 7 days to enjoy the day - although like you holeinone there will be no problem eating the dinner I find days 3-7 post chemo I can’t stop eating just trying to keep walking too to balance out the weight gain🙈
Keep well and keep strong team, remember every day is a day closer to your last treatment and we need to get there as physically and mentally strong as we can.
Keep posting it’s great to hear how everyone is doing 😘

Hi Kate day, you are amazing and strong. I too can't show my daughter anything other than a brave face. Let's stick together... We've got this! One down 5 to go!!!

Hi Milo, I too have triple negative. Had my surgery first and am just about to have cycle two next week. I hope I don't end up in hospital again! Hang in there my friend. You are not alone. We are in this together. I just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I had to wait nine weeks after surgery before I saw an oncologist, she said it was a month waiting list for a port if I wanted one and she was quite keen to get started on the chemo, so I started chemo 11 weeks after surgery. It was a worry, but two oncologist had left and there just wasn't enough to cover the work load.
I seem to be coping with the dressings better now, just have to wait and see how I get on with the third cycle on Wednesday.
Hope it's not as bad as the second one was.

Hi this is my first post on the site, but I too have triple neg breast cancer and am having chemo first then surgery (as waiting for braca result) then radiotherapy. I had my first chemo two weeks ago and next one this fri. It really wasn’t too bad and I have had a portacath fitted but was under general anaesthetic so all fine. Good luck

You are good Holeinone to be so Xmas prepared already. Guess I should be doing something about it with my good days (got EC #2 on Weds so making the most of every minute til then) but have been catching up with people instead, going out for coffees ☕️ and eating cake 🍰 , so glad that the end of this cycle has been a return to normality. I hope it works the same way again next time that I am ok for Xmas week. Have asked my family to send me links to anything I can buy them online as haven’t got the energy for trawling round the shops and think I have a valid reason for not doing cards this year. Will send a donation to The Royal Marsden who are looking after me for the amount I would have spent in cards & postage and ask my friends to send me a WhatsApp greeting instead and do the same. So one less thing to think about when I am crawling from bed to sofa next weekend. Could get a tree before that too, but seems a bit early this weekend...

Hi ladies, we've gone a bit quiet, hope you are all OK.

Sorry to hear about your BRCA diagnosis Lisajayne. All you can do is take it one step at a time but they will sort you out I'm sure.

Lou, I've not seen that book, might have to look it up for company in the dark days, thank you.

Juzcooper, good news on your lump shrinkage, hope that keeps up, good riddance to the lump!

Went to see oncologist the other day and mentioned the healthy appetite, he said it's a steroid in one of the anti sickness pills and he will tone it down for round two, otherwise I might be found on the kitchen floor, emptying the fridge contents down my neck!

Hair falling out by the handful at 14 days post chemo, I haven't cut it and am not going to. Got wig at the ready and will just use a wig cap when it thins so much you can see. Surprised at how much I've lost and it's not noticeable yet.

I'm gearing up for round 2 on Thursday, have almost finished Christmas present shopping and most of the wrapping, just cards to think about. It's nice to have Christmas to get excited about actually, it's taking my mind off things.

Hi Lisajane, sorry to hear your BRCA2 test result. 🙁 I know you were doing surgery after chemo anyway, but yes a bigger hurdle to face. I have a friend who opted to have the full mastectomy and ovarian surgery with immediate reconstruction (from her tummy) in the summer and is as right as rain now. I guess your treatment will depend on other things too, like like when they do radiotherapy etc. I have just done the gene test too (think the chances are higher with triple negative BC), but not expecting the results until after Xmas. Have you already had children?

Hiya ladies and welcome to the new arrivals. Thank you Lisa for checking in on me 😉 On my 2nd cycle on the trial so had a double dose on Tues (Carboplatin & Paclitaxel) Had to go to bed for a couple of hours when I got home as it did wipe me out. Had indigestion yesterday but rang the chemo line and they prescribed me Lanzoprazole which has done the trick. Feeling good today and going to do some Christmas shopping this afternoon. I agree with feeling ravenous and have actually put 2kg on since starting my treatment on 6th Nov 🙈 I have a good husband who cooks lovely meals and piles it on my plate (a feeder) and I can't be rude and not scoff the lot 😂 I also stopped smoking from being diagnosed so could be a factor too (a pity it took that to make me stop) However, it's the least of my worries and will address it next year when this is all over. I am making an effort to start eating the right things, fruit, veg etc. Altho, from not having any salt or pepper on my dinners at all to using it to add a bit of taste is strange. If anyone is starting to suffer with dry skin I can recommend Aveeno moistourising body wash, I'm finding it's really lovely on your skin. Some positive info, from having quite a prominent 5cm lump I can barely feel it now which is promising after just one cycle. Take care everyone xx

I react badly to normal dressings so I have a prescription for anti allergenic ones which I used to take with me, although they were available at the hospital if I forgot. You need to make sure it's in your notes and mention it each time.

Wouldn't it have been easier to have a port fitted or are you too late now?

Hi everyone

Had my results back from genetics yesterday and I have the mutated BRCA2 gene! Didn't think for one minute it would come back positive 🙈 So, once all this chemo is out of the way I'll be looking at ovaries and boobies surgery, probably just have the whole lot removed - in for a penny and all that 😬 

Braved the shave on Monday. I honestly thought everyone was exaggerating about the quantity of hair loss - they were not!!! Since I stopped the cold cap it shed like an animal, I would never have believed how much if I hadn't experienced it!

I've got a crimbo dinner with my wonderful work family tonight so will be nice to slap on a bit of make-up and wear my new wig that they all clubbed together and brought for me. They have been amazing and I feel truly blessed to have their support. I will raise a glass to you all 💗

I hope you are all doing well and are looking after yourselves.

Take care

Lisa xxx

[ Edited ]

Glad you're feeling better Kateday, we are all entitled to have a melt down, we just have to keep thinking, this will pass.

Had my picc line flushed again today, when the nurse took the little white strips of the line, my skin had blisters where the adhesive on the strip had been. I had felt some itching this past couple of days, but did'nt realize it was caused by the strips, they had sorted the dressing out so my skin did not react so much, but the nurse said it looks like I may have to wear an ordinary bandage to cover the picc line.

Has anyone else had skin reactions to the dressings?

You're right about being ravenous. Think my family were quite shocked at how hungry I was last week. I did overdo it one day, ate too much for tea then did the injection soon after - big mistake! Made a note not to do them on a full stomach ever again.
I'm hoping I feel well enough to go to my little boy's Christmas concert the week after next. Am determined to go, will just need to avoid all the coughing parents. Seem to be lots of colds and coughs going round now.
I'll probably go for the wig that best matches my hair too, though my mum really liked me in a lighter shade, said it made me look younger!
Have you read 'Tea&Chemo'? It's well worth a read if you haven't. A friend bought it for me and it really helped when I was losing my positivity last week.
Take care. xxx

[ Edited ]

Hi Lou, thank you so much for the welcome! Yes, oddly I'm really looking forward to Christmas here (despite the chemo), today I treated myself and hubby to a big Quality Street advent calendar! Also in overdrive now I feel up to things, although I have had a few dizzy spells when I've been rushing around. 

I did find that although I haven't felt sick, I have been ravenous at times, and my stomach feels like it is rumbling from lack of food. I'm belching a lot too, not a great thing.

I have my wig, picked it up this week, an exact colour match to my hair and a slightly shorter style, really happy with it. I didn't have too much choice as the wig lady asked me what I wanted and brought a small selection in, THE one was in that first batch of wigs, thankfully. 

Will be thinking about you next week, as we gear up for round 2.

Welcome Holeinone! I too, like you didn't post for a little while but found the posts from everyone so helpful and comforting especially in week 1 after chemo when my chemo brain kicked in and I felt too spaced to type much that made sense.

I'm just a day after you for my EC so my next is 7th Dec. Will be thinking of you on the 6th. I'm having my PICC line fitted that day.
My hair hasn't budged yet but have decided to cut it short next week anyway and get the wig (so hard to choose, had no idea there would be so much choice of style, colour etc.)
I'm hoping like you that the anti-sickness drug mix works well next time too. Trying to get some Christmas shopping done and going into cleaning overdrive before end of next week. The kids are already pestering about getting a tree. Will be something nice to look forward to after chemo 2.

[ Edited ]

Hello lovely ladies, this is my first post but I feel as if I know you all as I've been lurking for absolute ages, gleaning info and comfort from your posts, so thank you for that. 

I've already had a WLE and started chemo (3 FEC and then 3T) on 15th November. Had a week of absolutely horrific (to me) night sweats and feeling spaced out, unable to sleep etc, which I can see appears to be a pattern. I'm very thankful the anti sickness goody bag I was given worked like a charm and although in week two post chemo I've had a couple of watery mouth moments, I've not actually been sick. I can concur with the taste changes, my usual cup of tea was vile and I had to resort to tropical cordial and chicory coffee instead.

Not looking forward to doing it all again on 6th December, especially as I expect I will be bald by then. Tried the cold cap but it was too tight and the cold on my forehead brought on a migraine so it was whipped off pretty sharpish! 

Good morning ladies
I hope your all bearing up well
Finally starting to feel human again after number two , of too genetics today aswell
Have the old injectaches today my new name for them
Had a melt down at end of last week and did call the nurse in Monday and it really helped she booked me to see oncologist before next cycle to talk about arm pain from the veins having a little protest x

Hi Clarabella, I am like you having 3 EC and 3 Doxatel although my second EC has been deferred to Friday because I had an abcess. I cold capped on my first session but won't be doing it on my second because I didn't like it and my hair is shedding like mad, OH says he doesn't know who is worse me or the cat! Went for my wig yesterday just in case because I already have a couple of bald spots but they can be covered by the rest of my hair.Will have to see how it goes. Hope all those who have done round 2 will start to feel better sooner. Went to my stepsons and daughter-in-laws on Sunday for a roast dinner, had a really good time doing something normal. The two grandsons who are 9 and 5 helped to cheer me up.

Hi Sals

Feeling better this evening, the second session went much the same as the first, seem to tolerate the chemo and nausea ok but it's when I start the injections 2 days later that's when I start to feel really rough !! 😟

Hi Traceybev,
I’m Her 2+ too so we are on exactly the same i’m Er+ too so will have HT after the chemo and herceptin injections. How are you feeling 5 days on from your second session?
Take care
😘