Re: November 18 chemo starters

Liloc I felt horrendously sick but it did improve
I’m seeing my oncologist tomorrow and will talk to him about how awful it was and hope he performs a mirical
But it does get better I promise I’m on my third week and feeling pretty much like my normal self
Probably tire easier and my mouth still gets the odd little ulcer but I have even managed two days work
That I’m extactoc about
Second cycle approaching now not so looking forward to that
I love this forum
My scalp has been driving me mad so tomorrow I will moisturiser and see if that helps
I shaved to a number three on Tuesday and today I have some lovely bald patches appearing so at the weekend what’s left is bloody going xx

Hi ladies
I had my second cycle yesterday, I'm feeling a bit rough today, almost the same as the first one.
I was told yesterday that my chemo cycle had been changed from once a week in January to every second week for 18 weeks, so that cuts the chemo down from 22 to 14, but as it has already been changed once, I suppose it could be changed again.

It took four hours to have my chemo yesterday, it should have only taken 1hour, but there were only 2 nurses on instead of 6, they were under so much pressure, I really felt sorry for them, there was just so many patients.

A tip I was given by one of the nurses when my hair started to fall out, was to keep moisturising the scalp, it has made such a difference, no discomfort at all, I would highly recommend doing it.

Don't forget to make sure you moisture all over as well, every day you bath or shower, chemo drugs really dry the skin out.

Hope everyone is doing ok, at least we can all say, "I know how you feel and what you're going through", because we all do.
Let's keep holding hands and we can all get through this together.

Hi Harkes

I'm day 14 on Taxol and carboplatin every 3 Weeks and have been cold capping. Got home this evening and the lady garden has tidied itself shall we say! Head hair still hanging in there but we'll see what the next few days bring. Think I've read on here that the non head areas seem to go first. 

Hope you are recovering well from your abcess?

Take care

Lisa xxx

Thanks Pigeon, that’s encouraging, I hope I go the same way as you. Will talk to the team before the next session to see if they can adjust cocktail for the first night as I really don’t want to undergo that again another 7 times 😔Thanks for the food suggestions, I’ve just had some toast today. Liza x

[ Edited ]

Hi Liloc, sorry to hear you’ve been unwell 😞

I was quite poorly as well that first night, I was only given anti sickness tablets to start taking the following day, for the next 3 days, and I think the antisickness that they gave me intravenously just before the chemo must have worn off by the evening. I discussed with my oncologist and he is going to prescribe some extra tablets for the next round.

The nausea did wear off for me, I was in bed the whole of day 2 after chemo with sickness and nausea, then day 3 I felt a little better but stayed in bed, still a little queasy but mainly exhausted from the ordeal and feeling sorry for myself 😞, day 4 I was up and about with just a little queasiness if I thought about the wrong foods (it really put me off some things, temporarily!) and the nausea was pretty much gone the day after that.

Try and remember to keep taking small sips of water if you can, my nurses kept stressing to me that it’s important to stay hydrated. And if you can, eat little and often, I found something bland like dry crackers or toast were easiest, then plain clear soups when I was up for it.

All the best, hope you feel better soon x

Highlighted

Hi, Harkes sorry to hear about your infections, hope A&E didn’t keep you there too long. My first chemo was ok, the staff were so lovely and caring, especially about my needle hang ups. Didn’t do the cold cap as didn’t want to be there any longer than necessary. Got to chat with a lady who had the chest portacath, I’m booked in to have that implanted next week and still a bit undecided about whether the surgery is worth it. However.... started feeling really nauseous about 6pm and had a horrible night, not actually sick but horrendous nausea (worse than morning sickness or back seat passenger on a mountain pass)🤢and sleepless. Still feeling really grim but have 30 anti-sickness pills to take over the next 3 days (the timetable is doing my head in) so hopefully will ease it. Worn out just after writing this message. Think today is mostly going to be bed. 😔 Have others felt like that at the beginning, does it wear off?

Don't know whether the cold cap has worked or I have just been extremely lucky but at day 14 I still have all my hair everywhere! However, since the chemo I got a urine infection last week and last night was at A&E with a massive abcess in my armpit! I suppose it is the luck of the draw.

Hope everything went well for you yesterday Liza. It's sounds like you have a great network of friends around you. I have been lucky in that way too although nobody has cooked me food! 😄

Love Lisa xxx

Hi all, starting chemo at midday, getting myself worked up but lots of positivity on this thread so think I can do it (4 rounds of EC and 4 of Taxol to come, with some carboplatin thrown into the mix if Olga isn’t shrinking). Had so many supportive messages on WhatsApp this morning, really have some lovely friends. As I’m not commuting into work for the winter (going to try the company’s lovely clunky remote network from home) my colleagues gave me a mega Amazon voucher ONLY to spend on books and pamper goodies 💝. And one of the football mums from my son’s team turned up on my doorstep last night with a big tub of bolognese sauce to put in the freezer for rainy days. Took a photo of it to put in my ‘joy jar album’ to give me a boost when I’m feeling down. Liza x

Sals, I've been working on and off - I had two days off for the chemo, but since then have been working from home (3 days) and going in to the office (2 days). Luckily my work have been brilliant and are letting me decide what I am capable of. I've been much more tired than usual, so have only been doing 4ish hours in the office - I'm hoping to build that up a bit over the next 10 days or so until my next chemo. I find that if I don't demand too much of myself it's much better all round! Doing this amount of work has definitely been good for my mental health. But, as with everything, I think it's going to massively vary from person to person, so, if your work are sympathetic, you need to find a system that works for you, whatever that is. Good luck!

I ordered an eyebrow kit and keep trying to practice
As like you it’s the no eyebrows or eye lashes that will make it look worse xx

🙁 I guess it’s going to take a little time to get used to it and to be honest I was only thinking about the look not so much that it might actually be sensitive - that sucks. I think I could handle my hair if I still had eyebrows and eyelashes it’s the thought of a face with nothing that defines it that worries me - bring out the makeup bag! By the way has anyone been to a look good feel better session yet?

Hi Anitmth and pigeon,
I think we are all on very similar regimes, I have 3 FEC then 3 T, my tumour was grade 3 but no lymph nodes involved ER+ but also HER2+ so I have the herceptin added on from cycle 4 and if I remember its 18 of those injections every 3 weeks but I don’t think there are any real side effects? Fingers crossed i’m 1 week today since my first cycle and had surgery beginning of October. I’m due to go back to work next week, how are those of you that are working coping?

Honestly at the time devastated which is odd I’m not a girly girl with fancy hair
Only hour after I feel it’s a step forward
Went for a shower and stood waiting for conditioner to soak in and then realised there wasn’t much left to absorb it
Husband said he could see once started where it has started to thin a lot and my scalp looked red
I said that’s because it’s sore xx

Hi Kateaday,
Whoop whoop, well done you did it! How do you feel?
💪

So ladies
I did it I braved the shave not completely a number three
Yes there was tears but I couldn’t bear how much was coming out any longer xx

Welcome Anitmth,

Our stats seem quite similar, I’m also ER+, HER2-, grade 2 with node involvement. I had surgery early September. I’m on day 12 of first round of FEC, I’ll have 3 FEC and 3 T in total as well.

From what the other ladies have said, it’s normal to start losing hair down below first, although I don’t seem to have started losing from anywhere yet... I’m kind of on tenterhooks waiting for it to happen!

Glad to hear round 2 hasn’t been too bad for you, fingers crossed for round 2 to be better.

Hi Anitmth
And welcome
I will also get my second cycle of EC next week , I’m having four of each today I have gone out in my head scarf
As I think tonight will be the night to say goodbye to my hair
I’m sick of cleaning it all up from around the house xx

Hi pinklily,

What you need to do is become a skier (spend the kids inheritance) we have every intention of doing that when hubby retires in 2 yearsSmiley Happy

Hello ladies,

New to this but was diagnosed July. In August I had 2 lots of surgery, grade 2 tumour and lymph node involvement, ER+, HER-. Now I am day 13 after the first round of FEC chemo. All OK, survived the portacath under local (yuk! what a nightmare!), and then the actual chemo. So far I have been tired and a bit achey, but I am dreading round 2 next week in case it is worse. I have 3 rounds of FEC and then 3 rounds of T , so one down , 5 to go. It is strange to see the variation in treatments, but I assume the oncologists know what they are doing.

My hair is still on my head, but elsewhere is experiencing autumn.Very odd. Still it saves shaving. I wondered if it was just me - I have a wig and hats and scarves at the ready, and am almost frightened to brush my hair.

It is the waiting I can't stand, and feeling like my life is on hold whilst also trying to make the most of every day as far as I can.

Also trying to carry on whilst I avoid anyone with any kind of bug! I appreciate what some of you have said about horror if anyone nearby sneezes! I am thinking of going out with a scarf over my face like a cowboy in a dust storm!

Keep going everyone, we can do this. My favourite quote about this so far, I don't know where it came from :

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until you put her in hot water."

The water is quite warm right now. X