Re: November 18 chemo starters

Good to read these! I start chemo on Thursday and am not sleeping well already. I'm self employed and am anxious about how it will make me feel. I haven't yet sorted a wig, how long does this take?? I don't live in the city which doesn't help!!

Hiya all.

Got my first chemo tomorrow morning and a bit anxious about it but ready to get started. I'm on the trial so will be having Carboplatin and Paclitaxel tomorrow then Paclitaxel on day 8 and then day 15 and the cycle starts again and will last for 12 weeks then 3 cycles of EC 😕

Well, I had long blonde hair but decided after a few glasses of wine on Saturday to take the plunge and cut it off myself. Put it in a ponytail and chopped it off. I wasn't sad about it strangely enough and felt quite liberating. I just wanted to have my last bit of control over this awful situation if that makes sense. Thought I'd done a good job of it til I saw the back on Sunday morning and had to get my hairdresser friend to come and tidy it up for me. I'm donating it to the Princess trust. I got my wig today and I'm really pleased with it and feel confident to wear it out when the time comes. Looks better than my own hair at the moment!! Take care ladies and will keep in touch xx

Hi, had my first session of FEC-T today, all went ok. My arm hurts a bit as I had the PICC line fitted and then had the chemo immediately afterwards, so it feels like I've been punched repeatedly! I had the cold cap - a bit painful for the first 10 minutes, but fine after that - except for feeling very cold - I wore lots of layers and had my partner's ski jacket over my legs, but actually it was a lovely cup of tea that finally made me feel a bit warmer. I'm now feeling a bit nauseous and have a slight headache but probably better than expected. 

Good luck everyone!

Lisa, I had that itchy feeling too! My nurse said I might get a “prickly bottom” when she injected the steroids, but it was exactly as you said, hot sweaty itchy feeling “down there”! It passed quickly though.

I hope everyone who has had their first treatment is feeling ok. I didn’t have the best of weekends, I had to have the district nurse out to give me anti sickness injections twice on Saturday as I wasn’t keeping the drugs down... but am feeling much better today (touch wood)

I agree Sals
Speak with someone
No one need pressure to decide what or how you will feel once you have started chemo
The first few days I couldn’t move felt extremely sick and at points was sick
Due to my job it will be in likely I can work however
I do think this week I would manage a few hours all though my brain is a bit mushy so would probably have to have someone check my work xx
Also wishing you well for today x
ktk

Sals contact Macmillan for advice on sick pay. It does depend on your company’s policy, which should be clear in your staff handbook. They should not be putting pressure on you for a decision and you are entitled to reasonable adjustments. Again Macmillan have excellent advice. Kx

3 days after first chemo and not feeling too bad. Was a little bit sick on Sat but otherwise the nausea is manageable. The worst bit has been getting up at 6 every morning to go to the loo and then being tired in the afternoon. Sleep patterns totally disturbed. Had a bit of moment yesterday when I Just wanted my Mum! I am 58 and unfortunately she passed 4 years ago so just went to see my Dad who is 85 - he his brill although worried to death. My brother's partner is 6 years post treatment so they have been a great help. Must mention my best friend who has been my rock other than my husband - taking me to appts and out to lunch! with regard to work, I work 3 hours a week in a private physio clinic so won't be working at all during treatment. I think a lot of it depends on what you do, also my nurse practitioner said to see how you feel during the first cycle. Hope you are all feeling a little better this morning.

Hi
Good to hear from all of you who have got through your first chemo - go girls! I start tomorrow, I am also really confused about work, my work are being ok but giving me a bit of pressure to make a decision if I will be signed off the entire time or work at some points - what’s the norm on being paid? My company are indicating that they may reduce my salary if I do reduced hours/duties and maybe only go to statutory sick pay if I don’t work at all 🙁
I’had grade 3, 2.1m tumour that was er+ and her2+, had a mastectomy 4 weeks ago and will have FEC and T plus Herceptin and then hormone therapy after chemo.
Fingers crossed for tomorrow, going to try the cold cap but got my wig yesterday as back up!

Just wanted to pop in and see how your all feeling

I’m a few days post first chemo now and feel slightly more human , and certainly not as nauseous thank goodness
My brother is cooking for us today which will be lovely 😊

Hi Liloc 

I was told I'm not allowed to work as I work in a gp surgery and the risk to infection is too high even though I work upstairs in admin with no patient contact the consultant was not happy for me to go in ! May look at doing some work from home but going to get Christmas out the way first.

Good luck everyone x

Tracy

ktk

Hi Liloc, I wasn’t able to work on chemo because of the high risk of infection from working with children. However, if I could I would have been able to on FEC after the first week. Probably not at all on T, but everyone is different!! Depending on your circumstances I have enjoyed having the time off and being able to concentrate on my recovery. Hope that helps. Kx

Hope those that have there first one under there belts are feeling ok
Liloc
Work well it really depends how chemo affects you and what sort of job you do
I manage a nursing home so huge infection risk and chemo well hasn’t been brilliant for me
I do plan or am hoping week three maybe I can do a little work from home but will have to see x
Highlighted

Well done to those who already have one session under their belt. Can I just ask what you have all done about work? Are you all on sick leave? I have a desk job and could ask my firm if I can work from home but I don’t know if I’ll feel up to it. I guess I could take 3 weeks off just to see how the first cycle affects me..? Asked the October starters to mixed response 🤔Liza

Hi everyone. I was Diagnosed with Triple Negative BC at end of September. So for me it’s chemo, then surgery and then radiotherapy. Doing the Partner study but haven’t been randomised yet (will find out on Monday). Due to start chemo then on Wednesday 7th. Nervous about it, but I just want to get started now.
Good luck to everyone xx

Hi all

First chemo today of Paclitaxel and Carboplatin. Apart from being almost 3HOURS late starting, all went ok. Had a weired hot, itchy feeling in the "Lady Garden" area with one of the pre-meds - Nurse was "Confused!"

With the Paclitaxel the fingers on my left hand (same as drip) swelled.  I had to pull my rings off with my teeth!  Again, nurse's were "Confused!"  Still have one fat finger, but it does have a cut on it from opening a mushy pea tin on Halloween so could be to with that?!! Smiley LOL  

Carboplatin - fine, no problems at all.

Had the cold cap. Absolutely fine.  First 5 mins, mega brain freeze and a little head ache but wears off quite quickly.  Had 3 hats in total.  Easily doable so give it a try x

Came home with lots of meds - Anti sickness, Antibacterials and steroids.  Also have x3 injections. (Think these were for your blood cells)

Think this first session will be the easiest.  Think the side effects will kick in next week.

Watch this space!!!Smiley Wink

Lisa xxx

Hello ladies

Can I interest any of you in a game to help you combat chemo brain and to give a bit of light relief on this journey we are all on? It's on this forum in the coffee lounge /chat and games section and is called word association again.

I think this link might take you to it
https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chat-and-games/WORD-ASSOCIATION-AGAIN/td-p/159964

Hope to see you over there: Let's get that gray matter pumping 😁🙌😵

Sue xx

Was diagnosed on 7th Sept with a grade 3, 19mm tumour ER 8, Pr 5 HER2 negative. Had

a wide local excision and lymph node removal on 21st September. 1 node was positive and one had individual tumour cells out of eleven.

Had my first chemo today and used the cold cap, uncomfortable for the first ten mins while getting cold but after that was ok. Was given hair care advice, but told not to have my hair cut. Can anyone give me advice?

Thanks

Thanks for thinking of me juzcooper1971 ☺️ Good luck for Tuesday!

Honestly it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. I didn’t feel sick or anything, just had an odd pain in my sinus at one stage when one of the drugs was going in, but even that wasn’t too bad.

Still feeling ok now, just quite tired, fingers crossed it stays like this!

Hiya ladies. I have triple negative, grade 3 with no lymph node involvement. Having chemo first then surgery then radiotherapy. How did you get on today pigeon and Lisa? Been thinking about you both all day. Been told I am eligible for the trial and randomised to just chemo too 😕 Same as you Lisa a bit disappointed but ready to crack on now. We're still getting additonal treatment and constant monitoring. Bring it on!! The sooner we get started the sooner we'll be done and hopefully rid of this awful disease. Keep us posted and take care my lovelies xx

Hi
I’m triple negative but had surgery first
I’m sure different hospitals seem to treat differently
I’m now having 8 cycles of chemo and the radio
Listen to your body’s and take all the meds given to keep side effects at bay xx