cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May chemo starters 2018

Re: May chemo starters 2018

Thanks Sue for more tips/advice.

Hello to everyone, I think we are all going to find this forum extremely helpful!

To introduce myself: diagnosed end of January. Sentinel biopsy 14th February. Nodes clear.  Right mastectomy and DIEP in March (discharged on my 50th!). Not the best birthday present but recovery has been extremely good and now the next chapter is 6 x FEC. I'm under Broomfield hospital, Melissa x

Thank you, Sue x

The problem with injecting yourself is that you can't look away Smiley Happy

I think I'm going to have to face that fear head on, take a deep breathe, jab and hope for the best!

Community Champion

Yes Hets, injections in the mouth are far worse than anything else we have to bear!

Re. gscf injections........I was provided with a sharps bucket by the chemo nurse. No wipes though, although no one asked for that to be done. I'm currently having monthly zoladex injections and they give me a cream for that to numb the area, so if you have problems, ask for that. I initially had the district nurse come out and do it, but they weren't keen long term and I was a real woss, so couldn't do it myself. In the end a friend/ nurse did it for me! What I would say is that it can give you bone pain after. Take the ibuprofen and it clears up pretty quick.

Sue xx

I must admit, I'm slightly concerned about the injections.

I've been told I'll be self injecting at home for seven days each cycle.

The ocologist said ''it'll be easy, you just grab a bit of fat from the tummy with one hand and inject with the other''

However, I'm not convinced it'll be that easy...

Do I need to buy alcohol wipes and a sharps box or do the hospital usually provide them?

(long list of things to ask at the pre assessment tomorrow!)

Sarah x

Brilliant thank you! Just had an hour at the dentist and the worst injection ever - overshadows the mastectomy!!
Community Champion

Welcome Hets and Janie

In terms of meds, your chemo team will give you the steroids, anti sickness tablets and possibly gcsf injections. If the anti sickness tablets are not effective, then let them know as there are others they can try. Main essentials for you to get would be a thermometer, constipation/ diarrhoea tablets, and some ibuprofen ( try to avoid paracetamol ). Personally, I didn't need anything else.

If you can prepare any meals in advance, that would be great, or just get in some simple things that can be heated up in the oven.

Sue xx

Thank you! Hello everyone. I am having my PICC line in on the 2nd and then start FEC-T on the 3rd. Am anxious but BCC has helped a lot xx

Hi, I start FEC x 6 on 10/6. I wish there was a sort of shopping delivery service for people about to go through it because it’s hard to focus on reading lots and yet it’s clear there are things to be getting into the cupboard which would make things easier!! Hmmm do I feel a new business idea coming on or has someone beaten me to it?
Community Champion

Hi melsy and Sarah
Welcome to the thread. Please ask if you have any queries.
If I were to offer advice at this stage, I would say prepare yourself for the first week when you don't feel upto much. Stock up the fridge, get the washing done, and have all your meds at hand. I'm not saying that you feel ill, it's just you might want to take things easy.
Hope this helps
Sue xx
Community Champion

If you want to ask us anything at all anytime, you can pop into the May or October 2017 threads and someone will help you.  We May and October ladies are all buddies as two of us made friends in the real world so we have kind of joined forces! We have a lot of experience! Have you got your biotene toothpaste, mouthwash and gel for dry mouth? That's what most people use on chemo and get yourselves some sudocrem in stock. Nuff said.  Xxxx

What a wonderfully written blog Mai, I've made a note of the foods & drinks you found beneficial and glad you're now doing so well. thank you Cassie for popping over to give us support too x

To Cassie and Mai - I think it's so lovely that you have popped over from previous threads to advise and chat - thank you!

Sarah xx

Hi may ladies. I'm from the October thread and finished chemo in Jan. Any help or advice you need please let us know and we will try and help where we can.
Cassie x
Community Champion

Hello May ladies,  I just wanted to wish you all the best as you start your chemo.  I joined the May starters a year ago and i just want you to know you can get through this.  I can't believe is a year ago since I started chemo and here I am now with hair once again.  We May ladies gathered a lot of knowledge along the way and I have documented it in a journal so its easy to share with others. 

Here is my story which I hope you find both comforting and useful:  http://lifeafterlola.blogspot.co.uk/

Much love. xxxxx

Hello!

I'm also having my first FEC T next week, on the 7th.

Not really sure what to expect, at the moment it seems a bit surreal.

Sarah x

Thank you for starting this thread. I'm beginning my first of  6 x Fec on May 14th x

Community Champion

May chemo starters 2018

Hi Ladies

This thread is for those of you who are starting chemo in May. Hopefully you can all help and support each other along the way. 

I had chemo in 2016, so happy to help where I can.

Best wishes

Sue