cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May 2017 chemo starters

Community Champion

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

Dafodil, I have to wait a year before I can be considered for recon due to the inflammatory factor and high risk for recurrence.  I don't really mind how the recon is done as long as it doesn't increase my risk of recurrence and looks somewhat similar in size.  They can stuff a bean bag in there for all I care!  Sorry, I'm not beng very helpful am I?!  It may be best to let your consultant guide you, that's what I'll do. Xx

Community Champion

It's my cancerversary today. Exactly one year since my diagnosis and I have seen the daffodils again!  I'm alive! I am grateful.

Xxxxxxx 🌼🌼🌼🌼

Daffodil54 - I am one of the ladies who has had reconstructive surgery and opted to have it done at the same time as my mastectomy.  I was fortunate enough though to not need rads.  Everyone as you know is different in what they feel is best for them and I believe it’s best to follow your gut.  For me, my Nan had cancer years ago and had a mastectomy and didn’t have any recon surgery.  At the age of 12 I accidentally walked in on her at her house and saw her scars.  It really struck me and had such an impact.  I desperately didn’t want her to have to use ‘falsies’ as she called them daily which served as a reminder to her of everything she’d been through.  Anyway, when I found out I needed a mastectomy those images came flooding back and I personally didn’t want to have to think about putting a ‘falsie’ in daily and having an odd weight distribution, but also to not look like she did.  I chose the DIEP operation, not for the faint hearted, ask Rosie65 as we both chose this option.  This operation does require a bit of tummy fat so if you have a little to spare this is a 2 for 1 😀 This gives the most natural look and feel like a normal breast.  There are less infection problems than implants too.  The ‘new’ breast will increase in size just like your natural one if you put weight on and equally if you lose weight it’ll lose lose weight along with your natural one.  For me, it was an easy decision to chose this operation because I didn’t want to be back on the operating table in ten years time having an implant removed and replaced, because that’s in effect it’s shelf life.

i hope I haven’t confused issues even more, but I wanted to answer your question.  I believe the more informed we are, the better the choices we make for ourselves xx

Hi ladies. Lovely to have you back daffodil 🌼. I expect the snow was a bit of a shock to the system after a holiday like that. Glad you are doing well.

I was unusual as I had immediate reconstruction after bilateral mastectomy. I have implants and have some concerns with one of them. They are also put under muscle so that affected my arm strength.
I think with everything it helped me mentally but my mum had no reconstruction and she is happy flat. It really is a very personal choice. I wouldn’t push anyone. Have whatever works for you. X x x

Daffodil - I feel exactly the same as you do.  If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?  I too am getting on well with the prosphetic one and when it gets a bit heavy I revert to the knitted knocker and again, no one knows the difference.  I too have very little spare skin following op.

How do you feel Heather, MJK and Mai? - I think these are the three other ladies I remember who have not had any reconstruction.

May 2017 chemo starters

Hi Jay. I am a bit unsure about reconstruction too. I would love to hear how those who've had one feel. I am getting used to my prosthesis and people don't notice that I have one. But how will I feel in the future? 

I would also need an expander as I haven't much skin to spare post op. It may be a set back to my recovery.

Advice, ladies! Please. 

Hi Jay. I am a bit unsure about reconstruction too. I would love to hear how those who've had one feel. I am getting used to my prosthesis and people don't notice that I have one. But how will I feel in the future? 

I would also need an expander as I haven't much skin to spare post op. It may be a set back to my recovery.

Advice, ladies! Please. 

Last day for Holland& Barrett half price offers.

Herceptin Ladies - there's a 10 week post Herceptin message from Yorkie on the targetted therapy forum - it's so upbeat and positive, I recommend you all have a read! x

Hi Daffodil - pleased to hear you're feeling good - yes I have a bit of rib discomfort too - I think it's to do with scar tissue from the surgery and rads.  Are your aches like mine and only really affects me when I'm sleeping on that side?  I do still use my heart cushion too, which in all honesty helps!

I'm off to see the surgeon next Thursday - that's 6 months from surgery - I'm not sure whether he'll discuss recon - I'm still undecided - what are your thoughts?

I'm somewhere to feeling normal, although the herceptin injections (which, as being HER2+, I'm extremely grateful for) are causing problems with my heart (so on meds for that) and as we all know, meds are good but they do come with a list of side effects!!!  Still I've only got 5 more injections to go and the way the weeks fly by they'll soon be done.

Have a good day too - at least the weather is warming a little - I feel I need the sunshine to quickly arrive! x

Hi Jay. No meds for me as tn. Surveillance and annual checks I think. Feeling good but also still have a bit of rib discomfort on mx side. Still sleep with my heart cushion! 

Reconstruction discussion in July.

Happy to be feeling normal! Have a good day. 

Hello Daffodil - how are you?  

Nice to hear from you again and only feel very slightly jealous(!) that you've seen sunshine for 10 days - what a marvellous tonic that must have been for you, I know I'm craving some sunshine and warm weather right now.

Good luck meeting the new onc team today - hope all goes well for you.  Can't remember where you're at - I know you've finished active treatment but are you on any meds?

All is pretty good with me albeit a few aches and discomforts in the mx side of the chest and lymph removal area.

x

Hello all. I have been away to South Africa to sunshine for 10 days. Pleased everyone is doing well. 

I have my oncology appointment tomorrow to meet my new team since moving. I had previously met the surgeon and nurse, so am unsure what to expect as so far all is going well. 

Have a good day. Looking forward to spring. 

Treehouse - that is upsetting to read - but unfortunately it's a common thing with facebook - we have a local page where I live and so often people get really aggressive and nasty.  I think people become brave from the comfort of their armchair and behind a screen!!

I agree totally - life is far too short for unnecessary unpleastness. x

Thanks for getting back to me Jay x
I just read an article about a local Facebook group which is supposed to be a supporting place for women. Ended up with lots of cyber bullying and unpleasantness.
Made me feel really sad. 🙁
I know we have our moments and rant from time to time but but we are all allowed our opinions and support each other in dealing with things in our own way. I would feel devastated if I upset any of you.
Why are some people like that? Life is too short.

Hi Treehouse - I'm good today - loving a bit of spring sunshine through the window before I start my Friday routine of housework....!  Thankfully, my flushes have subsided - the main time I get them is when I wake in the morning but very short lived.  I do tend to get a few more directly after the herceptin injection - so I don't know if they cause that side effect.

I do the arm exercises almost every day - I have to, otherwise I cease up.  I only do them once a day when I first get out of bed. 

At the moment I'm going bra and prosthetic free - my rib discomfort has hugely improved so I may wear both just for work today and see how it feels.  I wonder if it's to do with lymph fluid build up?

It's so true what the medics say, exercise although not the first thing on your mind to want to do when you're feeling achey and have pain - it really does help (mind and body) to do it.... 

Have a great day xx

Thanks Mai 😂😘
Hope everyone is ok . We got a gorgeous spring morning here. After the night of 1000 flushes. I wish I knew what sets them off!
Aches feeling lots better after cardio funk 2. I think I need to do the arm exercises every day again. Does anyone still do them?
X x x
Community Champion

Treehouse, good thing Orville isn't still on the TV or you would be getting that instead of owl! ....."I'm going to help you mend your broken heart"...,.., 💖

https://youtu.be/TGnuMxFnc1k

Honestly Mai - that's no way to speak to a fellow May lady - "apples to you"....! haha lol - I too fell over laughing at that one! Just how strong is that oil.....!?!?!?

I'm pleased it's not just my ribs then - yes I too had bone scan just before diagnosis so I'm quite sure it can't be anything sinister as it would have been picked up and I've read on bcc forums and other dr google sites it is quite a common effect - wonder what causes it? I'm def going to mention to surgeon in 2 weeks time. x

Celebrate the good times Shi - good for you girl finishing the journey - emotional day! Enjoy each day - wake with a smile add some sparkles and come on here for a rant when you need to - a perfect formula x

Twit twooo Treehouse - love it! a cute baby owl much better than thick wirey pubes! x

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Treehouse 🦉you look beautiful 😘😘 andi and tatyana, thank you and the community champion thing is all of us, we are a team and what an amazing team mai7 took me under her wing into, thank you all does not even start to cover how much all your love support compassion laughs and everything means to me and the Oct 🚂. The jan girls are on the 💩💩💩💩swapping obsession at the moment so any logging tips if any of you want to help get the toothpaste (to quote mai) flowing for them please pop over 👍👍I do wobble but then 🤪🤪🤪🤪shi takes over and I get the jukebox out 💃🏻💃🏻🕺💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺and have a mai7 counselling session and then the 🌞🌞🌞🌹🌷🌺🌺🦄🦄🦄🦄🦋🦋🦋🦋world is beautiful and bright 💕💕✨✨✨✨shi xx

Shi, many congratulations on getting to the end of the zapping! And good luck with your new life. It's great that you are a community champion now, you are so positive and happy, you give everyone such great encouragement and support. Go Shi!!!🌷🌷🌷🌷

Shi, absolutely fabulous news that your done!! 😘👍🏻💃🏻💫⭐️🌟🌈🍷🥂🍾🛎 what a ‘journey’ hey?! Big hugs xxx

You go girl. Love your positivity. My youngest just came into the kitchen. I had taken my jumper off due to a ‘power surge’ flush.
‘Woah mum look at your fluffy hair, you look like a new born 🦉 owl’

Better than my sisters comment at Christmas. ‘ looks likes pubes’
I love my family!!!
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi treehouse 2 more months of daily blood thinning jabs then hope to be done. Because I was tn, going on cbd oil, black cumin seed oil, vit d tabs then once jabs done back on the matcha powder and turmeric too and 🙏🙏🙏 but most of all going to be 😁😁😁😁and 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺and doing my best to always ✨✨✨✨through each day 💕💕✨✨✨shi xx

Congratulations Shi Ding ding 💃
You got anymore treatment or are you free??? 😘😘😘😘happy for you sparkle ✨💫🍸🍾
Community Champion

Tree house, literally shaking with laughing from behind my computer! I didn't spot the hidden apples 🍏🍎 🤣🤣
Shi, groove on down at the club Tropicana where fun and sunshine await and maybe a Bristol stool celebratory cake! 😂😂💩
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Zap bap a loo la a zap bam boo 😎😎😎🥓🥓🥓thanks mai 😘😘😘🛎🛎🛎done. And to keep the jan girls spirits up I introduced them to the Bristol stool cakes pictures 😁😁😁they need a 😁😁😁as aliand 🎉🎉🎉🎉having a big 💩💩💩we remember it well don’t we. Jay glad to hear you are ok 😘😘mai speaking of perfumes I hope no one ever buys me alien, we’ve had enough of that thanks 🤪🤪🤪club Tropicana awaits 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻🍸🥂🍷🍹🥂🍸🍸🍸🍷🍹🥂🍸🏖🏖🏖thank you all for everything on this journey, I love you all and thank you for making me 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣so much. I still remember the Greg Wallace comment 😂🤣😂🤣😂so, si 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣💕💕✨✨✨shi xx

Gotta love auto correct.
Mai apples 🍎 to you too 😂😂😂
Community Champion

Jay, Nine scan = bone scan (bcc has the weirdest auto correct "features

Tree house, this = think
Community Champion

Jay, yes I get intermittent pains in my ribs but as I've had a nine scan I know it isn't bone metastases. That would be my paranoid assumption.
Tree house, I don't this the 2 week rule apples to you as concerns about the heart can't wait 2 weeks. You're allowed to keep using the paranoia fragrance for a bit longer!
Mishy, I think the fragrance needs adding to my blog now! Seems wrong to not share a good perfume!
If anyone wants me to set a blog up for them I'll happily do that and write it for you. Just private message me. Xx

Hi Jay glad the ticker is behaving x
I too get rib pains randomly but never know what to blame it on. Ibuprofen helps and it goes in 3-4 days. ( never quite mAkes the 1 week rule)

I agree Treehouse - I wish there was an easier way to go back to a certain date/month on here.

Hi Mai, yes I was rather pleased too!  I'm not sure whether the blood pressure increases immediately - it does peak during the first week - then starts to subside towards the end of the second week.  It's never (thankfully) dangerously high - but that could be due to the ramparil balancing it out.  So at least the medication appears to be working - of course, it gives me minor side effects - a dry cough and nasal congestion but hey it improves the heart failure I've developed through Herceptin so I'm not complaining.... just 5 more injections to go and counting...... (although if I'm honest - I'm scared they're coming to an end.....).

By the way Mai, out of interest, do you ever suffer from intermittent rib discomfort on your MX/rads side?

I wanted to go back to November and read some posts from there( a lot of support really helped) but I got bored try to go back one page at a time. My god we post loads 😋

Treehouse 😂😂😂😂😂😂 yes they certainly get their money worth from me too!!! They know who I am just by voice recognition now when i ring some people leave things till its too late bless them well not me and yeah didn't think about the posting on here is almost like a diary as such i wonder if ee ciuld retrieve all our posts from beginning wouldn't that be an interesting read!!!! I just love how Mai has been able to put into words in way that will help others 💖

Mishy I thought the same then realised I did write it all down. HERE.
( and I am crap at writing ✍️) 😘

Agreed if we hadn’t gone in the first time (and the second time) god only knows where we would be now.
My GP takes me very seriously.
Can’t ever accuse me of being a time waster 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Mai i love your blog so true and from the heart i bet most people resonated with everything you said i had thought about writing everything down somewhere then putt away like a letter to myself or something 🤔

I was given a one to two week rule by onc just have to call his sec with any concerns Mai Treehouse house the way i look at this is that being vigilant in the first place got me to GP so i will probably always get things checked out if in doubt i don't want to be a hypochondriac but neither do i want to get too complacent either i suppose a fine line and all that but as you say Treehouse its easier said than done isn't it

I like the 2 week GP rule Mai. Mine is one week or a temperature 🤒. ( or if my mum nags me).
Had a red boob last night on the same side as my chest pains ( mind goes crazy , infection, cyst, damaged implant, ?????)
Redness gone today. Pain no worse maybe improving. Will wait til Monday.

I try being normal then regret it the next day. 😬😤

I have Mai and it is so true!!!! Love the fragrance analogy made me laugh 😂😂 its really the truth isn't it " Paranoia utterly seductive with delicate hints of over reacting 😂😂😂
Community Champion

Mishy, I agree with you. When your own body has tried to kill you from the inside there is nothing left to fear on the outside.  Those threats are all external and no bother at all compared to what's happened inside! A whole new perspective. X

Community Champion

Jay, glad your blood pressure is normal.  Does it increase immediately after each injection? And for how long usually?  Xx

Hey treehouse you had the hardcore stuff after your treatment a little exploring won't do me any harm at the end of day chemo makes us hard as nails doesn't it i bet your one tough cookie now treehouse not to be messed with haha!!!!
Community Champion

Treehouse, I dot think any of us will ever be "normal" again!  Paranoia is the new fragrance.  I agreed a 2 week rule with my GP.  I don't go in unless a problem has persisted for 2 weeks and it needs to be progressively getting worse instead of better.  Xx

Shi, best wishes for your last zap-bap-a-do-wap-a-lam-bam-boo my tooty frooty!  Sparkling all the way to the bell ring. ✨✨✨✨ 💗💗💗Xxx

Mishy, the anxiety is tough straight after treatment.  Have you looked at Lola: Lifeafterlola.blogspot.com

Hope this helps. Sending hugs. Xxx

Treehouse im sure it will be fine but i was just pah what next i really just put it down to a SE but obviously the chemo hss damaged my stomach so they need to check what it is meds haven't really worked trying to work out what triggers it but onc said long term heartburn reflux etc can cause nasty problems so they want to get to the bottom of it and sort it i literally have it all day every day feeling like burning in stomach foul taste in mouth and hoarseness due to reflux hey ho!!!

Feel for you Mishy. The SE suck. Sorry to hear you need endoscopy. I have had several camera in all areas during this rollercoaster 🎢. Not my favourite thing but you did Chemo so you can do this. I know what you mean about sorting your head out. Keep counting the blessings. Much love x x

Hi ladies hope you are all well had first follow up onc app yesterday was a long app i where i explained some of after effects from treatments neuropathy apparently will get better but not hopeful!! Indegestion reqires endoscopy as it should have cleared up by now as a SE might be an ulcer or something all i know is i didn't have it till chemo 😝 tge aches and pains are due to arthritis possible menapause as apparently there is still time for periods to return he did say if i am menapausal through chemo the majority of symptoms should nearly be over as a chemo induced one is fast!!!
Got really upset when we talked about the prognosis odds yes there in my favour but its still a hard pill to swallow knowing they really can't tell you that it won't come back i asked if there were any trials i could take part in for prevention being TN there is an asprin trial but i can't take part because of my stupid bloody stomach so thats it doesn't want to see me for a year just have mammo in April and can call directly if i have any symptoms i am worried about that last longer than a week
This no mans land is a strange place to be in isn't it when there are no pills to pop ir injections to have
Thank God for Maggies help with the counselling as i am not ashamed to admit im finding the aftermath of this journey the hardest part my mind needs to rest and recover as well aa my body 💖