MJK

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

Hi Missyangel, I've had my first T and would echo what others have said. You certainly won't be constipated! Day 3 to 6 was rough and imodium /loperamide will be handy. After that I've felt ok. Next dose on Thursday if bloods ok. Treehouse, great that you enjoyed the wedding and got a dance with hubby. X

Wolfee I feel the same about steriods and don't like them. I will be taking steriods for 3 days to and have four to take in the morning and other four before 12 so 8 per day. I wonder if they have got your dosage wrong as I think everyone on tax has 8 steriods per day for 3 days. It is really hard as you try to trust what the professionals tell you but as we have seen on these forum they don't always get it right

I count Chemo as day one. It is a rough guide. As the steroids run out and the injections kick in I get neck, shoulder and back pain. Mouth decides to go furry and sense of smell goes hyper. Also my temp control is broken.
Drink lots of water and check your temp.

I'm having my second T tomorrow. On FEC I was taking 4 steroids daily for 5 days starting on the day of chemo. Now I'm on the T I am taking the same steroid and qty x4 but start the day before for only 3 days. So I'm actually taking less now. This I like as I really hate the steroids and suffer a lot with them especially a kind of depression a few days after taking them however, I feel a little worried they should have changed my does becaue the nurse just said 2 me oh you'll need steroids to take home how many do you have two in the morning and two in the afternoon so I just said yeah that's what I had been having and she just went and got them.
I'm now wondering if this is why I ended up getting an infection last time??

Thanks treehouse, when you say day 4 are you counting day 1 the day of chemo?
Hope my bowels are more frequent lol and I had terrible wind on fec lol

Hi missy. I had mine over 2 sessions this time. All through the canular.They will check for reaction to herceptin . It is not as skin toxic hence that could go in my elbow on Thursday but the docetaxel couldn't. Bowels will be softer but mor frequently and I get terrible wind πŸ’¨. Day 4 can be a bit of a shock so just be ready to rest in bed and take your time. You can do it. It will pass after a few days.

Thanks Mai7, glad to see someone else is on the 8 same as me, most people seem to have 6. I had read it can cause depression, I do have occasional low moments but my husband is really good at snapping me out of it. xx

MisyAngel, you're the same as me - 3 Docetaxols to go to make a total of 8 chemos. We can jog/walk/crawl to the finish line together! Everything Heather said, I agree with, furry mouth (everything tastes of cardboard for about a week). I was tired from day 4-8 (a flu-like tiredness) and felt like I had pine needles in my ribs. Be careful with your diet and perhaps increase carbohydrates and reduce fruit and veg as most people have found their intestine processes food faster on Docetaxol. Have some Imodium at the ready to give your bowel a little rest occasionally (otherwise haemorrhoids and fissures start flaring up again). Also, be aware that Docetaxol can cause depression so if you feel low, remember it's just a temporary side effect and will pass. Best wishes for Tuesday. I'm on one week delay and rescheduled for chemo no.6 on Thursday (fingers crossed). X

Brilliant Heather, I have been reading your comments following your treatment but having read this below has made me feel better.  I have been soaking in epsom salts every other day but will use daily once I start this. I did suffer a lot with sore bum on fec I have them fisures for every treatment which was really painful and only just healed.  I am not looking forward to the 8 steroids but i suppose it is better to take day before so you are nearly finished them by the time you have chemo

Once I have finished tuesday there will be 3 left to go and that sounds a lot better than 8.  I can just see finish line in the distance whoop whoop

[ Edited ]

Misyangel, I have found having the T far easier than FEC. Given via a pump,over an hour was easy, they start it, check for allergic reactions in first 10 mins or so then leave you to it, followed by a 10mins flush.

Side effects were much less than on FEC and started earlier for me day 3 and 4, once I got past that it was just the yucky mouth. Steroids x 8 the day before, day of and day after. No constipation, but watch for numb fingers so use Epsom salts in bath and soak for 20 mins daily in the first week if poss to prevent it. 

If I had a choice I would take T over FEC any day, so much easier. Don't worry you will be fine, and another step to finishing 🚢

Heather

Ladies as regards sweets for bad tast maom sweets do sour ones and these are great for getting rid of taste for a short while.

Treehouse so please you managed go to the wedding.

For anyone who had the herceptin drug prior to chemo, did you have any effects or feel unwell.

I have my first herceptin and another drug tomorrow, also how do they do this is it drip form or just one injection.  They have told me I will be at the hospital for around 5 hours to check for allergic reaction.  Then will have the tax on Tuesday.  Also how as the tax compared to fec now some of you have had a couple of sessions?  I am feeling anxious about the unknown

Soft Haribos, fried eggs and love hearts and Starburst!!

Highlighted

Treehouse, so glad you enjoyed the wedding, including cake and smooch. πŸ°πŸ’˜

MJK, your description of your aunts made me think of you as little red riding hood! Keep a look out in the woods for Wolves who like cakes! πŸ˜‚

Back to hotel after lovely day. Shoes πŸ‘  stayed on til after dinner. Had cake and a smooch slow dance with my husband. 😊
Time for a bath and first injection which has been sitting in a cool bag waiting πŸ’‰.
4 day on steroids, I am expecting a big crash back to earth tomorrow.
X
Like the sound of the sweeties ladies x

Can recommend Skittles for a bit of flavour, never checked sugar content!

Thanks for this recommendation Mai - I'm getting bored now of sweets (WOW never thought I'd ever mutter those words!) - today I've got mint imperials and fruitella!
MJK

Hope you enjoyed the wedding Treehouse and made it to the cake. πŸ‘°πŸ•΄πŸ°. I'll pop to my new corner shop (M&S) for the rhubarb and custard drops before round 5. Sorry to hear about the unhappy veins 😯. We're now visiting my aunt who lives in a cottage in a wood 3 miles from Bath. Great food too.

Lol, WolfEE, a bit of self discipline is needed! They're in little boxes usually near the checkout area. The good thing is, they are also nice and smooth. No knobbly bits scraping the roof of your mouth, unless, of course you crunch them! πŸ˜‚

My problem is I can't suck I crunch can't help myself.

Oh yum, I've been having the Tesco ruhbarb and custard, pear drops and humbugs but I have 2 say the sugar on the outside has started getting a bit rough on my mouth so I'll nip over m&s tomorrow and get a few hundred packs ready for the horrible mouth from Monday!!