MJK

Re: May 2017 chemo starters

Hi Wande. Welcome to the last group you wanted to be in as a new mum, it's good that your daughter is doing well. I'm having 3 FEC followed by 3T. I start next week. I also have a 4 year old son who's just been trying on my new wig! Big hugs. X
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Gillyb, thanks for sharing the nhs predict tool. I just ran my details though it: age 48, ER+/her2- grade 2, 50mm, 4 local nodes and my best survival rates came out as 5yrs 87%, 10yrs 69% if I have adjuvant chemo, hormone therapy and trastuzmab. Now I'm already having neoadjuvant chemo so will this mean more chemo post surgery? Yikes! I just looked up Trastuzmab and it is also known as Herceptin which is used to treat Her2+ so don't know why it's recommending it for my diagnosis?

Raitchr, have you checked out the thread for Docetaxel in "going through treatment>chemotherapy>Docetaxel" - it doesn't look a fun place to be!

Hi gillyb. My oncotype score came back as 27, so I made the decision to have chemo. The predict is quite a simple tool and doesn't look at as many factors, though my score on that put me in the chemo recommended bracket with a higher % than the onco score.
Wandestrong - I'm having 6x FEC as well. I have been ok on the 1st treatment - 2nd one next week. I went for a review yesterday and the nurse said the only side effects guaranteed on FEC are hair loss and fatigue. The fatigue is cumulative, so will build up over time though I'm still ok on day 16. I can feel it when I have to walk up hills but it's not stopping me from working and going about the usual daily routine. You have your hands full with the children, so make sure you ask for help when the fatigue does kick in. Wishing you all the best.

Raitchr, I am on my first cycle of EC at the moment and I have 5 daily injections to take which indeed have made my bones hurt xx

Hi there my heart goes out to you especially as you were pregnant and having an op for Bc!  I have just had a lumpectomy no nodes involved and my onco score has returned at 30! SEEMS THE ONCO IS RECOMMENDING CHEMO and I have been researching this all day.

HAS ANYONE USED THE SITE CALLED PREDICT ...IT GIVES SURVIVAL RATES DEPENDING ON THE DETAILS U PUT IN...IT'S AN NHS SITE.

[ Edited ]

AnnieA I am 3 x FEC and 3 x T, the T one is the hardest as in it knocks you off your feet for about 5 days from what I can work out on other threads. I am sure there are daily injections for 5 days. It makes your bones hurt. I have read that the taking hay fever tablets with Loratadine helps to ease the pain, along with paracetamol and hot water bottles. I have been following the March and April chemo starters to stay ahead with info.

AnnieJ thank you for your reply. I guess it's just playing the waiting game then to see how we react. Glad your doing well so far Smiley Happy
I haven't got a follow up with my consultant through yet but I'll be sure to ask similar questions to you xx

Well done you! My husband has done the same about pics of Sinead O'Connor etc. Three cheers for those amazing men. 🍻 😊

Hey treehouse he did amazing, I cried a bit when he first cut a chunck out my hair then I was fine, the verve lucky man was playing on the telly just before we started and I kept making him rewind it back and played it on loop throughout as it made me feel happy. It took about an hour to complete,  My husband choked up twice throughout and said it was the hardest thing he had to do but he said I look hot with no hair. He then preceding to find me pics of lots of women with their head shaved. I have a twin sister and my mum who are waiting to come see me from  work and I know they must be nervous as to how they will react when they see me for the first time with no hair. I think it is really hard on our families to watch us go through this as they feel so helpless. 

Community Champion

Hi Annie A, I am on the same as you. I had clinic yesterday and my consultant actually used the word 'tough'. I am trying not to stress about it at the moment, and am just determined to get through the first three EC's. I am seeing him again in six weeks when he will assess the situation again. He has assured me that any treatment will be appropriate and if I am unable to tolerate it then it stops. I told him I wanted drugs big time re T, I'm not into pain, and he said he wasn't either! Don't know if this helps, Annie, but everyone is different and I suppose until it happens we won't know.  😱  X

Hi misyangel. How did hubby cope with that? Mine has also offered when I am ready. They are watching us go through so many changes. I am massively appreciative of my husband and his support. But I don't look like the woman he only married less than 2 years ago.

Wandestrong so sorry you are going through this and at 34 weeks pregnant when you had lumpectomy.

it is a week today since I had first chemo and I feel back to my old self me and my husband shaved my hair off today, I had long blonde hair before and I was dreading losing my hair but i have to say the relief after shaving my head is amazing and I just feel like it was always there in my head waiting to happen. I have found I get very tired easily and I keep feeling like my blood sugars are low but feel fine again once I have eaten.  

7 more to go. 3 fec and 4 tax 

Treehouse, I was very lossy yesterday but not noticeable yet except for a small thin patch on top. The nurse warned me yesterday that I would lose my hair in approx 48 hours after my 2nd FEC and no cold cap. I slep in my soft bamboo beanie cap last night as I didn't want to wake up with my face buried in a hairy pillow. I've shed less hair today than yesterday so anything could happen over the weekend! How many treatments have you had? Did you cold cap?

Thanks Mai 7 I will add that to the list to ask. Just thought I would share, my mum has come out on a rash on her neck and we think it is a reaction to a new scarf. I have recently bought loads ready for hair loss so I am washing them all now. My face is very sensitive already and I have spots on my scalp but still no hair loss. Anybody lost any yet?

mai7 glad to hear your coping well, I seem to be too. I've only had one cycle of EC but I am too dreading the T part too :/ xx

[ Edited ]

Hello again Wandestrong, good to hear that you and baby are doing well after such a challenging time. I've coped with the FEC really well and have continued to work full-time from home, thereby avoiding exposure to germs. It's lovely that you have good support from your Mum too as she can share your pain in a way no one else can.  I don't know if you've read full history on this thread but there are many tips to find and you can have fun reading our story's so far. Important thing: aim to drink 2litres of water the day before, on the day and the day after treatment to help with side effects and flush your bladder through to avoid irritation. Put some cranberry juice in your water too to assist this process. My strategy is to eat healthy little and often and avoid fizzy drinks  in the first few days to reduce risk of dehydration. I've gone 100% teetotal. Take care. X

[ Edited ]

Hi AnnieA , I'm on 4 rounds of FEC followed by 4 rounds of T so the same cocktail as yours but you don't have the F part of the FEC, just the EC, if that makes sense. I'm coping really well with the FEC Combo but dreading the T part! :-/

Treehouse, are you on T now? You could try taking Loratadine antihistamine which is recommended for bone pain but check with your Oncologist first. My Oncologist was happy for me to take it for eczma and allergies.

wow, I've edited this thread about 3 times as I'm getting people mixed up! ......and I thought my brain function was good before! Maybe a distorted perception of my abilities (apologies in advance for any incoherent babble!)

I think it depends on your definition of harsh. I know my Herceptin and perjeta are what the nurses are most worried about. I have regular heart scans for that. But I think the T seems to be giving me the muscle pain. I will talk to onc next Fri to clarify.

Not that all treatments arnt harsh, I didn't mean that to sound as it did. I just see a lot about the T part that's all xx