Kip

Re: June 2018 Chemo Starters

Well done Reddi!   Glad you are feeling ok, hope you get home today, nothing like your own bed is there.

Oh Dear Sally - another CT scan, whats that for, radio?

Kip

x

Hi ladies

Fingers crossed you get home tomorrow Reddi, nice you have decent hospital food but if you're anything like me, I could have eaten a scabby monkey after surgery I was that hungry.

Nearly a year after diagnosis I thought I was done with treatment. Seems like it's never ending for me. I have another CT scan Tuesday, that'll be my 3rd.
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Reddi 👍👍👍😘😘😘 great news your ops gone well darling and already enjoying food ❤️❤️Take it steady and pace your excercises post op 💪💪big ❤️❤️❤️To everyone and kip happy birthday to your daughter 😘😘💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx

Op went well! Been out of recovery for hours; actually enjoyed my hospital supper of chickpea and sweet potato curry. Seems pretty certain -- at the moment -- that I'll be home this time tomorrow. (Of course, I'm doped up on painkillers right now...)
Kip

Oh dear CDC, I know those knees!  Today mine are so stiff and sore when I get up from sitting or try to go up/down stairs.   I don't know if its chemo, tamoxifen or just the menopause or possibly all 3.  I;m currently walking around with a heat pad stuffed down the back of my jeans on my lower back.. not a good look!

Ooh and a belated happy birthday to your daughter Kip! X

Just seen this Kip after posting on surgery thread. Glad you weren’t already at the hospital for radio when they told you!
Sorry you’re so stiff. I’ve been in the tamoxifen for 3 days and seem to be doing ok on it ( touch wood) but last week I started feeling like someone has replaced my knees with grit. It’s absolutely horrible and makes standing from sitting extremely difficult. I’m wondering if it’s chemo related. I must check with my new BCN. It haven’t wanted to bother her. I’m twenty days post my last chemo and have a stinking cold! I have no temperature and feel fine apart from sore throat and a runny nose, I’m hoping I don’t still have a weakened immune system.
Have a good day everyone and all the best for the op Reddi! Xxx
Kip

Forgot to say, I also got a phonecall from teh physio department and they are passing me over to the lymphodema clinic for some physio as they are the best placed to offer advice apparently.  So still nobody has actually looked at my arm as yet and don't know how long I wait for an appointment.  Woke up today with horrendous stiff legs, back, bottom again... I thought it was getting better.. am really beginning to think the chemo has brought on rheumitism/arthritis which is triggered when it gets colder... already feel 100 now I feel 150..!!

Kip

Hi CDC - I haven't used any hair chalks yet, but might invest in some.. still working on updating the profile.. watch this space!

Didn't get to have my radio yesterday as I got a phonecall mid morning to say the machine was broken and the other one was in pieces being serviced and they had a 4 hour waiting time.  I was offered to either skip a treatment (didn't want to risk that), add it on to the end (didn't want another day added) or go in on Saturday morning.. so Saturday morning it is...not ideal as I have so much to do, but didn't dare go for just 14 sessions.  What a nightmare, but it was good to have an afternoon off, especially as it was my daughters birthday!  Didn't fancy laying there thinking "14 years ago I was having a baby.. now look where I am!".

Sally - that is a long wait to decide to have Radio isn't it!

Kip

xx

Looking forward to seeing your updated profile pic Kip.

What colour hair chalks did you use Kip? My daughters chalks are purple and blue and as well as not having enough hair yet I think the colours would look extremely odd!!

Oh gosh Sally. How are you feeling about the prospect of radiotherapy now?

Reddi- I’ve been thinking of you and really hope tomorrow’s surgery goes well. Good luck!

Hi LJ Glad the end is in sight. I’ve lost one nail but there was another growing underneath. I’ve kept my nails varnished but I can see some very definite ridges.

ktk I’ve just remembered my daughter has some hair chalk. Maybe she’ll let me borrow some!

So I got seen at Guys today and it's been decided I will have radiotherapy after all after being told I couldn't have it. That's something to look coward to in January a long time after surgery (February and beginning of April)
Kip

Hi LJ, lovely to hear from you.   Glad the Rads are ticking off albeit with a nasty journey added in.   I'm on No 10 today of 15 so getting there too.  So far so good, no soreness or anything just the annoying visits every day.   I keep checking and waiting for something to happen, not even sure exactly where they are pinpointing the radiotherapy but just know its chest wall and collar bone... no signs of anything yet.

Your nails sound exactly the same as mine.. the horrible colour and the ridges.   As the horrible bit gets to the top it breaks off so  am hoping it will just grow out eventually.  I keep them painted because I look like I smoke 100 a day if not!  Not a good look when you are having radiotherapy is it.

Glad to hear your hair is coming on nicely too, so nice to have some again itsn't , almost dont mind the white.. everyone tells me it suits me.. not sure on that front but its hair afterall.  I keep trying to update my profile picture on here from bald to skinheard.. not having any luck yet!   IT brain not working as it was I think.

Kip

xx

LJ

Morning ladies.  I've been rather quiet lately - the travel RT is pooping me out and I've just not had the energy. Day 13/20 today so the end is somewhere in sight!  How is everyone else doing on RT?

My hairdresser put a wash in, wash out colour on my hair five weeks after my last chemo. We went for that as it was gentle with no ammonia or peroxide. All has been good with no adverse effects. Regrowth is good - the parts which really thinned on the top of my head are much thicker and my scalp is no longer visible!  But my hair was really before and grows like weeds.  Another fan of the Lush shampoo bar too. 

On the nail front, mine are holding on, albeit not without problems. From the tip to about halfway down they are yellowy which I presume is the result of FEC, then after that I've got three ridges which is the result of T. Three nails are showing signs of detachment at the tip, but not all the way across. I've clipped them very short so there's practically no free edge and am keeping them painted with colours that don't allow me to see through so I'm not tempted to fiddle!  I'm also using latex gloves whenever I'm doing anything houseworky or food related to limit the amount of times I get my hands wet.  Am also rubbing Lush's Lemony Flutter cuticle butter in at bedtime. 

LJ

Looking great Kip! I think it suits you. Is it very different to before chemo. Sally sorry to hear the hair you Lost isn’t growing back yet. Mine looks odd as it’s very short but what I have is sticking up all over the place!
ktk

Hi Kip. Your hair looks great. Mine isn’t as long as yours so still needs covering if I go out. The hair chalks sound just what I need Shi. Thank you!! Love your tree too Kip. I did mine on Sunday. Made me feel very Christmassy !! X
Kip

Hi Sally, mine started to grow when I was having the 2nd lot of Docetaxol, which was about August time.   Since finishing chemo it has just grown quite quickly.  I have been using the Lush "new" soap bar which Shi recommended and was even using it on my bald head!  Not sure if thats helped or not. I did have very thick hair before all this and it grew quickly so perhaps thats why.  I think from research everybody's grows differently and at different times.  Did you have FEC-T?  Sorry can't remember? 

I lost the tip of a nail today, just the horrible white bit, so hoping the rest will just grow out now.   Must try to paint then tho as they look like a mouse has gnawed at them.

Kip

xx

Your hair looks good as it is Kip. It suits you.

How long after chemo did the growing start? I'm over 6 weeks out and so far, nothing. Lost more and none of what I lost has come back. I've had no regrowth at all.

Kip

Wow hair chalks hadnt thought about that..  im As white as Philip Schofield!!  mynails are still in tact bbut the end white bit got progressivly lower but thet dont hurt, imI just cuttjng them very short  and hopjing  to grow out the ridges and nastiness.  Heres an update in the hair....

20181210_182118.jpg

@Shi Fab idea. I have bizarro greyness -- front right and crown, with rest dark. I think it is my natural, pre-chemo pattern, but like @ktk I have been dying for a long time... In my case, something like two decades? So this is my first introduction to it. Ah, vanity. Chalk would provide a fun change for the holidays -- probably NYE for me, as it sounds like I'll still have drains on Christmas and Boxing Day. Festive! And hard to accessorize. Maybe a green gift bow?

Just had my first Herceptin by injection -- 13 to go! (Finishing 12 Sep.) It was so easy after the past 5 months: a quick 5 minutes into the thigh, then an hour's observation. Not chemo, but given in the chemo day unit (and the targeted therapies forums don't seem to be organized in the same way).