Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: June 2018 Chemo Starters

Cdc hope the conference goes well make sure your voice is heard for all of us 😘😘kip told you rads was ok darling 😁😁glad you are doing well in the 😎😎lounge. Just pace yourselves and rest when your body tells you to rest, keep the fluids going too even after finishing rads and cream, cream, cream for about a month after too 💪💪💪get your meet up planned, you all deverve a special treat 😁😁😁 bit of Whitney Houston’s one moment in time on the jukebox for you lovely ladies ❤️❤️❤️💕💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx
Kip

OMG that is fab CDC... daunting I can imagine but very important and like you say there will be others in the same boat.. I can just imagine you all having a little siesta half way through.   Sorry to hear the neuropathy is still being a pain (literally)... I imagined I would finish chemo and bounce back... seems it doesn't work that way. I did some searching and reading on this site yesterday regarding Tamoxifen and its side effects and there are so many women all having the same aches and pains as me and all on Tamoxifen too, it has to be that and the induced menopause that does it.   Apparently you need an amount of oestrogen for your joints/muscles and when they suppress it, you can suffer the aches and pains.  Not sure how you address it though, some ONCs seem to agree with it some just say its not related.  A friend told me that she knows of ladies who suffered this way and it settled after a few months, so I am going to try to continue with the Tamoxifen for a while (haven't even had it a month yet) and also give the chemo and rads time to leave the system and then address it.   Apart from the aches and pains I feel fine really, I'm sleeping better, still waking up like a 150 year old but at least getting some sleep.  I think the Epsom salts do help a bit, they certainly relax me and get me ready for bed if nothing else.  I am also taking Magnesium, Zinc and Vit D to see if that helps, and somebody suggested glucosamine but I need to get these checked to see if I can take them with Rads.  The chap doing mine yesterday didn't know but is finding out for me.  So far Rads have been easy, no pain or soreness yet but expect that builds up.   Its just so time consuming going back and forth to the hospital and I haven't even done Xmas shopping yet.. not sure when I can fit that in eeek!

Let us know how the conference goes...

Kip

xx

How did it go today Kip?  So sorry you’re still so achey. Do you think the Epsom Salts help at all?   I was so desperately tired yesterday and for some bizarre reason my neuropathy is back and making walking for any distance more of a challenge.  I think I’d underestimated how much I’d still be affected with SEs now my chemo has stopped.Was going to try and take it easy tomorrow but got invited Cheryl Cruwys co-founder of Breast Density Matters to take part in the Britain Against Cancer conference tomorrow.  Gulp!  Feeling daunted but excited!  There will be other people going through treatment there so I presume the organisers will understand if we all end up having to sit down and have a nap!  

How is eveyrone doong at the moment?  Thinking of you all xxx

Kip

Ha ha Shi,  perhaps I can enlist the prostate pals too!   Got a full week of Rads this week, first one at 2.45pm today... still feeling ok with it, just these aching joints... omg... don't think I can do a good dance to Push It.. more like... "Achy Brakey" by Billy Ray Cyrus!

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Oh kip 😘😘just get up and have a 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻Pretend you are dancing with me 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻😁😁😁 bit of push it by salt n peppa 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻🤪🤪🤪🤪you are ticking them off nicely now 👍👍👍💕💕✨✨Shi xx
Kip

Hi Shi,

Unfortunately no dancers at my Rads so far... only the 3 "prostrate pals" ( my new name for them as they love to discuss their prostrates loudly for everyone to hear)..  maybe I'll meet some new ones tomorrow?   I had to keep myself busy with a jigsaw again instead.  

Kip

xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Kip did you manage to get any 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻To join you today at 😎😎😎 bit of the greatest showman soundtrack ‘this is me’ needs to be played from your phone in the waiting area to give you all a 👭👭👭💪💪💪💪💪of how amazing and incredible you all are 😁😁😁😁keep slapping on the creams, airing the skin and keeping the fluids flowing, you are all doing great and any concerns over your skin tell them you want it looked at don’t wait for your reviews, keep safe ❤️❤️💕💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx
Kip

Oh that's good KTK, I keep looking at my skin and wondering what's going on in there!
ktk

I didn’t feel sore at all during the treatment. Just itchy like sunburn at the end. I also just wore a vest type ‘bra’, without seams or tight bands. X
Kip

Shi - no potential boogiers at my RT session today, infact quite a dull lot to be honest... not a word from anyone.  Just two old guys discussing their prostrates!  Smiley Frustrated  Maybe tomorrow...

Kip

Well done RedRose, 4 done!  My first one today, was fine, felt a bit weird just laying there, kept expecting some rays of light or something!   I didn't even wear a bra, only having the one very flat boob left its not really noticeable for me so I just wore a very soft vest top.   Do you feel sore yet?  I completely forgot to cream before I left hospital, I had it in my bag but was in a hurry to leave.  Must remember tomorrow, oh and tonight too.

Kip

x

ktk

I took a tube of moisturiser with me and used it before I got dressed again! Just to let you know that my boob is nevertheless dried up and itchy. Maybe a bit blistery! Kx

Hi reddi, I started my rads on Monday so today was number 4/20. Just leaving hospital now and looking forward to getting home, whipping the bra off and slapping on the moisturizer 😆 xx

@Kip (& @RedRose?) Again, thinking of you as you begin rads today. May you get in and swiftly and smother yourself in creams afterward!
Kip

Hello there,

Reddi - goodness me what a day you had!  Glad your eyes are improving.  I had terrrible dry watery eyes after chemo (and throughout the last sessions too actually).  They got really sore from all the watering.  Funnily enough I never really noticed it stopping and only just realised that it has over the last week or so.  I think also due to eyelashes returning?   Can't believe you had to turn around and go back to hospital.. but it sounds like you have a good plan in place for moving forward, and if you can get it done before Christmas you can sit back and recover and be pampered (oh and eat lots!!).  

Shi - thanks for the juke box.. I'm going to check out the locals at the Radiotherapy centre and see if any potential boogiers there!

Kip

x

@cdc Just saw your note in the surgery thread about your friend who's just been diagnosed. It just never stops. Feels like the only thing to do sometimes is scream in aggravation, sadness, and camaraderie.

[ Edited ]

Well, more news from me: I've got a new surgeon, one who is an oncoplastic surgeon, and she is recommending nipple-sparing lumpectomy on the left and nipple-sparing mastectomy on the right with immediate reconstruction using an implant (the only option for nipple-sparing surgery that makes sense for me, given the need to do it relatively quickly after completing neoadjuvant chemotherapy). It's highly likely I won't need radiotherapy on the right side and she feels a breast-conserving surgery would leave me saddled with the worst of all options for more than a year -- it would require rads on that side and leave me with a super strange-shaped mound of tissue to deal with for more than a year. She's also suggesting surgery on 13 Dec, if my immune system is recovered enough from chemo. 

I had been somewhat persuaded that using my own tissue would be better than using an implant, but my mom has implants from having about half her breast tissue removed for fibrocystic disease when she was in her twenties, so I'm also not opposed to the implant option. Having seen a bunch of photos, and talked through pros and cons, including risks, I feel happy with this approach. It will also ensure I have good donor sites intact should I need mastectomy of my left breast later on, or more surgery on the right breast, say, if the reconstruction fails or I have a recurrence.

What an eventful day at the hospital! (And on our 10th wedding annivesary!)

@Kip & @RedRose You both start RT tomorrow, yes? Thinking of you -- with godspeed.

Eye is on the mend. Pressure has normalized and the inflammation is much improved. Thankfully, that means I can stop the drops that dilate my eye, so I should be able to see more clearly in about 12 hours. However, I've got 6 weeks of steroid drops to take -- a very slow tapering -- and my eyes seem to be very dried out from chemo (thus all the watering to compensate). So eye drops for that now, too.

And after spending the whole morning at the hospital, got home at 2:30pm to discover an appointment letter to see the surgeon -- at 3:30pm today. Called and they asked me to come in if I could manage it. So had to turn heel -- arrived just in time, but of course the clinic is running late.
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Kip 😘😘 it’s like the movie ground hog day darling 😘😘but it does go quick promise, now everybody was Kung fu fighting on the jukebox for your lovely 🥊🥊🥊💪💪💪💪👭👭👭👭brilliant beautiful ladies 💕💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx
Kip

Oh Sally that will be a long wait for Rads won't it.   Fingers crossed everything gets moving quickly.   I hadn't thought about what happens when the eyelashes get longer, mine are coming through but still quite short so not a problem at the moment.  There's always something to deal with isn't there.  Sorry to hear you are still suffering with the hair loss, do you think it could be because the folicles were weakened by the chemo anyway, perhaps once they are gone they will start re-growing again?  Once they start they come on pretty quickly.  Thats just anothing thing you could do without.

One more day until I start Rads... actually quite nervous, not sure why as I know it won't hurt and is over quickly...its just being back at hospital again I think.

Today my legs aren't feeling quite so achy (the epsom bath I think) but my back is still stiff across the bottom and round the hips.  

Shi- I'll make sure the tank is fully stocked and ready to rock!

Kip

xx