cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

June 2018 Chemo Starters

Kip

Re: June 2018 Chemo Starters

Hi Reddi, ahh yes the tattoos will be one of the fun things in store. Actually it was all quite quick, a scan, tattoos and some measuring then had a chat and a tour and all done. Was given my first appt on that day and the full schedule when I had had my first one.
I did start Tamoxifen before rads but only about a couple of weeks, so all in all its not been long really and like you said it's hard to untangle what's doing what. When I think since end of Sept I have finished chemo had ANC surgery and 15 x rads plus starting Tamoxifen so I have to be patient I guess. But like you I want the old body back and want it now

@Kip I'm seeing the oncologists this Wed (16 Jan). This was rescheduled from 2 Jan, when it conflicted with my 3-monthly heart scan (re: Herceptin). I'm thinking it will now be radiotherapy consent and maybe planning, too. I know I need a CT scan, tattoos, gating technique and position training... Feels like a lot to get done before I actually hit the sunbed.

Did you start endocrine therapy before / alongside RT, or after? I'm slightly worried about bigger effects on mood and potential for increase in hot flushes, versus chemo-induced menopause (which hasn't abated yet; like my eyebrows, my ovaries are in hiding). I've probably been reading too much on the Moving Forward forum. Perhaps better to wait and see what happens, eh?

Regardless, I think the most difficult thing is teasing out what are lingering SE of chemo and what are SE of the new procedures and treatments. Plus, I'm impatient. (See: reading Moving Foward forums, when I haven't even yet had RT planning.)

@Linda Thanks for that reminder -- bookmarking the link to the PDF.

@RedRose Another interested in a dress update, when you have one. ๐Ÿ’

Kip

Oh I think I read that Linda, I must read it again, it was very good.

Reddi - have you had your planning for RT or is it this week? 

How is everyone else doing?  I'm still aching, tried to call Onc Nurse for some reassurance. am thinking all sorts and need calming down I think but she's on holiday so will have to try to calm myself until next week.   Having read loads of chats on this site many women suffer all sorts of things post chemo and during tamoxifen and other hormone stuff.   the SEs never seem to stop they just change to something else... ho hum...be positive be postive be positve.

RedRose - found that dress yet?

KTK - how are you doing?

Kip

xx

Just remembered an article called After the treatment finishes what then? By Dr Peter Harvey that I read and thought good so will read again when my treatment ends on Wednesday!x

Highlighted

Great news Reddi ๐Ÿ‘

Kip

Hi RedRose.. lovely to hear from you.  Yes a Mrs this year.. how exciting.. and in a strange way even more special because of all you two have been through this last year.   I know how you feel about not feeling like you, I feel like that.   I actually dreamt last night that my hair was shoulder length again and everybody was saying "oh you look like your old self again" and when I woke up and realised it was a dream it was quite upsetting for a while.   I'm sure you'll find a dress that is just what you want, it may be that it isn't what the old you may have wanted but it will be gorgeous and you'll know when you find it.   I am finding I need to change what I wear now, just to take into account the Judi Dench hair cut and being so grey.  I need to wear brighter colours and bigger earrings.. think Pat Butcher and you'll get the picture!  Smiley Wink

Sorry to hear you've lost your nails, mine have all broken very low now so hoping once the re-grow they will look a bit more human.   You should find your eyelashes grow quite quickly now, mine were short and stubby for a bit and then suddently I could use mascara again... fab!   Shame to hear you are aching too, I hope they go eventually, I still ache everywhere and feel 100 sometimes.

Kip

xx

Morning ladies, wow what a lot happening since I last logged on. Reddi my daring Iโ€™m so pleased that your operation went well, I hoping the recovery goes well for you and isnโ€™t too painful.
Yes Kip, I can finally say Iโ€™m getting married ๐Ÿ‘ฐ๐Ÿผ this year! 148 days to go till Iโ€™m a Mrs! Wedding planning going ok but dress shopping a bit weird because I donโ€™t look or feel like me. Itโ€™s strange because I donโ€™t look like I feel I should look like. But itโ€™s all trial and error and Iโ€™m sure I will find one thatโ€™s me. On another good note went to watch the amazing step daughter in young voices concert last night, such a lovely night watching all the children sing ๐ŸŽถ. Iโ€™m tired this morning though, seems to be a on going thing with waves of tiredness. Update on S/E Iโ€™m tired and ache more, all the nails on my hands have come off but seem to be growing quickly, hair now has a reasonable covering all over, one eyebrow growing other not so much and eyelashes slowly coming back. Getting to the point weโ€™re leg ๐Ÿฆต hair needs a shave ๐Ÿ˜ฎ. Not one thing I will miss lol. Radiation treatments wasnโ€™t to bad, have a blister under breast and next to SNB scar and am bruised around the edge. Just like extremely bad sun burn but have a dressing from burns department to help it heal quicker. Now Iโ€™m concentrating on planning the wedding as no active treatment till after then at least, although I do have meetings planned to discuss genetics lineage and double mastectomy and ovary removal or hysterectomy in the next few months. But nothing will happen just yet itโ€™s just to discuss options as I will be taking a while to think as I donโ€™t have children yet.
So for this year or at least the first 6 months the theme is party ๐ŸŽ‰. Itโ€™s my 40th in February ๐Ÿ˜ฑ so looking forward to that. And the wedding ๐Ÿ‘ฐ๐Ÿผ in June. Happy times! Xx
Kip

Thats brilliant Reddi!   And top marks to your surgeon for using her initiative and taking that little bit more to save you another op.. i don't think anybody would complain about having that done.   As so on to Rads, the last leg of the journey.

Kip

xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Reddi โค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธWonderful news darling ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘so pleased for you, thank you for updating us ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•โœจโœจโœจShi xx

Thanks, everyone!

Oh, I should mention: the main reason I don't need re-excision is that my surgeon decided in theatre to take more tissue than she'd taken originally on the left WLE. What good instincts. If she hadn't done so, I'd be going back in for another op. I'm so grateful she made that call. It does mean that my left areola now has a little crease/wink where the scar tissue is tugging at it, and we'll see how that scar tissue, in particular, recovers from rads. But my surgeon has been great about talking through the options for "top-up" procedures on the far side of active treatment, should I be interested in them. (Right now, I'm not, and indeed I think I'll be slightly sad when the blue dye from the SLNBs finally fades away. Weird what you get attached to.)

Great news Reddi x

That is good news Reddi and Iโ€™m glad you can now move forward with rads planning xxx

Reddi, what lovely news, I'm so pleased for you! x

The results are in, and they are good. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Left WLE has 3mm margins; right mastectomy had more than 2mm on all sides except anterior (skin side), which was a bit tight to some DCIS; there was a margin -- no cancer cells on ink -- but it was less than 2mm. However, my surgeon feels the tight margin is fine, especially since that side was very responsive to Herceptin, and I have 12 more doses of Herceptin to go as well as endocrine therapy. (The DCIS in that breast shrunk from 63mm to 34mm, and DCIS often doesn't respond to chemo, even when apparently related IDC is HER2+.) I'll need to watch for any changes, of course, but I am happy to be vigilant.

Plus, the nipple sample was all clear, so the nipple can stay, too. Which is really nice, since my surgeon did amazing work. The scars are going to be barely visible when all is healed.

So my appointment with the oncologist next week will be RT consent and planning for the left breast! It will be a 4-week course, as path found left was (*look at that past tense!*) actually mixed mucinous IDC, not pure mucinous, so they will want to hit the tumor bed.

It's such a delight to finally be getting to the rads stage of this journey. Hurrah!

Keeping everything crossed that you get good results this afternoon Reddi.! Thinking of you xxx

I've only just started to see minimal eyebrow growth (one side only) nearly 12 weeks (or is it 13) after I finished chemo.
Kip

Hi there Reddi and Jencat, on the eyebrow front mine came back about 5 or 6vweeks after chemo, funnily enough I did use to rub the lush soap carefully on eyebrow area!!
Reddi weird about the aches isn't it but I was wondering whether I have been over compensating on one side since surgeries etc.
Cdc hope u got on well at hospital.

Hi Reddi, I'm from the Oct '17 thread and finished chemo in March. Like you my hair has come back well (really thick on top, I've had to have it thinned out twice!) but my eyebrows seem to have given up half-way! I can feel that hairs are there, but they're not showing much yet! x

@SallyG63 Exciting! The voucher would be a complete waste on me (the one time I went skiing, I took out a mother and two small children), but the nice watch sounds fab. Good luck with RT -- 2 down by the time your read this!

@Kip I'm getting the creaky old muscle aches now, too. I don't know if it is lingering chemo side effects or Herceptin side effects or some combo. Some might be walking off-kilter to avoid putting pressure on the spots where my soles are still tender and developing blisters; some might be wakling off-kilter post-surgery. Too many confounding variables.

@ktk You're an empty nester again, now, yes, with all of the brood off at uni? I hope the house doesn't feel too, too quiet. 

@cdc How did your planning meeting with the surgical team go? Less than a week to go! I expect you must be excited and nervous. 

@Shi & @Mishy18 Another fan of the red dot shampoo here -- thank you! ๐Ÿ™Œ 

I get my pathology results tomorrow afternoon, followed immediately by ophthalmology check to see if my eye has recovered from the inflammation in the uvea and the elevated pressure/glaucoma scare. I'm so hoping they sign me off to wear contacts again. I think my eyebrow-creating is seriously hampered by not being able to see anything further than 2 inches away without my glasses. It's always a surprise to see what I've done when I put them back on. No wonder I look like my grandma. Which reminds me:

How long about til eyebrows start to reappear? Mine seem to be stubbornly resistant to regrowth (unlike my hair). But using the red dot shampoo so close to the eyes doesn't seem like a good idea -- cinnamon stings!

Kip

Yayy well done Sally.... thats great news... I love skiing but haven't been for years.. don't think these wrattling old bones could stand it at the moment!  Still have achy hips and knees, but think they are improving (or I am just getting used to them)... and going to try to join my son and husband at yoga classes soon... not sure if I will get up off of the floor at the end.. .but I'm gonna try!

KTK - no scan then... oh well just have to wait and see what/if I get through the post, perhaps nothing until yearly mammo on anniversary of diagnosis (thats what radiotherapy told me would happen).   Feels odd not having lists of appointments to attend doesn't it.   Good odd though!

Kip

x

Well done Sally for getting through 1st radio but also your competition win!  Great to hear some fun news!  Xxx

Sally ... thought Iโ€™d pop on and say congrats on your win plus great youโ€™ve started rads ... hope sessions go well xx

Morning ladies,

I'm so excited. Not for my 1st radiotherapy today but because I won a competion on instagram. A nice watch and a voucher for 2 free sessions either skiing or snowboarding at some place called Chelski.

How do I want to break my leg?
ktk

Hi Kip, no, no scans or anything. Just a chat with the oncologist. He looked to see if my boob had recovered from rads, but that was it! Xx
Kip

I love my red dot shampoo! I can't wait for the Billy Ray cyrus
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hiya Mishy ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜Iโ€™ve already passed in your red dot lush shampoo tip to the terrific June girls ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ladies mishy18 is a fantastic lady who ๐Ÿ‘ญ๐Ÿ‘ญ๐Ÿ‘ญhelped us oct17 through chemo and rads and gave us ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚daily ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜love you mishy ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•โœจโœจโœจShi xx

๐Ÿ‘sorry for gate crashing thread but loving the hair stories I'm a way bit in front of you ladies finished Chemo Dec 17 ๐Ÿ˜จ I have been a skinhead then Jamie Lee Curtis pixie wolverine with the curls arriving I'm not kidding you ๐Ÿ˜จ then 80's football mullet Doris from the bingo complete with a shampoo and set look, the a mess more mess and even more mess ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ currently have a curly wavy short layered type graduated Bob perseverance pays off my advice is if you want it to grow leave the sides and top and just get trimmed at back once the mullet arrives I kid you not I was sporting a one that Billy Ray Cyrus would have been proud of!!! Oh and get the lush shampoo Red in colour called new its magic for your hair ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

@ktk Congratulations! It must be a bit weird, but I am sooooo jealous. Luxuriate in it.

My milestone today: shaved my legs! with a razor! Very exciting.
Kip

Hi ktk glad to hear things are settling down for u. Did u have a scan or anything after treatment finished? It's all a little weird isn't it after all the treatments
ktk

Happy New Year everyone. Good to hear your news. My hair is still only a couple of centimetres long and shades of grey, but looks ok. I think Iโ€™ll definitely keep it short for a while. I had my oncologist meeting on Wednesday. Now it is just yearly checkups and mammograms. It all seems a bit odd not having any treatment but I am beginning to feel more back to normal. I just need to lose some weight and get fit again!!

Just waved son goodbye as heโ€™s gone back to uni. Iโ€™ll take daughter back on Monday. Feel a bit sad, but it has been a lovely Christmas. Kxx
Kip

Shower scrunchie sounds perfect thanks Shi... And I'm on the look out for my 80s perm
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

A shower scrunchie thing makes a good knocker for swimming ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•โœจโœจShi xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Kip ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ฒmine started off as the waves and then went curly whirly whirly whooooo ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคชitโ€™s just long enough now for me to get it straightened at the hairdressers ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘it goes back to curly after a couple of days, shame itโ€™s not the 80โ€™s again weโ€™d be leading the curl revolution and going naahhh not a Demi wave itโ€™s a chemo wave ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคช๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•โœจโœจโœจShi xx

Until I had kids mine was very curly, it just went a bit straighter with each child I had so if my previous curls return to what they used to be ill be happy
Kip

Oh wow Reddi we are all Ken Dodd lookalikies!  

Shi mine is definately not as straight as before but not really curly either..but more like an old lady's waves really... not the best look.. I just need the blue rinse and I'm sorted.. I have the aches and pains to go with it.

CDC - sounds like you had a lovely break.   I am looking forward to trying swimming, even got my swimsuit out today, just need a swimming knocker to put it in,, must get mother onto that.   I think I may struggle with breaststroke too as my knees hurt.  Its strange you are getting the aches too and have only really just begun with the Tamoxifen.   I do wonder if its partly the chemo hangover as I've read similar reports on these forums with ladies sufferings the same.   I've had another bash at the fitness DVD for breast surgery and it does seem to help, definatel finding my neck and shoulder is stiff on the surgery side so hopefully these exercises may help relieve it.  It may also be connected to the pain in my back as I am compensating for the poor side? 

CDC my son doesn't go back to college until Monday, and he's been off since about 13th December!!   I think my daughter was glad to see her friends too (and her boyfriend!!), I think they need someone their age to chat to after a while, I haven't a clue what my daughter is talking about half the time... I feel so old!!  you are so lucky your hair is the same colour as before, I am totally different.. the new me I guess.   Sounds like you still have some questions to ask before the big op but its definately all coming together and will be good to get it overwith won't it.  I have a friend who is having a DIEP next week (I think thats tummy).  She had BC about 3 years ago, had inplant which rejected and then remained flat until now... she's very excited about getting it all sorted out, says it feels like the last piece of the puzzle!!   She is in London too.

Kip

xx

@SallieG63, @Kip, & @cdc1811: Being an expat, I had to google Ken Doddy. Ha! I'm not far behind in joining the Doddy doppelgangers gang.

Encouraging to hear about people needing hair cuts. My hair is certainly growing back quickly and in tufts! Itโ€™s a bit Ken Doddy too Sally especially when Iโ€™ve just woken up. It also looks to be growing back a similar colour to before. My daughter is happy as itโ€™s certainly not red- she wants to be the only red head in the family!

Iโ€™m also very achey Kip even though I havenโ€™t been on the tamoxifen for the last few days. I think it
must partly be just my age catching up on me!
I had a lovely couple of nights away with my OH whilst my Mum looked after our daughter. The hotel had a pool and I enjoyed my first swim in 7 months. It was lovely and relaxing to be on the water it I struggled with breaststroke as my knees hurt so badly doing the kicking.
Your kids went back early Kip. My daughter starts back next Tuesday. Itโ€™s been good to have a long break together before my op but sheโ€™s looking forward to seeing her friends and my ears could do with a rest- sheโ€™s certainly a talker.
Iโ€™m seeing the surgeon doing the mastectomy part of my op on Monday. The team are planning to leave my previous scars alone (from the mastectomy and re-excision) on the right and make a bigger incision around the nipple which will be removed. On the left they may need to go through my previous wound sites as they need to reduce the size for symmetry. Iโ€™m wondering if what Iโ€™m having is a type of skin saving mastectomy? I certainly have lots of questions to ask the consultant.

Hope everyone was able to enjoy the Christmas and New Year Festivities. 2019 will hopefully be a much better year for us all.

Lots of love xxx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

As long as itโ€™s coming back straight ladies enjoy it, I got hit with the chemo curl wand when mine grew back and itโ€™s starting to get a right Jon Bon jovi mullet circa 1986 ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚but hey itโ€™s hair and isnโ€™t it tremendous to actually have it ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•โœจโœจโœจโœจShi xx
Kip

SallyG - ha ha Ken Dodd.. I like it... I look like his crazy twin too!   Who would have thought short hair could be so troublesome!

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting my hair cut soon. I'm nearly 11 weeks PFC and the sticky up bits are driving me mad. I get up looking like Ken Dodd on a bad day.

I took my decorations down on Saturday. Once Christmas is done I want them gone.
Kip

Morning All, just wanted to touch base with you all and see how things are going.  I'm still achey, hips, bottom, thighs and feet (oh and shoulders and neck too sometimes).. not sure whats the main cause, chemo or tamox but hoping to see some improvement soon.. feel so old!

RedRose - how are you doing?  Now you can say you are getting married this year!!!  woo hoo..

Anybody had a first haircut yet?  I am thinking of having a small trim to get rid of the whispy end bits but am reluctant to let any go as yet.. not sure what to do?

My daughter went back to school today, really miss her already and my son is back on Monday so its all back to the grindstone for us... Christmas tree down.. found that hard.. the what if I don't see it again thoughts came whoosing back... had to fight them down!

Kip

xx

Kip

Juat wanted to wish you all a Happy New Year and thank you all for just being there for me!  Heres hoping for a better 2019 for sll of us!

kip

What a lovely remembrance, cdc. xoxo

Thanks for thinking of me and my Mum Shi.  I also feel like we are โ€˜sharing the dayโ€™ with my Dad on his anniversary,  This year we took some flowers from from the garden he loved to add to the wooden heart on his apple tree.  Iโ€™m glad I shared the day with my Mum.  Xxx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Cdc โค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธThinking of you and your mum today, hope the anniversary has been filled with loving memories of your dad. We always do something dad would have loved and still โ€˜shareโ€™ the day with him when itโ€™s anniversary ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜ sending love Shi xx

Good to hear your updates Willie and Reddi.
Glad you are healing well Reddi and hope you fare well on the radiotherapy Willie.

Iโ€™m also feeling very tired Kip. Ive had a lovely Christmas and itโ€™s been relaxing in some ways but still rather busy seeing people every day. Iโ€™m now down at my Mumโ€™s as itโ€™s the second anniversary of my Dadโ€™s passing tomorrow and I didnโ€™t want her to be on her own, My OH is visiting his โ€˜big kidsโ€™ with our daughter. Iโ€™m looking forward to a lie Iโ€™m tomorrow!

ktk Iโ€™ve also lost another finger nail. Oh well. Doesnโ€™t hurt and thereโ€™s one underneath I seem have one ridge at the base of each nail now and itโ€™s obviously a weak point and the nails Iโ€™ve lost so far have just snapped off from there. Iโ€™m very achy and the neuropathy has been bad but Iโ€™m just hoping that itโ€™s temporary and my body will recover eventually,

Iโ€™ve been out shopping for firm control, high waisted pants today in preparation for my surgery. I though Iโ€™d better go extra large but Iโ€™m amazed to say the cheap pair I got from Primark (as recommended by the hospital) are too big even though Iโ€™ve been eating like a horse! Their sizing is definitely wrong.

Red Rose and Shi hope youโ€™ve been enjoying the Holiday.

Hugs to everyone xxx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Sorry reddi detubing got changed to retuning on predictive text, but still weโ€™ve all been in for a retuning havenโ€™t we, itโ€™s called chemo ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•โœจโœจShi xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Reddi ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘on retuning โค๏ธโค๏ธThatโ€™s great news you are healing well ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜ ๐Ÿ‘ญ๐Ÿ‘ญ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•โœจโœจShi xx
Kip

Hi Willie! So good to hear from you.  Your post, though quite serious in subject matter, had me laughing!  Loving the humpty face reference.... That was me entirely...  I  Stil have his body it seems!!  Glad to hear all things progressing for you.  I am day 8 post rads and now starting to see some redness although not sore just looks sunburnt.  Feeling tired today but coukd be post xmas tiredness as its been busy round here.  

Reddi.. congrats on tube out day... Its a great feeling!!  

Kip

Xx