cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 2018 Chemo Starters

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: June 2018 Chemo Starters

Georgie gee 👭👭👭sending you big ❤️❤️❤️Time for a mission set for you 😁😁😁😁 me and kip dare you to macerana to the loo next time you go and report back how many funny looks you get 😁😁😁😁 report back 😁😁😁and as they give you your tea in the morning an impromptu shadow, do, do push pineapple shake the tree 🤪🤪🤪🤪, love you and keep 💪💪💪💪💪were on our way to help you 🥊🥊🥊🥊🏹🏹🏹🏹🏑🏹🏑🏹🥊🥊🥊🥊it and get you home, kips picking us up in the tank 👍💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx
Kip

SallyG whatever you meant it made me laugh!  Shame about the asda ones not fitting, nightmare finding suitable things isnt it, my bras all rub on mh drain at the moment but thr nurse tlld me tk wear one if i cantohelp the scar flatten again.

georgieGee, sorry you are spending another night in Casa Nhs, hope you can swallow soon, that sounds terrible, jope you are managing to sleep ok, are you in yourown room?

Kip

Hello from the hospital

Yes, I'm still here.  I am finding swallowing really difficult, even pills and liquids. So am on IV fluids and antibiotics. It seems like there's something stuck in my throat that stops the food or whatever going down. 

So the doctors want to keep me here and I can see the sense in it, even though home would be nicer. 

Its good to keep up with everyone else on here and see how you're all doing.  Thanks for all the good wishes and I hope you will all enjoy your weekend.

Bye for now,

Georgie xx 

Oh bum! I meant large breasted!

I've got 3 Asda bras but they're not cut right.
Kip

Hi sally, just had a giggle when i read your post, did you mean "Large breast fed ladies" .  Or did you mean large breast feeding ladies,. I  had visions of large ladies bejng breast fed which tickled me!  Have you tried asda on line bras?  Ive never really been jnto ljngerie so not usd to beautiful things but these are fine foe every day and j am also small chested, A cup and find thse fine.  If j wanted something special j would probably go elsewhere but these are pretty.

kip

Xx

It's not that I particularly want 'nice' bras, just comfortable ones. They mostly all seem to be ' construted' of the type that large breastfed ladies need to wear. Having always having quite small bobs I really can't wear those. I can't even wear clothes with tight sleeves because of feeling constricted, not to mention the constant hot flushes.

Hi SallyG63
I’ve really struggled with the bra situation. Before BC I had a gorgeous selection of matching lingerie and I’m finding it hard to accept that my lovely lingerie days are over. I’m wearing a nice enough couple of bras from Royce, they are ok but very plain and a bit matronly, they are also quite expensive. I too was very disappointed with M&S and like you I have to shop and have a feel of the fabric. It’s my ongoing mission to find lovely underwear.
All the best
Jacq x
Kip

Hi .ladies, a lot going on isnt there.

Cdc, glad you got the go ahead for chemo, hope that goes well and you don't suffer anymore SEs.  Tingle feels slightly numb all the time, but every so often i get pins n needles in thumb and hand and down lower arm.  The tip of my thumb is tingly to touch too.  It doesnt feel cold or burning though.

As for the aches and pains, i i have definately had more since end of chemo, stiff joints, especially when getting up from sitting.  If i crouch down its hard to stand up again.  I think its improving week by week but now im stiff from surgery!  Fed up of the drain already, its sore where it goes in as its its over my ribs.  Its still draining too much to remove too.

sallyG .i get my post op bras from Asda on line,  they do some which are just cotton and plain which were mh step up from the front fastening sport style ones and they are normal bra shaped but not lacy and fancy.  

georgie Gee i hope today brjmgs relief from the thrush!

Ktk enjoy that visit with your daughter.

Its a miserable day here, raining and grey so good day for laying in the sofa eating biscuits!

Take care

Kip

I hear Asda do an online bra range now which should be easy to send back if unsuitable 😊
Karen
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Sally, sorry M&S don’t have anything suitable. Does your Mcmillan centre have someone you can speak to, they should know stockists in your area they could suggest you try? ❤️❤️Sending you love and pace yourself you’ve been amazing 😘😘💕💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx

Oh and Cdc, dunno if it's cos I'm off work and am noticing it more but this week, now that I've finished chemo I've loads of bone pain. Much more than I've ever had before. Mainly lower back, hips and legs. And I keep getting cramp in my ribs and around my mastectomy area.

I looked at M&S bras. They're all hideously constructed like scaffolding and come up too high where my scarring is.. I can't wear that. And half of them have lace round them too. I can't wear anything lacy because it irritates me. Nicola Jane have no shops near me and I wouldn't consider buying online without being able to feel the product first...I'm really funny about what material I can wear. I walk round clothes shops just touching clothes and half the stuff I like is out because I don't like the material.
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Georgie gee, time for your thread to borrow our oct17 magic box full of 🔫🔫🥊🥊🥊🥊🏑🏑🏑🏹🏹🏹💣💣💣we got it out at certain points to get the chemo to behave 👍seemed to work for our thread, so 👍sally, M&S and Nicola Jane do a good range of post op bras which will hold your prosthesis, might be worth you having a look 😘😘hope that helps 💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx

Meant to say, I’m getting a lot of pain in my knees and hips especially when going from sitting to standing, is this the joint pain people are talking about? It only happens when I’m moving but I feel very stiff in general.
Not had it before Just wondering if it’s yet another SE?

Hi Sally I really do hope they find something that works for you. I’m still wearing my post op bras from the first time round but figured I’ll hold onto them until my surgery next year.

I got the go ahead for chemo tomorrow. Wahay! Hard to believe I’m feeling so happy to be having another cycle! I’m still on paclitaxel but at 80% dose. I have to go back to see the onc next week for another review. I might continue to have weekly or they might try me on two weeks on and then one week off. Ultimately any more serious issues with neuropathy and they will stop chemo altogether. Unfortunately numble is still causing me the most problems but I’m hopeful I’ll het sensation back eventually. If I complete my chemo I should be finished mid-December so will be able to have a break for, treatment over Christmas thank goodness.

ktk have a super time with your daughter. So glad you’re feeling good now.

Kip I hope you get the drains out soon, I didn’t have any with my TM but when I had my PICO dressings they were so annoying. I imagine it’s a bit similar although the dressings weren’t really painful. It was just all the wires to the motors that got in the way.
Is Tingle slightly tingly all the time? I really hope I stay tingle and numb free after tomorrow’s dose.

Georgie how are you? The oral thrush sounds particulalry horrible. Hope you are being well looked after and medication is helping and you are getting the rest you need.

Best wishes to all xxx

HI everyone,

Glad you are recovering well Kip. Keep up the exercises. I still fund I get unbelievably stiff if I miss just half a day.

Georgie, I can't believe your luck on chemo, you've had none at all. I hope things turn round for you soon.

Just been on to my BCN about a prosthesis fitting. They can't do me at the minute because they have to order something especially for me as I'm not flat, rather I'm concave and sloped off to the left which is going to be hard to sort. She also said I need a proper post surgery bra, which they don't provide, as the cropped tops I've been wearing won't support a prosthesis. Only trouble is I've not found one which isn't uncomfortable. I have several and they all rub and pinch my scar area. Oh well I suppose I'll have to wait and see what they can come up with.

Dear Georgie -- You've had such a rough time during chemo, one thing after the other. Thrush down the throat sounds so painful. Sleep and rest and sleep and rest some more and get those doctors healing you! Thinking of you. 

Hi Ladies, 

ive been moved to another ward now.  Still pretty much the same.  

They are referring me to ENT to possibly look down into my throat to see whether the thrush has moved into my oseophagus (spelling?).  Have some milk shake nutritional drinks to help get some energy inside.  Just feel like sleeping and resting. Can't even swallow pills. 

Glad things are good for you Kip after your op.  It must be a relief that is over.

Ktk, Wales sounds lovely too.  I think I am going to need a holiday at the end of all of this.  

Cdc, keep going as you are, and I hope the right consultant / oncologist team  gets appointed for you eventually.  We have enough to worry about without all of their personality faults!! 

Take care everyone 

Georgie Gee xxx  

ktk

Good to hear you slept well Kip. Keep up those exercises. Gentle stretching will keep the cording at bay. If you do feel it happening, stretch more and it will go away, but not until the wounds have healed!

I am still in Wales. Had a lovely few days with OH and son. Caught the funicular up Constitution Hill, had lunch and walked down. Brilliant views! Moving from Aber to Cardiff today to see my daughter. Feeling good at last!! Kx
Kip

Hi everyone.  Had a pretty good sleep last night probably because i was so tired.  Not too bad today, drain area sore as it's over my ribs and i dont think it will be going today as still draining.  Must keep on with the exercises though, arm up to shoulder level now.

Cdc good news about Numble feeling slightly better, Tingle is slightly too.  When should next chemo take place?

GeorgieGee how are you today?

Ktk hows things with you?

Is everyone bearing up?

Kip

Xx

Oh no Georgie Gee I’m so sorry to hear about the temp., thrush, sepsis and join pain again. What a whammy! Really feel for you.I hope feel better very soon.
How many more cycles of chemo are you due? Could you get to see the oncologist earlier to discuss your options? Concentrate on getting better for now but hope you get some advice soon. Thinking of you Xxx

SB my hair started growing back on docetaxol and I’ve kept it on Paclitaxel but been warned it cold go again. Kip mine is currently fluffy and whiteish too. How are you doing today? Good that you’re already getting some movement back. Hope you can find something to relieve the stiff joints.
Keep those feet up and take care.

I’ve got an appointment with the onc today so will be interested to see what they say. My left foot/toes definitely regaining sensation but right are are still numbish but better than they were. Trying not to think about surgery again until Insee the Breast surgeon at Barts next week.

JacqB Helpful to know about the vitamin C soluble tablets. Thanks

Take care everyone xxx
Kip

Oh dear Georgieg sorrh to hear your news.  Fingers crossed youll be out again soon.  Oral thrush is terrible, do you have fluconozole to take, that helped me each cycle as sokn as it started feeljng sore.

Kip

Hi Ladies, 

So here I sit again in Acute Assessment Unit of hospital. 

Was admitted yesterday after raging sore throat accompanying oral thrush.  Temp was up to 38.2 so couldn't keep grinnng and bearing it.... joint pain terrible still.  

I am wondering what to do about my future chemo.  75% of the dose I needed has still impacted with the sepsis again, and next was supposed to be 50% if this happened.  

Have a chat with my oncologist coming up next week.  She has said that it's a case of weighing up which course of action is less life threatening. 

So so many thoughts whizzing around.  

All the the best to everyone. 

Georgie xx 

Kip

Sb1610, my hair started to grow back betwee. 2 and 3 T too, its its all stayed in place and now got full covering albeit still fluffy short and white!  My nurse said it often grows back on T.

Ktk i also felt so exhausted after last T but by the end of week 3 i was picking up agajn. Although very stiff joints still.    Now stiff from surgery too.  Feel quite well though although fed up of drajn already.  Can lift my arm to shoulder level today so thats good.    Enjoy your break it sounds lovely!

CDC good idsa to speak to your other surgeon, im now havjng to chase hospital agajn as there is confusion over next appointment.  Also before i was discharged j asked about the exercises I need to do as I was told the physio would be in to see me but my nurse so oh you dont need any just take it easy??  After i got home the physio rang to say she came to ward to see me and i had gone so she talked me through the exercises and is sending booklet in post!  Another case of one department not speaking to the other. 

Oh well now putting feet up and lettjng OH take the strain.

Take care

Kip

@SB1610 my hair started to grow again after the third round of Docetaxel. I’ve now got a good covering 12 weeks pit’s my last dose. Sadly it’s all going to fall out again as I’m due to have another four rounds of FEC!
Hi to Kip and Linda and anyone else who’s had surgery recently. I tried to comment on the October surgery thread but that seems to be still archived. I just wanted to say that I started taking high strength Vitamin C soluble tablets just over a week ago and I believe that this has been helpful. My axilary scar has suddenly started to close up and is definitely less leaky. It may just be coincidence but you never know.
All best wishes 💗💪

Hello all

Question for you. I'm between my 4th and 5th cycles of EC and over the last week or so I've noticed that the hair on my head appears to be coming back. Has anyone else noticed this at the same point in treatment? Just wondering if it's a blip or if I can expect it to continue?

Thanks in anticipation

Sue

Hello all

Question for you. I'm between my 4th and 5th cycles of EC and over the last week or so I've noticed that the hair on my head appears to be coming back. Has anyone else noticed this at the same point in treatment? Just wondering if it's a blip or if I can expect it to continue?

Thanks in anticipation

Sue xx

Sorry to hear you’re still suffering so much with the SEs ktk but glad the sun is shining and you’re getting to see your son, Have a restful break xxx

Hi Linda! So please you had the op and hope you’re felling ok. My scars also go up quite high at side but they have healed well since my last surgery in May. Really hope they’ve got everything, Wishin*you a very restful night and please take it easy over the next few weeks. I will try and see someone else at the Marsden before I make my decision regarding surgery. I’ve had such a different first experience to everyone else I know who was treated there.

Kip fabulous to hear you’re home and op went smoothly. Definitely reassuring to see one of the guys looking after you doing so well after his treatment, I’m trying to put yesterday’s debacle behind me and as you say the person I saw should try walking in our shoes before treating people so unsympathetically! I’m going. To tall again with my surgeon at Barts at least she’s very caring and her manner is impeccable.

Hugs to everyone xxx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Kip 👍👍👍💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻Well done lovely ❤️❤️❤️❤️Take it steady and you’ll get that drain out within a few days 👍👍👍👍ktk enjoy yourself ❤️❤️❤️Nice walks and 🌞🌞🌞💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx
ktk

Hi Ladies. Greetings from sunny Aberystwyth 😎. Having a lovely break, seeing my son, very gentle walks etc. If you found my fb page previously you can see the pics.

Glad it has all gone well for you Kip.

I have really struggled with SEs this round. It is three weeks tomorrow and I’m still not firing on all cylinders. More than anything else I am exhausted. I walked about a mile on flat ground yesterday and it finished me off!!! OH has gone for a cycle. I am reading a book!!!

Love to all Kxxxx
Kip

Sorry georgieg meant to sah take care and rest up, hope you feel better soon

Kip

Xxx

Kip

Hello ladies... Im back!!  Well what a pleasant experience.  Was first on list... My prayers were answered so in op at 9, baxk kn ward at 10.30 eating toast and the best cuppa ever!  Sent home at 2.30 now sag on sofa eating stollen cake... Seems even anaesthetic cant stop my eating.  I saw a lovely surgeon, lovely nurses and made experience much nicer.  Hardly any pajn at moment but ask me agsjn tomorrow might be a different story.  Had level 2 clearance in end, they said theh wiikd do whatever they could get to easily, opened same scar but have the dreaded drain!  So another step forward just got to wait 2 weeks for results.  

CDC, what a nightmare you have had, ao sorry its made decision even harder, but definately seek a 3rd opinion if you need.  I often think that if these professionals had walked one week in Our shoes how different they would treat us.  One of the guys looking after me in theatre obviously knew why i was in and said "ive walked your journey, had the same hairstyle and isnt chemo crap".turns out he had bowel cancer and is all better now... Was lovely and reassuring to see him doing his job again and he was so kind, only those in this boat truly know.  Stick to your guns and dont be put off by that idiot!  Hope numble behaves too.

Ljnda glad you are doing ok, well done.

Thank you all for uour good wishes, i really appreciated them, i cried all way to theatre!  

Kip

Xx

Cdc sorry to hear about your experience yesterday. Could you go private if need be as my experience was the opposite?
Op went well. Am on way home now with results on 1st November. Have a bigger scar than i thought at the side but thats necessary sometimes. He said the 2 xrays they did whilst asleep were compared to the mammogram and he thinks he got it all. X

Good luck! Had my TM yesterday.
Linda from May chemo thread x

Good luck for today Kip, thinking of you 😘 xxx

Good luck today, Kip!

@cdc Docetaxel is sold under brand name Taxotere. Regular paclitaxel is sold under brand name Taxol. Nab-paclitaxel is sold under the brand name Abraxane.

@Georgie I've been using the polybalm, but not 3 times a day; usually just 1 or 2 times. Among other things, the applicator for my toenail tube broke while I was trying to scoop balm out of the vial, which has made for a bit of a challenge. So my experiment is not ideal. Nails are holding on thus far, though my finger pads are a tad sensitive, top and bottom, both hands and feet, with a little peeling on my heels and tenderness when I walk a slight distance (usually 5ish miles), despite using Udderly on my feet morning and night. We'll see. Gah, sorry to hear about your other symptoms. I get bone/joint aches and pains, but mostly in week 1 of each cycle -- sounds like you've had it much worse.

Hi Georgie Gee
Ooh that all sounds horrible- you poor thing.
I get confused between docetaxel and Paclitaxel - I know they are both ‘taxanes’. Which one is taxatere? It seems I’m highly sensitive to taxanes in general -I’ve had some skin peeling on my feet and to a lesser extent on my palms whilst on the paclitaxel. I ended up calling my chemo hotline as it’s an ‘amber’ side effect in my chemo diary and needs to be reported.
I hope an early night will help you. I’ve been advised to Be careful not to rub too hard when using creams on my hands and feet
( not specifically nails) as the pressure can exacerbate problems.

Thinking of you and sending gentle hugs xxx

Evening lovelies,

I am on my 4th day of first 75% taxatere. So far the S E's are a bit different to those on FEC.

I have excruciating knee and other joints. Have had to use codeine with nurofen to get to sleep for 2 nights now. First 2 days had a redenned face too so took piriton. Also have lost appetite, and a fruit pastille lolly I tried to take, tasted like salt water. Feel slightly nauseous when I look at any food in my fridge. Skin on my left hand seems to be peeling off on my palm between 2 fingers.

so have come to bed early with sore throat, codeine, nurofen, cyclizine and white count injection, plus using polybalm ointment on my nails - Reddi, how did you say you were doing on this? I hope I am going to have enough! There doesn't seem to be that much in the tubes.... Have had some pain in one of my finger nails so rubbed in the cream a little more thoroughly this time.

All the the best everyone on June and August threads, where I tend to hang out.
Kip I especially will be thinking of your op tomorrow.
Be kind to yourself and take all the pampering u are offered!

Everyone else, lets all be here for one another - we are a great bunch of girls on a tough mission and between us we can all get through together 😍😊😃

Georgie Gee xx

Highlighted

Clare ... what a horrible man. Don’t think it’s helpful at all to talk about being in another country as don’t know what the service is like, wherever he was thinking of !! Very confusing for you but interesting that personally he would recommend a relative to have bilateral mx. Hopefully you will be able to be seen by Ms McNeil, if not go elsewhere for another opinion. Pleased you have given feedback.

Kip .. hoping you get in first tomorrow and get back home asap... hugs xx

Reddi has also left a message about the missing surgical threads 

xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi kip, don’t know if this will help darling, I did google my operation and watched a video before mine, found it calmed me to know what was actually going on while I was under, if that’s not the case for you, then no googling. Take it steady after op, no heavy lifting, hooveringvor anything like that, give yourself chance to knit back together. My surgeon had me wash in hibiscrub before and for weeks after op and it worked well. It’s ok to feel 😳but please trust your surgeon you can do this darling, after chemo it is lemon squeeze promise 👍👍😘😘😘you’ll be 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻Gangam style with the rest of us before you know it ❤️❤️❤️Darling 💕💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx

Loving the new name Red Rose and hoping you can resume your chemo next week,
Kip I’m sending huge hugs and best wishes for your surgery tomorrow.

I had the bizarre and quite frankly horrible experience at the Marsden. My husband and I were hoping to transfer my care there as we’d heard such great things from two people who had their mastectomies and immediate tummy DIEP reconstructions at the hospital. They were both very happy with the surgery and particularly the level of care they’d received, i was expecting to see Ms McNeil as Id been in contact with her secretary. Her resume is impeccable. We got to the waiting room and sat there for an hour. We were impressed with the friendliness of the reception staff and also those we saw coming to take patients to their appointments. They were very apologetic for the delay. We were taken aback when an unsmiling man came towards, without a hint of an apology, and then took us to a consulting room without explaining who he was. Turns out he was a locum consultant. He said he had not been told why we were there and were we expecting to transfer care or after a second opinion. We backtracked and said a second opinion as neither of us felt comfortable with his manner. To cut a long story short he kept saying if I lived in another country my treatment would be regarded as finished as my margins of 0.5mm from the reexcision would be considered ‘clear’. In th UK however, protocol is to do more surgery. Now the possibility of not needing further surgery would be absolutely fantastic news if it wasn’t for the fact we’ve been told by Barts that I need a mastectomy with nipple removal as the areas of cancer they found post my second op are directly underneath. Thankfully I had taken my file with every single piece of correspondence I have ever received from Barts and could show him where this is clearly stated. He told me that having surgery would make no difference to my prognosis and the likelihood of reoccurrence. He showed no sympathy for my situation and made me feel that the Marsden do not usually deal with ‘straight forward’ cases. I know this is not necessarily the case. Eventually my OH asked the consultant what he would do if it was his female relative and he said he’d recommend a bilateral mastectomy due to the significant family history. Talk about confusing??? We did not mishear him or misunderstand as my OH has the good sense to record the appointment. Anyway we left not knowing what to do,, I felt extremely tearful. This consultant showed no understanding of the devastating impact my diagnosis, family history, surgeries, chemo etc.... has had on my family especially with my Mum having a second primary cancer last year, my cousin undergoing surgery for BC this month (she is to have a second re-excision as the first did not get clear margins) and my brother waiting to see if his biopsy confirms skin cancer. This information had just been given to him in the form I had to fill in before he saw me. We spoke to Ms McNeill’s secretary again and she is going to send our feedback to the consultant we saw today and also cosuot with Ms Mc Neil to see if she would be willing to see me herself. I now have very differing advice from two hospitals. Really don’t know what to do apart from seek another opinion from a third!

Anyway for some better news, there seems to be a slight improvement to the sensation in my left toes. Numble on the right is still seriously affected and I am finding it harder to walk as I feel like I’m waslking om semi-frozen feet. I will wait to see what the oncologist recommends on Thursday, There has been talk of reducing the dose again or trying an alternative to a ‘taxane’ drug. Hopefully whatever they decide K can resume chemo this Friday. unfortunately I will not be seeing my lovely onc as he is at a European conference delivering the key note speech in advances in treating TN Breast cancer. I’m sorry but I hadn’t realised his research is into new treatment to extend the life expectancy of those people with secondary TN so hopefully not relevant to those of you with Primary TN BC.

Sorry for such a negative post when maybe I should be rejoicing that in another country I’d need no further treatment. It’s just been a thoroughly frustrating day that has left me with more questions than answers,

Moan over and normal service will resume soon I’m sure.

Take Care everyone.xxx

PS Hope the moderator can get the monthly surgery threads up and running again soon. Thanks for talking to them Jean xxx

I’ve just comemon here to wish you luck for tom Kip, I thought it was just me having probs with it. I wrote a really long post earlier and lost the lot, so frustrating!
Just want to say good luck tomorrow Kip, I know you’re nervous but a wise lady said to me a couple of months ago “you’ve done chemo, this is the easy part’ and you were right!
Hopefully the May surgery thread will be ok tomorrow xx
Kip

Yhats weird i i c still see the may surgery thread but cant reply to anything as its greyed out!  Whats happened?

Thanks Jean
I can’t see the Surgery monthly threads either! Hope those who had surgery today are recovering well and good luck to those having surgery later this week! Sending my very best wishes to everyone xxx

I’ve just emailed the moderators..

I'm at the launderette and can't find a "report forum problem" on the mobile site. Did post a thread in the "Contact the team" forum, however.

@reddi et al ... I’m not alone in the twilight zone ... thought I was going bonkers. A reboot of iPad did nothing ... definitely a site malfunction ... we await the return ......

Sorry, not hijacking his thread but I feel cast adrift without the surgery threads. They were a huge support. Does anyone know why they’ve disappeared? In the meantime, best wishes to all who are about to have surgery x