cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July 2019 chemo starting

244 REPLIES 244

Re: July 2019 chemo starting

Hi,

i had my last Docetaxel and Carboplatin on Friday. It has totally tired me out. Doctor gave me Gabapentine for pains in legs and spine which helped, I can take Paracetamol on top if needed.

I used the cold cap for the 4 sessions and it has saved my hair, although with a couple of bald patches. I meet with Radiologist on 27th to discuss the next stage of treatment.

when this all started back in February, I couldn’t have imagined what was ahead or how to deal with it but we do , don’t we.

Thinking of everyone

Hi Everyone, I am so sorry to hear you have all been in such pain. I really hope it is easing off for you now. I have been totally wiped out for several days being sick. Docetaxol is affecting me differently from everyone else for some reason. I was fine until Saturday then really sick until yesterday. Not what I expected and I am not sure if the sickness was due to the chemo, antibiotics, immodium or a combination of all 3. I have also been dehydrated. Finding it really difficult drinking anything over the past few days. Today thankfully I seem so far at least to be able to drink water so keeping going to try and top up again. Still feel awful and worried about next docetaxol already due next Friday but at least after that it will be only one left. We will all get there. Thank you so much to all of you for all your support. Sending hugs. Xx

AWW

Hi Kip, 

Thank you for this, it helps lifts ones spirit up and help us keep fighting. 

@Kip wrote:

Hello ladies, sorry to hear some of your are struggling at the moment.  That switch over from one type of chemo to another does seem to hit us hard.  I had 3 x Fec and then 3 x Docetaxol and the first T was so hard, I got neutropenia, oral thrush, etc etc.  My ONC said it is often because your body is used to FEC and then wham something new happens.  I did find that rounds 2 and 3 were better and I was better prepared, just took everything they gave me before anything happened!   On a plus note my hair did start to grow back on T.  I also got the aches and pains, caused by the injections too, took painkillers when it got really bad and hot water bottle.   I had the sore nails as well, felt like I had jammed them in the car door.  I never lost any nails, luckily, but they did look a sight, ridges, yellowing and brittle, but 1 year later and they are all back to normal, didn't take long, just kept nail polish on them and nobody knew!. I also got numb tingly thumbs, if you get this mention it to your ONC as it can get worse and they may need to adjust the amount of chemo you are getting.  Mine recovered once I had stopped chemo (about 3-4 months later) and its all ok now.

Hang in there ladies, keep ticking of the days!  On Monday I will be 1 year since last docetaxol...you'll soon be there too.

Kip

xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello ladies, sorry to hear some of your are struggling at the moment.  That switch over from one type of chemo to another does seem to hit us hard.  I had 3 x Fec and then 3 x Docetaxol and the first T was so hard, I got neutropenia, oral thrush, etc etc.  My ONC said it is often because your body is used to FEC and then wham something new happens.  I did find that rounds 2 and 3 were better and I was better prepared, just took everything they gave me before anything happened!   On a plus note my hair did start to grow back on T.  I also got the aches and pains, caused by the injections too, took painkillers when it got really bad and hot water bottle.   I had the sore nails as well, felt like I had jammed them in the car door.  I never lost any nails, luckily, but they did look a sight, ridges, yellowing and brittle, but 1 year later and they are all back to normal, didn't take long, just kept nail polish on them and nobody knew!. I also got numb tingly thumbs, if you get this mention it to your ONC as it can get worse and they may need to adjust the amount of chemo you are getting.  Mine recovered once I had stopped chemo (about 3-4 months later) and its all ok now.

Hang in there ladies, keep ticking of the days!  On Monday I will be 1 year since last docetaxol...you'll soon be there too.

Kip

xx

AWW

Thanks Jencat, 

I have just realised the medication that I was given at the hospital wasn't co codamol, so I have been taking this medication thinking it was co codamol, no wonder am not getting any better.

Called the hospital now and they said Co codamol was missed out at the pharmacy. Thank God for my GP, they are having some prescribed for me right away.

I have an appointment with oncology on Thursday, I have loads to complain about. 

Thanks Jencat. I’ll be having a chat about it tomorrow I think if they struggle with my veins again. 

AWW I’ve had lots of different ones from Claratyn to Boots own. Just the one a day ones. Hope it helps 😊

Hi AWW,

I found the first Docetaxel really hard like you and I also had a lot of bone pain. I ended up with an out of hours doctor coming to see me, who prescribed liquid morphine, which did help. My 2nd and 3rd chemos with T were a lot better though, so hopefully that will be the same for you. I don't know if that was because my body had adjusted to the different chemo (I was on FEC for my first 3 chemos) or because I persuaded my onc to reduce the number of injections I had to have after chemo x

AWW

Hi LMC88, 

Please what anti-histamine do you take? , I am having terrible bone and joints pain.

I started Docetaxel last week Wednesday and it has completely knocked me out, I have had chest pains, flu like pains, mouth and throat sore, diarrhoea, headache just everything, it's been terrible. 

Hi LMC88,

I'm from the Oct'17 group and I just wanted to reassure you about the PICC line procedure. When I had mine fitted, I couldn't see what was being done-I had to lie on a bed and was covered up and also I didn't feel anything. When I had my line fitted my daughter was allowed in the room with me, which I think helped x

Hi Kaytee 

I had a poorly fingernail I just soaked with salt water seemed to help. Also for poorly mouth I tired all sorts but basically drinking lots of water with ice was the best solution. 

Bone and joint aches - I’m on my 4th out of 6 EC chemo tmoro, it was the injections you take which gave me really bad pains the first time. But I read about taking anti histamines and it’s actually helped. I had none of that pain since. 

Im struggling with running out of good veins. My arm has hurt since the last one seems like a pulling pain which is weird. I am petrified of needles so the thought of more prodding and poking for the cannula tomorrow makes me feel sick. I am thinking about a PICC line but again the thought of the procedure gives me palpitations. 

Good Luck to everyone on you’re journey. Xxx

Hi crochet helly

Know exactly how u are feeling

I also thought maybe I was getting away with it but gentle joint pain on Friday turned into more aches on Saturday.  All of my joints ach.  Also had bad mouth and neck so feeling pretty sorry for myself today.

I have been using paracetamol and ibuprofen and think it's a bit better today *fingers crossed*

My fingernails are also hurting like they are bruised, anyone else had that?

Hope you guys are feeling a bit better today xx

Hi Crochet-Helly

sorry to hear that Doxacetel is giving you such a rough ride.. hope you feel better today and the painkillers are helping to ease it . 

That’s my next stop having just done FEC with mixed reactions . Can understand the tiredness .. it just zaps you doesnt it? We’ll get through this somehow ! 👍😊 x 

Hello ladies

After getting off very lightly with the EC, Docetaxel is making up for things!!

Had my first dose weds which went well, then started to feel some joint pain on friday, ended up at the out of hours GP saturday with the pain and am on Naproxen, Cocodamol and oramorph - and I can still feel the aches, like really bad flu and even my teeth hurt, no signs of infection luckily.

Im taking it easy in bed and hubby looking after me, cant taste anything either. Nothing I can do about it apart from go with the ride so thats what I am doing, hopefully will ease off over the next few days.

Hope you are all coping?

Hi lucylump

Definitely got achy hip area like period pains. Have for a couple of days now but not too bad. Took some senna yesterday so waiting for that to kick in. 

Hope your drs appt was ok yesterday and good news that at although the lump is not smaller it seems to be starting to change xx

Hi Kaytee and Crochet-Helly, I was just wondering if you are feeling the bone pain/flu like symptoms from the docetaxel yet? I'm not and am wondering if they are still coming. Thinking of everyone else on here too. Hope you are all ok. Xx

Hi Kaytee, am doing OK. Soft poo yesterday but nothing today though so now wondering if I too need Senna. Will decide later on I think. I do have a UTI though which has not responded to antibiotics so going back to GP this afternoon as need it sorted. Have not had any bad effects yet from the docetaxel. Am assuming they are still coming :-(. I saw my breast surgeon this morning. Lump has not changed in size but it is less prominent so I was happy with that. Xx

Hi lucylump

How you doing today?

Still no movement here so senna tonight I think.

It does make me laugh how easy it is to talk about my bowel movements ( or lack of)lol

Xx

Oh my word Kaytee that is exactly what I was wondering myself! Don't think I will take the Senna just incase but no diarrhoea so far. Thank goodness. Xx Update.....definitely no need for the Senna with me!

Hi lucylump

Glad you are well enough to day to make cottage pie, that's one of my favourite meals :-)

Not sure now whether to take a senna to night to pre empt usual constipation or if that might induce diarrhoea ? Lol

Best wishes everyone xx

Hi Kaytee, I am doing fine today. Reading back on other posts it takes a few days before the side effects of docetaxel kick in so I have been making the most of it and been up early making a cottage pie for later in the week. No constipation or diarrhoea yet. Have also been using mouthwash in hope it will help reduce the sore mouth bit. Fingers crossed! Xx

Morning all

Had first docetaxel yesterday, it took 5 attempts to get blood on Monday as my veins are so bad but they managed to get the cannula in on only third attempt! Lol. Luckily I am ok with needles so wasn't to tramatic. The actual chemo went in easy and feel ok this morning,  fingers crossed that will continue but have been prescribed both constipation tablets and diarrhoea tablets so guess I have at least one on those to look forward to :-)

How are you feeling to day Lucy lump?

Sorry to hear your emotions are all over the place at the moment as Lucy lump said it's such a roller coaster.  Most of my neibours have been great, offering help etc but thetes not much anyone else can really do to help.

Always hear to talk if you need to x

Best wishes everyone xx

Hi Crochet-Helly, 

I am so sorry you are having a difficult time with emotions. I am sure we can all relate to that and that it is perfectly normal in our circumstances. It is the biggest roller-coaster of emotions most of us have ever been on and we all want it to stop! You are half way there with your chemo now though which has to be good. I had my first docetaxel on Monday and so far I am ok and I think Kaytee was having hers today. 

I have a VERY small number of family members and sometimes I think that is a major advantage! My neighbours though have been rubbish! It is obvious I haven't been to work since May 10th. It is also obvious my hair has fallen out and that I get taxis which most of them should guess are to hospital. Have they asked....no! They asked other people but not one has asked me what is wrong and if they can help. They have even come to my house to pick up parcels which I take in for them because I am here and even then they grab the parcels and leg it! Mmm just tells you more about people. On a positive side though some of my friends have been fantastic. My very best friend who I met in my first week at University 34 years ago has been amazing. She can't help in a practical way because she lives over 300 miles away but she said that if I had to do something hard she would do something hard with me and she decided that she would do a 10K. She has never been an exercise fan so this has been really hard for her. When I started my chemo she started running from literally nothing and last week she ran her first 5K park run. I am so proud of her. She has also signed up for a 10K and let me choose the charity she will be running for. I chose Cancer Research Uk and asked her to pick a second charity as well because we are both in this together. 

Well done for decorating your room and doing your blankets. That is fantastic. I have done nothing any where near as impressive. Xx

Hello ladies

Pleased to read that your are all keeping as well as you can, although I have been following you I have not felt up to writing but your virtual support has helped me immensely.

I have had 3 EC's now and have my first (of 3) T (docetaxel) tomorrow so have started the steriods as prescribed today and nurse managed to get my bloods today in her first try which pleased me immensely.

Have been coping well with the side effects myself so far, the taste changes are annoying, vein pain in my arms is tolerable, hair loss is what it is altho eyebrows and lashes are still hanging on in there!! I have been struggling more with 'staying strong' and 'keeping positive', I think its just the out of controlness, feeling angry that I'm going through this and then feeling guilty that my chemo is precautionary so I should be grateful, and feeling sad for my family who have to ride this roller coaster with me. I fear that I am going to upset family before the chemo is done as Im getting increasingly upset when everyone sends good luck messages on the day before chemo - it just makes me think more about the needles which I hate, I would prefer if they could just send me a supportive emoji instead - no words needed, but dont feel like I can tell them as I don't want to upset anyone. Does any one else experience this or is it just me?

On a positive note, over the last 9 weeks, on my good days I have managed to completely redecorate a room and make 3 crochet blankets which has really helped me to focus on the here and now and forget the chemo for a while.

Sending positiveness to you all xx

Hi lovely ladies hope you are all ok and Kaytee hope your docetaxel goes ok today too. I had my first one yesterday with no problems which was a relief after Friday. I found out today that my local leisure centre does free Move More session with gym classes run by MacMillan so have signed up for it. I am guessing these are held in other areas too so thought I would mention it incase any of you are interested. Thinking of you all. Xx

Hi SusieB and minimad 

thank you both  for your helpful replies . Worth bearing in mind if it’s a problem getting a cannula in on Wed ... it may be the answer ! Hope your continuing treatment goes well too .

Enjoying my last couple of ‘ normal ‘ days before Chemo World again 👍🏻😂

Hi SilverPixie

I've popped in from the February group and saw your post about a PICC line. I've had one in since February. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it and now it is just part of me. It's even got a name, Klingon. The only downside is having to have it flushed through and checked every week, but that only takes a few minutes. Like mini mad, on chemo week bloods are taken and line care done on Wednesday ready for chemo session on the Friday. I'm on a trial  (chemo, surgery, chemo, rads) incase you are wondering why my line has been in for so long. Oh, you can't go swimming and the line needs to be kept dry when showering but you'll be supplied with a cover. On the plus side, no more painful cannulas,  no needles for bloods and antibiotics can be pushed through the line if necessary, hopefully you won't need the last one. 

Susie  B  xxx

Hi SilverPixie,

ive jumped in from The June chemo thread...   you mentioned PICC lines.... i had one as i was having my Paclitaxel every week for 12 weeks....im not good with cannulas in my hand ( they could only use one and it was getting sore )

i used to have my picc line flushed and dressing changed and then my bloods taken on a wednesday and had my treatment every friday.

if i can offer anymore advice please just ask.   Mini mad xx 💖

Thank you so much for your messages ladies. I have had sore veins too in my fore arms. I mentioned it to the nurse just before my 3rd treatment of FEC. She said that she wasn't surprised and that this is really common with FEC but didn't do anything about it. 3 weeks on though I have to say the pains are much better - hardly noticeable so hopefully you will find that too. Kaytee I have my first doxetaxel on Monday. We can compare notes next week! Silver Pixie your exercise class sounds great. Xx

Hi LucyLump, 

I’m sorry to hear you had a reaction to the Perjeta but glad the nurses sorted it out quickly and effectively, ( though it must’ve been scary at the time 😳 ) and you are ok today.  I think I am one dose behind you, so when you say six weeks till your last one , it makes mine seem possible!

I’m halfway through on the next one Kaytee and like you,  have sore veins , in so don’t know how they’ll manage that . Does anyone have a PICC line and how does that impact on your week with reg checks and cleans? 

I went to a post surgery exercise class yesterday ..20 ladies there ... and we had a good laugh trying to get balls up walls ! So nice to have support both here and in other groups . 

Sending you all best wishes .. we can do this ! xxx

Hi LucyLump,

I was sorry to hear that you had an allergic reaction but glad that is got sorted quickly. I am not sure if I mentioned but I had a bad allergic reaction for Docetaxel since he first round which they try to sort which is premedication which is high dose of steroids. It worked in well till my 4th round yesterday, when I had a moderate allergic reaction 3x during getting Docetaxel ( had no issue with Herceptin, Perjeta and Carbolatin), they handled it well but after the third one they stopped it. So at the end I got around 15% less Docetaxel than I usually get. I hope they figure out something for the last 2 sessions. 

Same as you, I can’t believe I am only 6 weeks away if getting through the tough part of the chemo, even if I have another 12 cycles of only Herceptin+Perjeta to go. They say the side effects or hose two are much milder and it really seems that Docetaxel is the one that gets me. 

How is everyone doing? I wish all of your lovely ladies strength, we will get there!!!

xx

Hi Lucylump

Sorry to see you had a reaction but glad they sorted it and you are feeling better today. Bet that was scary but sounds like the nurses were great (as usual in my experience). I had a weird reaction to mine last time, a bad stinging sensation in my arm and they were quick to sort it.

I was surprised and pleased by your note of 6 weeks to go. I'm still only half way through but 6 weeks sounds do able :-)

I have my next one on Tuesday. I am going straight into docetaxel, it my  first on this so hoping not to have to many side effects but I am worried about the veins in my hand, they are still bruised and sore from last time. I have a meeting with the specialist on Monday so will discuss with him.

Best wishes everyone xx

Morning lovely ladies, hope you are all ok. Yesterday I had Herceptin and Perjeta and I go back on Monday for the Doxetaxel. Herceptin went fine but I had a reaction to the Perjeta whilst it was going in. Temperature went bonkers - really high - but I was freezing cold and shaking uncontrollably. They gave me antihistamines, paracetamol and steroids I think which calmed it all down and today I feel fine. Thank goodness. Was a bit scary although nurses were great and obviously seen it all before. Think I panicked a bit and got worried they would not give me the Perjeta again but nurses said they would probably give me the antihistamines etc in advance to prevent it happening so fingers crossed. I already have my next chemo date on 27 September. Can't believe that means if all goes to plan last chemo is six weeks yesterday. We are getting through this. Sending hugs to you all. Xx

Thank you so much Bod. I am really hoping it will zap these cells. And hoping everyone else's cells are being well and truly zapped too! Xx

Hi Lucylump, 

I’ve been on Herceptin, Perjeta and Docetaxol, along with Carboplatin from the start of my treatment andnoticed an almost immediate reduction in my huge lump. Herceptin and Perjeta are wonder drugs.

good luck xxx

So....yesterday I was in a panic because tooth chipped and I was worried dental work would delay treatment which is due tomorrow. Managed to get lovely dentist to fix it so all good. Then had pre treatment phone call from Hospital...they had forgotten I need an echocardiogram before starting herceptin so I now have to go for that tomorrow instead and go in for treatment for six hours on Friday (Perjeta and Herceptin) and then back again on Monday for doxetacel. Will get there in the end. In meantime have extra day of food tasting good so fully plan to make the most of it! Hope you are all ok. Xx

Hi LucyLump 

I've written a reply to you in our Feb 19 forum. 

Susie B xx  

Hello Lucylump

I’m sorry to hear that your result hasn’t been more definitive. Can understand your disappointment,  but  the next lot of treatment will do the job and zap it good and proper ! 

Sending you a hug .... 

best wishes to all you July ladies ... keep on keeping on ! Xx

AWW

Hi LucyLump, 

Sorry to read this, I can imagine how you feeling, please keep strong and be hopeful, we will all beat this.

I am sending big hugs your way. 

Cheers xxx

Just received letter from my Breast Cancer Surgeon to say the ultra sound showed no significant reduction in the size of my tumour. He did say this is often the case and that he wanted to reassure me that reduction is often seen with the more targeted drugs (herceptin and Perjeta in the second) half of treatment. Still disappointing though. Xx

Mmm that was a bit annoying. Radiology lady said she couldn't tell me the results of the scan because the images had to be compared to to the last ones which were done on a different machine. Will have to wait until next week to find out. Arghh....Xx

Hi Lucylump

I think I will phone the park and see if I can also use their blue badge area cos as u said by the time I walk to the office to get a scooter I will be exhausted!

Good luck with your scan today xx

Hello LucyLump ! 

I just want to wish you good luck for your scan today .. I’ll be thinking of you and sending positive vibes 👍🏻😊

I agree about the blue badge spaces , I could have done with one the other day when calling into a store .. but somehow we muster up the energy from somewhere 🤔

Sending good wishes out to all you July ladies .. we’re  getting there xx

Hi Kaytee, I think hiring a wheelchair is a good idea. Most big places including big shops have them you can borrow too. I know what you mean about the tiredness and really wish that we could get temporary blue badges to use in our bad weeks. I was going to go to an agricultural show a few weeks ago and I contacted them in advance and explained that if I walked from the back of the car park I would have no energy left for the show and could they please let me in the blue badge parking area. They said yes. In fact on the day I was too tired to go but I do think asking in these situations is well worth a try. I have my mid way scan this afternoon. Bit scared! Was thinking lump was changing but now not so sure. Xx

Hi ladies

I have had my 3rd round, no sickness for the first time but did have emend and something else ( not so good on the bottom, but things moving now, hurrah!! ;-) )

I have been very tired, but finding getting to sleep difficult and if I get woken up I cant always get back to sleep easily 

I love Iona and mull too, so will try a walk around there tonight ........ ;-)

Going to try to take the kids out for the day on Wednesday ,zoo or something, thinking about hiring a wheelchair cos walking is exhausting but feel unsure about it. Slight embarrassment and partial not wanting to give in to it but I think it's better than total wearing myself out?

Night All xx

LucyLump,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I will try these tonight, you are a life saver!!! Xx

Hi Flower, lovely to hear from you. I am so sorry you have been having such a bad time with infections. Coping with insomnia is really hard. There is nothing worse than tossing and turning and getting frustrated about not being able to sleep and the more frustrated you get the less likely you are to actually sleep. If you google insomnia it will give you all sorts of ideas from clinical psychology including most commonly telling you to get up and go and do something really boring. I am a clinical psychologist and I think that most of the time in our current situation we are too tired to actually do this! I was lucky enough to be trained by Colin Espie who is a world sleep expert and one of the most useful pieces of advice he ever gave me was to 'tell yourself it doesn't matter if I am not asleep relaxing in bed is just as good'. If I am having difficulty sleeping (and I am just now) I tell myself this and even though it sounds odd it actually does help. The other thing I do is 'go on journeys in my head'. I like going to Iona so I imagine myself walking up the slip way off the ferry trying to remember as much detail as I can of what is there as I 'walk' round the island or I imagine myself walking up a shopping street in a city trying to remember what order the shops come in. These things can help distract you from the frustration of not being asleep and that can make it more likely that you will actually get back to sleep quicker. 

We are all doing so well getting through this. Sending hugs to you all. Xx

Hi Dot and everyone,

Sorry, I haven’t been here a while. I had manny issues in my past 3 rounds including severe allergic reactions from cycle 1 which finally got sorted Smiley Happy. I also went to back to work which feels great but takes up lots of energy. 

I am currently battling with a bad throat infection and I am on antibiotics. Hopefully it will get sorted soon as well. Smiley Happy

I am so proud of all of us kicking ass.

Dot, I am in Carboplatin+Paclitaxel+ Herceptin+Perjeta since the beginning, and have another 3 rounds to go from the same before saying bye to Carboplatin and Paclitaxel. I start to take Claritin  a day before chemo and continue for another 8 days for joint paint and it worked perfectly so far. I think it is good for both Paclitaxel and Neulasta induced joint paint however I started to take it because of the Neulasta. 

I love the grapes as well!!! Smiley Happy 

Paclitaxel was/is difficult for me as I am hypersensitive to it but we still try to push it through with an extended course of steroid which is not the greatest to my body but at least I can cope. 

Is anyone battling with insomnia? It’s been pretty bad since the beginning, and it is killing me. Had sleeping pills but they sometimes work, sometimes don’t, and even if they do, I am up in every 2-3hours. Anyone advice would be greatly appreciated! Smiley Wink

Love you all and thinking of you 

xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

😘😘pace yourselves ❤️❤️ you are ticking them off nicely 👏👏👏give yourselves a little celebration treat each one, a new lippy or whatever the steroid induced shopping has you doing 👍👍💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Yay! Silverpixie no sickness. So pleased for you. I am sure they will give you emend next time too. Tiredness for me after FEC2 was worse than after FEC1. Xx

Hello all!

well here I am Day 3 and no sickness ! Yay!! Had the emend tabs and so far it’s worked . Feel washed out but that’s to be expected ... hope I get the same for last FEC in Sept . Hope your all ok .. good luck for those with chemo this week .. how do you all remember the questions for oncologist? I get home and think l never said this or that ? Or can I blame chemo brain 🙄

anyway we’re all trying our best to get through and your support on here is so appreciated xx