cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July 2018 Chemo Starters

291 REPLIES 291
Highlighted

Re: July 2018 Chemo Starters

Hi @Beckett I still get pins and needles -- like you, more in my hands, with occasional pricks in my feet. Were you on docetaxel? It is a common-ish side effect, and one that can linger for quite some time (and in rare cases, stick around a long time, or never go away). My last chemo infusion was 16 November, so it's been sticking around for me, but getting weaker. Definitely mention it to your oncology team, as they may want to monitor it.

Hi Shi
Finished chemo 4 weeks ago. Mainly in my hand but odd times in my feet. I'll get to the drs tomorrow. I have surgery 31st so don't want any issues

Becks x
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Beckett have you finished rads or are in rads? And is the needles and pins in your arms and hand? I used to ring the rapid response about anything because I just wanted to get through safely and I’d rather find out it’s all ok than to leave anything to chance, keep safe darling ❤️❤️💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx

Hi all
Hope You had a good day yesterday. Has anyone experienced pins and needles? Really bad at The moment. It wakes me up in the night.
Beck x

WBC trough = white blood cell trough (days 7-14 of the cycle). I typically can say goodbye to side effects by the end of it.

What's that then? Sorry it's tough xx

Congratulations, Beckett! 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉Celebrate! It's such a nice feeling, right? I'm midway through my last WBC trough right now, counting the days (as ever). At the end of that, I'll really feel it's done and dusted.

And my last chemo session is done! Thank the lord!!
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Beckett ❤️❤️❤️Well done braving the shave. There are arm guards you can get for gardening that I know some ladies use to protect themselves while gardening. Your hospital should have a lymphdaema person who you should be able to discuss everything with. I carry hand sanitizer with me everywhere and if I get a nick or paper cut, I slap that on. 😘😘💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx

Hi all.
We should all be nearing the end now. Had a 1 week delay due to low white cells but did me the world of good. Surgery next for me. My main worry is the lymphedema. This seems awful! We go through so much and then get this thrown at us! Any advice??
Had to finally brave the shave too.
B
Xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Will help or not darling 💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Beckett, not sure if it’s the same thing, but my trust offers lots of support therapies etc? Some people use them and some people don’t, everything is your choice darling ❤️❤️Not sure if that

Hi Ladies,
Hope we are all keeping well. Has anyone been to the recovery meeting? I received a letter about attending one and wondered if it would be any good?
B x

Thanks Karen! 1 to go? Must feel great! I've messaged you.

B xx

Hi Beck,

Not posted for a while but still pop in to follow you all. I am now on track for op discussions as chemo is down to one to go 2nd November, yay...
I too am due to have just my left boob removed but am going to try and push for both off. All the recon options are confusing and as having rads after not sure what I can have as yet. It’s just the next step forward and has to be better than this chemo, we have done the hardest but now I think.
I do however have two friends who have just had recon who have kindly sent me pics of their new ones 😊. I can send them to you and see what you think, they said they don’t mind 🤣. Just send me a pm with an email address if you want to have a look 👍🏻.

Hope you are al doing well 😘

Karen
ktk

You will be fine B. And well looked after. No one can tell when you are dressed. Just don’t walk around your town naked too much 🤣Kxx

Thanks ktk. It's the part I'm dreading the most. Coping with just one boob etc.
B xx
ktk

TBH Beckett, surgery is the easy part!! Chemo is much harder. Also psychologically you are physically removing the cancer which is great!! Good luck. Kx

Morning all,
3 nights taking my fizzy c vit before bed and my night sweats have not been any where near as bad as usual!

Is anyone on here due for surgery? My surgeon appt is 2.11 for discussion. Very nervous about it.
B x

Oh ok! I will give it a try...will let you kmow! First 3 days are the worst and it's treatment day again tomorrow.
B xx

@Beckett Well, I ate a kiwi fruit last night. Still had a hot flush overnight, but only once that woke me. Further testing needed!

Thanks! Will give it a try xx

@Beckett Someone I met at a nutrition workshop at The Breast Cancer Haven in Fulham suggested eating a kiwi fruit before bed to help with night sweats, possibly for the boost of vitamin C. I haven't done this yet, so I don't know how well it works, but it might be worth a try.

Hi all.
Hope we are all keeping well. Feel like I'm flying through chemo! 6 more to go!

I am sufferring with really bad night sweats though. The chemo seems to intensify them by 100! Any suggestions? I'm on weekly now.
B xx

Hi all -- I started chemo 29 June, so mostly post on the June 2018 chemo starters thread. However, as I had a 2-week delay between FEC cycle 3 and starting 1st of 4 TPH, I'll be ending my chemo journey with the July crowd (that is, if no more delays). ETA cycle 7 on 16 Nov, with day 21 landing 6 Dec. So I thought I might start posting here, too, where my cycles line up, especially as some of you July starters are ahead of me now! 

I can't recall if I shared Dx details on this thread, but I'm having neoadjuvant chemo for bilateral breast cancer -- one side IDC/DCIS/LCIS HER2+, the other mucinous HER2-, both ER 8/8; no lymph nodes involved. Surgery to be decided after post-TPH MRI in November. Then hormone therapy (most likely Zoladex and aromatase inhibitor) and possibly/probably radiotherapy. Would love to hear from others about post-chemo treatment planning meetings -- and will share what I learn in case it's helpful.

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi sue, mine raised by 4th to 5th one, I didn’t get a delay but they kept close eye on things. I was really good with my diet and just drank water throughout chemo and they still raised. I think the liver and kidneys take quite a battering on chemo. Your unit will monitor you and keep you safe darling 💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Hello all

I've had a bit of glitch in my treatment. My blood tests showed that one of my liver enzymes was quite high so they are delaying my 4th treatment by a week to give it time to settle down. Wasn't the news I was expecting as so far I feel as though I've been quite lucky with the fairly minimal side effects I've suffered in comparison to some of you.

I feel fine - really my pre-chemo self so I'm hoping it will sort it's self out.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm on EC regime

Thanks, Sue

Hi Karen I’m from the June thread but was interested to read your comment, So sorry to hear of the infections and neutropenia. You are one strong woman getting through all of that! I only had one cycle of docetaxel (I am about to start weeklyPacklitaxel due to developing hand/foot syndrome) and I craved sweets after it, particularly things like fruit Pastilles and gummy sweets like Haribo. Most healthy food especially Fruit and vegetables just didn’t appeal The needing energy makes sense I do hope the reduction in the dose will help you get through the last two cycles.

Good luck to all of you on this thread. Hopefully it’s not too long to go now before we can all say Goodbye chemo 👋 You won’t be missed!!

Take care

Clare xx

Hi Ladies,

Not posted for a while but been following the comments.
Lal I just wanted to say my first T was horrific and I spent quite a time in hospital starting two days after the treatment. Infection, neutropenia, another infection. The dose was reduced for this cycle from 100% to 75 and I have steroids which have finished today after treatment last Friday. I have been much better and feel I can cope with the last two now. It might be worth the discussion with your onc.
As for the food issues I can’t eat anything healthy I just want rubbish and sweets which is unlike me. What is it with fruit pastilles I am eating a grab bag a day of the sweets 🤷‍♀️. Maybe we just need the energy.. still managed to lose 8kg but the upset tummy isn’t helping with that I guess. Been told to drink complan as only 60kg and they don’t want any more weight loss, milk gives me indigestion though on the antibiotics. Soon be finished with chemo and it can’t come quick enough 😊
Sun is shining and not too hot we should try and enjoy 😎

Karen x
Community Champion

Hi Ladies, I hope you are all doing well. x

Right now the government has extra funding to allocate and we need to make sure breast cancer gets the priority it deserves. I've shared my story, please share yours:
https://breastcancernow.org/get-involved/campaign-with-us/take-action-now/55000reasons

Hi all
I'm glad to hear it isn't just me who is craving carbs! All I want it toast! Put weight on and feel like I need to get a grip on my diet now.
B x

Thanks for food suggestions Jay - I have already gone down the white carb route so will stick on that for a bit. Have just tried scrambled eggs - felt protein might help as I am feeling extremely lethargic- so far so good!

Hi Lal67 - well done you on getting to day 9 after first T. I had chemo last May-Aug, started on ECx3 and onto T(plusH&P)x4. I found the T much harder too!

Food suggestions - stay off stuff you enjoy!! - in the 2 weeks of worse side effects I could only eat rice pudding/custard/mashed potato/white bread/instant noodles/cuppa soups and fruit pastille iced lollies - I don't think I've managed to eat any of those now without thinking back to those horrid days!

Basically the more carbs you eat (ie white bread/potato etc) the better your stomach will feel. Also it helps with the diarrhea of which I used to spend weeks 2/3 suffering!

Hope this information helps - it is a long journey and the side effects are not pleasant but I'm still here today and that's worth any amount of nasty stuff!!

Take care and honestly, this time next year it will all be a shady memory! xx

So day 9 after first T and I can see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel- have found this so much harder than FEC. Not looking forward to doing it 3 more times.

Any food suggestions? Have still got the manky mouth and no taste buds - alongside very sensitive stomach - tend to feel better once I have eaten something but wary of how stomach/bowels are going to react a few hours later.

Lal
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi sue, beauty despite cancer do a nice scalp care kit, I used that one and found it really helped. Also I slept on a silk pillowcase another tip I had given to me prior to chemo. Hope that helps 😘😘😘💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Hello ladies

Does anyone have any tips on what I can use on my scalp - it's quite dry at the moment. Wasn't sure if to use face moisturiser or body moisturiser or if there is something out there more suitable? I've read about olive oil or almond oil - has anyone else used either of these?

Thanks in anticipation,

Sue
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Please be careful if you use a razor because of lymphodeama or cuts that could give you infection whilst on chemo, most of us buzzed to grade 1, then it just went on it’s own because of the chemo. Please keep safe and get your make up on too before you buzz, no reason not to keep up the glamour 💄 😘😘😘😘 keep 💪💪💪💪 it does grow back 😘😘😘💕💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx
ktk

Yes. I used scissors to cut it as short as poss, then the clipper setting then full on shave. I did it dry, but his is a wet and dry and I took it into the shower once a week until I didn’t need to!!! Don’t forget to moisturise your scalp and think of all the time and money you will save not having to wash your hair 😁. Kx

@Beckett On earlier chemo threads (pre June 2018), I saw people recommending using setting 1 on the clippers for the first buzz. I assumed dry shave, as that's how barbers do men's hair.

Ok. Thanks. Dry shave? X
ktk

I used my son’s electric razor!! It took ages though. You could go to your own hairdresser. Cut it close with scissors first.

Hi
Hope everyone is ok? Very quiet on here...
My hair has given up the ghost. How do I go about shaving it off? Xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Beckett ❤️❤️Glad you are ok, was getting bit 😳as not heard from you, keep 💪💪💪💪😘😘😘😘💕💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx

I'm good thanks. Bloods ok so start the new chemo drugs on Friday and that's weekly for 9 weeks.

Becky xx
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Beckett, how are you darling? ❤️❤️💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Thanks Reddi
X

I hope the bronchitis clears up soon, @Beckett!

Turns out that I have bronchitis, hence the back pain

Turns out that I have bronchitis, hence the back pain

Ok. Thanks. I will x