cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July 2018 Chemo Starters

Re: July 2018 Chemo Starters

Hi everyone, just checking in to let you know how it went.  

I got there at around 10.10, had to go through some formalities, double check and sign the consent form again.  I had the pics line checked and some steroids and anti sickness drugs given to me.   We got cracking with the serious drugs around 11.30.  I thought it might be a boring old process for Gary, my OH, to sit through so I sent him off to the gym. 

Dr Pollyanna had told me the treatment took 1-1.5 hours but the nurses, again, had rolled their eyes so assumed that was wrong.  Turns out he was right, in theory.   The first drug, the E in FEC, went in first, took 10 mins, very gentle.   Then the other two lots of drugs went in and we were done in about 50 mins in total.  Dr Pollyanna, I apologise for my cynicism.  

I had some lunch and was home just after 1.00.  

It's now 22.45 and I feel fine so far, been out for a walk with the dog, made the dinner and now I'm social mediating.  I'm assuming the next few days will be interesting.  

Night night folks.

Wx

Community Champion

Hi Karen and welcome.

I hope all goes ok tomorrow xx

Hope it all goes well for you tomorrow Karen x

Hi ladies,

Thought I would jump in this one too as have my first chemo tomorrow 😬

Hi Willie hope all went well with your first one today.

Been quite a wait for me as diagnosed on 2nd May so just want to get things underway and get on the road to kicking this BC into touch 👊
Take care and enjoy this glorious sunshine while we can.

Best wishes

Karen x
Community Champion

Hi Willie

And welcome to the thread.

I hope everything goes alright for you tomorrow. Drink lots of water, and take it very easy for a few days. Here's hoping for a 4/10!!

Best wishes

Sue xx

Oh and big congratulations to you Klairee!!

Highlighted

Hi there everyone,

My name's Willie (I am a girl! Well, a 56 year old girl, ha ha), I live in Derby and I'm starting my chemo tomorrow (Thurs 28 June) but think I'd rather join the July thread as we'll all be new together.  I'm sure I won't be drummed out for breaching the calendar by 3 days!  

My oncologist - or Dr Pollyanna as I call him - told me I had a combined 51mm tumour (removed in 3 operations - 2 x WLE and 1 MX), grade 1 with 1 positive node out of 17 ("good news!!" he cried), ER positive ("more good news!!) and HER-2 negative ("and THAT'S good news!!").   He also told me that, on a scale of 1 to 10, I will not feel any worse than 4/10.   If I'm lucky it will be 3.5/10 and if I'm unlucky it might be 4.5/10.    I said I'll take 4/10.   I didn;t tell him my hangovers are generally 7.5/10 these days, ha ha.

When I told the oncology nurses this though, they side-glanced each other and said "oh ... okaaaaaay".   We'll see.

I had a PICC line fitted yesterday.  I had been super stressed about it, all the while knowing it will make life so much easier for the next six months, but really it was nothing to fret about.    I'm going to be having 8 x FEC-T (4+4).   I dont know why I'm having 8 and not 6, hopefully if I can catch the oncologist tomorrow, I'll ask him.  The nurses tell me I'll see him fleetingly tomorrow. 

I'm trying not to rush out and buy everything I've read about on the earlier monthly threads as not everything will be relevant to us all. 

I've had my long hair cut to a short back and sides a few weeks ago and I'm having it cut even shorter, crew cut, on Friday.   I've got an appointment to buy a wig in the same shop; the stylist has been on the Trevor Sorbie course where they learn to cut wigs to suit your face.   I had planned on getting a long one like my previous hair - it's almost identical to my own hair only much better! - but having had short hair for a few weeks now, I'm thinking of getting a short one.   Bloody typical that we're in the middle of a heatwave which shows no sign of ending, just when I'm thinking of wearing a boiling hat made of plastic hair. 

Anyway, enough about me, I'm looking forward to meeting you all and we can help each other on our road of discovery.   

Willie xxx

Hi Klairee11,

Congratulations and I hope you have a beautiful day! Enjoy every moment. 🌈🤗🎉

ktk

Congrats Klairee. Just what you need, something fab to look forward to! Just nosing from June! One cycle down, second on 11th July. Good luck 😁
Community Champion

Hi Klairee

And welcome to the thread. I'm sure there will be others along shortly .....

Congratulations on your wedding! That is a lovely distraction xx

Hi Sue and everyone, wanted to reach out to say ‘Hi’
I am due to start Chemo on the 10th July for grade 3 BC Her2. Still going through final testing....had bone scan and mri on liver today, wish me luck for these results. Anxious about final results and starting chemo but for the moment I have a pleasant distraction in that after diagnosis me and my partner of 23 years decided to get married....planned a wedding in 3 weeks!! Getting hitched on the 6th July xx
Community Champion

July 2018 Chemo Starters

Hi Ladies

Welcome to the forum.

This thread is for anyone starting chemo in July and would like to chat, share tips etc. Hopefully you can all help and support each other along the way.

I had chemo in 2016, so please ask if you have any questions and I shall do my best!

Best wishes

Sue xx