61278members
323124posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July 2017

Re: July 2017

Don't try to eat with cold cap on. Near impossible to chew with the chin strap!

Thanks mishy. I tried the cold cap for fit yesterday. My husband says I looked like I'd signed up for some extreme sports. 😀

Feel the fear bet your glad today is here I'm sure you will be fine you have a good outlook on things which I think we all need xx hope you cope with cold cap!!! Take care x

I like the way I've written alcoholic rather than alcohol. Haha, maybe I'm trying to send myself subliminal messages. Seriously: I'm not that bad. 😀 Hic.

P.s. Just in case there are any other boozers here. 😀
Chemo nurse says I should avoid alcoholic for 24 hours before then 48 hours after. Then, if I fancy a glass i should have it. Also advised me not to live in a bubble, just to be sensible. Fine to go out for meals and enjoy my usual takeaways. Even fine to enjoy a medium steak. Just not to do anything silly. This is good news to me as we're due to move house into somewhere that requires extensive updating and I won't even have a kitchen for quite a while. X

Thanks for your messages of support ladies. I'm just relieved the day has finally arrived. I haven't had much sleep thanks to the gallons of water I drank yesterday in preparation.
Chemo ward visit went well. Everyone I met was lovely. I'm definitely going to book in for a look good session. Chemo nurse says I can take someone with me, so I'll drag my mam along.
Good luck with the haircut mishy. I've had so many compliments since I had mine cut, I might decide to keep it short. I also had wig appointment yesterday in case cold cap doesn't work. Was advised to go for a synthetic with it being short. Apparently it's only if you go for a longer one that it's worth getting real hair. Still, another £200 to be spent on cancer. 😳

Welcome to the group Zara.
I'll let you all know how I get on today. X

Good luck for tomorrow feel the fear, hope it all goes well for you. x

Hi Zahra I'm starting Monday from Newcastle soz not on Facebook but we can keep up with each other on here! I had surgery 18th May feel like I've been waiting for a lifetime to start I'm doing Fec T

Feel the fear good luck for tomorrow x hope you are feeling OK, I'm taking the hair plunge this Wed my hairdresser is coming to mine we'd eve booked in for 24th look good session at Maggies Centre it's great there every one made me feel so at ease today with lots of advice it's based in grounds of Freeman hospital NCC I strongly advise that you pay it a visit if you can x

Hope everyone is well xx big hugs ladies x stay strong x

Hi everyone,

I ve just sent a join request to the facebook page, hope you got it.

I start chemo on july 14th . I m having 3 cycles of EC and then doxetaxal (probably mis-spelt!) I had surgery on May 31st so am quite glad of the break as I m not fully out of pain from the surgery and not sure I d want to cope with chemo on top of that.

Anyone else having EC? Or already started it? 

Anyone at Christies Manchester?

Zara

Hi mishy. I had my hair cut short as bc nurse said the lighter it is the better chance of keeping it. She also said I could have gel nails. They're mine though, not false. As for the booze, I've decided that if I feel like having the odd glass, I will. So much conflicting advice from oncologists, nurses etc. It's enough to make you dizzy without a drink. I'm off for an Italian meal in an hour. There'll definitely be a cpl of glasses with that. I'll just have to drink an extra litre of water tomorrow to flush it through before chemo Tuesday. I searched alcohol on these forums and it seems a lot of women continue to drink. I'm not going to go mad, but it'll be great if I can still enjoy the odd glass.

Ah right I have pre assessment tomorrow so I will ask chemo nurse first read the nails, I have shoulder length very thick course wavy hair and wasn't sure whether I should get it cut I'm worried about the weight of it making hair loss worse and keeping it tidy, all my family are saying to leave it, I'm sure they think because I am having cold cap I won't lose any!!! I think they are just trying to make me feel better but I would rather be prepared properly x

Mishy I had my shoulder length bob cut to shortish layered style before cold cap.
Not sure if you can have gel nails. They say no false nails. I've painted mine black as apparently this protects nails from UV which can make them drop off x

The last post made no sense thanks to predicted text!! Did you coldcappers cut your hair short before you started, wish I had thought to have eyebrows bladed first before I started, dredding that look hahaha just as well my sons GF is really good at doing brows she says there's some really good eyebrow tbings out atm think I might get my nails gelled before though x

Week my onc doc told me I shouldn't drink alcohol through it!! Haha my breast nurse told me bout the look good thing so I booked it when at my app as maggies where they run it is in freeman hospital grounds, I will re arrange it for another time they are supposed to be really good show u how to do eyebrows liner to enhance eyes etc! Hey welcome too Karen sorry about your recent diagnosis, it's horrible when you first find out, but it does get better once you get treatment plan, there are quite a few Triple Negative in the July thread x I was other way round to you Karen surgery first starting chemo on 10th x I'm TN too x

Really? That sounds promising. I do like a glass of wine. 🤞🍷

Feel the fear
You're allowed to drink a little through chemo x

Thanks for the link Rachael. Good you're feeling better. I'm a little bit jaded myself this morning and I'm old enough to know better. 😀
I think the thought of maybe not drinking for 18 weeks over chemo spurred me on to over do it a bit yesterday.

Rachael I'm day 3 and feeling much the same but my temperature keeps dropping a bit low.

Morning,

I'm booked on to a 'look good, feel better' session on Tuesday as my breast canncer care nurse really recommended it to me. This is the website: www.lookgoodfeelbetter.co.uk 

Day 3 of chemo and feeling better than I thought but very lacking in energy and a bit headachey (perhaps not helped by teenage daughter no. 2 arriving home a bit the worse for wear this morning from a party)!

Hope everyone has a good day.

Rachael x

Hi mishy. I've never heard of a look good feel good day. Sounds nice though. 😀
Hi Karen. Welcome to group. Hopefully you'll get dates for your treatment plan soon. I remember how awful the waiting is. X

Hi just found this thread after reading about it on another thread - hope you don't mind! I'm recently diagnosed triple negative - chemo before op - 8 cycles of fec-t, 4 of each - no official start date just yet but expected to be in the next couple of weeks x hope to find the Facebook group & join x

Oops don't worry I've found it!!!! Join request sent :-)

Thanks for doing that Carole, I've searched but I can't find it, can you copy the link and post it on here? x

Have now set up a closed face book group called Breast cancer care July 2017 chemo starters

Facebook group

Hi everyone,

hope this doesn't create more confusion, but as promised I have started a Facebook group called Breast cancer care July 2017 chemo starters.  It is a closed group, so only those n the group will be able to see your posts. 

Certainly I hope this thread continues, but personally I find it easier to post and reply or add photos to facebook.

please ask if you struggle to join or find the FB group.  I'm not that techie so hope I've set it up right.  The cover photo is of pink roses!

Me too feel the fear I'm hovering too!, think it would be less confusing if I just stay here from now on!!! It is July after all hahaha xxx although I do also like to see how some of the other ladies have been getting on from when I was lurking around when first diagnosed!! Have you been to enrol in a look good feel good yet? I have but need to cancel as it's same day of first chemo when I was booked on I thought I would be ready for round two!!!!

I'm not as scared of the cold cap since you filled us in thanks Carole! Doggy mum sorry you have had a recurrence x we can all support each other through the treatment I start on the 10th feel like I've been waiting ages so can't wait to crack on and get it done hopefully the weather will stay like this for a few more days x hope you feeling well today Carole x

Doogymum it's rubbish that you've had a recurrence. However, you've fought this before and you'll do it again. I imagine twenty years ago you would feel a lot more isolated without things like this forum. Cancer can be a very lonely thing as we can tend to keep a lot of our feelings/ fears from our families. At least here, we can say whatever we like without the fear of upsetting people.
Thanks for the update Carole. Great that you took us through the cold capping process. I hope I cope as well as you.
To everyone; I'm getting a bit confused about where our group is. I'm currently hovering around three separate threads. 🤔😀

Doggymum, sorry to hear yours has recurred.😟

Hi Rachael

Glad your first cycle was ok.  Mine was too and like you I just feel a bit fuzzy headed today.  Didn't sleep at all last night, possibly because steroids taken at 3pm.  I was very tired by 8pm but still couldn't sleep, but not unusual for me.

For the benefit of anyone not started yet, I'll give you a summary of my first of 6 FEC-T. Started off with choosing cold cap and then nurse sprayed a bit of water on my hair followed some  lovely conditioner.  Actually the same salon one I use at home, donated by someone to hospital. Then on with the cold cap as it needs to cool down for half hour before drugs start. Whilst waiting for this I had a saline drip connected to my PICC and was given steroid tablets and anti sickness. Nurse changed my PICC dressing which had been fitted 24 hours earlier and was getting very sore. At this point we discovered I'm allergic to the dressing and skin had gone red with a blister, burst by dressing removal.  Painful having it cleaned but arm is much more comfortable with a sensitive dressing (looks like cling film).

Cold cap now ready and I'm coping with the cold easily.  Worst part was the chin strap being tight and restrictive.  Don't plan on eating your lunch wearing cold cap. It didn't have any bad effects on me, not even a headache and I sat in my tee shirt throughout. 

The nurse sat with me and chatted whilst pushing  the three drugs through.  I didn't feel anything. 

All done after an hour or so and then I had to wait a further 90 minutes of scalp cooling.

Cold cap does make it a much longer and more uncomfortable process, but not painful and no bad effects for me.  If it works I'll keep on with it. If it doesn't I've got a wig and lots of headgear ready.

Good luck to everyone who has not started yet and don't worry it's not to bad. 

Hi Carole and all you other lovely ladies!! I was diagnosed with recurrence of breast cancer I had nearly 20 years ago when I was 31. I had a mastectomy at the time so this lump was in my lymph nodes. Very worried and upset at it coming back but fought it once, can do it again. I have had an auxiliary clearance now waiting to start chemo next Friday. A Facebook group would be fab, I had no one to talk things over with first time around. Look forward to talking with you all xx

I would definitely join Clare, start my FEC on the 7th xx

Hi Rachael. Glad to hear your first session went well. I'm also going to try the cold cap at my first fec on Tuesday. Your count down to the end of all of this is now on. 😀

Dear Carole,

i hope your first chemo session went well yesterday. It was my first one  yesterday too and I had felt very apprehensive but it wasn't as bad as i had anticipated. Only 7 more cycles to go! I am feeling slightly fuzzy headed but ok at the moment- how about you?

I did try the cold cap (despite the fact that I am a migrane sufferer) - it was bearable but I'm undecided whether to continue with it or not. I have already ordered a gorgeous wig  from a lovely lady based in London who i can definitely recommend. 

I'm trying to keep everthing as normal as possible for my 4 children but it isn't always easy is it?

best wishes to everyone,

Rachael x

All the best for today Carole, no rush for the fb group just whenever you feel you can, we can all chat here ❤ xx

I'll be thinking about you this afternoon Carole. I'm sure everything will go well. X

I'll try and do Facebook group but may not have time today with chemo this afternoon x

Thanks Perrie. I had my PICC yesterday, quite a long and technical procedure and took about an hour but nothing to worry about. All very clever and takes longer because they keep everything sterile.
Little bit sore today but glad I've got it now and don't have to worry about them poking about with my veins.

Mishy you only need a PICC if you're veins are not very good for cannulating. It always takes them several attempts for my little veins and then sometimes it leaks out when they put fluid through. Chemo does make your veins more temperamental too. PICC gives a line in for chemo or other fluids and can also take bloods. Saves numerous needles but not necessary if you have nice big strong veins.

Sorry not on Facebook so will have to catch up here too! Bit of a dinasour with social media!!

Daft question does everyone have a picc line for Fec T starting on 10th have my pre assessment on 3rd nobody has mentioned a picc line! Or is it just in certain circumstances?

Morning ladies. I'm not on Facebook so will just catch up with yous here. X

I start FEC chemo next Thursday 6th July and having PICC line in on the day before. Feeling quite apprehensive!

Good luck for your first one today Carol and yes I would love to join a Facebook group if you set one up, great idea!

Hugs to all

Debbie x

Oh that's lovely Myshy. Something wonderful to look forward to x

Brilliant Mishy18 😊 xx

Yes Carole, I would like that 😊 xx

Well I start on 10th July! On a total high today say my gorgeous little Grandaughter on scan today while at daughters antenatal it was amazing she's nearly 26 weeks and they were checking growth as part of a check for gestation diabetes, perfect little girl lovely size average for this stage beautiful little face I swear she new we were watching as she faced us on the screen can't wait for October now as it means the BC journey nearly over and a lovely little girl to spoil xxx

Is anyone interested in joining a Facebook closed group for July chemo starters.  If so I will try and start one, unless someone else wants to do it.

Ah that's good, I won't be driving to the hospital I'll get transport for that, I live in a very small village where I need to drive to get to the nearest shop, I'm just worried I'll be to tired to drive! What drugs are you getting clare2121? Xx

Clare2121 I may have missed it somewhere, but what is not feasible for you? What drugs are you on?