Re: January chemo starters ?

Thanks Dealdoh...so you’re clearly on breast cancer round 2! Blimey!! Hats off to you all brave ladies. Fec you’re in my thoughts xxx

I love that you ladies can make me laugh on here.  So glad I wasn’t standing in that queue Rosie. 

I asked about your surgery as I had a double mastectomy in November and because there was evidence of spread into left axillary nodes I had total axillary clearance on that side.  I had already had total right axillary clearance following a WLE on the 16 years ago.  I know lymphoedema is always a concern but you just have to adjust and be careful.  Ive managed perfectly well for the last sixteen years.  It is now slightly more problematical as the potential is for lymphoedema in both arms, so unless it is an emergency, blood will need to be taken from somewhere else (usually feet) and blood pressure on the leg.  I have already bought a couple of lymphoedema medic alert bands, just in case for any reason I can’t warn people off!

Reading all these posts is filing me with confidence , I’m also going to keep a diary , I live in my own , but my daughters are near if I need them , I was totally dreading starting treatment but these posts are lifting my spirits ladies , and all the tips I’m writing down too xxxx thankyou x

Hello, I’m a December chemo but just reading the posts on here. FEC...love the name!! 😂 You’re really struggling ☹️ Please, please call your unit, if you’ve a picc they can give you something IV or even an injection to help with your nausea. Your oncologist will definitely adjust your meds as you’ve been so ill. I had chemo last year too & the first cycle they sent me to a&e as I was vomiting so much. The second cycle they added akynseo which you take an hour before chemo & I didn’t vomit again! Still felt nauseous & had to take anti sickness tablets but that tablet is great! As the other ladies have said, you will start to feel better soon but please don’t suffer xx

Hi Dealdoh...yes that’s what they’ve said which is a bit of a bummer but not the end of the world!!

im guessing having it post Chemo means at least I can’t get cellulitis when my immune system bows out.

Well done Tracey on the trip out...I’m with you dealdoh on the feeling a bit fraudy especially reading Fec’s reattion. I’m wondering if it’s because I’ve started with the T and not the FEC. 

Fec you’ve got a baby too bless you, bloody disease doesn’t discriminate does it...hopefully by Monday you may have settled a bit. 

I just popped out to do a few bits but unfortunately my tummy is a bit rumbley shall we say which is resulting in a certain aroma...I may not feel too bad but I’m not entirely sure the same could be said for anyone in the M&S queue behind me!!! Xx

FEC in hell you are really suffering bless you. Sounds absolutely awful. Have you called to see if they can give you any alternative anti sickness meds? Was that the first docetaxel for you?
RosieH - yes I managed to get to the park for an hour with my sister and her children. Was lovely for my little one. Yes it’s hard work with youngsters but it also gives you something to focus on. I’m staying with my parents at the moment as my hubby works abroad and isn’t due home until next Thursday. They are absolutely fab but it breaks my heart 💔 that they are watching me go thorough this. I’m also 45 and so used to being active and independent so this has really clipped my wings.
Aliand - yes I want to try and get out walking as much as I can just to keep me active and give me a focus. Fingers crossed I can continue to do so.
Love to you all ladies xx 💪💖

Hi Ladies

Im day 2 and so far so good.  Slept well last night and while I woke with a headache it was only mild.  Trying to drink loads and taking my medication like a good girl.  Feeling a bit of a fraud at the moment, as I seem to have got off very lightly but waiting for the s@#*t to happen. 

hugs for those who are not faring so well and Aliand thanks for the positive words as usual.  

Rosie when you talk about radical do you mean mastectomy and total axillary clearance.

FEC as a friend told me, dont worry in a few days you will feel so much better, I hung onto that and believe me it was true. I'm keeping a diary of how I feel everyday, they suggested I did and I think it will be god to look back on.

I'm on different treatment to you but on day 4 I was suffering from headaches, murky brain, lethergy, and horrible constipation. Day 5 it was lifting and by day 6 I was almost back to normal. Took to about day 7 for tastes to be more normal though water is only just tasting better as of yesterday. I'm now day 11 and I'm totally back to myself, housework and taxi driver. The only thing I'm not doing is mixing with others. DH is so worried about me picking anything up as theres so much flu around and some of it isnt covered by the flu vaccine and also pneumonias that are landing healthy people in ITU. So amazon and ASOS are my best friends and I send my teenage kids or friends out to get what I need.

The other advise my friend gave me is when people offer to help use them. People want to help and feel good that they have done something for you. If you keep saying no some will stop asking. If youve people offering to do school run take it up. If people will take your daughter to play after school say yes please. Don't think you have to do this on your own you don't. And this is coming from the woman who used to bend over backward trying to do things for other people but NEVER asking for anything from anyone unless I was absolutely desperate. I'm learning.

Tracy12059 hope you got to the park, my daily walk is a lifesaver getting out and about.

There is light at the end of the tunnel with each cycle. I much less worried about my second dose. In fact I'd have it this week if I could. Get them over and done with, it's going to be a long 24 weeks !

Keep in touch girls and keep smiling xx

[ Edited ]

Hi RosieH,

thank god for my husband who is doing everything for my daughter who is 5.

real test starts for me on Monday when he goes back to work!

Let me me know how you are tomorrow x

Crikey Fec...bless you. Only day two over here. 

Tracey I feel for you Mummies so much. Mine are grown although I’m only 46 and it’s hard to watch their pain. 

To be looking after babies must be so so...I don’t know the word but my thoughts are with you xxx

Day 2: steroid red face

Day 3: Vomitting, stomach cramps, nauseous

Day 4: Nauseous, exhausted, pain in bones from injections...so bad!

Diet of biscuit, greek yoghurt with Manuka, soup and plain bread.

anyone else on day 4?

RosieH that’s fab news!
I feel exactly the same. The bright red face and neck are apparently a side effect of the steroids - I called the oncology unit yesterday to double check. I feel almost flu like today - my hips and lower legs ache! I’ve got a slightly fuzzy head too but once I get some fluids inside me that seems to lift they feeling . I also woke up in the night with a horrific taste in my mouth and a sore tongue 😛. I think I’m a day ahead of you so will keep you up to date. Hope you have a good day - I’m going to try and take my little boy to the park for an hour - fingers crossed!!! Hugs 💖

Hi ladies

First T down and feeling ok. Not like I want to go dancing ok but not horrific. Strange taste in my mouth and very red cheeks!! Found out yesterday all organs and bones are clear but my Sentinal nodes were positive for cancer. Apparently no change in treatment but when I have surgery it will be a radical!

However back to Chemo and one day at a time it felt awesome to get started on the treatment...hope all you other ladies are doing ok? Xxx

What’s everyone’s hickmans like? I must if turned on to side in night and I’ve dressing had moved and the stitches on the exit side were exposed , so I’ve just wanged another dressing over it ,no bleeding but was worried about the air getting to them , it looks ok so may ring Monday morning and tell them as I’m not due back till Friday for a flush

Ahh Jamesy that made laugh - you sound like a woman after my own heart.  The nurse said it depends on the type of chemo and maybe the way it is administered by I got the impression I was good to go if I wanted to after the three days. Aaparently alcohol doesn’t react well with the antisickness stuff. 

Aliand, the nurse said the injections affect the white cell producing bits of the body and mentioned the long bones and hips.  I still miss the nursing but I wouldn’t go bac as it is now.  I think having been a nurse has helped prepare me a bit for this.  Would you say the same.?

off to bed now to try and catch up on some zzzzs.  Night all - hope it is a good one x

Highlighted

Is everyone on 6 cycles over 18 weeks. I’m being given 8 cycles over 34 weeks. I’ve 1 lymph node involved and there’s evidence of spread within the one breast so I’m assuming that’s why. Must ask.
Dealdoh I was a nurse once upon a time too.
I thought the injections were giving me headaches but the last 3 I didn’t get a headache so ?

I can cope with that I thought you meant the whole 18 weeks , swoon

Thanks Aliand, the cake was good, left over from my birthday on Wednesday and I’m keeping my fingers crossed.  I’m not particularly worried about giving the injections (was a nurse in a previous life) just the possible aches and pains.

Sorry Jamesy.  One of the chemo nurses told me no alcohol for 48hours post chemo and another nurse said no alcohol while taking the anti sickness medication (so three days I guess).

Oh no ! Can i not have a glass of wine !!!!

Hi FEC
If the drugs they have given you aren’t working then yes definitely request it and the domperidone which reminds me of champagne!!! So far they have worked for me although I know it’s still early days! I’ve felt a bit under the weather today with a fuzzy head, extreme tiredness and feeling like I’m jet lagged. I also woke up with a bright red face which apparently is a side effect of the steroids! I looked like I’d been on holiday and forgot my sun cream!
Hope your feeling better this evening xxx