Re: January chemo starters ?

RosieH that’s fab news!
I feel exactly the same. The bright red face and neck are apparently a side effect of the steroids - I called the oncology unit yesterday to double check. I feel almost flu like today - my hips and lower legs ache! I’ve got a slightly fuzzy head too but once I get some fluids inside me that seems to lift they feeling . I also woke up in the night with a horrific taste in my mouth and a sore tongue 😛. I think I’m a day ahead of you so will keep you up to date. Hope you have a good day - I’m going to try and take my little boy to the park for an hour - fingers crossed!!! Hugs 💖

Hi ladies

First T down and feeling ok. Not like I want to go dancing ok but not horrific. Strange taste in my mouth and very red cheeks!! Found out yesterday all organs and bones are clear but my Sentinal nodes were positive for cancer. Apparently no change in treatment but when I have surgery it will be a radical!

However back to Chemo and one day at a time it felt awesome to get started on the treatment...hope all you other ladies are doing ok? Xxx

What’s everyone’s hickmans like? I must if turned on to side in night and I’ve dressing had moved and the stitches on the exit side were exposed , so I’ve just wanged another dressing over it ,no bleeding but was worried about the air getting to them , it looks ok so may ring Monday morning and tell them as I’m not due back till Friday for a flush

Ahh Jamesy that made laugh - you sound like a woman after my own heart.  The nurse said it depends on the type of chemo and maybe the way it is administered by I got the impression I was good to go if I wanted to after the three days. Aaparently alcohol doesn’t react well with the antisickness stuff. 

Aliand, the nurse said the injections affect the white cell producing bits of the body and mentioned the long bones and hips.  I still miss the nursing but I wouldn’t go bac as it is now.  I think having been a nurse has helped prepare me a bit for this.  Would you say the same.?

off to bed now to try and catch up on some zzzzs.  Night all - hope it is a good one x

Highlighted

Is everyone on 6 cycles over 18 weeks. I’m being given 8 cycles over 34 weeks. I’ve 1 lymph node involved and there’s evidence of spread within the one breast so I’m assuming that’s why. Must ask.
Dealdoh I was a nurse once upon a time too.
I thought the injections were giving me headaches but the last 3 I didn’t get a headache so ?

I can cope with that I thought you meant the whole 18 weeks , swoon

Thanks Aliand, the cake was good, left over from my birthday on Wednesday and I’m keeping my fingers crossed.  I’m not particularly worried about giving the injections (was a nurse in a previous life) just the possible aches and pains.

Sorry Jamesy.  One of the chemo nurses told me no alcohol for 48hours post chemo and another nurse said no alcohol while taking the anti sickness medication (so three days I guess).

Oh no ! Can i not have a glass of wine !!!!

Hi FEC
If the drugs they have given you aren’t working then yes definitely request it and the domperidone which reminds me of champagne!!! So far they have worked for me although I know it’s still early days! I’ve felt a bit under the weather today with a fuzzy head, extreme tiredness and feeling like I’m jet lagged. I also woke up with a bright red face which apparently is a side effect of the steroids! I looked like I’d been on holiday and forgot my sun cream!
Hope your feeling better this evening xxx

Kirstyp86 how are you feeling? x

Well done Deldoah the battle has commenced. Glad it all went well let’s hope you sail through the next week. If not don’t worry it won’t last x
I had filgrastim injections and they were very easy to give.

You’ve not spoiled it with chocolate cake / that’s a well deserved treat x

Well first one down - yayyy. All went well and feeling ok at the moment.  I have the same medication as you Fec, hope it works.  My hubby made me an omelette when we got in from the hospital,and then I spoiled it by having some chocolate cake.  I hope that wasnt a mistake!,trying to drink plenty but oh my I would love a glass of wine but I do know that that is a no no.

Was also given the GCSF injections, which I have to self administer for five days starting on day five. Yuk

Glad and to hear that your tooth is feeling better Aliand

onwards and upwards ladies x

[ Edited ]

Hi there, i hope you and your mum are doing ok? What is the Alice  band for with the cold cap?

@Confuseddaughter wrote:
Hi everyone...

I've been bit quiet on here for a while but mum starts the second part of her journey this week so thought via me, she could be part of this. Lumpsectory done back in November, lovely Christmas now time to start!

Tomorrow she has her first dose of herceptin so it's a good few hours at the hospital tomorrow we are told for observation, then Thursday starts chemo, as she is her2+.

Bit surreal that this day we knew was coming is here... mum is having paclitaxel weekly for 12 weeks and herceptin every three weeks.

We have been following everyones great tips and support, mum has been taking the manuka honey since diagnosis. We got it from holland and barrett, the 24+ one, highest concentration, it's a bit pricey at £55 but they have a penny sale on so you get two large pots for £55 which helps and she has a spoon a day! My sister dad and I have all had a cold the last month and mums the only one who hasn't! Think we need to start taking it!

Lots of deliveries in the post this week, paxman shampoo and conditioner, hair nets for sleeping in, silk pillowcases which are meant to be better for the scalp, eyebrow stamps (!), wide comb,

@Confuseddaughter wrote:
Hi everyone...

I've been bit quiet on here for a while but mum starts the second part of her journey this week so thought via me, she could be part of this. Lumpsectory done back in November, lovely Christmas now time to start!

Tomorrow she has her first dose of herceptin so it's a good few hours at the hospital tomorrow we are told for observation, then Thursday starts chemo, as she is her2+.

Bit surreal that this day we knew was coming is here... mum is having paclitaxel weekly for 12 weeks and herceptin every three weeks.

We have been following everyones great tips and support, mum has been taking the manuka honey since diagnosis. We got it from holland and barrett, the 24+ one, highest concentration, it's a bit pricey at £55 but they have a penny sale on so you get two large pots for £55 which helps and she has a spoon a day! My sister dad and I have all had a cold the last month and mums the only one who hasn't! Think we need to start taking it!

Lots of deliveries in the post this week, paxman shampoo and conditioner, hair nets for sleeping in, silk pillowcases which are meant to be better for the scalp, eyebrow stamps (!), wide comb,Alice bands for the cold cap and have been told that whatever you do reg the cold cap, just make sure it fits right!

I know I'm not going through this myself but have been there every step with my mum and am always reading everything posted on here, it helps. Was thinking this morning, of all the emotions felt the last few months more so at the time of diagnosis, feel like they are resurfacing a bit and try to not get upset but we are ready for this now. Also will show mum the responses and comments from everyone so she knows she's not the only one! (She's not too technological!)

Thinking of you all and here's to the next few months. Reassuring knowing you are all out there going through similar experience and I think when mum goes to the ward Thursday she will see that herself.

Take care everyone and if starting, sending you hugs and support

Xxxxxx

I know I'm not going through this myself but have been there every step with my mum and am always reading everything posted on here, it helps. Was thinking this morning, of all the emotions felt the last few months more so at the time of diagnosis, feel like they are resurfacing a bit and try to not get upset but we are ready for this now. Also will show mum the responses and comments from everyone so she knows she's not the only one! (She's not too technological!)

Thinking of you all and here's to the next few months. Reassuring knowing you are all out there going through similar experience and I think when mum goes to the ward Thursday she will see that herself.

Xxxxxx

@Confuseddaughter wrote:
Hi everyone...

Lots of deliveries in the post this week, paxman shampoo and conditioner, hair nets for sleeping in, silk pillowcases which are meant to be better for the scalp, eyebrow stamps (!), wide comb,Alice bands for the cold cap and have been told that whatever you do reg the cold cap, just make sure it fits right!

Xxxxxx

Xx

My meds for sickness are, Ondansetron x 3 per day, metoclopramide x3 per day and dexamethasone before the day, on the day and after. It’s calmed a bit but still feel yuk. Should I request Emend? 

Had my Hickman line in yesterday. Bit sore today but not too bad. All set for chemo on Monday. Just want to get on with it now.
Got some hats and scarves through but gonna cold cap too and see how it goes.

Glad your all doing ok ! Fec I hope your sickness calms down ,
After my breakdown yesterday I went to chemo unit to get line flushed , first time and I was a bit anxious but the staff were lovely and answered loads of questions for me so put my mind at rest x
Hickman was bleeding last night but I rang and they said it was normal , loads better today
Got my appt for next week to get Wendy wig !

Hi FEC

What anti sickness meds have they given you? I have had some that I had to take a day before the chemo started, the day of the chemo and this morning as well as Emend orally before the chemo started then Introveneosuly and sent home with one for today and one for tomorrow then been sent home with domperidone for 5 days or as long as I feel I need them. So far so good on the sickness front although I have had a few tummy cramps. I’m trying to eat light small meals but also drinking loads of water (2 litres of I can) tonflush it through. Hope you soon feel better - nothing worse xxx 😢

So sorry you are all feeling so sick it's just the pits isnt it, but it won't last I promise. My nausea lasted several days but I only vomited a day. The awful taste in my mouth coupled with the nausea gave me no appetite at all but I made myself eat small amounts. I think nutrition is really important to repair all the damage done by the chemo so I'd suggest you try to eat small amounts of healthy food, maybe soup for example. I found muller yoghurts a lifesaver as they tasted ok and the coolness and smoothness was really great. Also keep an eye on your bowels I got really constipated with the anti sickness meds - another reason to eat and drink.

My tooth is sooooooo much better today, though I'm taking regular brufen as well as the antibiotics and my temp was 37.3 this morning so I hope I'm not brewing something. Cant believe I'm not more tired actually.

I've been online looking at scarves, thinking the hair will probably go next week and I've a couple of things but want to be prepared. Not heard anything from the wig guy yet.

Time for my daily constitutional sending you all hugs xxx

I had a conversation with the doctor who gave me some other anti sickness meds. Seems to have calmed down 65% but still have tummy cramps, can anyone recommend what or if I should eat IF I get hungry. Thanks. I’m in such a state. How is everyone else today x

Hi Tracy.  Finally managed to drift off at just gone five. Glad to hear your night wasn’t too bad and hope your day is the same.   I’m thinking it must be that much more difficult when you are trying to deal with this AND you have a young family.  At least it is just my hubby and I at home, our daughter is married and lives with her hubby and 9 month old about an hour away and our son emigrated to Canada in October of last year (😢).

i will let you know how it goes.

Fec - are the anti sickness pills helping?