cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

January 2019 chemo starters

Re: January 2019 chemo starters

Hi Val,

I felt exactly the same around 5/6 on EC2 and I was so teary and anxious. The nurse said that it was more than likely to do with coming off the steroids but I also started to lose my hair properly and even although I had a pixie hair cut it still affected me mentally as it was the first time I saw myself bald. I looked in the mirror and got a fright. A couple of days later I started to feel more human again and I am so used to my bald head now. I guess that was just another hurdle to get over. 

I wore my my wig for the first time today and felt very comfortable with it on when I was out and about so that’s another tick in the box. I am a hat lady so I don’t anticipate wearing my wig that often. 

EC3 is on Friday so here we go again!!!! After this one I will be half way there. 

I hope everyone is doing as well as can be expected. 

Sending lots of love xxxx

Highlighted

My scalp was sore for a few days before I lost some hair but it seems to have calmed down now , I’m cold capping so fingers crossed i will have some hair left after this . Fingers crossed for your hair too x 

Hi Val, I felt the same on day 6 after 1st EC - really low & anxious.  The following day my mood instantly lifted.  I wonder if it was due to the steroids stopping & if it'll happen again on EC 2. 

My scalp/ hair is starting to hurt tonight (day 13) - is this the beginning of hair loss?

xxx

LB

Hi Val I felt exactly the same around day 6/7 I really upset my husband when I said I couldn’t go through it anymore - the next day I felt a lot better and now a week on I feel so much better again 🤗 we can do this 🤗🤗 

I can’t seem to start a new conversation on this site and have to go into reply ? Anyway , I felt rubbish today , mentally 😬 6 day after 2nd ec , felt like this last time 🙁 thinking , can I do this ? What’s the point and stupidily googling about triple neg ( which I have ) and only taking in bad stuff , my lump is shrinking and onc quite happy so i need to pull myself together x 

Thanks for sharing LB, it’s a great read xxx

Hey Perko

There's a few of us cold capping on EC, keep the faith Smiley Happy I am now day 12 after EC no. 2 and started shedding last week and it's been pretty bad and of course I'm thinking if I lose this much after rounds 3 and 4 of EC there'll be hardly anything left (!) BUT I will keep going because it does seem to protect hair follicles and result in faster regrowth from everything I've read online in facebook groups, on breastcancer.org and generally. The only thing I can say is make sure your cap is touching your head at your scalp. If necessary tie a pair of tights around it , or even more than one pair, it needs to be tight and touching all of your scalp. 

I know it's upsetting and if I could have one wish come true it would be that no one going through chemo for cancer has to suffer the hairloss too, it's like a final punch on top of all the other crap we get but we will all get through. Hang in there xx 

Sorry , this is a reply to Lorraine 1  😄

I’m not sure what I’m having after ec , I couldn’t take it all in at the time 😬

Holland and Barrat had the almond Carrier oil and 100% rosemary essential at half price a couple of weeks ago. Might be worth checking if it’s still there xx

I strongly believe that Vit D, complex B and as Lorraine.1 suggested a Biotin supplement too. All of the above are good for nails and hair.

Hi team January, first venture onto these boards for me...(couldn’t even figure out where/how to post!!)

I’m cold capping on EC but still losing so so much hair. It just seems to be constant the past 10 days or so, every time I take my beanie off new clumps of precious hair shed. I was expecting a big-ish shed after each cycle but anyone else getting this continuous hair loss? It’s like Christmas tree needles the day after Boxing Day...

If I can, I’ll keep going with the cold cap - has anyone had experience using it with big bald patches on top? Any tips most welcome!

thanks everyone x

LB

Loraine. 1

Thankyou for the oil tip I will get some in the next couple of days. X

Val, are you on 4xEc then 4Xpaclitxel like me? I've heard/read any lost hair starts growing back on pac and, like you, I have decided to cold cap to the bitter end and just hoping what hair I have hangs in there till pac! 

Sunnydaze - I'm so happy the rosemary oil has helped you/your scalp! X

Stuckat14 soooo nice to read you had an easier ride with the second round. Fingers crossed you stay uninfected in week 2!

Gocat you sound like me, I have 'coverage' (ie know one would know but me) but I spent this week really stressing about what will happen after EC 3 and I only stopped stressing when the shedding decreased to a few strands lately. I

LB - so happy to read your scalp is better - also almond oil is very soothing as a carrier oil  mixed with rosemary for growth. I 100% empathise with your second to last sentence, it is unreal and I can't even explain how I feel some days to people, between the side effects and hair anxiety I don't recognise myself. 

Big hug to you all xx

Hi All

i had  #FEC3 on Friday. So far, so good.....I was floored after FEC2 , so I’m pleased it’s better this time around. Half of the way through now. 3T’s to go....

i have been rubbing almond oil and rosemary oil into my shaven scalp and I’ve still got a lovely fuzz of hair. Thanks for the tip, I think the rosemary oil definitely helps. Good luck all you ladies out there. We struggle on, wading through the treacle xx

My doc said the bit after ec was the worst bit for hair loss 🙁 I think it depends on person , I’m cold capping all the way through no matter what tho 😄

LB

Hi all I hope that those of you just getting over their last sessions are doing ok. I’m day 12 after FEC 2 and definitely feeling better again but I was wretched for a few days ☹️ I went to my friends yesterday and mentioned that the remaining stubble was very painful- I thought it would have all gone by now but there was about 20% left and every time my hat or wig or fingers caught it - ouch. It was like sticking hundreds of pins into my scalp. My goddaughter looked it up - apparently when the hairs are attached to the follicles they are padded by the follicles but when the follicles have died off and there are still hairs they stick in. So we got out the shaving cream and towels and a good time shaving off what remained 👍 we made a bit of fun out of it - after all how often are you going to do this for/with a friend 😊 The outstanding result was a much happier head 😀 the wig felt much better and when I went to bed in my going to bed hat I was so much more comfortable 😊 Reading this I still can’t get my head around the fact that I’m in this place but you have to make the best of everything if you can. Hugs to all

LB 🤗

Gokat and Lorraine thanks for posting. I've just had my second ec and have found it sooo much easier so far- don't get me wrong I'm not going anywhere and I still feel sick and very tired, worse after being awake since 2am today. But emend and ondansetron seem to have made a big difference, I also took a cyclone in the evening so now I'm crossing my fingers that the lactulose works- im not eating a lot at all. I've been telling myself in a third of the way through but the next two weeks are still going to be full of worry over infections etc- my 5 year old is in bed next to me coughing his guts up! 

Anyway- hugs to everyone,  is it too early to start talking about plans for the summer?

Xx

@gocat wrote:

Hi had my 3 rd chemo of FEC last Thursday.  Worse part was the cold capping.  Think it was too tight on the forehead bit.  Was really glad when it was taken off.  Still got good coverage of hair but still lost a fair amount too.  Was thinking of not doing it for the T bit but I asked a nurse if you still get hair loss with T and she said yes.  I thought I read somewhere you dont.  

Anyway, not so much nausea this time round.  1st one was really bad.  2nd cycle not so bad and this time ok so far.  So fingers crossed I dont get it now.  

Hugsss to all Smiley Happy  

Hi had my 3 rd chemo of FEC last Thursday.  Worse part was the cold capping.  Think it was too tight on the forehead bit.  Was really glad when it was taken off.  Still got good coverage of hair but still lost a fair amount too.  Was thinking of not doing it for the T bit but I asked a nurse if you still get hair loss with T and she said yes.  I thought I read somewhere you dont.  

Anyway, not so much nausea this time round.  1st one was really bad.  2nd cycle not so bad and this time ok so far.  So fingers crossed I dont get it now.  

Hugsss to all Smiley Happy  

Hi all

I have been suffering with a very sore arm since EC no. 2 (my chemo arm). I am due to have my picc line fitted next Thurs 14th and am hoping it calms down before then. I'm on ibuprofen and using warm compress. I have pain/tenderness on inner elblow and just above it where the picc line will be fitted. Anyone got any tips of anything else I can try? 

Think I lost about 30% of my hair since EC number 2 - like falling out every day for last 10 days but still have full coverage (all be it thinner) and decided to keep going as only 2 more ECs to go then it's paclitaxel. Not sure if anyone else here is cold capping and how you're getting on?

Hope everyone doing ok and less nausea xx

Kip

How apt!! Thanks for posting... Xx