LB

Re: January 2019 chemo starters

B74 thankyou 😊
B74

Yes I totally felt like a dead battery! (see my post on 10 Jan for example). Feeling basically normal again now... there is definitely hope!!
LB

G thankyou you have given me hope x
G

Hi LB, yes, dreadful however at the end of day 7 and all of day 8 (today!) I am suddenly back. I still feel different etc however it is amazing how quickly I feel so much better...hopefully you experience this too🤞
x
LB

Hi I'm on day 5 after first chemo - did anyone else feel like a dead battery - no go in me at all :-( 

Highlighted
Kip

Hi all, steroid blues is a definite...  I always had a ciup!e of really teary emotional days once they had finished.... Famiky got to know when to tread carefully.... On the T part the steroid regime is different and i dont think i got so weepy.   It helps to know its a nirmal thing

G

Thank you for this B74, I will most definitely have a read! x
B74

G after such a rough week would you consider trying fasting?

I had nothing but water (& a little bit of broth for minerals) for 48 hours before the 1st infusion. I was disappointed that it wasn’t a ‘magic bullet’ and I still felt wretched - but I feel like on the whole I’ve got off pretty lightly. The acute horribleness only really lasted a day or two then I started to improve. I only took anti-nausea meds for the first 48 hours. I’ve continued to have slight queasiness, but just eat small amounts regularly and am ok. No mouth sores, diarrhoea etc and have been going for an hour walk every day.

I read everything I could lay my hands on about fasting (Longo research papers etc) but was actually more swayed by anecdotal stuff incl. this article in the Guardian (I ignored the hair replacement advice!!): https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jun/03/how-to-get-through-chemotherapy-decca-aitkenhead-can...

And this excerpt from the ‘Science of Fasting’ video: https://youtu.be/MnUq_H7zjXQ

Anyway... just something to think about. There’s no doubt that the fasting itself is challenging & not very pleasant, but I’m still going to continue, partly because I’m now terrified to experience side effects without it!!
LB

G and B74 thankyou for mentioning the dexamethdrone - now I know why I feel like I do. G it’s good to know you’re feeling better - I hope to pick up in a couple of days too.
G

Hi all, in the last two hours I have started to turn a corner and feel less nauseas, really weird how quickly I suddenly feel so much brighter! It is exactly a week since my first EC where I started feeling dreadful straight away but if this is the corner turned then this seems doable next time as I was starting to have my doubts! Hopefully now it will just keep improving until the next round🤞

B74, yes I think you are right, I was worse emotionally after finishing the dexamethasone - well noted, thank you! I guess I/you can plan this in for next time and might be more equipped to manage it or at least those around us might.

Hope everyone’s weekend is okay and massive hugs all round from moi! x

Sunnydaze and stuck at 14, I'm a teacher too! Smiley Happy What ages do you teach? I job-share a Year 2 Class. I went back in September after having 11mths off! Returning was a bit of a shock and I was worn out by playtime the first week! My stamina is gradually increasing now, but I've cut down the hours I work xx 

Helen, I hope chemo was ok today xx

Hi LB, glad first chemo session went ok xx

Re: Newly diagnosed starting chemo 8 January

Hi LB, I've been thinking about you, hope Tuesday wasn't too scary for you? Hopefully it went well and your haven't been too unwell xx
LB

Hi I’m a couple of days after my first chemo session. It really wasn’t too bad and the nurses were lovely and so caring and answered all my questions. I came home with an enormous bag of drugs - the difflam mouthwas is brilliant for the craggy mouth. I had a friend who has had experience at self injection for dvt and she supervised my first jab. Her tip and it works is to pinch the roll of fat so that it hurts and then you don’t feel the needle. Good luck to all.

That's good advice 're unions. I'm just home from being told I have to wait a week to start because I have the tiniest bit of my wound still to heal. Feel blue :-(

Yes, I’m a teacher too stuck at 14 and like you I was diagnosed in August. I couldn’t handle returning to work with all of the emotional rollercoaster going on. Thankfully, like you had accrued good sickness benefits and I am currently taking 6months full and 6 months half pay. These are terms and conditions that have been hard fought for and I would hate to lose these benefits. The pay isn’t great, but the benefits at time of need are there. I feel really sorry for any of you ladies that aren’t covered by any sickness benefit and have no choice but to work. Financial worries are horrible, especially with the added worry of cancer. I want to give a shout out here to The Unions and one of the good things they do is if you are struggling financially and down to half pay or no pay and belong to a Union, your Union will have a Benevolence Fund. I know my Union does. You can apply to this fund for some financial assistance. My Union rep advised me that this is what the Benevolence Fund is for, for ladies like us. I hope I can help some of you, by dropping this information here. Get on to your Union...
Sunny daze xx

Hey Mama JuJu,
I’m in Scotland too. I was allowed to get any wig I fancied. I thought the free ones would be like rugs 🤣 but they’re not. I had a very big choice from a lot of different brands. Good luck. It’s quite a thing trying on wigs. My hairdresser took a couple home and I showed my husband and kids. I said to them in preparation “now don’t laugh because I’ll just cry” anyway I tried one on and we all laughed, a lot , especially me!!!! It actually felt really good to laugh because laughter has been so thin on the ground of late. Anyway, I took the wigs back to the hairdresser and went to a different wig shop with loads of choice. This time I took my husband and we chose a really good one together. Good luck Mama JuJu I hope you rock your wig. Xx
Kip

Hi all, just a quick thought about nail polish!   I painted my nails with dark nail polish from teh start of Fec until the end of T... its supposed to help prevent damage from UV light I think.   My chemo nurses told me to paint them with clear when I went to chemo just so they could have a check on them.  It usually is the T part of chemo that affects the nails I think... mine have lots of ridges on them (you kind of get one each chemo I found) and then white bits at the top eventually became very dry and brittle.  Only the last couple of weeks (3 months after finsihing chemo) the white ends have all snapped off quite low, not sore at all just very short nails, so hopefully now they will begin to grow again.  Some ladies do lose nails towards the end of chemo (toes or fingers) but have all said they aren't sore once they are gone and there is always nail growing underneath.  Nail polish will help to keep them in place and a bit more sturdy.

Have to say you all made me smile with your tales of all the things you took into chemo for your first one... I did exactly the same... laden down with things and only ended up using my water bottle and sucking a few sweets.  Though I did take a friend or hubby to chat to.  If you come to have T (docetaxol) its really useful to suck ice lollies whilst its being administered (its usually by a drip) as this stops it burning in your mouth.. I used to take a box of lollies and get through about 3 or 4 a session but the hopsital also had some.   Might help with the FEC too if it makes you feel nauseous?

Kip

x

B74 I'm a teacher and had my diagnosis at the very end of August, I haven't been back to work at all. I've been told not to during chemo and with the emotional toll and then the physical issues after surgery there was no way I was going in. I'm very lucky that they will pay me for 6 months and then half pay for 6 months after that. Hugs to anyone who has to work - I really feel so lucky. Xx