January chemo

Hi Ladies, I've been jumping between threads. I see my oncologist tomorrow, I've already had a mastectomy 13 November and lymph node clearance 13 Dec . It's good to be able to see what the effects of chemo are but a bit nerve racking too. I feel like I'm in limbo don't really want chemo to start but wish it would hurry up so that life can start heading back to normal, I've been off work since my diagnosis in October due to risk of infection, due to other problems had bloods taken and my own doctor has said chemo could possibly be held off white blood cells are low cholesterol is 8 and thyroid aren't good any advice please x

Re: January 2019 chemo starters

Hi , I had picc line put in on 3rd January prior to my first treatment. I requested it as have dreadful veins and didn't want the additional stress of them not being found a vein. It's ok, procedure wasn't as bad as I was expecting, it was a little uncomfortable for a few days but is well dressed and taped down and the the nurses supply a loose sleeve so it doesn't catch in anything. It's surprising what you get used to in all this. Definitely buy the limbo picc line waterproof cover to make showering so much easier it's well worth it. Some hospitals supply foc, mine did but only had super slim size. Hope that has helped you.

due to have second taxol this week , can anyone tell me how the side effects are do they get worse. Last week was ok and bearable but anxouis re this week,

Been a bit off the radar since Thursday, and wow, what a busy thread this is!!! I have a lot of catch up reading to do, not to mention thanks to give to those who helped me feel more in control by offering advice and tips - thank you so much!!!

So, first FEC is done and, apart from a swimmy head and ridiculous tiredness, I seem to have managed ok.

I did the cold cap, which surprised as, after just 2 minutes in it was unbearable. My husband set a 15 minute timer on my phone and I kept watching it to get me through the worst bit and, once the nurse was there administering my reds and whites, I was less aware of it.

Must find sone unscented conditioner to take though as Herbal Essences was slathered on for the cold cap and the smell made me gag terribly. Smell has affected me massively, and so quickly too, which I wasn't expecting.

I've not managed much to eat since the end of the session, and I've struggled to know what I want. I've pretty much existed on whole grain cereal, wholemeal toast, fruit and sone soup. Sweet stuff doesn't appeal at all for now.

Could really do with my tummy sorting itself out though or I'll be struggling. I'm eating dried apricots daily and taken 2 doses of Senna Max Strength in the last 48 hours, to no avail. Is that TMI?!!! Eating less and sleeping as I have been won't have helped but I haven't been able to do more.

I've been asked to go in after my next treatment to have a PICC line. Maybe I'm being silly but win't it keep catching on clothes etc? Can it be taped down? I know it's not a huge thing in the grand scheme of things but a stringing arm from catching it on everything when I dress/shower/turn in bed etc sounds quite unpleasant. Has anyone else got one?

Thank you LB and you too xx
LB

👍💪 hugs 🤗 to all xxx

Yes, I felt rough for the first week too. I have got 5 days to go until my next”infusion”😵 and although I’m worried, at least I know what to expect this time🤞 I have been making the most of my time going out on my bike and walking most days and eating well. I “braved the shave” yesterday. Exactly two weeks to the day I woke up and my hair started to shed. Quite distressing even though I was expecting it. I haven’t gone for a Sinead O’Oconnor, more of an 80’s sharp flick head , with a very short undercut. It looks quite stylish and I definitely felt more liberated, not so distressed. I went with a good friend to the barbers. Barbers know how to do a good short cut and it only cost me a tenner. I liked the straightforwardness of the barber shop. Men are straight forward, no prying questions and consequently no tears. 👍Sadly, it will be a Sinead O’Connor in the next week to 10 days I guess and then baldy here I come 😥😥😥 My sister tells me I need to get my nose pierced again and a pair of big hoop earrings. Ha ha ghetto girl at 49 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Stay well and up beat ladies. Strength in numbers 💪💪💪💪😘
LB

B74 thankyou 😊
B74

Yes I totally felt like a dead battery! (see my post on 10 Jan for example). Feeling basically normal again now... there is definitely hope!!
LB

G thankyou you have given me hope x
G

Hi LB, yes, dreadful however at the end of day 7 and all of day 8 (today!) I am suddenly back. I still feel different etc however it is amazing how quickly I feel so much better...hopefully you experience this too🤞
x
LB

Hi I'm on day 5 after first chemo - did anyone else feel like a dead battery - no go in me at all :-( 

Kip

Hi all, steroid blues is a definite...  I always had a ciup!e of really teary emotional days once they had finished.... Famiky got to know when to tread carefully.... On the T part the steroid regime is different and i dont think i got so weepy.   It helps to know its a nirmal thing

G

Thank you for this B74, I will most definitely have a read! x
B74

G after such a rough week would you consider trying fasting?

I had nothing but water (& a little bit of broth for minerals) for 48 hours before the 1st infusion. I was disappointed that it wasn’t a ‘magic bullet’ and I still felt wretched - but I feel like on the whole I’ve got off pretty lightly. The acute horribleness only really lasted a day or two then I started to improve. I only took anti-nausea meds for the first 48 hours. I’ve continued to have slight queasiness, but just eat small amounts regularly and am ok. No mouth sores, diarrhoea etc and have been going for an hour walk every day.

I read everything I could lay my hands on about fasting (Longo research papers etc) but was actually more swayed by anecdotal stuff incl. this article in the Guardian (I ignored the hair replacement advice!!): https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jun/03/how-to-get-through-chemotherapy-decca-aitkenhead-can...

And this excerpt from the ‘Science of Fasting’ video: https://youtu.be/MnUq_H7zjXQ

Anyway... just something to think about. There’s no doubt that the fasting itself is challenging & not very pleasant, but I’m still going to continue, partly because I’m now terrified to experience side effects without it!!
Highlighted
LB

G and B74 thankyou for mentioning the dexamethdrone - now I know why I feel like I do. G it’s good to know you’re feeling better - I hope to pick up in a couple of days too.
G

Hi all, in the last two hours I have started to turn a corner and feel less nauseas, really weird how quickly I suddenly feel so much brighter! It is exactly a week since my first EC where I started feeling dreadful straight away but if this is the corner turned then this seems doable next time as I was starting to have my doubts! Hopefully now it will just keep improving until the next round🤞

B74, yes I think you are right, I was worse emotionally after finishing the dexamethasone - well noted, thank you! I guess I/you can plan this in for next time and might be more equipped to manage it or at least those around us might.

Hope everyone’s weekend is okay and massive hugs all round from moi! x

Sunnydaze and stuck at 14, I'm a teacher too! Smiley Happy What ages do you teach? I job-share a Year 2 Class. I went back in September after having 11mths off! Returning was a bit of a shock and I was worn out by playtime the first week! My stamina is gradually increasing now, but I've cut down the hours I work xx 

Helen, I hope chemo was ok today xx

Hi LB, glad first chemo session went ok xx

Re: Newly diagnosed starting chemo 8 January

Hi LB, I've been thinking about you, hope Tuesday wasn't too scary for you? Hopefully it went well and your haven't been too unwell xx