Community Champion

Re: January 2016 Chemo starters

Ah lovely photo - those views!!
I've never been successful posting photos on here - did you use your phone?
Xxx

So pleased you had a brilliant holiday - we love Santorini and stayed many times there. Our youngest daughter got married there at Santo Winery - the venue and views were breath taking. We had booked for 2 weeks in June , but of course had to cancel due to the BC but no doubt will go back again. 

I too have my first mammogram in November 😨, I suppose we may all worry a little that all is ok . I don't wear my wig either, but will probably them for evening when we go away in 3 weeks - sooo looking forward to getting away after the last 10 months events. Sending best wishes to you, and everyone else.image.jpeg

Community Champion

Hi everyone!
I've been reading your updates but not listed for a while so not sure if I've congratulated Elizabeth and Fiona for finishing rads - well done 🎉😊
Have been on holiday to the Greek island of Santorini for a week - it was wonderful! Sunny, breezy and very relaxing. The wig stayed at home which was very liberating especially as I wasn't having to style and straighten my hair every day which is what would have happened pre chemo! Just wash and go!! Still don't like seeing myself with white/grey hair so now I'm home to wig goes on when I go out! But I'm giving it until half term then surely it will be long enough to be dyed and vaguely styled?
Had my appointment with my breast surgeon last Thurs and I'll be having my implant changed to a smaller one probably in a years time (to suit me) as it doesn't sit right and had possibly twisted. She said she wouldn't want to do it for at least 4 months because of having radiotherapy and I'm happy with that, I'd like to get a full year in at school if possible before I'm off for another 6 weeks on sick leave!
Seeing her again end of December plus my first mammogram is coming up in November .....
Hope you're continuing to recover well Sissy, and Ellie, I hope job hunting is also going well 😊
And everyone else, hope you're all happy and doing well too!
Love Kim xxx
Community Champion

[ Edited ]

Well done for finally getting to the finish line Fiona. You need to focus on getting well now and put it all behind you. It's all seeming a long way away for me now.in fact it will be a year next week since my first visit to the GP after finding a dimple. What a horrible chain of events that triggered! I feel really good now and I'm daring to hope that all will be well for the future!
I'm glad you are ok Sissy. How lovely to renew your wedding vows. BC certainly tests relationships but I couldn't have got through without my husband there for me. He found it pretty tough too.
B*****y hot here, but I'm loving it!
Claire xxx

Well done Fiona! It's a nice feeling to have it all done, enjoy and make sure you take it easy still for a bit. I'd started exercising a couple of weeks after finishing rads, getting the motivation to do it is the hardest part I think!

I need to lose a few pounds and sort my stomach area out, since my second mx my belly looks to big against the flatness of where my breasts were!

I hope everyone is well and getting on with things. I'm recovering well and itching to get back to work! Have been researching things for my Vegas holiday in November and today booked for James and I to renew our wedding vows at one of the chapels, something else off the bucket list, lol. Need to go wedding dress shopping! Xx

Evening all.  I've completed radiotherapy today, hurrah!  I barely slept last night, I was so excited to be finishing treatment, and so I'm completely exhausted today, but happy.  My daughter has made a cake and lots of flowers have appeared.

I need to regain my fitness.  I tried a bit of yoga yesterday and was horrified by how feeble I've become.  Today I did some Pilates and went swimming - only managed about 10 lengths, I'm thinking I need to increase it gradually, but goodness I've got a long way to go.  No wonder I've put on about 8 lb.  Time to make some good habits....   Hope everyone else is having a good day and gradually getting back to normal.  We can do know it!  Lots of love to all. XX

Community Champion

Hi everyone,

im glad you are ok Sissy and that everyone is dong well. Sorry to hear work not good Ellie. When you have been through the c***p we have it's just not worth putting up with problems like that!

As for bucket lists. My new mantra is to enjoy every good day I have. I don't know what's round the corner, but at the moment I feel really well so I'm getting out and enjoying life!

i appreciate little things much more too. Just putting on mascara again after losing my eyelashes and being able to walk and exercise without feeling exhausted are wonderful! And - I'm having my hair coloured on Wednesday! The onc says it's fine as I have  very strong thick hair. Can't wait!! 

So on my bucket list:

buy a new horse (I'm looking!)

Have the Caribbean holiday I had to cancel because of effing bc (planned for next year after recon)

go skiing ( another holiday I missed because of chemo)

do things more spontaneously and grab opportunities when they arise

lose a stone 

spend more time with family and friends

but above all stay as healthy and happy as I can and NEVER take life for granted again!!

love to all

claire xxxx

Good to hear from you Sissy - glad to know you are home! 

Hello all,

Well done Elizabeth with getting through rads! Regarding bucket list, I haven't written anything down officially but i do have a list in my head of things I want to experience and places I want to go, also want to be more spontaneous with plans so have booked to go to Spain for three nights in October!

I'm feeling very well at the moment. Left hospital at 1pm on Friday having had both drains removed. Haven't really been using many pain meds, just a couple of paracetamols here and there. I feel a lot more capable compared to how I did after the last mx which also included ANC. Managed to get dressed today and sat in garden with family when they visited. Have been doing a bit of online shopping for some new clothes as some of my tops will now be too big as I'll be having smaller prosthetics and sometimes will be going out fully flat.

How is everyone else? Ellie, I'm glad you're getting your energy back but sad to hear works not been good. Xx

I don't know about bucket list but I am enjoying feeling fitter every day! Garden is starting to look  like someone lives here... 

I have just started looking for a new job as things at work at unbearable. Maybe a new start is what I need. After all the challenges, I never thought returning to work would be one of them! 

Ellie 

Hi Elizabeth - pleased your rads finished also and doing ok - hope no s/e from Tamoxifen . I've now had 2 1/2 months of the dreaded Letrozole - first 4 weeks fine, the horrible 'morning sickness despite taking the Domperidome. On Onc review, he advised to take it at night instead of a morning, which is better than before, but seems any alcohol ( very small glass ) seems to affect it 😨- oh well, prob 5 yrs of being T T .

Hope you got home quickly Sissy and feeling more comfortable . Hope you're getting waited on and taking it easy.  Best wishes to everyone else - haven't we all come such a long way since being diagnosed and all the fears that came with it !!!! Sending best wishes to all , Mechele.

Ps Elizabeth, you could always borrow some of my grandchildren - have 13 to date , but max will no doubt be 14 - that's enough don't you think - Xmas is EXPENSIVE !!

Hi ladies.  Good to hear everyone making good progress and that sissy's op went well.  I finished rads yesterday so that's another milestone passed.  Have started tamoxifen and continuing with herceptin until February.  I did a bucket list when I was first diagnosed and I need to start ticking things off. Cocktails at the Shard and art classes are the first things I am going to tackle. Becoming a grandma might be a little tricky...my children are only 20 and 17...so I am thinking long term here 😊.  Anyone else got a bucket list?   Take care everyone.  Elizabeth💕

Great news Sissy I'm so glad that you are through the surgery.  Rest plenty and make sure you don't try to do things too soon (that is usually my downfall) .  I hope that you are not feeling too uncomfortable today.  Just keep taking the pain relief....  I'm just off to my 14/20 radiotherapy appt.  Looking forward to it being finished, it's been uneventful so far, my skin has just started to look a bit tanned. X

Well done Sissy! A major huddle over and your future safer. Hope you are coping with the indignities! Xxx

So pleased you ok Sissy - hoping you get a restful night - sending best wishes for a speedy recovery , love Mechele X
Community Champion

Good to hear from you Sissy 😊
Hope the pain relief is working, the tea and toast tasty and the ward nice and quiet so you have a restful night 😊
Xxx

All done ladies. managed to hold It together until the pre theatre anaesthetic room where I had a few tears asking them to make sure I didn't wake up during the op, lol, but I was out after around an hour and I to recovery. Recovery area didn't go to plan though, ended up spending 6hrs in there as the bed I was allocated wasn't ready because the person who was in it was reluctant to vacate. Felt sorry for the nurses where I was as they felt bad for me. Because I was in recovery they still had me hooked up to things so if I wanted a wee it had to be in a bed pan, not very dignified. They also had to put the cannulater in my node free arm as they couldn't use left arm as that's where the mx was taking place and they didn't want to use my feet. I did query this with anaesthetist but she said the needle wouldn't be an issue as it was sterile etc, and that it's the pressure of taking blood pressure that would cause problems, so they've been taking that from my leg instead.

Hope you're all doing well xx
Community Champion

Fiona, I so agree with that one! Post op tea and toast tastes so good!!

We're all thinking of you Sissy, and hoping all goes well and that the drain comes out as soon as possible.  Take it easy and recover well.  It's a bit weird, but I must say I absolutely love the tea and toast they bring you in hospital after surgery, for some reason it always tastes like the most delicious thing ever, it's probably the relief!  X

Community Champion

Good luck Sissy!! I'm feeling quite excited/emotional for you! Xxx