Re: January 2016 Chemo starters

Give my love to all on I.O.W. Have a super time, thinking of you .x

I'm not cold capping as I suffer from migraines, which the cold cap can aggravate. Apparently the fec chemo can aggabavte migraines, can do without them on top of all the other possible SE's! X

Hi Kim, I agree with you , don't think I'll bother with even trying cold cap - think it doesn't always work anyway. I'm also going to think about a wig - maybe blondish 😊 Instead of usual dark brown .
Community Champion

First appointment with oncologist went well, she was lovely. Will be having 3xFEC then 3xFECT followed by 3weeks radiotherapy. They couldn't fit me in for my pre-assessment until 18 Jan (Shropshire) and I was told that if the prescription has come through then my start date could be the next day. Was shown the ward where we'll all be - little areas with comfy chairs for whoever has come along with you, looked very cosy and welcoming! I'm hoping I can get signed off work for those extra 2 weeks (I am a teaching assistant) so I can get the house back to normal from Christmas in my own time! I was told I will lose my hair, but I didn't ask about the cold cap things cos I think I've already decided I'd hate them and I'm going to cut my hair and have a wig the same style. Just thinking about the grey roots coming through - I'd need a wig to cover them!! Going to book an appointment to get the hair sorted as soon as I can in Jan. I've lost loads of weight that I couldn't afford to do despite Christmas - I'm 8 stone 11 and 5 foot 8!! So I'm going to be trying to gain weight while eating healthily!! Not going to be easy!
Good luck to you all! Xxx

Hello all, I'll be starting chemo in January, 3xfec followed by 3xT and then 10yrs of tamoxifen. My dx was grade 3 invasive ducal with 6/13 nodes effected, though 2 were only microscopic, PET/CT scan clear for spread. I had a mx and anc on 05/11/15 which was a lot easier to recover from than I imagined it would be, had a Seroma which has only just stopped refilling. Have had my op with oncologist so I'm good to go, just waiting to hear from chemo nurses about a start date. My health authority is back logged though so they don't think it'll be until the first or second week of January. I'm not very prepared though I have been and chosen a wig! Sissy xx

Hi Kim - I start Friday 15th ( Wed 13th for bloods etc ) . Yes, think it will be very useful to exchange how we are all feeling - suppose will vary depending on drug regime .

Hi ladies,

i am am from Decided 2015 group and had my second dose of FEC on Tuesday.  It is not as bad as I expected, everyone seems to react a bit differently but I haven't been sick once and have managed to get through well so far.  I feel a bit tired and lose my appetite and sense of taste.  I didn't cold cap so have lost my hair but my wig is really good and have only worn it since Saturday and is just part of me now.

just ask if you have any questions there are lots of us who are midway and can offer support.

I had a small ductal tumour and a 3mm bit in my sentinel node, if it had been 2mm I would have escaped chemo, but feel reassured that it gives me the very best chance to be cancer free. Gillian x

Hello all

I too am starting chemo  - 1st EC on Jan 5th.  Trying not to think about it over Xmas, & that includes putting off decisions about the hair.  I've opted to try the cold cap, but even if it does work, I can't see how 6 months or so without being able to touch up grey roots is going to be a good look!

Katy - so good to hear your story & to know there is light at the end of this tunnel, your words of encouragement are so appreciated!  

I'm finding all the earlier threads so helpful.  Although I'm far from prepared, at least I've an idea of what to expect - just hope I don't get all the side effects at once..

Hope everyone manages to get to enjoy Xmas..

Jan

xx

Community Champion

Hi Kim, my husband grew up near Shorwell and has lots of family still on the Island so we go back regularly. We live in Kent now though. I have just been to see my BCN for a prosthesis fitting and she reassured me that putting off seeing the onc till Jan was ok and won't make any difference. I just need a bit of breathing space before chemo starts. She also talked to me about the cold cap. It may work and she had just seen a patient who had kept most of her hair. I have got pretty thick  hair and don't suffer from headaches so it's worth a try. Nothing to lose!  well except my hair!! 

I am a teacher and I am very worried about how I will cope with being off work so long. I love my job. As you say being at work was the best medicine for me pre op. I teach year 6 but I am also deputy head so I may be able to go into work on the good week to do some admin jobs. I definitely won't be allowed too much contact with the children.

we must keep telling ourselves this is only a small part of our lives and we will be doing it to ensure our future! Hard though!

have a great Christmas.

claire xxx

Community Champion

Thanks for your support Katy, have a great Christmas - I keep thinking 'this time next year...!
Claire, where on the IOW are you off to? I was brought up in Cowes, have no family there now but went back in the summer to meet up with a couple of school friends. I don't blame you delaying your appointment, keeps Christmas going just that bit longer before the next stage of our journey - hope you have a great time!
I'm hoping to have my drain out tomorrow so I can walk round with more freedom!! So looking forward to having a shower!! Still sore from my operation but I guess it is only just over 2 weeks and I can get more comfortable in bed now.
I'm a teaching assistant and before my operation found that being with the kids (7-11yr olds) was the best thing for keeping my mind off things, so I know I'm going to hate being off for so long.
I keep reading the chemo threads, wondering how it's going to affect me, will I lose my hair? Will I be sick? Should I try the cold cap? I guess I'll know soon enough!
Have a really good Christmas xxx
Community Champion

Thanks Katy. I am petrified about chemo but I have decided to put it out of my mind until January.I was offered an appointment to see the onc next Tues  but we have a big family gathering planned on the Isle of Wight and I can t let them down. I am sure another week won't make too much difference as some  people have to wait far longer than me. All my nodes were clear bar one and they don't seem too bothered about scanning me to check for spread. I have had nothing but stress and worry about BC since I first went to the GP at the beginning of September so I reckon I need a break from it before I face the next very big hurdle. Enjoy your first Christmas post treatment! Claire xxxx

Just wanted to say hello to all you January starters.  I was a January starter in 2015 having been diagnosed in Dec 2014 I want straight in to chemo.  I urge you to use this forum as much as you can to support each other - there was nothing more powerful for me than being able to write all my innermost thoughts and fears in such a safe place with people who completely got it.

I finished active treatment in October and am now just taking Tamoxifen, I am celebrating a very different Christmas this year and know that you will all get there however long the road appears now.  Sending you love and hugs, I'll drop in every so often if I can offer support. Katy x

Community Champion

I will be a January starter too. Waiting to see onc prob 4th jan then starting as soon as poss after that. I had two ops long story but ended up with bilateral mx and lymph clearance on right side. Second op was 3rd Dec. I Had op results yesterday. Only the sentinel node affected on right. Other side clear but got to have chemo. I am absolutely dreading it but I know I have to do it to ensure my future. Hair loss is my biggest hang up but I will try the cold cap. Not looking forward to not being able to work for so long either. There are a few of us on the just diagnosed thread who will also be staring in Jan so I am sure we will all find our way over here. Let's hope the mutual support will help us get through it. 

I am going to try to forget it over Christmas than face it again after that! 

Hugs Claire xxx

Community Champion

January 2016 Chemo starters

Have got my first appointment with the oncologist next Tuesday, and I'm guessing chemo will start soon after in January assuming I've healed properly (left breast mastectomy and reconstruction Dec 7) I have found the other threads so helpful so I thought maybe I'd start this one for us January starters. I will also be checking out the December threads for support and advice too Smiley Happy