Community Champion

Re: January 2016 Chemo starters

Hi Kim, glad to hear you are doing well and enjoying normal lfe again. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister in law. Hopefully she will have a less invasive course of treatment and with your support will get through it ok.
The anniversaries are hard. My first op was a year ago next Saturday. I know that will be a tough day. Thank goodness were all through it though. This time last year I was so petrified and felt I had no control over my life. It was so hard.
The moving forward course is good and it's lovely to meet Ellie and Sissy (Sarah) for real!
I hope everyone else is doing ok.
Lots of love,
Claire xxxx
Community Champion

Hi everyone Smiley Happy

How was the Moving On course?  It's nice to think that the 3 of you managed to finally meet each other.

It's now a year ago since I was called back for further testing from my routine mamogram and the 12 November will be the anniversary of the day I was diagnosed.  I have a letter from the hospital to arrange an appointment, so I'm guessing it's for my yearly mamogram.  I'm not worried about it, but I'm quite sure that I'll be in tears when I approach the machine.  But I guess it will get easier from there.

I had my first visit to the hairdresser 3 weeks ago (don't think I posted that at the time).  It was so nice to feel pampered!  She spent nearly an hour trimming and chatting.  Still wearing my wig and have decided to carry on doing so until Christmas when I'll have had it cut a couple more times and then finally coloured.

Half term is approaching and I'm pleased to say I've managed a whole half term!! It's so good to be back at work Smiley Happy  I think I am so much more calmer and laid back than I used to be at work - just enjoying the company of the children rather than feeling the stress.

A couple of weeks ago my sister in law (Mark's sister) was also diagnosed with brest cancer, which has been a shock.  You kind of think that having it yourself means that your friends and relatives will be spared (law of averages) but it really isn't the case.  The good news (not that cancer is good news) is that they think it is stage 1 and she will have radiotherapy after her lumpectomy and not chemotherapy.  But as we know, things can change once they've analysed what they've removed.  I've just been cooking meals made from mince for her to put in the freezer to tide her over for the next 2 weeks as she has her operation on Thursday.  She lives just with her daughter who has just started a new job so it is going to be tough for her too.  

I hope you are all well and enjoying being able to get on with day to day life Smiley Happy

Lots of love Kim xxx

Hi Claire and Sissy, have you worked out where we have to go tomorrow? Ellie.

Hi all, the oncologist went well, it was a bit rushed because I had to go and pick up the children from school straight after and was late going in, but I managed to ask all the questions on my list. My next appointment is a check up with the plastic surgeon, and then just annual mammograms. That's it! I did ask him what he thought my risk of recurrence was, now that treatment is finished. He said 10%, which isn't great, but It's not that bad either. I want to know so that I can plan ahead with at least some Idea that I'll still be here for a few years..... I like to be prepared, even if it's being prepared for the worst. Hope that doesn't sound too grim. Hope you are all doing well and "moving on". XX

Hope the trip to the oncologist went well.

Ellie.

Community Champion

Hello lovely January ladies,

so it's one year tomorrow since I was diagnosed and the nightmare unfolded. I'm sitting here with a glass of wine reflecting on all that happened to me. I find it very difficult to think too deeply about the day my life came crashing down and everything that followed as its all still so painful and raw. I think about myself a year ago and ask myself how the hell did I cope with everything that followed. At the start of it all I couldn't imagine ever getting to where I am now with life pretty much back to normal. I am so lucky to have got through it and hopefully have a long future ahead of me. I've got a new house to move into, two happy and healthy sons, a lovely husband, a job I love and a new horse. I am so grateful for all this.

Thank you to all the lovely ladies on this thread for all you did to support me through chemo.

love to all

Claire xxxxx

image.jpegI have also finally worked out how to add a photo!  Still feeling a bit up and down, but I think the trend is up.  Seeing my oncologist later this week, hopefully for the last time EVER.  Not sure how long it will take me to feel over this extended episode, what a year it has been.....  thanks so much to all of you fab ladies for helping me through it all.  It has made such a difference to have fellow travellers.  Lots of love. X

Community Champion

Your hair looks great Ellie. I'm looking forward to seeing you for real at the moving forward course. Mine is very thick too and wavy. It was thick before but I don't know if it's because it's shorter it feel as if there is a lot there!
I'm on tamoxifen and luckily haven't suffered too much with side effects. I'm a bit achy in the morning but that could be old age!
Love to all.
Claire xx

I have the hot flushes Mechelle - boy! Dr suggested switching to all cotton sheets, cool pillow, avoiding red ine, chocolate, cheese and coffee and drinking sage tea.

I have the aches and pains too! I find the warmth helps and so whilst trying to keep cool I end up wearing socks! 

I can't believe how thick my hair is as I am sure it wasn't before! 

Community Champion

Your hair is lovely and thick Ellie! I'm pretty sure I was grey before but have dyed it for years so it was no surprise to me!!
I'm on Anastrozole and have just started to take sodium chlodronate along side it to give protection from the cancer returning in my bones. The Anastrozole gives me stiff joints if I sit or lie for more than 20 mins and at night, pains in my feet and hands - particularly my left hand (which is also my lymphoedema arm) so much so that I can hardly move my fingers when I wake up. They're fine once I put them under warm water tho.
I'm feeling way more positive at the moment, so these side effects aren't bothering me at the moment!
Xxx

Hi Ellie, what a good photo - your hair looks quite thick too. It's strange how a few of us have this 'steely grey' colour- I wonder how many were grey prior to treatment. I had some grey, but having dyed it for several years, it's difficult to say to what extent !!! 

Re your post - I am on Letrozole and for the first 4-5 weeks had no s/e whatsoever . Then started with hot flashes, much worse than the flushes I'd had for numerous years, but nothing I can't cope with. I also had ' morning sickness/ nausea , oh boy !!! Re started Domperidome with ? slightly helped. On review with con onc, he suggested taking it at night( instead of a morning ) and that he didn't think it was due to the Letrozole !!!!!!!( does say tho on info ? nausea / vomiting). Saw GP as the nausea was getting me down and put me on Cyclizine- I take one at night with the Letrozole - problem solved , yehhh. Now 12 weeks since having the Dexa scan with no result as yet - need result for when I renew travel insurance at the beginning of November, so hopefully will come whilst on holiday. Hope you are feeling ok, love and best wishes to all. X X 

Could I ask if anyone else is on an aromatase inhibitor? 

image.jpegWorked out how to do it!!

Hi guys I've also jumped in from March group to check out your hair. Wow what a difference 2 months makes! You all look great xx
Community Champion

Ah pleased you dropped in on us Smiley Happy Xx

Kim's colour I was referring too! Xx

Hi I'm jumping in from the March thread as Kim saw my post about my hair (or slow growth lack of it lol) and you all look amazing! If I can achieve the same growth as all of you in 2months time I'll be happy xx Colista xx
P.S if mine comes back your colour I won't be dying it as that's the colour I want....grey is soooo in right now! Yours looks fandabbydozey 💕
Community Champion

Elizabeth, your hair looks great! Mine is very bushy and sticks up so I'm hoping as it grows and gets more weight it will lie flatter! Not moaning though I'm so pleased I  managed to hang on to it!

I saw my surgeon on Monday. All v good. Haven't got to go back for a year! I'm being referred to the plastic surgeon for recon and he said I mustnt lose any weight! I've never been particularly fat and they will need the weight I have put on to make new boobs! That's a result!! Although I hate feeling fat and untoned, so I'm trying ,y best to get as fit as possible!

Have a wonderful weekend. Happy holidays Cassy and Mechele,

claire xxx

Hi Mechele

My husband shopped arouind online and we used a company called GetGoing Travel Insurance. Obviously, it was like writing a book having to inform them of absolutely everything. But wasn't expensive, nothing like I had imagined.

xxx

Hi Elizabeth - lovely to hear that you're feeling so much better and your hair really does look lovely - probably be early spring before mine gets to that length . It's great seeing everyone's photos and being able to put a face to a name .

Wishing everyone a good weekend 

Mechele X