cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

January 2016 Chemo starters

Community Champion

Re: January 2016 Chemo starters

Hi Eveybody,

har looks good Sissy! I'm really appreciating my eyelashes too. Even though I kept my hair I had to have it cut short so  I'm having to get used to having short hair. when   I look in the mirror it's still a bit of a shock! I struggle with my flat chest too. It's ok when I'm dressed but my boobs and my hair were the two parts of my body l liked best! 

Doht worry too much about the tamoxifen Sissy. I was dreading starting it and put it off as long as possible, but luckily I've had hardly any side effects. I take it at night which I was advised is the best time.

im sorry younarecfeelng a bit down Kim. It's going to be hard over the next few weeks with anniversaries and breast cancer awareness month coming up. I've got my first routine check up with the surgeon on Monday and when I phoned up to check what time I felt sick just thinking about going back! Too many horrible memories. I think it's quite common for people to suffer from ptsd after cancer treatment and I can understand why! As Sissy said, have you booked onto a moving forward course? I'm doing one with Sissy and Ellie in October and I'm really looking forward to it. 

I started beck to my normal work hours this week which I'm really enjoying. We are taking my younger son off to university for the first time this weekend so it's going to be an emotional one! I'm very proud of him for doing so well at a level through such a horrible year! 

love to all. We're all still here to support each other,

claire xxx

Sorry about the big picture size!

Hello all, as you can see my hair has thickened out, the curling around the ears is very annoying though, I have my first hair trim booked for two weeks time! I'm now four weeks post my second mx, am back at work for 5hrs a shift, will up it to 6hrs soon. Have started a new role at work, which means no more nights and I now have evenings off. I've been working shifts for the last 10yrs, so I'm enjoying the change and hoping to take up an evening hobby! Mentally I'm not too bad, however it's always at the back of my mind.

Cassie, you're looking fab, enjoy your holiday, it's well deserved. Kim, have you been able to book on to a moving on course? It could help?

how is everyone else getting on with things? 

Im meant to start tamoxifen today, feeling a bit apprehensive about it and worried about SE's, think I will wait until Monday and start them on a new week. How do you all get on with it? 

Love be to all xx

image.jpeg

Community Champion

My hair is similar length and colour to yours Cassy but curly which it was before but I always straightened it. Need to charge up my iPad to see if I can post photos using that - can't seem to on my phone even tho it's an iPhone.
Well I'm struggling a bit mentally, feeling a bit teary and low which I'm hoping will pass. Trouble is even though I'm back at work (school) which is nice and busy so my mind is occupied, it's the daily looking at my grey hair, reconstructed breast, lymphoedema arm and daily medication and achey side effects, which means it's impossible not to think about the implications of having breast cancer. Tomorrow is the anniversary of the first routine mammogram appointment Ivwas given but rearranged because we were on a school trip. ( I know the delay didn't make any difference and infact it meant I wasn't having chemo over Christmas and I got to be a Jan chemo starter with you guys which has been good 😊 ) but I do wish I could go a while without thinking about it!! I'm sure this will pass but just needed a bit of a moan right now before I head off to bed - might help me sleep getting it off my chest!
Hope you're all in a good place at the moment tho 😊
Xxx

Hi all,

I too have been thinking about anniversaries, it was a year ago today I had my recall appointment, which resulted in having a bioposy and it's almost a year since I was diagnosed.

I have my mammogram on Wednesday and then a follow up with my oncologist on the 12th Sept. I will be glad once I am past that, trying not to worry about it...I am really busy at work and we fly to Corfu on Mon 19th Sept for a fortnight, so those two things have helped me not to fixate on 'what if'.

I am quite a large lady, I have been trying to lose weight, I have managed just over a stone and a half so far, but really need to lose quite a few more stones to get to a healthier weight. I am determined to be healthier and give myself the best chance.

My hair has begun to thicken now and has grown a bit, I am used to it now and I am even considering sticking with the steely grey! I will be happier once I can get it to look a little more feminine.

I hope that you all keep posting every so often, it is good to keep up to date with everyone's recovery, worries and achievements.

With love from Cassy x

IMG_2694.JPG

Hi all it's good to hear from everyone.  Claire I'm so pleased you've found your horse, hope it is just what you want, Kim and Mechele I'm definitely putting Santorini on my list of places to visit, it sounds like heaven.  Sissy it's great that you'll renew your vows in Vegas, v Rock'n'Roll!  Ellie, thank goodness you've found a way out of the work situation, although sorry it will be an upheaval.  Hope you find something else with nice people soon. I think it's good to be decisive and move on.  Elizabeth I'm so sorry you've suffered with skin problems, I hope it all settles down quickly and.  Debbie and Cassie hope all going well and recovery continues to be smooth.  I agree with everyone that having rubbishy hair is quite liberating, just wash and go has its advantages and saves so much time!  I'm going back to work on Monday, have been swimming 30 lengths every other day, and have lost 3lbs so feeling positive!  X

Community Champion

Sorry you are struggling Elizabeth. I hope you heal up soon.
You are right about anniversaries coming up. It's exactly a year today that I went to the GP ( at this exact time!) with my breast dimple and the nightmare began. I knew as soon as I saw the doctors face that I wasn't going to get good news. Two weeks later I was at the hospital and was diagnosed on 30th Sept.
I look back and think how the hell did I get though it all. I never ever want to have to do it again!
I'm just about to go and ride the horse I am buying so I'm doing the thing I really love and thinking very positively about the future.
I guess the next month or so will be difficult but THANK GOD we are out the other side,
Love to all
Claire xxxx

P.S Lookng forward to seeing Ellie and Sissy at the moving forward course. I hope your job hunting goes well Ellie. X

Hello all

i hope you are all ok.  Mechele that's a lovely photo. Well done Ellie on handing in your notice...life's too short to take too much crap.  Are you going to be job hunting now?  Good luck if you are.  Sissy I hope you do manage to renew your wedding vows n Vegas...you must post a pic.  We are probably all approaching our first anniversary.  I had a mammogram late last September and was recalled mid October...and so it began😩 I finished my rads 3 weeks ago and I am still in a lot of pain.  My skin keeps breaking down and I am in my 3rd lot of antibiotics.  My boob is swollen and v sore it feels like it could explode.  Got appt with consultant later so maybe she will fix me.  It has been getting me down because I had wanted to begin to exercise and gain some fitness back.  But I've been lying around with my tits out as much as possible letting the air get to it.  I thought I would be through this bit by now. 

Have a good weekend everyone. 

Elizabeth x

Stunningly beautiful photo! Well done. 

I resigned today! So now penniless but happy! Job applications here I come. 

Ellie

No - iPad . Didn't realise I could but above where I'm writing , there's the usual icons showing font sizes, bold text etc etc - saw the picture icon and thought I'd give it a try - voila 😊 

Community Champion

Ah lovely photo - those views!!
I've never been successful posting photos on here - did you use your phone?
Xxx

So pleased you had a brilliant holiday - we love Santorini and stayed many times there. Our youngest daughter got married there at Santo Winery - the venue and views were breath taking. We had booked for 2 weeks in June , but of course had to cancel due to the BC but no doubt will go back again. 

I too have my first mammogram in November 😨, I suppose we may all worry a little that all is ok . I don't wear my wig either, but will probably them for evening when we go away in 3 weeks - sooo looking forward to getting away after the last 10 months events. Sending best wishes to you, and everyone else.image.jpeg

Community Champion

Hi everyone!
I've been reading your updates but not listed for a while so not sure if I've congratulated Elizabeth and Fiona for finishing rads - well done 🎉😊
Have been on holiday to the Greek island of Santorini for a week - it was wonderful! Sunny, breezy and very relaxing. The wig stayed at home which was very liberating especially as I wasn't having to style and straighten my hair every day which is what would have happened pre chemo! Just wash and go!! Still don't like seeing myself with white/grey hair so now I'm home to wig goes on when I go out! But I'm giving it until half term then surely it will be long enough to be dyed and vaguely styled?
Had my appointment with my breast surgeon last Thurs and I'll be having my implant changed to a smaller one probably in a years time (to suit me) as it doesn't sit right and had possibly twisted. She said she wouldn't want to do it for at least 4 months because of having radiotherapy and I'm happy with that, I'd like to get a full year in at school if possible before I'm off for another 6 weeks on sick leave!
Seeing her again end of December plus my first mammogram is coming up in November .....
Hope you're continuing to recover well Sissy, and Ellie, I hope job hunting is also going well 😊
And everyone else, hope you're all happy and doing well too!
Love Kim xxx
Community Champion

Well done for finally getting to the finish line Fiona. You need to focus on getting well now and put it all behind you. It's all seeming a long way away for me now.in fact it will be a year next week since my first visit to the GP after finding a dimple. What a horrible chain of events that triggered! I feel really good now and I'm daring to hope that all will be well for the future!
I'm glad you are ok Sissy. How lovely to renew your wedding vows. BC certainly tests relationships but I couldn't have got through without my husband there for me. He found it pretty tough too.
B*****y hot here, but I'm loving it!
Claire xxx

Well done Fiona! It's a nice feeling to have it all done, enjoy and make sure you take it easy still for a bit. I'd started exercising a couple of weeks after finishing rads, getting the motivation to do it is the hardest part I think!

I need to lose a few pounds and sort my stomach area out, since my second mx my belly looks to big against the flatness of where my breasts were!

I hope everyone is well and getting on with things. I'm recovering well and itching to get back to work! Have been researching things for my Vegas holiday in November and today booked for James and I to renew our wedding vows at one of the chapels, something else off the bucket list, lol. Need to go wedding dress shopping! Xx

Evening all.  I've completed radiotherapy today, hurrah!  I barely slept last night, I was so excited to be finishing treatment, and so I'm completely exhausted today, but happy.  My daughter has made a cake and lots of flowers have appeared.

I need to regain my fitness.  I tried a bit of yoga yesterday and was horrified by how feeble I've become.  Today I did some Pilates and went swimming - only managed about 10 lengths, I'm thinking I need to increase it gradually, but goodness I've got a long way to go.  No wonder I've put on about 8 lb.  Time to make some good habits....   Hope everyone else is having a good day and gradually getting back to normal.  We can do know it!  Lots of love to all. XX

Community Champion

Hi everyone,

im glad you are ok Sissy and that everyone is dong well. Sorry to hear work not good Ellie. When you have been through the c***p we have it's just not worth putting up with problems like that!

As for bucket lists. My new mantra is to enjoy every good day I have. I don't know what's round the corner, but at the moment I feel really well so I'm getting out and enjoying life!

i appreciate little things much more too. Just putting on mascara again after losing my eyelashes and being able to walk and exercise without feeling exhausted are wonderful! And - I'm having my hair coloured on Wednesday! The onc says it's fine as I have  very strong thick hair. Can't wait!! 

So on my bucket list:

buy a new horse (I'm looking!)

Have the Caribbean holiday I had to cancel because of effing bc (planned for next year after recon)

go skiing ( another holiday I missed because of chemo)

do things more spontaneously and grab opportunities when they arise

lose a stone 

spend more time with family and friends

but above all stay as healthy and happy as I can and NEVER take life for granted again!!

love to all

claire xxxx

Good to hear from you Sissy - glad to know you are home! 

Hello all,

Well done Elizabeth with getting through rads! Regarding bucket list, I haven't written anything down officially but i do have a list in my head of things I want to experience and places I want to go, also want to be more spontaneous with plans so have booked to go to Spain for three nights in October!

I'm feeling very well at the moment. Left hospital at 1pm on Friday having had both drains removed. Haven't really been using many pain meds, just a couple of paracetamols here and there. I feel a lot more capable compared to how I did after the last mx which also included ANC. Managed to get dressed today and sat in garden with family when they visited. Have been doing a bit of online shopping for some new clothes as some of my tops will now be too big as I'll be having smaller prosthetics and sometimes will be going out fully flat.

How is everyone else? Ellie, I'm glad you're getting your energy back but sad to hear works not been good. Xx

I don't know about bucket list but I am enjoying feeling fitter every day! Garden is starting to look  like someone lives here... 

I have just started looking for a new job as things at work at unbearable. Maybe a new start is what I need. After all the challenges, I never thought returning to work would be one of them! 

Ellie 

Hi Elizabeth - pleased your rads finished also and doing ok - hope no s/e from Tamoxifen . I've now had 2 1/2 months of the dreaded Letrozole - first 4 weeks fine, the horrible 'morning sickness despite taking the Domperidome. On Onc review, he advised to take it at night instead of a morning, which is better than before, but seems any alcohol ( very small glass ) seems to affect it 😨- oh well, prob 5 yrs of being T T .

Hope you got home quickly Sissy and feeling more comfortable . Hope you're getting waited on and taking it easy.  Best wishes to everyone else - haven't we all come such a long way since being diagnosed and all the fears that came with it !!!! Sending best wishes to all , Mechele.

Ps Elizabeth, you could always borrow some of my grandchildren - have 13 to date , but max will no doubt be 14 - that's enough don't you think - Xmas is EXPENSIVE !!

Hi ladies.  Good to hear everyone making good progress and that sissy's op went well.  I finished rads yesterday so that's another milestone passed.  Have started tamoxifen and continuing with herceptin until February.  I did a bucket list when I was first diagnosed and I need to start ticking things off. Cocktails at the Shard and art classes are the first things I am going to tackle. Becoming a grandma might be a little tricky...my children are only 20 and 17...so I am thinking long term here 😊.  Anyone else got a bucket list?   Take care everyone.  Elizabeth💕

Great news Sissy I'm so glad that you are through the surgery.  Rest plenty and make sure you don't try to do things too soon (that is usually my downfall) .  I hope that you are not feeling too uncomfortable today.  Just keep taking the pain relief....  I'm just off to my 14/20 radiotherapy appt.  Looking forward to it being finished, it's been uneventful so far, my skin has just started to look a bit tanned. X

Well done Sissy! A major huddle over and your future safer. Hope you are coping with the indignities! Xxx

So pleased you ok Sissy - hoping you get a restful night - sending best wishes for a speedy recovery , love Mechele X
Community Champion

Good to hear from you Sissy 😊
Hope the pain relief is working, the tea and toast tasty and the ward nice and quiet so you have a restful night 😊
Xxx

All done ladies. managed to hold It together until the pre theatre anaesthetic room where I had a few tears asking them to make sure I didn't wake up during the op, lol, but I was out after around an hour and I to recovery. Recovery area didn't go to plan though, ended up spending 6hrs in there as the bed I was allocated wasn't ready because the person who was in it was reluctant to vacate. Felt sorry for the nurses where I was as they felt bad for me. Because I was in recovery they still had me hooked up to things so if I wanted a wee it had to be in a bed pan, not very dignified. They also had to put the cannulater in my node free arm as they couldn't use left arm as that's where the mx was taking place and they didn't want to use my feet. I did query this with anaesthetist but she said the needle wouldn't be an issue as it was sterile etc, and that it's the pressure of taking blood pressure that would cause problems, so they've been taking that from my leg instead.

Hope you're all doing well xx
Community Champion

Fiona, I so agree with that one! Post op tea and toast tastes so good!!

We're all thinking of you Sissy, and hoping all goes well and that the drain comes out as soon as possible.  Take it easy and recover well.  It's a bit weird, but I must say I absolutely love the tea and toast they bring you in hospital after surgery, for some reason it always tastes like the most delicious thing ever, it's probably the relief!  X

Community Champion

Good luck Sissy!! I'm feeling quite excited/emotional for you! Xxx

Hello ladies,

Thank you for all of your supportive replies, it helps to know that it's not just me who has these worries and dark thoughts.

My pre-op was fine. Ecg all good, guess my bloods were okay as no one has called to say they weren't. It would seem I'm still first on the list for tomorrow's op, and in theatre 5, which is my lucky number! I feel no where near as anxious as I did before my first mx, as at least I now know what to expect operation wise, and I'm hoping it'll all be much the same as before, though as I'm not having ANC this time, hopefully the arm won't be so sore. This may sound strange, but I feel a little excited to be fully flat.

My bag is packed, have bought some new lightweight button up pj's, slippers and a new lightweight dressing gown, iPad is fully charged as is the kindle. Just thinking of what to wear home as need something that I can button up. Last time I wore a tracksuit, however it was in the winter and a lot colder. Fingers crossed that the drain will be removed before I get home like before. I've spent today giving the house a good clean in readiness as well.

Met with the Bcn last week and tried on some new prosthetics. I'm currently a gg cup which has been a pain with trying to find bras suitable for prosthetics, so have decided to go a few cup sizes smaller and am looking at a d or dd cup size.

Fiona, glad you're nearly done with rads. I was quite tearful on my last one, and it'll be nice for you to not have to visit hospital every day.

I hope everyone else is well any enjoying the nice weather we've been having. I'll message tomorrow once I'm back on the ward. Sissy xx

Sissy, I belatedly want to say that I agree with everything everyone else has said, especially that I agree with all the great advice to you and to agree that we all feel the same way at times with the dark thoughts.  I don't think we'll every stop worrying that we'll get secondaries or some other horrible thing.  This has been a wonderful group and a great comfort because no one else really gets it and our loved ones are having to deal with difficult feelings themselves so can't be expected to support us in the same way that we can help each other.

I'm over half way though the radiotherapy now.  So far it's been fine.  I'm only 5 minutes from the hospital and mostly have my appointment first thing in the morning.  I have been surprised to feel really emotional during the treatment on some days and quite cheerful on other days with no apparent pattern!

I'm struggling a bit with the children all been on holiday it means there's much more cooking, washing and generally clearing up and also taxi ing them and their friends around  TBH I'll be glad when they're all back at school and I can vegetate for a week and just gather myself together  before I go back at work properly in September.  Love to you all. Fiona XX

Community Champion

Hi everyone, I agree with you Kim, this is a good place to come to when we need support as we are all pretty much at the same stage in recovery and totally understand all the feelings we are experiencing. 

My fingernails have  nearly all broken halfway down, but are already growing back. I thought I had managed to keep hold of my toe nails but I tripped up the stairs, caught my big toe and the nail cracked and fell off. Not particularly attractive now when I wear my sparkly sandals! 

Im also exercising daily and trying to eat as healthily as I can. I have had just  had an indulgent weekend as I had family staying so it's back on the straight and narrow from today! It's a question of getting the balance right and enjoying life but doing everything possible to reduce recurrence odds.

Good luck with your op this week Sissy. My second mx was less traumatic than the first and less sore as they didn't take any nodes out. I'll. It will be good to get it over with.

i hope everyone else is ok,

claire xxx

Community Champion

Sissy, I hope your pre-op went well and you're all set for Thursday - sending you loads of love and good luck for a speedy recovery afterwards Smiley Happy  I definately have times when I feel like you do about re-occurance and whether they've managed to zap any stray cells.  I was pretty shocked when my oncologist wanted me to take bisphosphates daily to guard against re-occurance in the bones - it brought back to me the seriousness of it all, but I guess I have to be thankful there are things I can take to help, and the majority of the time, I don't really think about it. I did send a request to join the facebook group, but nothing came of it, which is probably for the best.  I'm on Facebook alot of the time and I try to use it as a positive thing - seeing photos and comments that make me laugh or smile - anyone who posts negative things all the time gets hidden!! So for me the best place to come for support is on here, plus I like to catch up with you guys to see how you're all getting on - I see you all as friends after what we've all gone through and the amazing support we gave each other.  Plus I want to continue to support you all during our shaky times too! (Hope that makes sense!)

I think my hair must be the same length as your Mechele!  I love the feel of it, but like you, wish it would speed up growing!  I'm desperate to get it coloured and ditch the wig!!  

2 of my nails have split and peeled off to about 1/3 the way down now.  I'm surprised how much this didn't hurt!! I'm quite squeamish about my nails, but it hasn't been as bad as I imagined.  My eyebrows are back - could do with having them neatened up now, and my eyelashes are definately thickening up now too Smiley Happy

I bought a Nutribullet the other day and I'm blasting spinach, bananas and various other fruits to boost my vitamin intake which hopfully will work wonders on my energy levels and hair and nail growth!!  Keeping up with my daily walking and I'm hoping to start yoga again in an attempt to reduce the stiffness and aches and pains the Anastrozole is causing!!

Off to Cardiff tomorrow with my son to see if the house he's renting with friends for the next year has been cleaned to a decent standard and the window that he opened last week (when he was supposed to move in) and fell out into the street below has been replaced - luckily it didn't land on anyone!!  I have a feeling we're going to be disappointed! 

Hope you've all had a good weekend Smiley Happy

xxx

Hi everyone, such a glorious day and so good to see the sun shining, doors open etc.

Hope everyone doing ok and having a good weekend.

Claire, hope you've had an excellent weekend with the family over, despite lots of cooking, seeing the photo, your hair is looking good - certainly been worth 'cold capping' for you. Just wish mine would speed up a bit , it's about 1.1/2 cms now !!!! 

Sending best wishes to everyone , Mechele x

Hi Sissy, just thinking about you and hope all went well with your pre op - sure it will have done. I'm sorry you're feeling so worried and anxious , I'm sure like others have said, that we all have some degree of the worry of the future - a lot of negative comments can certainly have an impact on us. Hopefully you may feel more positive after your surgery. 

Sending best wishes and hugs

Love Mechele. X X 

Hi sissy. Hope your appt went well. We have to find a way of dealing with the anxiety and it sounds as though you need someone to talk to. Could you access some counselling? I would think hubbie is clinging to what the professionals say because it's how he can deal with it. They are the ones who know what they're doing but I'm sure we all wonder if they have got it wrong sometimes. I would think it's harder for you to really move forward when you have more surgery ahead of you. At my last onc appt I asked whether it was really necessary for me to take tomoxifen because I want to get back to how I was before bc and I don't like the thought of taking it for the next 10 years. He said that I have to accept that this is the new normal for me. I expect we are all now trying to accept our new normal. Don't give yourself a hard time over feeling how you do. Ellie gave some good advice...and get help if you need it to manage your anxiety. Love and hugs. Elizabeth x

Community Champion

It is easier when you are busy and distracted  from it, but I am also trying to live by the philosophy  that I feel really well right now, I don't know what the future may hold, but I should enjoy every good day I have. 

Dr M copied me onto her letter after my appointment on Mobday and it was really positive saying I looked really well and there were " no clinical signs of recurrence" I'm going to try to think of that when I have a wobble!

i hope everyone else is doing ok. It's good to have this to come to when we need to touch base with others who really understand.

ive got the in laws staying this weekend do lots of cooking!

enjoy the warm weather,

claire xxx

Thank you Ellie and Claire for your replies. When I'm at work or busy out doing things I'm a lot better. Last night I went out and had some fun and didn't think about aches and pains at all. I think once I have the pre op done tomorrow I'll feel better about things.

Ellie, It's interesting what you said about doing what we can to prevent it coming back. I'm starting back with exercise again as I need to get my fitness back on track for work, and I'm continuing to eat the fruit and veg etc. Next weeks mx will reduce the chance of it returning in my remaining breast and then next year I'll probably have my ovaries removed.

My husband keeps saying that I need to just trust what the Bcn, oncologist and surgeon have told me. whenever I've asked them they just say that all cancer was removed during my first mx and ANC, that the pet/ct showed no rogue cells or spread, that the chemo and rads was belt and braces, and that as far as they're concerned all the cancer has gone.

I'm strangely looking forward to my second mx as I'm fed up with being lop sided, I'm worried that something will go wrong in my pre op and I won't be able to have the op.

You're the only people who really understand these feelings xx

Hi Sissy,

i certainly have moments like that! I don't think we would be human if we didn't. I have stayed away from things on the internet that pull me down! It's very easy to find them! We have a cancer support group at work but the leader told me not to come - I was doing so well that I would come off worse if I mixed with that group!! 

I like to to think I am a strong person but when the breast surgeon said I was okay yesterday I cried!  It was obviously on my mind more than I would admit. 

Sissy I think your anxiety is all connected to it coming back? These thoughts might not help at all, but if one helps a little bit I will be glad!

What can you do to reduce the chances? Personally I could lose weight and take more exercise but the rest of my lifestyle is pretty good eg loads of fruit and veg, no smoking.... Can you throw your energy into something positive? I have one friend who decided raw food was the way forward for her and threw everything at doing that. Drove her family mad but it was positive energy! 

If if you can't reduce the chances then does worrying do any good? It is good if it makes you turn up for check ups! 

Share your worries. Talk to a counsellor or a friend. Sometimes a partner is too close and also desperately worried about you. Your gp should be able to help. I give myself good advice all the time and sometimes it helps and some times I'm too worried to take it! 

Do you believe in God? I know some people find it a help when they are pushed beyond their limits to take it to the Lord in prayer. Sometimes that can bring peace. 

I wish I could do something to help but I know in my moments when I haven't thought I could cope just knowing there are people on this site who understand and send sympathy has really helped. 

I hope you find something that works for youso you can start enjoying things again. Lots of love. 

Community Champion

Hi Sissy, I think we can all relate to what you are saying and coping with the fear of it returning is going to be so hard for us all. I'm in a fb group too ( the same as you I think) and every time I read about someone with secondaries it lowers my mood and makes me very anxious. I am thinking about leaving the group so it doesn't come up on my news feed. I keep thinking if it has happened to these other people then it might happen to me too.
I'm hoping the moving forward course will help too.
On a positive note we are all getting better everyday and I certainly feel really really well.
Good luck with your next op. That can't help the anxiety either.
This is the place to find others who understand. It's difficult for family members to really get it.
Lots of love
Claire xxx

Hello all, sorry I haven't checked in for a while, have been busy back at work trying to get back to my new normal and spent a week in Spain on a family holiday. I see a few of you have also had a holiday, very much needed after what we've all been through!

Five of my fingernails have broken so far, though there's new nail coming through underneath, eyebrows are back and my eyelashes are growing really well, my head hear has thickened and is no longer patchy so I've now started to go out without wearing a scarf, a bit daunting at first, but now I'm used to it!

I was doing well with being positive for my future prognosis, however last week there was some sad news on one of the FB forums I'm on, which has lowered my mood and positivity and my anxiety has increased. I'm now hyper aware of every ache and pain and keep imagining the worst, so much so that I'm now worried to have my bloods taken tomorrow at my pre-op for my mx next Thursday. A lot of my worry also stems from the time when one of my liver bloods were high after I was admitted to hospital after my first docetaxel, even though all bloods were fine for the remaining two treatments and the oncologist said that the high reading would have been my body reacting to the chemicals and that she wasn't concerned, also the liver u/s was clear, I can't help but wonder what if they're wrong. Sorry to be so negative, my husband is losing his patience with my anxiety over it all. I've had a chat with the Bcn and she says its normal to worry like this and that nothing I've told her gives her cause for concern, however I feel as if I'm driving myself mad and the thought of worrying like this forever is draining.

How are you all coping with the moving on? Sorry again to be so depressing xx

I see the breast surgeon on Wednesday and then the oncologist in September. Bit worried I am still so out of breath it stops me doing things but probably still getting better. I tried some decorating this week - first time this year I have felt motivated!  

Thanks fir for the good wishes about my work situation folks. I am writing applications but don't really want to leave! I am sure it will all work out in the end. 

Ellie. 

Community Champion

Sorry to hear you have to take more medication Kim, but as you say, if it stops the damn thing from returning it's worth it!

my nails have nearly all broken off too, but they are already growing back and quite honestly Im not that bothered about my nails. I'm really happy to have eyelashes again and love being able to use mascara!

I hope everyone else's follow up appointments go ok. I've got surgeon in September and the onc said she or him will see me every three months for two years, then it will be six monthly until I'm signed off completely. Fingers crossed that's what happens! I will also be referred to the plastic surgeon and hopefully have reconstruction next summer.

claire xx

Community Champion

Hi! Had my follow up appointment with my oncologist today too - the main one who is lovely and knows her stuff!!!
She's happy my aches and pains and general stiffness of the joints are Anastrozole related not anything sinister and as I can manage them without any pain relief generally all's good! On the less good side, the recommended treatment when on Anastrozole is also to take a daily Bisphosphonate (If you're on Tamoxifen then that protects your bones from pesky rogue cancer cells anyway) so she's writing to check that my kidney specialist says it's OK. I've been prescribed a weekly one which is for the effects of osteoporosis but doesn't protect against bone cancer (wasn't aware this could be an issue until today, but I'll take anything to help protect myself from anything returning!!). The pain is that apart from the dodgy side effects (irritating my asophocus - how ever that's spelt!, attacking my jaw and affecting my kidney function) you have to take it first thing in the morning, with a large glass of water and stay sat upright for 30 mins before being allowed to eat or drink anything else and then you can lie down again! I was just coping with doing this in a Sunday, but daily is going to take some planning as my husband has got in the very good habit of waking me by bringing me breakfast in bed every morning - a plus side of having chemotherapy for all those months!
Makes the fact one of my nails split and broke off a 1/4 way down pale into insignificance! I guess I'll get used to it 😕
I'm not brave enough to ditch the wig yet, although I'm happy that my hair is growing back well. Will wait until I can dye it before I do. I don't wear it around the house and garden, and don't worry about answering the door without it 😊 I'm happy in my wig, which I never thought I would be!
Pleased all went well with you today Claire, I have a phone consultation with my oncologist in 4-6 weeks once she's chatted to the kidney specialist to sort out my new tablets, then I see her again in 12 mths time. Was surprised because I assumed I'd be signed off from oncology (don't know why) and just have appointments with the surgeon and yearly mammograms ...
It's great to hear from you all still 😊 Sorry if I've rambled on!!
Take care xxx
Community Champion

Hi Everyone, good to hear from you Fiona. I hope the rads go smoothly. Don't worry too much about the hip and back pain. I have had the same forages ( long before bc) it's arthritis and was prob due to years of riding and skiing! I'm sure yours will be ok too.
Had my first post treatment follow up with the lovely onc today. All good and she said.l I look really well and I have a very good prognosis! She even said that as my hair is thick and strong I can dye it and even go blonde again!!! I don't have to see her till December now.
Big relief. I was nervous about seeing her and walking back into the hospital brought it all back!
Love and hugs to all
Claire xxx

Hi everyone , good to hear from you Fiona and hope rads progress uneventfully. Good re just arthritis ( presumably osteo ). 

Claire - look forward to hear your review went well.

Debbie - wonder if you too have braved being without your wig. My two are in the cupboard for now, however, think I may take then on hols for evenings when out for dinner, but may be too hot and won't bother !! 

Hope everyone else ok, and work situation settles for you Ellie 

love and best wishes to all, Mechele.

Ps - having a restful day today. Yesterday, had my sons little boy aged 2 and my daughters little girl aged 2.1/2. Although they play well together, oh boy, wish I had their energy for sure. They left at 7pm, having had tea, bathed and in pjs ready to go straight to bed - ha I too felt like going straight to bed too 😂

Dear Ellie

I am really sorry to hear that you're having a tough time at work. I have been fortunate to able to work from home quite a bit, but when I do go in the office, it does feel a bit different, when you haven't been around for quite a while...so I understand what you mean, I think we must be less resilient.

No matter how many nice supportive people there are around you it only takes one person to make you feel less confident and miserable. I think that's why I got into a whirlwind of worry over my tablets. I think we have been through enough without people being awkward or nasty, I am sure others will see what is happening at work and be supportive to you. I hope things improve for you soon xxxxx

From Cassy x

Managed to post the same thing twice - out of practice!

Morning all.  I've been off for a while, had a lovely holiday in Tenerife, and have started radiotherapy.  I have to have four weeks of treatment, and have only just started.  Ellie I'm so very sorry to hear about your work situation.  It sounds awful.  I hope you can find a way to handle it.  I think I would just want to leave if it didn't get better quickly.  I haven't got much patience any more and only want to have positive experiences!

Lovely picture Cassy.  Nice to hear that everyone seems to be recovering well.  Hope the lymphoedema is under control in this hot weather.

I still ill have pain in my hips and back.  I'm still worrying that I've got bone mets but don't see the Dr again until 18th August.  On the phone they said my X Ray showed arthritis so hopefully that's all it is. Never thought I'd be pleased to get arthritis!

lots of love to you all. X