Community Champion

Re: January 2016 Chemo starters

Hi Elizabeth, I found it made my joints stiff and I was achey but I honestly don't really think about it much now. I think the fact that I walk regularly even if it's just the 10 min walk to school and back, has helped relieve the side effects. Hope it suits you better too Smiley Happy xxx

It Classy you look great.  Good to hear that you've been skiing again Clair.  I'm feeling really well now and I am just now starting to look to the future.  I finally finished herceptin a couple of weeks ago and now had the port removed.  I just want to get my other boob evened up and then I can draw a huge line over this period.  I have  gone through a very bad period since about November, I was tired, achy and weepy ALL the time which really isn't like me.  I had a light bulb moment in February and realised i have felt like this since taking tamoxifen.  I saw my onc and he told me to stop taking it.  I felt 100% better after a week and I now feel like I used to.  The onc has prescribed Anastrozole but I haven't started taking it yet because I feel a bit wary of it.  I think I will start this week but if i find SEs too much I am going to stop taking it. I would rather take the risk and have a quality of life.  Those of you who are on it how are you managing with hormone therapy?

elizabeth xx

Classy you look great.  Good to hear that you've been skiing again Clair.  I'm feeling really well now and I am just now starting to look to the future.  I finally finished herceptin a couple of weeks ago and now had the port removed.  I just want to get my other boob evened up and then I can draw a huge line over this period.  I have  gone through a very bad period since about November, I was tired, achy and weepy ALL the time which really isn't like me.  I had a light bulb moment in February and realised i have felt like this since taking tamoxifen.  I saw my onc and he told me to stop taking it.  I felt 100% better after a week and I now feel like I used to.  The onc has prescribed Anastrozole but I haven't started taking it yet because I feel a bit wary of it.  I think I will start this week but if i find SEs too much I am going to stop taking it. I would rather take the risk and have a quality of life.  Those of you who are on it how are you managing with hormone therapy?

elizabeth xx

Community Champion

Hi Cassy and Claire, great to hear from you both!
I often look back and can't believe it's a year ago we were all suffering so badly. I'm doing well (I'm assuming!) Haven't seen an oncologist since June (I think) and my last appointment was rearranged from last week until 24 April. I was annoyed because I just wanted to go over a few niggles to set my mind at rest. I did go and see my GP though, and she's been great. It's mainly my achey hips which we're sure is an Anastrozole side effect but don't want to be missing something important! So I've had a blood test as a marker (how that works, I don't know) and I'm happier about that.
I've been walking loads more than I ever did, joined a running club to do their walk to run program which I have loved doing and started back at yoga which I'm sure helps with the Anastrozole aches and pains.
I'm doing the Race for Life in May - I really want to run it, but we'll see!
Wanted to post a photo but I can't seem to do it in my phone :/ My hair is back to how I have it 8 years ago before I started to grow it and I'm really happy to keep it that way now. If I had t lost it all, I don't think I would have been brave enough to go short again. It is dyed though - I just wasn't ready to be grey.
Have the best Easter everyone!!
Loads of love ❤️
Kim xxx
Community Champion

Hi Cassy, 

good to hear from you and see you looking so well. Your hair looks great! Like you when I think back to this time last year and the side effects of the dreaded T I can hardly believe how far I've come! Wouldn't want to go back there!! 

Im fine. I've just been skiing and managed to ski all day everyday. It was one of the things I wanted to prove to myself I could still do post BC. It was great! 

I still struggle with the fear of it coming back. I couldn't bear to think of everything coming crashing down agsin, but at the moment life is good and I'm making the most of it! 

I hope everyone else is well. It's good to hear from other Jan 16 starters! 

Couldnt have got through it without you lovely ladies!

have a fab Easter everyone,

love

claire xxx

Hi everyone

Just thought I would drop in to say 'hello'.  I hope everyone is well and getting on with everything. 

It seems a little weird to think how we all were this time last year...

I seem to keep getting chest infections and have had cellulitis in my affected breast, although the cellulitis has cleared up now.

Hair is growing, a little wavier than it used to be and I have stuck with the grey Smiley Happy

Love from Cassy xxx

CB.jpg

Hi I thought I would stop by as I haven't looked in for a while.  I am feeling much better, still get really tired and I'm on a shorter fuse than I used to be but am improving all the time.  I've been back to hospital quite a few times to have things checked as I'm quite paranoid but everything's been fine.  I have developed quite painful sciatica which bothers me so I'm trying to exercise and stretch more.  Hope you are all doing well!  X

Community Champion

[ Edited ]

Hi Mechele, I had one of ten nodes positive. I haven't had a full MRI. No scans in the pipeline for bc but I am having a CT of my stomach area to check to see if it's suitable for recon. I will be a bit nervous in case they find anything nasty. I don't think the Worry will ever go away completely. 

Sorry to hear about your friend Kim. I'm sure you will be a great support.

love to all,

claire xxxx

Community Champion

Hi Mechele,
I had 2/9 nodes positive and was told beforehand (when the biopsy had found one was) that if there was 9 or over positive (I think it was 9!) then I would need a MRI scan to check that it hadn't spread further.
I have a friend who has now been diagnosed and having a double masectomy in the next few weeks - such a shock even though I know how common it is. I don't know if she'll need chemotherapy, but I'm guessing if she needs a double masectomy, then she will 😕 Awful time for her - as we all know too well!
Loads of love to you all xxx

Hi everyone , hope all doing ok and getting back to some form of normal life after such an eventful year. Just wondering - how many of you that had positive nodes plus BC had a full MRI done ? I didn't , but understand a lot did ??? Wishing well to all , with best wishes Mechele X X 

Community Champion

Mine was Telford too but I think different consultants have different ways of doing things. My sister in law is with Telford too and the way her consultant did things was different to mine (she's not had her first mammogram yet, just other things)
Obviously I don't actually know, but maybe if there was something suspicious they'd have asked to see her sooner? Thinking of when I had my follow up appointments after the mammogram that found the cancer....
I have everything crossed for you both that it comes back normal xxx

Thanks for the replies. When my mum had her mammogram last week in Telford she was told to make an appointment with the consultant for the results in two weeks this is making me wonder if something was seen?
She's had 2 wle lymph node clearance, chemo rads and has 6 more herceptin to go and is doing great.
Community Champion

Hi Wales88, I received my results by letter about 2 weeks after my mammogram too. Personally signed by my consultant which impressed me!!
I hope your mum is doing well 😊 The support I had from my daughter and son really helped me too (and my husband) I'm sure you've done a brilliant job too 😊
Kim xx

Hi Wales88 - I received my result of first mammogram by post about 2 weeks after having it done. Do hope your mum is doing ok and I'm sure you've been a brilliant support to her . X X 

Community Champion

Hi can't comment as had double mx so no mammograms for me. I'm sure. One of the others will be along soon though. I hope your mum is doing well. My two sons were amazing when I was going through treatment and I couldn't have done it without them!
Claire xx

Hi I'm not Sure if I'm posting on the right thread as it's my first post. I've been following a lot of your stories this last year wich has helped so much in supporting my mum through treatment. I am just wondering how those of you who have had your first year mammos received your results? Is itby letter or appoitnment?

Aww bless you
No problem sweetie!! Xxx
Community Champion

Hi Tina, this might seem daft, but I'm keeping mine as a kind of insurance policy of never needing them again!!
Xx

Hi again
Anyone got any old scarves they dont need any more? Pls message me xxx

Hi ladies
Im looking for donations of your lovey headwear. Anyone who can help please inbox me xx