Community Champion

Re: January 2016 Chemo starters

Hi everyone, it's nice to hear that we are all doing ok after last years life changing experience! Sorry to hear about the cellulitis Kim. I'm very careless with my lymph clearance side so that's made me think I should be a bit more sensible!

Life is good for me. I'm loving my new house and being back at work but best of all is having my horse and riding three or more times  a week. I absolutely love it and all the work with my horse ( and the two Shetlands I have also acquired) keeps me fit! 

Im also really pleased that my hair is just about long enough for a really short ponytail! The cold cap torture was worth it! I look in the mirror now and see ME not a breast cancer patient! 

My next big challenge is reconstruction. I'm supposed to be having it in July but I'm very nervous as it means a long time not being able to ride and function normally. I'm not good at being vulnerable and I like the fact I feel so fit and well right now. It's something I do want but it will not be easy to be a patient again. At least it's my choice this time! 

I do think of all of you lovely ladies on this thread who supported me through chemo last year. It was so so hard. I'm a stronger and better person as a result but I never ever want to go through that again!

love to you all,

claire xxxxx

Community Champion

Thanks Cassy, I was thinking that having spare antibiotics would be a good thing especially if I go abroad. It's nearly cleared up now except for a tender lump at the top of my arm which I'm guessing might have been an insect bite which maybe caused it. Hopefully it'll improve quickly and I can wear my compression sleeve soon to get the rest of my arm back to normal size!
Hope you are well 😊 Xxx

Hi Kim

I have had cellulitis in my affected boob a couple of times, it usually gets swollen and hot. I have a spare lot of antibiotics prescribed just in case it comes back again. The antibiotics are are pain to take, and the side effects aren't great either! I was told that because of the lymph node clearance of my affected side that there will be more of a chance of having infections etc. My consultant said to try not to touch it (unless in the shower etc.) as we constantly have germs on our hands and infections can penetrate the skin with the tiniest scratch. Also, to moisturise with E45 cream or similar to keep the skin from feeling itchy, especially when there is swelling. Hope things improve for you soon. 

Love from Cassy xxx

Ow Kim! So sorry to hear that. When the doctor told me about a "new normal" she wasn't joking was she?! I guess I am still learning to cope with the new way of living. And lots of the time life is great, but if I had realisd all the implications I am starting to wonder whether I would have gone through with all the treatment! 

Community Champion

Hi 😊
Well I had been really pleased with how everything was going then last Sunday developed cellulitis in my lymphodema arm and I'm on a double course of antibiotics. It's improving but I'm annoyed mainly because as I can't wear my compression sleeve, my arm has swollen up again. I was doing so well too!! No idea how I got cellulitis. I know it's a complication you have to look out for and treat quickly when you have lymphodema but I'm at a loss as to how to prevent it happening again :/
Hopefully it'll. e all back to normal in a week or two tho Smiley Happy
Great to hear from you both, hope everyone else is doing well 😊 Xxx

All well here. I have been getting headaches that were getting worse and worse. I suddenly remembered that once before when I got headaches I cut out coffee and that stopped them. That was after I had convinced myself I had secondary cancer of the brain! I have had 3 days with no coffee and no headaches!! 

I too feel like I have a lot to look forward to! x

I went for my first mammogram last week.  Amazing that it's been a year since my surgery, the time seems to have passed so quickly.  I'm starting to feel much better.  Still a bit achy and more tired than I used to be, but definitely much better.  I had a lovely holiday in April with all the family, and am going to Portugal for a yoga retreat week with my sister in July.ad it's just so nice to have things to look forward to.  Hope everyone is doing well.  I still think of you all often and wonder how everyone is getting on.  Although I've been really busy and am feeling well, I do still think about cancer every day, and worry about recurrence, so I've been letting go of negative thoughts with lots of meditation and stuff.  It's pretty effective, life goes on!   Love to all, Fiona xx

Cassie I had a really bad run of colds until I took vitamin D - for me it was like a miracle cure! I stayed out of the sun last year so it makes sense. 

Such a super photo of you Cassy - and wow , signing up for 'Race for Life' , it really doesn't matter if you walk/ run - well done you . Everyone's 'fitness ' regimes puts me to shame at present, but hopefully after my op I will start to feel better and with more energy. It's lovely to hear how everyone is doing and send love and best wishes to all . Happy Easter everyone - wet here !!! , could do with some sun . 

Mechele x X 

[ Edited ]

Well, hello everyone! I decided to sign in and see if anyone has seen my message and low and behold messages! It is lovely to catch up and read how everyone is getting on, it has really made me smile...except for your message Mechele. I am so sorry to hear that once again you have had to go into hospital, I hope that things start to get better for you and that your surgery and recovery goes well.

I am taking Tamoxifen, I don't think it is really having any noticeable affect on me to be honest. Most of the time I feel pretty 'normal' but then I pick up an illness and wham, it knocks me for six! 

I too have signed up for 'Race for Life' (in Eastbourne in June). I am very overweight and have rubbish knees so I won't be running it, at best walking fast with a touch of jogging if I am lucky! I have bought a 'Breast Cancer Care' T-shirt to wear instead of buying a cancer research one.

I realise that it may sound silly, as I have never actually met any of you, but it is so good to see the messages on this thread and see how we are all doing despite our past shared experiences. Thank you all!

Love from Cassy xxx

Mechelle I don't believe your bad luck! Good luck with the op - hope you feel much better afterwards.  

So sorry to hear about that Mechele.  Sending you love and hugs.  Xxx

Community Champion

Ah Mechele - sorry to hear that!! Hope you're all fixed soon and recover quickly xxx

Seems to have appeared now so will try again ! 

What a super photo Cassy and you're looking really well and hair growing . Mine is still quite short and the very tight curls after all the years of such straight hair, is taking some getting used to - not really complaining tho after no hair at all for so long.

Pleased to hear everyone seems to be doing ok - albeit some awaiting more surgery or having a few little problems - sending best wishes to all and thanks for the support over such a difficult year for us all. Apart from some problems with the dreaded Letrozole , some brands being awfull , a case of just acceptance and moving on. Nov/ Dec I started feeling unwell and so tired - felt something not right but didn't know what - you can imagine what went through my mind !!!! Briefly, it has been found that my left kidney is barely functioning and the ureter from kidney to bladder is blocked. Under Urology ( initially referred due to frequent UTI's , on the last one , passing what looked like Rose wine !! Had a severe kidney infection 2 weeks ago , husband thinking I'd got sepsis again and tel 999 - 5 nights in hospital . Due to have kidney and ureter removed I a few weeks and depending if open surgery , another 7-10 days stay. Fortunately NOT cancer related, so very pleased about that. Hopefully after the surgery, I will be able to 'move on'. Not happy about having to cancel our June holiday again, like last year , but could be worse.

Sending love and best wishes to all

Mechele X X X 

Have posted X 2 and for some strange reason didn't appear - hence a 'test' post !

Hi Elizabeth. Glad you worked out the effect Tamoxifen was having. I am on Anastrazole  and on the whole it is okay. I am sure the effects are different for everyone but here is what I have been experiencing:

hot flushes. I have a "chill ow" and find that combined with taking off a jumper / opening a window make things bearable. 

I am bruising easily, but am coping with that

aches and pains. Not coping so well with those! 

But it could stop the cancer coming back so I'm still going with it for the time being! 

Lovely picture Cassie! Good to see you looking so well. On the whole I agree with Claire and life is good! At other times I am getting very frustrated with the side effects of treatment, off to London to a matinee (fatigue prevents evenings!) today and going away to Suffolk for the weekend and it feels brilliant to be getting out there again. 

Community Champion

I'm on Anastrozole, coming up to 8 weeks on it. Apart from one morning 10 days ago when i had the most alarming painful spasms in my back muscles - sorted it within a couple of hours by 2 Iboprofin - no noticable side effects at all but I appreciate it is early days. I'm doing stretching exercises and the BCC exercise DVD and lots of walking. I've got pre-exisiting arthritis in both hips but not severe, and that hasn't changed as yet either. I'd give it a go and see how you get on - not everyone suffers badly I understand, though some do of course. Good luck. xxx

Well done Kim with your fitness regime

🏃‍♀️ Elizabeth

Community Champion

I'm on Anastrozole!