cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

January 2016 Chemo starters

Re: January 2016 Chemo starters

Debbie, my remaining breast is a 34gg. I just bought cheap vests from primark, they didn't have built in support, but then I wasn't concerned about being unsupported as I stayed in the house for the first 10 days. I'm still wearing non wired bras now from m&s, it isn't a specific bra for post surgery, however it's full cupped so holds the prosthetic in well. I was going to buy some other bras but as I'm having the second mx in August I didn't think there was much point!

After the operation I spent the night in hospital and had my drains removed before being discharged, which made things a lot easier. On day 5 I was able to sit in a shallow bath and wash the bottom half of me, the top half had to be done over the sink with a flannel. I think a shower was day 10 onwards. Also, invest in a v pillow if you don't already have one, I found mine helped a lot with getting comfy xx

Hi Sissy and Kim,
Did you wear the stappy tops with built in support? Just I'm a 34E and I keep wondering how I'm going to support my remaining boob until I can wear a bra?!!!
Well done Sissy on going into work and loosing a bit weight, I can't wait to loose some and get back to excercising. I'm not sure about eyebrow tinting, mine are really fair too!! My head hair seems to be growing quite well, I've got a good covering of baby hair now.
Debbie xx
Community Champion

I took in front buttoning pyjamas but stayed in the hospital gown all week!! I had a drains and carried them around in an NHS pillowcase all week. I also wore shoe string vest tops until I felt comfortable enough to wear a bra, the bras I wear now are the M&S super soft surgery bras which you don't have to pay VAT on so work out quite cheap.
Sissy, well done for getting through your first shift at work! I'm dropping in to school tomorrow lunchtime for a catch up but really looking forward to starting back after radiotherapy finishes.
Xxx

Hi Kim, I'm going to stay in until Monday, hopefully my drains will be out by then. I don't really want to come home with my drain in as the kids might knock it and not very nice for them to see! When you were in hospital did you just stay in bed clothes all week? I'm trying to work out what clothes to take? I've bought a couple of nighties with buttons all the way down. Xx

Hi all, I went back to work today, managed to get through my three hours. It was for a late shift that didn't start until 3pm so I was able to take my time getting ready. My healthy eating and regular walks are paying off, lost 2Ibs last week, which motivated me to go out for a walk along the seafront this morning.

I'm still suffering from tiredness and tingling fingers and feet. I took of the polish on my fingers this morning and noticed that a couple of the nails on one of my hands look to be purple and bruised underneath. I really hope they don't fall off. What is everyone's thoughts on eyebrow tinting? My brows are still in place, but have thinned a lot and are really fair. Do you think it's too early to have them tinted? I'd have a sensitivity test done first just in case.

Debbie, good luck for your mx. Make sure you get some nightwear that buttons up at the front and also some tops that button up for a couple of weeks after. I wore tight fitting shoe string strap vests instead of bras for a week or so after as well. It took me a good few days before I'd look at my mx scar. I had the nurses, my sister or my husband help wash me so that I didn't have to look. I think a week after my op I was on my own and had a proper look, it just looked strange being so flat next to my remaining breast. Because I had an ANC as well I wasn't prepared for the numbness and lack of sensation. It's been 6 months now and I'm quite used to it, though the scar is still in the process of flattening out. I wasn't in too much pain after the operation and managed to get by on paracetamol and ibuprofen xx
Community Champion

Hi Debbie, good luck on Thursday, hope it all goes well Smiley Happy
I had immediate reconstruction, so I was in hospital for the week and came out with a drain, so couldn't shower for 3 weeks until that was removed. But survived by using baby wipes and shallow baths. I healed really quickly and my scar is very neat. I don't mind it at all, although I was very nervous looking at myself for the first time.
Are you having day surgery or in for longer? Xxx

Hi all,
I'm day 25 and I'm still tired with heavy legs!! My eyes and mouth are a lot better but my nose still sore. I do feel a little better each day but then I'm getting hit with surgery on Thursday. Any tips please, I'm feeling really nervous, I know it's only natural, just wish it was over. I've got loads to do before I go on, it's hard leaving husband and 3 kids to themselves, when they are used to me being there to sort things!! I'm dreading seeing my scar from mastectomy, how did everyone else feel? How soon can you shower after?
Hope everyone is doing ok. Fiona and Elizabeth hope side effects aren't too bad for you.
Who is the first to start rads?
Debbie xx
Community Champion

Hi! Well day 14 like Claire and have taken my last antibiotic so I've officially finished all my chemotherapy related medication!! The side effects I still have that are bothering me are the horrible taste in my mouth, streaming eyes and tender finger nails although they're not painful. Since having the T cycles, I had never fully recovered before having the next dose like I did with FEC, but because of taking steroids the day before, I was always energetic on the Monday. Also my lymphoedema is always at its worst this week and goes down a few days after the next dose and I wondered if the steroids helped with that. Also my chemo arm is usually at its most painful and stiff at this point too.
I have been taking advantage of the good weather and been out for walks everyday and I think that has helped with my heavy legs and also my mental state!
Think it's going to be a few weeks until we notice a real difference - I'm just hoping the hormone medication doesn't set me back once I start that!!
xxx

Claire, let us know how you get on tomorrow and what they say! 

Community Champion

Hi Ellie, I'm finding this last one harder to bounce back from than before. I'm day 14 and for the first time have heavy legs and numb feet. I'm more tired than I have ever been. It's so annoying as I just want to get back to normal but I suppose we have to give it time. Mentally I feel good which is a relief as I got really down after number five. 

If you do continue to feel bad I would give the hospital a ring. I'm in tomorrow to have my port removed and I'm going to mention how tired I am. I know  the effects are cumulative and I guess six doses of poison takes its toll!

At least no more! 

I hope everyone is ok

lve 

claire xx

Ok ladies... Day 21 and my legs are still not doing what I tell them, ankles still swelling and still feels like needles going through my nails! Shouldn't it all be better by now?!

Community Champion

Great about your hair Elizabeth! You must feel great! My cold cap hair is very thin and I am going to get it trimmed a bit on Wednesday which I hope will make it look better. Interesting about the dye. I think I will leave mine a few more weeks and try that myself. I can't bear to be grey and my new hair definitely is! I didn't have much grey before this so that's another thing to thank cancer for!!
Have a great weekend everyone!
Claire xxx

It's lovely to read the positivity, it's good to be making plans. Fiona and Debbie, I hope you feel that you've moved forward even though you have the surgery to come. I had number 7 this week but I'm now going to count down 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. I'm feeling a bit dodgy today but I had a great day yesterday. Had my hair cut and dyed. Used Daniel field which is organic and vegetable based. I saw myself transformed in front of the mirror....hair coloured beautifully, made the condition look so much better too. With my slap on I look more like my old self. Hubby kept telling me how good I looked which was nice. I'm glad I persevered with the cold cap now.    Wishing you all minimum SEs over weekend.

Elizabeth 💋

Morning all,

Well done Fiona, it's such a good feeling when you get to the end! Debbie, I'm also suffering still with the heavy legs and watering eyes, the eyes seem to be worse in the morning. I still have some lashes left at the moment, approx 10 on each eye so I still am able to put some mascara on if I'm heading out. I still have eyebrows, they have thinned and gone really fair, but they're still there and give me a base to work with!

Claire, I'm so pleased you've booked a holiday. Italy will be fabulous. My dad went to Positano a couple of years ago and went on a day trip to Capri, he said it was well worth a visit.

Kim, enjoy your weekend, it's so nice to start feeling more normal! Cassy, I hope your SEs aren't too horrendous. Ellie, I'm glad you're feeling better as well. I'm feeling pretty well apart from the tiredness and my feet feel so sore and achy, and are still tingly from the neuropathy. By now they'd usually be feeling better, so not sure what to do about them! Love to anyone else I've forgotten xx
Community Champion

Congratulations Fiona 🎉🎉🎉 It is such a good feeling isn't it!! I hope the side effects are kind to you Smiley Happy
I had to stop reflexology because my feet were too sore and blistered after first T, but I'm keen to get back to it as I'm sure it helped with the side effects. Looking forward to having Indian head massages too now my hair is growing back (very slowly!) I go to The Haven and still have 6 free sessions to go. I'm off to Bristol later today, my daughter is running the Bristol 10K tomorrow to raise money for The Haven and has raised an amazing £1005! It's going to be emotional I can tell! My husband has gone to Lyon for the weekend to watch the rugby (arranged well before BC hit our lives) My diagnosis and treatment appears to have fitted neatly between the rugby World Cup and this weekend's European rugby! So I have a weekend on
my own and it feels good to be well and independent (although it's the first time I' e bad to make my breakfast in months!!)
Well Elizabeth, we are all cheering you along to the finish line. I will have a look back on this thread and try and work out how many weeks you have left. It's great your side effects aren't too bad on weeklies. We may all reach full fitness at the same time!
Have a lovely weekend everyone
Xxx

Claire I went to Pompeii 2 years ago and it was BRILLIANT! 

Yes i I am getting back to normal. Gradually!! My legs are still a nuiscance - I walked to the chemist yesterday and at one stage had to change direction to miss a car - I thought my legs were going to give way! I didn't want to fall in the middle of the road. Maybe I was going out a bit too soon.

I am very fluffy! Just like everyone else hardly any eyebrows and no eyelashes. I have booked my look good day but I have to wait a few weeks. I only have one more week off before I go back to work now! 

Ellie. 

Community Champion

Great news Fiona. Isn't it nice to think that you don't have to go back and do it all again and start making plans for the future.

the look good feel better is excellent. I was given a fantastic bag of goodies and a make up lesson which was great. I've also had reflexology throughout treatment and I'm sure it's helped with SEs.

im now over the worst of T number three and feel good. I booked a holiday last night for two weeks after rads finish. Maybe a lite rash but I need something to look forward to. We're off to Italy near Pompeii on the Amalfi coast. Both my sons are coming and I can't wait! 

Been busy this week as we have put our house on the market and I have two viewings today so I've been cleaning and tidying! It's nice to feel I can although I do have to pace myself. 

I hope everyone is ok. 

Plots of love

claire xxxx

Morning all my last chemo was the easiest yet.  I was so happy to walk out of there and hope to never return!  After picking up the children from school it was beautiful and sunny so I went to my allotment and planted lots of lettuces for the summer, and a couple of pumpkins for Halloween.

Now I'm just going to take it easy for a week.  I finally have my Look Good Feel Better day on Monday which I'm looking forward too, then I have scans on Tuesday (hate that lying in a tube for over an hour).  On Wednesday I have a Cancer nutrition course at the Maggies centre and on Thursday my weekly reflexology session.  Hopefully by Friday I'll be feeling fine again.

My sister is also coming to stay for the next week to help me get through the difficult days.  Debbie, Ellie hope that you are getting back to normal now.  Classy, we'll be feeling good soon knowing that chemo is behind us is such a good feeling.  Elizabeth I'm now counting down your last few sessions, keep going, I'm in your pocket!

Fiona XX

Congratulations Fiona on your last chemo, woo hoo!!! Hope everything went well today, 1 more set of SE's and that's it over!!!
I'm feeling a bit better every day, still very tired tho and I've got heavy legs too, especially at night. My eyes and nose are constantly running, I have a covering of baby hair, eyebrows and eyelashes are sparse!!!
Hope everyone is doing ok. Big hugs.
Debbie x

Hi Fiona , thinking of you this morning and hope all goes ok - final one 😁 Yehh , despite feeling rough for a while . Hated the dexamethasone - lack of sleep etc etc, but no more for you to take after this . What a great thing having your makeup done, and looked fab I imagine - although trying to visualise the hair 😂. I'm starting to feel so much better, still have heavy legs but trying to increase walking distance. Do believe I now have a little fluff appearing to head , no eyebrows, a few lashes , but they will come. 

Hope everyone else doing ok , sending best wishes , Mechele .

I'm on day 17 after the last T and still waiting to feel better! I feel okay driving now but walking is still a challenge. I am sure it will happen in the next couple of days. Yesterday my eyes went funny, which again has happened in the third week each time. I'm getting so frustrated with not being able to do things! Sorry - winger over!

Community Champion

Ah so I got it wrong, not Ellie then! Sorry!
Loads of good luck for tomorrow Smiley Happy xxx

Sorry Mechele wrong spelling. XX

Hi everyone, it sounds as though it's all going well!  I have my final T in the morning, and have been taking my steroids today.  They have such a strange effect on me, I've spent the evening alternating between crying and ranting at everyone!  Oops, never mind I'm sure they'll get over it!  I had quite a decent week with the side effects final subsiding on about day 17: I went to London, spent a day at work and also got my hair cut and a veg tint put on it.  I just couldn't stand it any more and my hairdresser said it would be fine.  It looked great, just with a very thin around on the top, like an old man's bald patch.  Then I went to Selfridges and got my make up done at Bobbi Brown before going into work.  Everyone said they couldn't believe how well I was looking, and I didn't let on that it had taken me 3 hours to look like that....

I now can't wait to get tomorrow done and will then settle down to wallow on the sofa for a couple of weeks.  Elizabeth hope you are still doing well, we won't be finished until you're through your weeklies, we'll all be cheering you on!  Michele hope your feeling a bit better each day.  XX

Community Champion

Great news Cassy 🎉🎉 Well done 🎉🎉
Last time for side effects, hope they are kind in you 😊
So today I'm definately feeling a lot better. Last I be ruin was yesterday, so no aches and pains today and I'm feeling human again! Still tired and my tongue is still sore and white, but even that feels like it's improved. I'm so looking forward to the day I enjoy a hot cup of tea again!! 4 more days of antibiotics until I'm chemo drug free.
Having got excited about my hair growth, I'm pretty sure it's thinned again but I think that could just be hair that was naturally going to shed anyway and I'm telling myself not to stress over it - bask in feeling well instead! I have considered the Nioxin starter kit, but I think I'll stick to the gentle shampoo I have and see how it goes for now. I'll be interested to see what you think Cassy tho cos I may consider using it a bit later on. I was hoping I'd be wig free with short dyed hair my September for the new school year but I that might be a bit hopeful?!
Ellie - is it your last one tomorrow? If so good luck!
Xxx
Community Champion

Hi everyone, 

i hope all doing well. Well done for reaching the finish line Cassy! I am on day 10 of third T and yesterday the fog lifted and I actually feel well and I know i won't have to do it again!! I got through the SEs by tell g myself it wouldn't last. I am sick of the disgusting  taste in my mouth and no tastebuds though! I have also had a call from the hospital today to come in to have my port removed next Tuesday. Another milestone! Can't wait As it means chemo is really over! 

My new hair is growing well now although it's a lot greyer than I would like! I have a shampoo called grow me that I have started using. I I am going to have to have my thin straggly cold cap hair trimmed as it is in the most horrendous condition. I also intend to dye it with a vegetable dye as soon as I can! 

Kim how are you? I hope you are through the worst as we are both on the same day.

sissy. Mechele. Ellie. Fiona, Debbie and anyone else I hope all is well!

lots  of love

claire xxxx

Hi everyone,

it is nice to see that we are all coming to the end of chemo. I had my last Docetaxel yesterday and had my PICC line removed Smiley Happy I just have the going downhill and SE's to contend with, which usually starts Thursday/Friday.  I really do hate the "T" chemo, let's hope it will be better this time.10 injections to go, I will be counting them down,

I have my Rads planning on Monday and start the treatment on Wed 1st June. So feeling pretty cheerful at the moment. Hair has a downy covering, eyelashes are sparse and stubbly, eyebrows are almost all gone...thank God for Wunderbrow! I have just bought the Nioxin step 2 starter kit to encourage hair growth...has anyone bought tried this already?

Good luck to all who still have chemo coming up and I hope the people who are having surgery soon get through it as well as possible and recover quickly. 

Love to all of you!

from Cassy x

Hello all, how's everyone doing? Claire, Kim, mechelle, are you recovering okay? Debbie and Fiona, I'm glad you've got you're surgery dates, everyone is moving nearer to the finishing post!

I'm just about back to 'normal'. Fingernails, toenails and feet are still sore and tingly, neuropathy I guess. I stubbed one of my toes Saturday night and the pain was awful. Had an appointment at chiropodist today and he thinks the nail on that toe will fall off 😣 . I'm still quite tired, I've been having little naps or rests in bed for a couple of hours each day. It just comes on so suddenly! I've started my healthy eating plan and light exercise regime. Managed a 1.9km walk, was exhausted after, Kim I've got the same app that you do so that I can link it in with my food tracking app. Love to all xx
Community Champion

Hi everyone,

good to see we are all coping with SEs and further treatment options. I am day 7 after last T and definitely feeling better. My mouth is sore, I have no sense of taste and a very dodgy stomach, but aches and pains gone and I have more energy. I have felt as if I am shedding chemo as I shed layers of clothes in this lovely weather and a new me is emerging battered but not beaten! 

It's time to look forward now even though I have everything crossed when I think of the future as I don't want to tempt fate! We have just put our house on the market as we will be moving into the new one we are building in the autumn. I haven't really dared  to think about it all happening up,to now  but I am starting to dream of the future! I am going to buy a new horse over the summer as I had to pull out of buying one when I was diagnosed and life went on hold.  BC makes you feel very vulnerable about what's in store! We are also planning a family holiday for July as both sons will be able to come. The problem is we can't decide where! Warm , nice beach, good food and short flight are  on the wish list! Searching will keep me occupied over the next couple of weeks! 

Stiil can't believe we have all reached or nearly reached the end! I get quite tearful when I think of what we have all coped with. Thanks for coming through it with me everyone. We must keep the thread going as we face rads, surgery and returning to a new normal! 

Feeling a bit reflective tonight! 

Love 

Claire xxx

Community Champion

Oh no Mechele! I had everything crossed that you'd be ok too!! 😨 I guess now you've got that out the way you can feel a lot more positive you're in your way up!!
I won't be able to enjoy a glass of wine until a week tomorrow as I have 10 days of precautionary antibiotics, but I'm soooo looking forward to it!
Xxx

Hi Fiona , good you got date sorted and can plan , can't remember exactly what you are having done ( was it a reduction as well to both ). Not long to your last one and recover. 'The last sting in its tail' so to speak , as was back in hospital over the weekend 😨, had been praying just one of the 6 Tax without a 'last minute.com' holiday, but wasn't to be . Boy , these tax have really wiped me out and legs feel like lumps of lead. The back pain , with spasms was awfull over last few days, ? due to the 5 GCSF , but wearing off now. Looking forward to having my first night out on Saturday at the golf club for a meal, catch up with friends and my first glass of 🍷 since November- at last some normality. 

Hope everyone else are doing ok , best wishes to all , Mechele X  

Community Champion

Hi! Those before photos are a little bizzare aren't they!!
Well it's day 7 post last dose and although I'm pretty achey now, it's been a better day. Took advantage of the lovely morning and was out on a short walk by 9:30 am!! I have the app 'Map my Walk' on my phone, which I really like. Managed nearly 1km which is better than nothing (well only just better than nothing!). It's something to build on this week - keep me inspired! I have been walking further than that while on chemo, but not so close to treatment, and I haven't been going out for walks since FEC!
Only 2 more days of injections to go, so still keeping a close eye on my temperature and trying to drink enough water which I'm definitely finding tough as my mouth tastes awful!!
So I've been looking up foods to encourage hair growth, (especially as I frightened myself reading posts about hairloss while on hormone treatment!) and went online to Holland and Barrett for nuts and seeds to get back to making my own granola (Deliciously Ella recipe - it's amazing!)
When is your last one due Fiona? Think Cassy's is Friday, then we're cheering Elizabeth on with her weeklies to the end Smiley Happy
How are you Claire?
Hope everyone else is doing well too xxx

Hi all I met my plastic surgeon this morning then had some "before" photographs taken.  All very surreal and a bit yucky when they describe the surgery in detail (wouldn't want that job!) but also reassuring that it's all fairly routine for them.  Have got my surgery date, 9th June so now just need to get through the last chemo and side effects.  Not looking forward to that but will be nice to have done it.  Feeling quite well today at last, it seems to take longer to recover each time,  so I'm on my way to London to get a bit of work done....  How is everyone doing? Progress report please, we're nearly there!  Fiona XX

Hi Kim, hope you feeling a little brighter today and yes , the horrible taste isn't good, but hopefully will pass soon. 

Fiona - hope you doing ok and will be great re the reduction and some gorgeous new underwear. I had lumpectomy as my surgeon said I was ample enough ( 34 did/e ) and that a successful outcome was the same as a ms . Will be interesting to see effects of rads on my boob, but if I didn't like the end result, she could do something about it - will wait and see. At this stage, and my age etc, it the last thing I want to think of 

Elizabeth, the 6 wks will fly by, when I think back to 18 wks prior to chemo, seemed endless. In no time we will be reading that you've just had your last one .

Debbie, we will all be thinking of you on the 19th , the leading up to surgery is always the worst. 

Sissy, pleased your planning went ok , have mine on 23/5/. Hope the tattoos don't look like big blackheads 😁

Claire, hope you not feeling too bad and able to enjoy a bit of fresh air. I too often think back to day of diagnosis and it seeming like a bad dream and not me and just want me back. ( plus hair etc ). Now eyelashes on their way, hope I can retain the few I have left. Had last of the 5 GCSF this morning and look forward to these bone pains going, feel like my back is breaking at times. Still coughing, runny nose , but so far so good, if I can get to Tues, think I'll be ok. GP , when I saw her spoke to oncology, who said a case of wait and see and not to prescribe any preventative antibiotics, still not worried either way as out of my control, but feeling hopeful 😊 

To anyone who I may have missed, hope you're doing ok too.

Best wishes to everyone and hope you enjoy this lovely weather , Mechele X X 

Community Champion

Same here Claire - achey, tired, horrible taste in my mouth and generally feeling sorry for myself! Spent a lot of yesterday in bed, then was annoyed with myself because I hadn't drank enough water and was feeling rough! I think I'm on the inevitable low after the high of finishing on Tuesday!
Hope you are OK Mechele! I still have everything crossed that you will be hospital free!!
Have the best weekend you can everyone!
Xxx
Community Champion

Hi everyone, I'm glad the rads planning went ok Sissy and you met some people with positive post bc stories. It all helps us dare to think we can put this behind us and move on! I am in the thick of T SEs right now. Achy, tired and feel pretty yuck but I'm taking it easy and counting the hours till it lifts! I would really like to go and sleep in the sun but I know I've got to be really careful so it's under the umbrella instead. Mechele and Kim how are you both doing? 

I am pleased to say I have definite hair growth now and my thin patches are looking better. I am so impatient to get back to feeling that I look ok but I know it it will take a while. I want the puffy bloated steroid feeling to wear off too. I wonder how long eyelashes and brows take! If only I could wave a magic wand and be back to normal! 

I was reflecting on this whole experience yesterday and I still can't really believe it all happened. I know I'm nor at the end yet but I still feel it's all some kind of horrible dream! Thank goodness I found support here as its been a fantastic outlet for my feelings and fears and has helped so much.

I hope everyone has the best weekend possible

lots of love ,

claire xxx

Hello all,

Had my rads planning today, all quite easy and straightforward. It turns out I had signed some forms as they had them there, couldn't remember when I'd done it though! Had a few tears whilst they were marking me up, not really sure why, however as I was in position they had to keep wiping them away. I think it's because it's now the start of something new and also I get a bit fed up of hospital visits and being poked and prodded.

Anyway, a lady in the waiting area approached me for a chat as she was impressed with me having some eyebrows left. She explained that she's had BC over 10 yrs ago. Then when I was in the car park lift in Canterbury city centre, another lady struck up conversation with me and asked if I was having chemo. She said she'd had bc 8 yrs ago and had chemo, rads and herceptin. It's nice to speak with ladies who have been through treatment and are still here a few years on.

I hope you are all well, Kim and Claire I hope you're coping with the SEs okay. Xx

Hi everyone,
Elizabeth, 6 weeks seens like a long time now, but it will soon be over, you are nearly there. I won't of finished rads by then as I've got surgery next, so I'll still be here!!
I met with my surgeon yesterday and he has recommended mastectomy as my lump was close to my nipple. Chemo has worked well, he didn't actually say what size it is now, I need to ask BCN as I would like to know. I asked him about double mastectomy and he said no, I told him I didn't want to be lopsided and I didn't want reconstruction, it is an option to have other removed later, after I've finished herceptin. I was hoping to have this done after 6 months, but after herceptin will be about 10 months- I just want everything sorted asap so I can get myself back to normal- if there is a normal after all this?!! My operation is Thurs 19th May!!!
Kim, Claire and Mechele I hope you are getting lots of rest and your side effects aren't too bad.
Debbie x

Hello all

It’s been a while since I posted but I have been reading about your progress.  Congratulations to those who have finished.  I hope your side effects are more bearable knowing that you don’t have to go through it again in 3 weeks time.

Yesterday I had number 6 of my 12 weekly taxols.  My side effects are minimum.  I feel fine on day 1 after chemo (that’s today), day 2 and 3 I am tired and have stomach pains, day 4 I feel a bit better, day 5 and 6 I go to work and feel fine and it starts all over again on day 7.  I feel like I am on a treadmill and my life is very boring at the moment.  My nose is runny and I am having a lot of nose bleeds and getting headaches. But I have also had hay fever.  I am much less fit than I was and get more breathless walking upstairs.  I have continued with the cold cap and my hair is doing well.  Still getting thinner but, no bald patches and I don’t look like a cancer patient.  I have very thin eyebrows and eyelashes.  Another 6 weeks feels like a long time – some of you will have finished your rads by the time I finish chemo. 

Look after yourselves and get some sunshine.

Elizabeth x

Ellie I'm so glad you had a good day.  Debbie hope all went well this morning.  I have an appointment with the surgeon again on Monday so will be keen to hear how you got on.  I had wanted a double mx originally but have ended up being booked for lumpectomy plus reduction and lift as the surgeon said there is good evidence that recurrence risk is the same or better.  I'm really happy with the plan (especially the reduction and lift as my size will go from FF to C.  I'm looking forward to getting all new underwear!  Today I'm still struggling a bit with side effects from T number 5, even though it's now day 14.  Every day does seem to get a little bit easier though.  I'm due to have my final infusion a week tomorrow.

Claire, Kim, take it easy ladies, I'm still in your pocket while you get through the side effects.  Just remember to drink, breathe, and think that it's only a few more days before you'll start to feel a bit better each day.  Fiona. XX

I had a wonderful day at my daughter's graduation thank you everyone! But I experienced tiredness like I haven't know!! I was out for 12 hours and my brother got much better at driving the wheelchair by the end! Off for my scan and tattoos now...

Community Champion

Hope all goes well today too Debbie,
Like Claire, my appointments were a bit of a blur and I would have agreed with anything offered!! Having small boobs and taking into account the spread of DCIS shown initially, a masectomy was recommended because there wouldn't have been an awful lot left! Then I was referred to another surgeon to discuss immediate reconstruction and she was happy to do so even though there was the possibility of radiotherapy. I had a silicone implant with mesh (not sure which type) -the only real option for me as I'm skinny (well was then, think I'd be ok now!) Compared to chemo - surgery was fine, recovered quickly just suffered with seroma buildup but that dispersed eventually and was more annoying especially as well as chemo side effects.
There's a chance I will need my implant changing or moving as my surgeon did t think it say quite right (I'm happy with it but she's a perfectionist!) I spoke to my BC nurse yesterday to change my appointment as it was on a radiotherapy day, and I'm seeing the surgeon end of August to give me a break from hospitals and then she can see if radiotherapy affects d the implant also. Really not worried about another op - I'll know once I'm home from that, then it's over - no worries about results and further treatment which I found so unsettling.
Ellie, I hope you had a great day at your daughters graduation yesterday - hopefully you can have a nice relaxing day today to recover. We had a beautiful sunny day here yesterday - hopefully you did too Smiley Happy
I had a lovely relaxing day in the garden mostly enjoying the sunshine (covered in sunblock including my scalp - encouraging hair growth!!) Fresh air tired me out mind. Steroids ended yesterday - that's them ticked off!! Injections started this morning, so I reckon I have until 4pm then the side effects will kick in!! Going to count down every day as one less to go through now!! Don't have to have my 7 day blood test either this time so my veins can begin to recover now too!
Mechele - hope you're still OK and keeping that hospital bed at bay!! I have everything crossed for you!!
Claire, hope you don't suffer too badly as the SEs kick in - a lazy day planned here too!
Think there's just 3 of you left to have final does now? Cassy, Fiona (?) and Elizabeth having weeklies (?) how is that going - thinking 3 or 4 left now?
And everyone else - hope you're well on the road to feeling something like normal again!!
Lots of love xxx

I hope the appointment goes well today Debbie. I agree with Claire that my surgery was not as bad as chemo! I had 2 ops as they had to go back and clear lymph nodes due to what they found in the first op. I wasn't really given options so just did what I was told! The one thing that was useful was bringing in extra help in the week after the ops as I was more limited even than during chemo! Particularly if you have to carry a drain around with you, the practicalities are really hard and the first night having my adult daughter use lots of cushions to prop me in bed so the drain couldn't move was really helpful. This might be irrelevant for people with able husbands but I live on my own. 

Community Champion

Hi Debbie, good luck with the surgeon today. I had surgery first and as everything was so raw at the time I'm not sure I did ask everything I should have. I was in shock. As I had quite small boobs an mx was the only option on the right and with hindsight I'm glad it was as they found much more after the op than initially thought. I don't regret it and I was not offered immediate recon as I have to have rads. On the left I had a lupmectony as they thought they found a small tumour. It turned out to be lots of DCIS so back I went for mx number two plus axillary clearance on the right! No rads needs on left so I do wish I had pushed a bit more on recon that side.

the more I think about things now I am getting surer I want reconstruction. I'm going to have to wait till a year after rads. However, I'm trying to think of it as a positive as it gives me time to get fit and strong and  also hopefully less likely to have recurrence as it will a long time after my first op in October last year.

i would say be firm in what you want and ask about all the options. Recovery from surgery was ok. Nothing is as hard as chemo!

i hope this helps!

I am definitely chemo demob happy. I forgot my injection yesterday ( I only have one 24 hours after chemo) so did it 4 hours late. Then I forgot to take my anti sickness meds! Feeling the effects of T coming today so plan a lazy day!

i hope everyone is ok

Claire xxx

Hi, I'm meeting with my surgeon tomorrow morning to discuss what surgery I'm having. Is there any questions I should be asking. I'm feeling quite nervous!!
Debbie x
Community Champion

Glad you are feeling better Sissy and side effects lessening. Enjoy the dance show!

mechele I really hope you are ok and don't have a hospital visit this time. 

Ellie I hope you have enjoyed and survived your day out.

kim how are you doing today. I'm still high on steroids but I am beginning to flag due to another disturbed night with only four hours sleep again! I so can't wait to be out the other side of this last dose. I want to get fit again and start doing more without getting exhausted! I know it will take a while but I am very impatient! 

Debbie, Cassie, Fiona and anyone else my chemo brain has missed I hope all is ok with you.

Love Claire xxx

Hi Debbie, I'm day 10, starting to feel better. Am planning on venturing out tonight to watch my niece in a dance show. Haven't been out since last Monday. Have a sore throat, numb feeling tongue, heavy legs and tingling fingers still, but none of it worse than before. As of Monday I'm planning on starting some light exercise.

Claire and Kim, hope you're both okay. Ellie, have a lovely time today. Mechelle, good luck at the doctors, fingers crossed you stay out of hospital! Xx

Oh crikey Debbie, do hope they don't linger too long !! Going to Drs shortly, started with cold and coughing last night and coming up to my usual 'danger ' period on Fri/Sat , so precautionary really !! Best wishes to all 

Well done Claire on reaching the finish line, I hope you had a good nights sleep.
Ellie, hope you have a great day, proud Mummy moment!
Kim I hope you slept well too.
Sissy, Fiona, Mechele how are your side effects? Mine are lingering, I'm absolutely shattered, eyes, nose and mouth all sore and funny tummy and today is day 13!!!
Debbie X
Community Champion

I hope it all goes well Ellie and you manage the day. I will be thinking of you. You must be a very proud mummy xxx