Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

January 2016 Chemo starters

1,533 REPLIES 1,533
Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: January 2016 Chemo starters

Happy New Year from me too!
I can’t say I don’t think about what we’ve been through on a fairly regular basis because I still see the surgeon each year, then there’s the annual mammogram and then the annual trip to see the oncologist as well as the tablets!! But I’m getting on with life and probably fitter and healthier than I have been for years! Yoga, running and going to Bootcamp weekly are things I probably wouldn’t have done beforehand, or if I did then I’d be forever making excuses not to go!
Great to hear from you both Smiley Happy
Loads of love to you all xxx
Community Champion

Hi Fi and anyone else who still dips in here now and again! Happy New Year to you too. It’s three years next week since my chemo started. In some ways it seems like yesterday and in others it’s a distant memory!
It’s lovely to be living life again and I am making the most of my good health as I will never take it for granted again!
My aim for this year is to get out and about competing on my horse again. It’s been a long long time since I did anything like that but I feel ready for the challenge now!!!
Love and hugs to all and for anyone reading this going through treatment, it does end and life gets better again.
Claire xxxx

Happy New Year everyone.  It’s coming up for three years since diagnosis for me.  Time has flown, and I’m happy to say that I rarely think about cancer these days.  I hope everyone is doing well.  Lots of Love to all.  Fif x

Hello everybody! Glad to hear everyone is well and enjoying life. 

Love Cassy x

Lovely to hear that everyone is doing so well and living life.  I can hardly believe it’s been two years since that horrible time.  Long may NED continue for us all, with many holidays, parties and family occasions to enjoy!  X

How lovely to hear everyone doing ok and able to move on . Two years ago I had just finished active treatment and constantly thought about that horrible ‘journey’- rarely think about it these days. Prior to our recent holiday, we celebrated our Ruby Wedding- our youngest son having it at his house ( lots more space’ and caterers who did a fabulous meal - our 5 children, 13 grandchildren, hubbys brother and sister and their spouses etc . All in all such a wonderful day . Sending best wishes to all and hope everyone keeps well , love Mechele x x

BRILLIANT NEWS! Let's hope we get lots more of those! 

Community Champion

Lovely to hear from you ladies and that you are all doing so well Xx 

Community Champion

So good to hear Claire Smiley Happy
Xxx
Community Champion

Great  news! I hope everyone else is well and happy too. I'll never forget the support and comfort I got from everyone in this group as we all went through hell together!

All good with me. My reconstruction has given me back my self confidence and I'm making the most of it by living life to the full! I've had two beach holidays this year which is something I would not have contemplated pre surgery and I enjoyed every second! 

Otherwise im working four days a week and spending my free time riding my horse and appreciating everything I have!! 

love to all

Claire xxxx

Community Champion

Ah great news Smiley Happy
Hope everyone is well and enjoying the sunshine ☀️
Xxx

Just got result of my 2 year mammogram - all clear! X
Community Champion

There hasn’t been any moving on courses near enough to me and being back at work I guess makes it just that bit more difficult. Everyone I’ve heard who have been in them say how good they are. I have to admit although I feel I have moved on, the worry of a reoccurrence is never too far away from my mind even if the memories of chemotherapy are definitely firmly in the past and I sometimes think ‘did I really go through all of that?!’ I am quite happy and positive tho, and really enjoying my new found exercise routine of yoga and running - do t think I’ve ever been so fit!!
Aches and stiffness are a feature of every day life for me too. Side effects of Anastrozole for me tho, and although I get them checked out from time to time incase I’m ignoring something more serious, I can usually put up with it fortunately. I can understand you not wanting another operation Fifi! But if it’s going to improve your quality of life then it’s worth doing.
Lots of love to you all Smiley Happy xx

I finally went on a “moving forward after cancer” course. I really got a lot out of it, it’s great to chat to other people who have been through the same thing. It also made me realise what a long way I’ve come, and how good I’m feeling now. My only issue is a really stiff and painful left hip due to arthritis. I’m grumpy about it as apparently the only treatment is surgery and it’s quite a major operation. But I think it’s probably worth it as I’m taking painkillers every day and it still hurts! Hope everyone is doing well and feeling happy and hopeful! XX
Community Champion

Happy New Year to you Fiona and all the other jan 2016 ladies. I’m in France skiing at the moment- couldn’t have imagined that two years ago!
I agree let’s hope this is the year we put bc behind us for once and for all!
Love to all
Claire xxxx
Community Champion

Happy New Year to you all too 😊🎉 xx

Happy New Year everyone.  I’m wishing for a fantastic fun-filled fabulously healthy one for all of us.  Let this be the year we can forget cancer ever happened to us.  I’m feeling full of hope.  Love to you all!  X

Hi everyone, just thought I would check in, usually there is very little on this thread whenever I have a look. Well after catching up with everyone’s posts, I have to send a big hug to Mechele for going through all that worry and a big sigh of relief that the news is good. Wishing you all the very best this Christmas.
Love from Cassy xxx

Hi Mechele and everyone.  I thought I would check in today as it must be coming up for 2 years for all of us.  Michele I was so happy to read that your biopsy wasn’t needed after all.  I read that bit first then I went back through the earlier posts.  Sounded awful as what a relief to get the good news.  Isn’t it annoying that we immediately start thinking doom and gloom these days whenever we have to see the doctors.  I’m trying to keep positive and to assume that everything will be fine, but it is hard.  One day at a time!

Mechele when you said you felt guilty for putting your husband through the worry I know what you mean.  I always feel the same, but I do think we have to put ourselves first while we are still recovering.  And I definitely don’t think I’m over it yet.  I’m hoping that I’ll feel differently next spring, I still have quite low energy.

Can’t wait for Christmas - sending lots of love to you all.  Fif  x

Hi Mechele

Excellent news What a massive relief!  

Everyone, keep well and enjoy the Christmas period. 

Elizabeth. Xxxx

BRILLIANT NEWS! I sobbed my heart out the other night when I read about your recall. I really couldn't be happier for you! Ellie. x

Community Champion

Ah that is good news and a huge relief!
Our poor brains do go into overdrive at the hint of possible bad news....
So pleased for you 😊
Xxx
Community Champion

Wonderful news Mechele. I have been thinking about you a lot. Relax and enjoy Christmasceorh your family.
Claire xxxxxxx

Hi everyone , I did write a message yesterday and have no idea why it wasn't posted !!!, so will start again.

Such amazing news and outcome yesterday - the Dr doing the scan said it clearly was just scar tissue/ radiation and nothing to worry about at all- therefore no biopsies required , phew ! Appt for 5th therefore cancelled and just couldn't be happier and so relieved. Didn't sleep well Tuesday , as you can imagine my brain was going through every scenario . I have an appt for hair today - cut/ restyle , dye plus highlights - during Tuesday night thinking , is there much point when it could be dropping out beginning of January !! Also joking the Jan18 chemo starters etc etc - oh my, why does our brain torture us so much.

Anyway, all good and thankyou for your lovely supportive messages - for that I could not thank you enough.Wishing you all good health and have a fabulous Xmas .

With love and best wishes,

Mechele X X X 

Mechelle I am distraught for you. We all desperately want good news for each other. You've got through so much - wishing you strength to get through the next few days and very much wishing for good news on 5th. x

Thank you Kim - it really does help having contact with such a wonderful and caring group who understand , having 'been there, done that" etc . My hubby is so worried and very supportive, but I feel guilty after having all the problems with chemo etc, then being so unwell for those months leading up to the Neprectomy. Hopefully the 5th will be good news , but can't help worrying at times in case it's not . 

Hope your mammogram goes well, no reason for it not to and will be fine . I don't have any follow ups with the oncologist - only the breast surgeon. She is lovely and very thorough and have 100% confidence in her. Sending love and best wishes X X 

Thank you Claire - bet your flat stomach is fab - you really do look great on the photos - you got your Xmas pressies sorted yet for your 4 legged friends 🐴. Not spoke lately to Ro and Gerry - give them my love . X X 

Community Champion

Oh Mechele, that's really not the news you needed! I have everything crossed for you that it’s the radiotherapy not anything else.... But it’s a flipping long time to wait for results! Pretty sure I’d be feeling exactly the same as you, not easy to be feeling positive when we’ve been through it all before :/
I’ve got my mammogram on Tuesday, appointment with the breast surgeon beginning of January and not sure when I’m seeing the oncologist again - thought it was supposed to be 6 mths after my last appt, but that was over 6 mths ago!
Apart from that, everything seems to be going well!
Sending you loads of love - please keep us updated as you know we’re always here for you to load off to xxx
Community Champion

Oh Mechele I’ve just seen your post. How worrying for you. Hopefully it is just due to rads and they are being ultra cautious but I can imagine how you just feel. It’s what we all dread.
At Least my new boobs are made out of stomach fat so I don’t have to have mammograms. I still get quite a lot of discomfort on my rads and lymph node side and that scares me. I had annual check up with breast surgeon in September and all ok but I’m seeing oncologist next week for check up. It’s never easy wLking back through those hospital doors!
Take care and try not to dwell on it. Easier said than done i know but the docs won’t take any chances with your history so hopefully it’s nothing.
Sending love to you and all the Jan 2016 chemo girls.
Claire xxx

Hi there - wow , 20lbs - well done you and so pleased you're feeling more yourself. 

At the moment I really don't know what to think or feel. Started to feel so much better after the Nephrectomy , but of late just don't feel great. Had my 2nd annual mammogram last week and was awaiting my letter to say 'all satisfactory ' , but instead , after 3 days received a tel call saying they needed to see me 😨- not the answer I expected/wanted. 

Consultant said she really didn't know why the change in tissue/ thickening and to have core biopsies/ ultrasound this coming Wednesday . ( ? suppose could be due to rads etc) Appt also made for Tuesday 5th Dec for results . One min I'm positive ' just due to rads' , the next , looking at chance of recurrence within 18 months . Keep going from being calm to sheer panic thinking I can't do this again. 

Sorry for the moan - just needed to unload.

Sending love to everyone else 

Mechele X X X 

Fab news Claire and Michele I'm so happy for you both.  All is good with me.  I'm finally starting to feel really myself again (it's taken a while!) and have also been dieting and exercising a lot and have lost 20lbs, which I'm really pleased about as that means I've finally lost the weight I put on during my first pregnancy 18 years ago!!  Lots of love. X

I use kinesio tape. It's not expensive and seems to help me. Top tip - soak off don't pull off! I find I need to leave it on for about 5 days and then it will come off easily, then I give it a few days off before reapplying. I have seen 2 different nurses and been taught a few different ways to apply it. 

I am also between hairstyles, trying to grow it back to a shoulder length bob. Playing with colour and not found anything I really like yet! Getting lots of compliments though and people who haven't seen me for a few months always exclaim how nice it looks! Surley anything would look good after the bald style!

Hi Mechele,

I am so glad to hear your surgery went well and that you are now starting to feel much better...you really did have a horrific 'chemo journey', I really cannot imagine what you went through. Some sun and relaxation, was just what you needed, Gran Canaria is somewhere that I would like to go, I shall have to try and start dropping holiday hints again. Lovely to hear from you!

Love Cassy x

Hi Cassy, good to hear you're doing ok and about the hair- it does seem to have quite an impact on us doesn't it. Mine is still quite curly, but not as tight curls as it was but takes some getting used to - anything better than a shiny head tho !!!!

My surgery went ok and discharged after 5 days- a lot of pain that first week, thank heavens for hourly oramorph as well as other medication for pain. Had post op appt with Urologist and given the all clear ( kidney had only 5% function , very enlarged but NO nasties - phew). Within an hour of being home had a holiday booked to our favourite place in Gran Canaria - had a fabulous 10 days and have not felt this well in almost two years. The kidney explains about the continual infections and never feelin well after the BC treatment.

Good to hear all went well with Claire and everyone else.

Sending best wishes to all ,

Love Mechele X X X 

So pleased it went well for you Claire. Take it easy for a while and let us know how you are getting on xxx

Kim, I am glad to hear your cellulitis has cleared up and you can now go back to wearing your sleeve. I am currently waiting for an appointment to see a lymphoedema nurse, my consultant has mentioned 'kinesio taping' for my breast. Anyone with any knowledge of this I would be grateful to hear from.  

Also, I seem to remember that you (Kim) have bone scans...? A recent thorax CT with contrast (just to check my lungs/chest area, after repeated chest infections and cellulitis) have shown my lungs and chest are clear...yay! The scan did bring something else up, calcifications on my spine in the area that was scanned, so I have been told they are going to request a spine MRI or a full body bone scan. Again, hopefully this is nothing to be worried about and they are just being thorough, but again, any experience/knowledge would be helpful.

Anyone else, (Ellie, Mechele & Fif66) who may still check out the thread 'hello' Smiley Happy and my hair is slowly getting there albeit in between styles. Trying to grow it back in to a bob, the sides are almost to the bottom of my ears now, the fringe needs to catch up quite a bit and I am keeping the natural grey, I really like it. 

Love from Cassy xxx

Community Champion

Ah Claire that's so good to hear!! Be good and take it easy 😊
I'm really well, the cellulitis cleared up with a double dose of antibiotics and after a couple of weeks I was able to wear my compression sleeve again which was a relief as my arm was getting big again and I was worried all my good work was being g undone.
I go runnning once a week, yoga twice a week and walk as much as I can in between. I'm also convinced all this exercise is helping control my lymphodema as well as easing the side effects of the Anastrozole. I feel so much more energetic for it too 😊
Hope everyone else is doing well - so good to catch up xxx
Community Champion

Hi everyone,

i hope all dong well and feeling good. I had my bilateral DIep reconstruction on Thursday! Delighted with results and I don't feel half as bad as I thought I would! I was getting very nervous in the rum up to the op but I can honestly say it was ok. 11 hours in theatre but I was home on Saturday 2 days later as I was doing so well!. I think all the riding and stable work have helped me maintain good fitness levels. 

Its now a few weeks of taking it easy. My stomach is tight but boobs feel fine. 

Lim just skin pleased I didn't chicken out and went for it!

i really hope everyone is fighting fit and loving life to the ful. We really deserve every good day we have! 

Love to all

claire xxx

Lovely to hear from everyone.  My mammogram came back clear, hurrah that was a big relief.  As soon as I feel any pain anywhere in my body I automatically think it's mets....   Stay well everyone  I'm thinking often of you all and sending cosmic love!   Claire I hope the surgery is smooth and successful.  Kim hope the cellulitis cleared up and I hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine.  X

Hi Claire,

I am glad that you are enjoying life and able to do all the things you love again. I felt a bit sad thinking of the fact that you have got to this happy stage after going through so much, but still have reconstruction to go through.  I do hope it all goes as well as can be expected for you and that your recovery isn't too bad. 

Let us know how things go, I am sure there will be lots of support this thread from us all if you need it. 

Best wishes,

Cassy xxx

Community Champion

Hi everyone, it's nice to hear that we are all doing ok after last years life changing experience! Sorry to hear about the cellulitis Kim. I'm very careless with my lymph clearance side so that's made me think I should be a bit more sensible!

Life is good for me. I'm loving my new house and being back at work but best of all is having my horse and riding three or more times  a week. I absolutely love it and all the work with my horse ( and the two Shetlands I have also acquired) keeps me fit! 

Im also really pleased that my hair is just about long enough for a really short ponytail! The cold cap torture was worth it! I look in the mirror now and see ME not a breast cancer patient! 

My next big challenge is reconstruction. I'm supposed to be having it in July but I'm very nervous as it means a long time not being able to ride and function normally. I'm not good at being vulnerable and I like the fact I feel so fit and well right now. It's something I do want but it will not be easy to be a patient again. At least it's my choice this time! 

I do think of all of you lovely ladies on this thread who supported me through chemo last year. It was so so hard. I'm a stronger and better person as a result but I never ever want to go through that again!

love to you all,

claire xxxxx

Community Champion

Thanks Cassy, I was thinking that having spare antibiotics would be a good thing especially if I go abroad. It's nearly cleared up now except for a tender lump at the top of my arm which I'm guessing might have been an insect bite which maybe caused it. Hopefully it'll improve quickly and I can wear my compression sleeve soon to get the rest of my arm back to normal size!
Hope you are well 😊 Xxx

Hi Kim

I have had cellulitis in my affected boob a couple of times, it usually gets swollen and hot. I have a spare lot of antibiotics prescribed just in case it comes back again. The antibiotics are are pain to take, and the side effects aren't great either! I was told that because of the lymph node clearance of my affected side that there will be more of a chance of having infections etc. My consultant said to try not to touch it (unless in the shower etc.) as we constantly have germs on our hands and infections can penetrate the skin with the tiniest scratch. Also, to moisturise with E45 cream or similar to keep the skin from feeling itchy, especially when there is swelling. Hope things improve for you soon. 

Love from Cassy xxx

Ow Kim! So sorry to hear that. When the doctor told me about a "new normal" she wasn't joking was she?! I guess I am still learning to cope with the new way of living. And lots of the time life is great, but if I had realisd all the implications I am starting to wonder whether I would have gone through with all the treatment! 

Community Champion

Hi 😊
Well I had been really pleased with how everything was going then last Sunday developed cellulitis in my lymphodema arm and I'm on a double course of antibiotics. It's improving but I'm annoyed mainly because as I can't wear my compression sleeve, my arm has swollen up again. I was doing so well too!! No idea how I got cellulitis. I know it's a complication you have to look out for and treat quickly when you have lymphodema but I'm at a loss as to how to prevent it happening again :/
Hopefully it'll. e all back to normal in a week or two tho Smiley Happy
Great to hear from you both, hope everyone else is doing well 😊 Xxx

All well here. I have been getting headaches that were getting worse and worse. I suddenly remembered that once before when I got headaches I cut out coffee and that stopped them. That was after I had convinced myself I had secondary cancer of the brain! I have had 3 days with no coffee and no headaches!! 

I too feel like I have a lot to look forward to! x

I went for my first mammogram last week.  Amazing that it's been a year since my surgery, the time seems to have passed so quickly.  I'm starting to feel much better.  Still a bit achy and more tired than I used to be, but definitely much better.  I had a lovely holiday in April with all the family, and am going to Portugal for a yoga retreat week with my sister in July.ad it's just so nice to have things to look forward to.  Hope everyone is doing well.  I still think of you all often and wonder how everyone is getting on.  Although I've been really busy and am feeling well, I do still think about cancer every day, and worry about recurrence, so I've been letting go of negative thoughts with lots of meditation and stuff.  It's pretty effective, life goes on!   Love to all, Fiona xx

Cassie I had a really bad run of colds until I took vitamin D - for me it was like a miracle cure! I stayed out of the sun last year so it makes sense. 

Such a super photo of you Cassy - and wow , signing up for 'Race for Life' , it really doesn't matter if you walk/ run - well done you . Everyone's 'fitness ' regimes puts me to shame at present, but hopefully after my op I will start to feel better and with more energy. It's lovely to hear how everyone is doing and send love and best wishes to all . Happy Easter everyone - wet here !!! , could do with some sun . 

Mechele x X 

Well, hello everyone! I decided to sign in and see if anyone has seen my message and low and behold messages! It is lovely to catch up and read how everyone is getting on, it has really made me smile...except for your message Mechele. I am so sorry to hear that once again you have had to go into hospital, I hope that things start to get better for you and that your surgery and recovery goes well.

I am taking Tamoxifen, I don't think it is really having any noticeable affect on me to be honest. Most of the time I feel pretty 'normal' but then I pick up an illness and wham, it knocks me for six! 

I too have signed up for 'Race for Life' (in Eastbourne in June). I am very overweight and have rubbish knees so I won't be running it, at best walking fast with a touch of jogging if I am lucky! I have bought a 'Breast Cancer Care' T-shirt to wear instead of buying a cancer research one.

I realise that it may sound silly, as I have never actually met any of you, but it is so good to see the messages on this thread and see how we are all doing despite our past shared experiences. Thank you all!

Love from Cassy xxx