Re: February Chemo Starters 2018

Hello everyone lovely to hear from you . You sound like you are all going through it but miss green I feel for you and hope things get sorted for you . Do you take someone with you for support. Sending you a big hug 🤗
I too have applied for a moving forward course but certainly don’t feel right to go back to work . I have 2 more radio sessions . They aren’t doing a axilla clearance now just the radio and then it will done for me as I’m triple neg I can’t have anything else . But I’m still suffering from chemo sideeffects . Peripheral neuropathy hands and feet . Nails so painful big toe nail fell off other day and the worse thing is reflux . Gp has put me on new tab esomperazole 40 mg twice day but it’s not made a difference . It’s getting me down . My memory is terrible too x from the radio side of things my throat is like razor blades and psin in chest side. I too weeburd have heard it peaks a few weeks after finishing and can last up to 6 weeks .i hope you all are ok . Keep doing the atm exercises they are so important especially if you need radio x fingers crossed for everyone 😘

Hi all - looks like we are all still having a few issues.Hope your drain came out yesterday Bibi.Sending big hugs to you Miss Green.Must be nice to finish rads Wee Burd.The thought of moving forward and going back to work is daunting😕

I ended up going back to theatre on the 24th to clear a large heamatoma behind my temporary implant.Drain number 2 came out last Fri and all dressings off yesterday so hopefully on the mend now.Still very tender especially under my arm pit although scar stops atleast 2 inches away.Been told this is probably nerve damage where they took the lymph glands out.

Bibi like you I am   finding the exercises a bit tricky to do.Dont want to over do it as don't want to induce another heamatoma or seroma. Going to Spain Sunday ( daughter is bridesmaid) - don t fancy going in to Spanish hospital for drainage! Managed to get insurance😀

Some good news - hair is growing back - have about 1.5cm on the top.Eye brows have all of a sudden started to appear and have a few tiny eyelashes!Oh and pubic hairs- they seem to be winning the race currently.So glad the chemo bit is behind me 😁

I have been referred for rads Bibi but not yet heard.I anticipate a 1-2 week wait for onc appt.Then 2-3 weeks before date for 'planning'.Then 2 weeks before start of treatment.Therefore mid to late Sept( Portsmouth hospitals).

Maybe back to work end of August.??(I work at the hospital- planning to have the treatments whilst at work/ just after shifts depending on how it  effects me.

Thinking of you all xxx

Miss Green, so sorry to hear that the doctors misadvised you.  Hope they have a firm plan worked out for you by Friday.  Hopefully there is something they can do that doesn't prolong the treatment for too much longer.  Sending hugs and wishing you luck.

Bibi, hope you are recovering well and get a chance to enjoy the wedding at the weekend.  Keep persevering with the exercises, they really do help!

I finished radiotherapy treatment today, so no more trips to Glasgow for a while.  They have advised that the after effects will probably peak in about 7 - 10 days' time.  I have invited some friends round for a celebratory afternoon tea on 10th Aug, so I just hope I haven't been overly optimistic about my energy levels by then!

Off to visit my parents tomorrow - and to celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary with them.  Looking forward to the break.

I have signed up for the Breast Cancer Care Moving Forward Course starting on 9th August which I hope will be interesting and informative.  I need to think about getting back to work and I'm hoping the course will have a few pointers about coping with that!

Keep well everyone x

Thanks Bibi. Feel so angry. They should have got all their ducks in a row before using the R word.

Xx

Oh Miss Green - the emotional up and downs of these pieces of information are so hard and draining - I am sending you hugs 🤗 and hope you are bearing up and they are able to offer a good plan for you 🤞xxx

Hi Bibi

That's great news you could have a WLE rather than a mastectomy. Fingers crossed they got a good clearance.

I am afraid my Oncololgist was premature in saying I am in remission. He referred me back to the Breast team as he was satisfied with my chest and lung but an ultra sound shows one of my tumours had stubbornly remained in the boob. On Friday I will find out what the plan next. Hoping they can do another WLE on my mastectomy.

T

xx

Morning everyone - glad to hear your good news Miss Green - must be such a relief for you. 

How are you coping with the radiotherapy WeeBurd? At least the hot weather has gone now but the daily trek must be wearing - not looking forward to that. 

Macneech hope you are continuing to recover and initial problems after op are easing. Have you had results and dates for radiotherapy yet?

After always being told I would be having a mastectomy - when the chemo finished and I saw surgeon again it was a different (one due to illness of previous one) after much discussion of chemo results ( very good response) and initial diagnosis and much soul searching I was advised I could have a WLE instead . Date for op was delayed a week so went off to the Welsh Coast to enjoy the beautiful weather, but I had it last Thursday- 26th so am just recovering. Drain a bit uncomfortable but 🤞out today when I visit hospital for check up, feeling bruised but much better than I thought I would. Next big step is getting results and hearing the words ‘ clear margins’ so just distracting myself from that- got a family wedding next weekend and looking forward to catching up with everyone plus hoping can get my outfit on! Doing the arm exercises but some a bit painful atm . Take care everyone and continue to enjoy life. xxx

Hope everything improves for you Macneech and no need for interventions. Sounds like a lot to cope with after the chemo. I've now had 10 of my 19 radiotherapy zappings. Compared to chemo it's a scoosh so far although a friend who went through it last year has warned me that the worst of the effects are about 2 weeks after the treatment. But I think for anyone who's been through chemotherapy there's nothing to worry about in coping with the radiotherapy.
I am getting some more hair on my head and arms now but still no eyebrows! I've taken off the nail polish now as my nails were flaking so much. Not looking good, trying to keep them in as good condition as I can manage.
Energy levels still fluctuating - a combination of the early starts, travel to Glasgow every day and the hot weather as well as the radiotherapy.
I've started on tamoxifen now - has anyone else been put on it and are you having any side effects?

Brilliant news Miss Green. Good luck Bibi for your surgery this week.I had a right mastectomy and axillary clearance last Tues and frustratingly had a slight blip.Felt brilliant the afternoon following surgery but I managed to block my drain overnight,had a very low blood pressure and grew a HH size boob.I had a B size temporary implant! Been home since last Thurs but have still been really wobbly with low HB ( been put on iron),Felt like bad chemo days!

Oops - thought this bit would be easy and maybe had too higher expectations.

Saw consultant yesterday - pressure dressing off which was a relief but drain still draining.Back to see him tomorrow- threatening to aspirate blood clot/ fluid if it hasn't gone down 😕

Oh well - I know things will get better.On to the final hurdle ( rads) come Sept then hopefully done.

Hair definitely coming - very fluffy on the top of my head.!!

Again - good luck Bibi - try not to sleep on your drain!😁

Thank you Wee Burd. You and all the other ladies who have been on this forum have been an immense help since February xx

Fantastic news Miss Green! So pleased for you. Onwards and upwards!

Good news the lung tumour has gone, chest lymphnode is so small they're not concerned. May need an MRI re boob tumours, not showing on CT as so small, but this is now going to be discussed in light of good news. Being put on tablets to block my oestrogen so the cancer isn't being fed. Basically I am back in remission so NO more chemo. Still in a state of shock with the good news

I asked today about the  nail varnish when I was in to get my herceptin - the answers varied from 3 - 4 - 6 weeks! Looking on the internet, I couldn't see anyhting specific to answer this - only that any discolouration should go away in a few months.  I am now 3 weeks on from my last dose and was thinking of giving my nails a breather when the current polish starts to chip which will probably be within the next 2 or 3 days.  One of the nurses suggested cleaning it off at night and reapplying during the day but that sounds like more effort than I can be bothered with!

Does anyone know how long you have to wear daerk nail varnish after last chemo. Four weeks after chemo now and I’m longing to take it off!

Hi everyone - I’ve been lucky with nails , just one or two splitting at the ends - I’ve been wearing dark nail varnish which I hate so don’t know whether that helped - have taken it off now as I am nearly 4 weeks post chemo now and hoping any effects from light have passed. 

Hope your op goes well Macneech and you make a good recovery. 

My op is July 19th  so hoping we will get a little break away next week for a few days after hubby has finished a work contract and in between heart scan and pre-op. I’m fancying a walk on the beach to lift my spirits and steady the nerves. 

I am starting to feel my energy levels return and have been trying some exercise, done a couple of swims and did yoga in the garden last night with my yoga teacher - first time since Jan - really enjoyed the stretch. Trying to build myself up before op, am eating much better and 🤞am slowly starting to lose a bit of the chemo weight gain. Hope you all continue to recover well and good luck with whatever is next for you xx

Hi everyone,good to read that most of us are gradually coming out the other side of chemo.I am beginning to feel nearly normal at last although my legs still feel like  tonne weights and numb when I get moving and am now in a continuous hot flush! - could be something to do with the weather!

I have managed to hold onto my nails so far but the tenderness is still there.The nail tips rather than the cuticle seem to look weaker ( yellow and fibrous)which is weird as I thought the damage should show from about half way down.

Hair is growing but far too slowly and so patchy😕.Lots of new grey!( Can't brave going wigless yet).

I did have post chemo bloods but am due to have surgery next - pre op tomorrow then mastectomy and axillary clearance  next Tues.Any advice greatly received!!

So need to get away - so glad you had a great weekend Miss Green!

Planning to get to south of Spain ( daughter is maid of honour for her best friend ) - will be 4 weeks post surgery?!?

No swimming in the pool for me I don't think - just dangling my feet xx

Hi Chrissy.

Some of my finger nails are really sore and have lifted. A few others lifted but have gone back down but I still think I am going to lose 2 more finger nails and a toe nail as they leak fluid and a little blood. Had to bandage one finger up today to stop me catching the nail especially after yesterday when I banged it and it bled for 10 mins. Chemo has a lot to answer for.

Having said all the above I have had a fab weekend, walked loads (comfy trainers are a must even in this heat), eaten far to much but above all i have laughed and smiled. I def recommend having a weekend away when you can.

Hi everyone thanks for your reply’s .
Hope you have great time away I want to go away not had a break or day awaysince diagnosis on 5th Dec 17 .
Hope your nail is abit better mine are killing me too xx
Let’s hope this journey had nearly finished xxx

Hi Chrissy I haven't been given any more appointments for blood to be taken after the last cycle. I was slightly anaemic too but was just advised to eat plenty of iron rich food and as far as I know I am okay now as I'm a lot less tired.

I had a phone consultation with the oncology pharmacist yesterday and she asked about the side effects from cycle 6 and confirmed my appointment for my next herceptin injection next week. I think that's about all the input I will have now. She certainly didn't mention any future blood tests being done.

I hope that you are feeling better now that you've been taking the iron. Just be careful not to let it bung you up!