Re: February Chemo Starters 2018

Hi Woodie67 sounds like you're at the same stage as I am. I've not been having chest problems as such but I notice that I get breathless more easily when walking briskly or uphill. I have been putting that down to the fact that I'm much less fit than before starting chemo as I have so many days now when I am really inactive. Probably good to let your chemo team know how you're progressing so that they can spot any changes.

I’ve had breathlessness all the way through since first fec. As I’ve been in hospital with neutropenic sepsis a couple of times I’ve had checks and X-rays but nothing shows up. I mention it at every consult but they only seem to worry if it gets worse. Worth going to see your GP and getting it checked out or mention it to your chemo team. Hope you are surviving the SEs! 

Hi - I’m a very latecomer to this thread.  Diagnosed with TNBC right breast 7 mm but shot to my axillary nodes with 6/26 affected.  I’m over half way through FEC-T having had my first Docetaxol 2 weeks ago, next one next Wednesday.  Managed fairly well with FEC but the first T had very different SE and only just started coming round on Saturday.  I’m still suffering from what I describe chest tightness/discomfort and increased breathlessness on the slightest effort and just wondering if anyone else has had the same?  You start worrying and fearing the worst in the middle of the night..

Afternoon ladies - good to hear we are having some positive things hopefully outweighing some of the rough stuff.

Bibi - my nails are ok,I have clear nail varnish to stop them flaking on the tips and so that I can see what is going on.My finger tips and nail beds just feel tender - I try not to put stress on them.

I am day 8 post Tax number 2 -  I am getting the bowel symptoms like last time but popping lots of Buscopan and Wind settlers to try and ease it.I assume it is where the lining comes away and doesn' like the foods I am feeding it😞

Thought I was ok yesterday - ate a few veggies ( cooked) and s little cheese but have suffered for it overnight and this morning☹

Back to the chicken and rice - doesn't do much for the taste buds. Tongue is still slightly white and a couple of ulcers.Sucking on ice lollies. 

You have been very positive 're the extra cycle Bibi - like me you have been probably counting the days. Just want this bit done.However like you I would respect whatever the oncologist says is in our best interest' .

I have my onc appt mon ( earlier as my last chemo falls around the bank holiday again) - we'll ee.

Again like you Bibi I have a week in southern Spain arranged 1st week in Aug as my daughter is chief bridesmaid to  her best friend out there.We are hoping my mastectomy will fall early July so that I will be able to travel. Then back for the rads!! Want the chemo bit out of the way as hoping to cope better with the surgery and rads - hey and maybe back to work at some point!! Have forgotten what work is 😀

Hope you northern ladies are enjoying the sunshine up there today if you can - it is cloudy and windy here in the south.xxx

[ Edited ]

Great to hear you had a good weekend Wee Burd and well done for doing the walk.

ive been lucky with my nails and they are still OK and not sore on the Docetaxol- hate the black nail varnish though - don’t know how people can be bothered with nail varnish - does my head in having to maintain it. Using some nice cuticle and nail cream to give them a boost.

Welcome to the group Daisy - isn’t it weird how we all react differently to the same drugs? I have found the T cycle doesn’t affect me as much as the FEC did.Hope you have picked up after last cycle now.

I have had oncologist appointment this morning , was supposed to have last chemo this Thursday but he is so pleased with the way tumour has responded to the 2 cycles of T + herceptin he has decided an extra round would be the best way forward to give me the best chance of making sure the little bugger is dealt with forever. So feeling a bit weird as was expecting this week to be last and was making plans for a holiday before surgery- so they are on hold again - but am ok with the extra chemo if it gives me a better fighting chance. I I’ll just have to enjoy my garden instead- and wedding dress shopping to look forward to with my daughter.

Have a good week everyone - stay well x

Thats sounds lovely Wee Burd. Glad you have some nice "You Time" x

Oh Wee Burd thats lovely to hear - so glad you had a good day with friends. A bit of normality is such a wonderful feeling ! xx

Just to prove that I don't just come on here to moan all the time yesterday I had a really lovely day. Along with 4 friends I walked a 5k Race for Life at Stirling university. We remembered our dear friend who died last November. We had glorious sunshine and scenery and afterwards everyone came back to the house for a barbecue and yummy prosecco. What a great day. And I felt just about normal. What a difference good weather and good friends can make ❤
Hope everyone is coping and feeling strong. Good luck to everyone having treatment this week.
Community Champion

Yes..thank you for replying...my main worry is infection?

lets hope we can avoid itxx

Hi Moijan and Chrissy

My finger nails are very sore indeed. Toe nails are a little sore but nothing like my fingers. Just hope I am not going to lose any as that freaks me out.

Xx
Community Champion

[ Edited ]

I’m concerned Re nail beds..,have sore fingers...Chrissy are your fingers sore too?

i may get cellulitis if my nails fall out.

has anyone had nail problems?

Mx

Welcome Daisy

Sorry to hear you've struggled with your most recent round of chemo and found out your new man isn't the person you thought he was. We're a lovely bunch here even if i do say so myself lol.

T

XX

Hi daisy

welcome to the group . Sorry to hear you felt so bad on T I too have my 5th T on Tuesday so I hope I’m not so bad.The first one wasn’t too bad except terrible back ache and tiredness. we have a wedding to go to at day 12 . My finger nails are starting to lift and are tender now . Has anyone else this problem ?

hope everyone else gets on ok and is feeling a bit more normal 

chrissy x

Hi everyone, sorry to have arrived so late to to the party, but I've been reading the thread and  wish I'd found you all sooner. I was diagnosed in December, grade 3 invasive ductal, and operated on (lumpectomy and sentinal node) two day after Christmas. I too was a February starter, FECT. I've cold capped and kept all of my hair so far, although it could still go after this (5th) T and another one still to go. I've certainly found this T phase harder, I bounced back from the FEC and the first T, and apart from the actual chemo day (Thursday) and the following day, I was back at work the following week. Not this time though, it absolutely floored me. Practically spent the whole week in bed, not sick or feverish or anything like that, just exhausted.

Also going through a divorce and the man I left him for turns out to be a bit of a dickhead, so just dumped him too. In for a penny...

Anyway ladies, just thought I'd introduce myself. And we're almost there. killer drugs wise. I've got radio next, but somehow that feels less scary.

Daisy xxxx

Thanks for the tip re the reflux Chrissy I will give my GP a call. No need for medical exemption card as all prescription in Scotland are free. However if there's something I can get over the counter I will probably just get that.
Green Damsel I haven't been out shopping for ages but will be getting some coconut water when I go tomorrow.
Great news Bibi on the scan. It must be a great relief.
I finally seem to be improving today. Had a good sleep last night and have been able to get out for a good walk with the dog. Yesterday I started off feeling pretty good but was asleep on the couch by 2pm!
I have just been touching up my nails which are a lovely gothic purple. Not seen any changes so far. It's quite a novelty for me to have painted nails- they usually chip so fast I can't be bothered but maybe this life of leisure isn't all bad!
I saw the article about exercise. I know that when I do get outside in the fresh air it really helps but there have been so many days when I have felt really awful that I would hate to feel under pressure to exercise. You can only do what your body tells you. I do wonder if any of the doctors who wrote the report have been through a chemotherapy treatment themselves?

Hi Chrissy

I only got around to painting my nails a couple of weeks ago, after cycle 4 of Docetaxel & Capecitibane, as they had been sore for a while. Like you i removed the varnish today, fingers only, to see what was underneath as they had become really sore and doing everyday tasks was becoming a pain in the bum. My nails have horizontal dark pink lines on them and they are discoloured but no lifting as yet. Will check my toes later.

T

xx

Hello everyone 

have had first T and turning the corner except half tooth fell out so got to have filling Monday if I’m not neutropenic. ( luckily I found out to get checked as dentist never said , what a terrible thought that could have been .

moijan - hope your leg pains get better soon.

weeburd- don’t buy your scripts have you got medical exemptions card . I was on lansoperazole and gaviscon but didn’t help towards end of FEC I’m now on omperazole and it’s worked brilliant so go to your GP Or ring them like I did and they organised over the phone (telephone consultation- you won’t pick up bugs then )

jude51 I totally understand you with back ache . I have a repeat bone scan on 21st may due to lumbar changes I was told I’m hoping that it’s due to the op or the Gcfs injections I heard can cause them and I hope that it’s not bone cancer . 

Bibi - I wish we had a holiday home oh I so need a break and the family but eldest daughter starts GCSES so not good time to go away and Youngest daughter is 12 and stroppy ! Ahhhhh !

Green damsel thankyou for the tip on coconut water will add to my tesco shop .

i know it’s not major but has anyone had fingernail changes I had ridges already but the white nail bit is going down the beds so not sure if lifting from beds . I did paint gothic colour but chipping so took it off to discover what was underneath.

2nd T (5th cycle ) due Tuesday good luck everyone talk about wishing my time away . Is anyone going for radio after ? 

[ Edited ]

Feeling positive! Had scan and the little bugger has shrunk! 

Was feeling really nervous going in as last times hadn’t shown any change - but thanks to 2 rounds of T and Trastuzumab and  Pertuzumab it looks like it is responding. See my oncologist Tuesday and hopefully last chemo next Thursday 🤞😊

Lovely to hear you have had a better time on your second T Bibi. Had mine this morning - enjoying the steroid high currently although taste buds already starting to shut down. Going to our local Haven tomorrow morning if well enough to get some advice hopefully re my previous gastric nightmare.Have got Lansoprazole, Buscopan,peppermint capsules all lined up and will do my best to avoid Brufen 🤞

Had my ultra sound yesterday  but waited an hour in our packed breast clinic with loads of people coughing and spluterring- grrr! Have got this far without picking up an infection- don't want one now. Bibi hope your sneezing this settled!

Hoping everyone is doing ok xxx

Hi all - hope all the problems are getting sorted for you - Wee Burd I suffered terribly with acid reflux on first FEC and am on Omeprazole- not a hint of it since - can recommend - can buy a version of it from high street chemists called Nexium. 

I have been feeling really well on this second round of T and have been away for a few days in our Motorhome- it was bliss, cycling, walking, birdwatching, fresh air and general chilling - feel very refreshed and ready to tackle last cycle next week ! Scan tomorrow to check on progress and feeling hopeful there has been shrinkage. Have come back sneezing though and am hoping it’s not going to develop into a cold.

There has been a lot of discussion about exercise and cancer in the news the last few days - https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/may/07/cancer-if-exercise-was-a-pill-it-would-be-prescribed...

What do you think? 

I have tried to keep active as much as I can and don’t expect to be wrapped in cotton wool but there have been days when I have felt so sick or fatigued I couldn’t have managed any exercise. I’m sure keeping active is good for the soul as well as the body but it would be awful if people were made to feel guilty if they weren’t exercising when feeling really ill.

stay well everyone xxx