cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2019 chemo starters

Re: February 2019 chemo starters

Well my beauties, it's chemo day today and to say I'm bricking it is an understatement....just want it over with and to be sat on my sofa watching most haunted.....

if if I am not a writhing wreak on the bathroom floor and my fingers don't have bubonic boils on them I shall endeavour to post later this afternoon......wish me luck! I love you all ( said in an extremely dramatic and diva way) xxxxxx

Hi Implausible 

Sorry hunny did you miss that thread, its an injection to help raise our white blood cells you'll probably know about it all by now?

Hope your doing OK ? I didn't have any problems with mine until the 6 night /early hours woke with terrible pians in my back if only they'd let me take stronger pain relief sooner I probably would have been ok, but instead spent all day yesterday in the chemo unit being checked out they eventually let me take some oxoycodone, my unit says it happens but so much pain was very rare it usually happens on day 1 or 7 and only lasts for 24 hours thankfully it did xx

Oh where has that annoying little bloody Robot gone ? I was just starting to get on with him,  now we just need a save button please, so I still keep losing what I'm writing coz onnce I've checked it or made a mistake with buttons you've guessed it, it's gone xx

Hi Sarah, hopefully you've now had time to touch the ground and keep running like the rest of although now slower, it's an unwanted and long journey but hopefully the end results will be well worth it. There's so much information on here it's really great to be able to dip in and out of the other forums, I've been trying to follow an alkaline eating plan and increasing my fruit and veg haha its not easy coz I hate fruit and veg but made much easier by making smoothies and soups,, then I went and spoilt it by having a subway, then macdonolds the day after chemo,, Anyway only meant to say good luck and welcome xx

Morning Rosina , hope today goes well with chemo and the cold cap  don't forget a wolly hat, I couldn't try it unfortunately as I suffer terrible from migraines., I'm 11 days from first chemo now and doing well I keep checking my hair and nails, nails ridged but hair seems OK but beginning to think I had it cut shorter far too early but never mind I had to be positive and productive, big hugs xx

Morning Marlyn, Good luck for today, it really isn't as bad as you think hun xx

Injections are to help the body produce white blood cells into the bone marrow  , mine started on day 3 after chemo for 7 days and I was good until day 6 then experienced pains in my back but apparently this doesn't always happen,, don't forget to ask if you can take more sickness tablets if still needed, xx

Implausible . Jabs in tummy???? What's that all about??? Xxx

Today has been a crazy long day, and hard work!  So I'll go through all today's posts and reply and update properly tomorrow.....

But.....

One thing.....

Nobody told me I have to inject myself in the tummy!!!!!

Hi Rosina,

I hope you are well.

I have the smae book and felt it was brilliant too! espcially with the pointers to ask questions xx

Hi Stargazer1,

You do make me smile - I've now got a vision of someone going around the shops wearing gloves and carrying a bottle of anti-bac! 😅 Don't worry, I'm exactly the same. I was in a shop earlier, pointing at everything I needed while hubby filled up the shopping basket. As soon as he was ready to pay, I ran outside to get away from everyone! It was a bit mental to say the least. The security guard must have wondered what on earth I was doing! 

Hi Marlyn, I applied dark purple nails polish the night before and left it on a for nearly a week afterwards my nails appear ridged now, also been using nail oils and hand cream (don't know if it's all in my head) can't really remember the condition of my nails because they had polish on them. I was advised no gel nails due to infection xx 

Good luck for tomorrow xx I was advised my anti-sickness tablet taken the morning off chemo lasted for 5 days but what they didn't say is that I could have taken another from the packet they gave me to bring away that night if needed xxx

Hi lovely ladies,

In answer to the nails questions, I painted mine the night before chemo and actually asked the nurse how to proceed from there. She said just to remove and reapply as needed. So when they started chipping, I reapplied a fresh coat. So far, so good. And yes, acetone free remover is recommended to retain some moisture. I've also tried to remember to use cuticle oil every day.

Having said all that, it does depend on which drugs you are being treated with as to the extent of nail damage. I've so far had FEC, which apparently isn't as damaging to the nails as Taxotere/Docetaxel which I will have from cycle 4 onwards. 

All that to look forward to!

Hi mjb, you right....non stop fear...yikes!!! Didn't know if removing old varnish was a good idea but then just to keep re applying for 4 months doesn't seem like a good plan either!! Xx

MBJ

Hi Marilyn

I think it's to protect our nails from the light. I think you will need to do it every few days as I did mine a few days ago (as a practice run) and they looked really crappy today. I have also seen that we need to use alcohol free nail varnish remover. I am going to ask at my pre assessment about gel nails as I muchh prefer them but I think it will be a big fat NO. Our bodies are not our own anymore I had to have written permission last week from my BC nurse before the beautician would do a microblafing top up for my eyebrows. I .am sure we will both be glad when we get this first one over with the anticipation (fear) is non stop. 

Hi Ally2019

I completely understand the emotional side with getting your treatment plan, it’s really tough and I hope you feel a bit better about it now. 

I start this Friday and you start Monday, very close to each other. I understand the nervous feelings too, I wake up every morning and for that few seconds it’s not there. I am really scared about Friday, just went and bought a lovely soft blanket to take with me. Shopping for bits and pieces is strangely calming. Then again I love shopping so it’s probably just switching off for a bit. 

You absolutely can do this, us girls are made of strong stuff. 

Take care of yourself and good luck for Monday. xx

Right you lovely lot, what's this black nail varnish about then? Do I apply it tonight ? ( chemo starts tomorrow) then just leave it on the whole 6 cycles? Or do I take it off and re apply weekly? Someone out there who can help me out? Xxx

MBJ

Hi Daisy di

Welcome to our group, the waiting for chemo to start is really hard I have known I would be having chemo since the begining of January and am having my first session next Wednesday. I have had two surgeries a MX with reconstruction and a lymph node clearance. I am trying to keep life normal what ever that is any more?? This week I am going out a lot meeting friends for lunch, shopping etc things I imagine I won't be doing for a while. There is loads of advice on this forum about preparing for chemo and coping during it. Hope to see you on here again spoon. Good luck. 

Hello Clare 

( and co) I got my hair cut short ( it was already a pixie) so I guess it is a fringe less pixie. 

I told my kids ( 14 yr old son and 16 yr old daughter) about the cold cap and said that it is 50% - 50% that it works . My son said ‘do you really want to go all tufty? Might as well just let it all fall out ‘. This made me laugh. I told the Chemotherapy nurse yesterday and she tried her best to get a really good fit for me. 

Tell Anthony you are not going to have a ‘monk look’ was her comment.

We laughed again.The best medicine 🤪

Thanks for the great tips everyone. I’m off to hypnotherapy session number 4 tomorrow. I feel they do help with the anxiety. Trying to keep busy until I have the first chemo under my belt 2 weeks today.......gulp!

MBJ

Hi Marilyn

Good I am glad it went well and you were somewhat reassured by your visit. I know what you mean by blurting it out I did in Boots when I was looking for bicarb toothpaste ! 

Hi SeasideSar 

Thankyou 🤞🏻 for the Emend, I’m already dreading next time but have been assured that is the ‘best’ anti sickness meds, I’m not sure until my review appt what else they will give me. 

I know what you mean about buffets I’m not keen on them at the best of times but will certainly avoid them at the moment. 

I was thinking pasta or pizza without any salad on the side in case it’s not washed properly 😂 oh gosh so much to think about. 

Im about to pop to the shops, I want to wear gloves (in case of germs) 😂 & a hat (to cover my greasy unwashed hair) but it’s too warm, oh my goodness how my life has changed! My new accessory is anti bac gel 😂😂 xxx

MBJ

Hi Sonia

Sorry you have been feeling so crap. Yes we must a avoid people with germs but avoiding hubby is difficult, been trying it for 44 years love him. Get well soon, hope the wig shopping goes well. 

MBJ

Hi Claire

This does sound catchy bit like a pop duo. I am having FEC-T much against the grain I must say. Seriously  though good wishes for tomorrow. Let us all know how you get on. X

Hi Ladies,

I had my first FEC last wednesday, with the cold cap, and by Saturday I began to feel better, until I picked up a virus from my husband. ( I was checked at the hospital on Sunday and given pecautionary IV antiboltics, my bloods were okay) When they say avoid, I can not state clear enough try and stay away. Yesterday was the my lowest, I now have thrush, GP checked me over as was concerned about they way i sounded and to be honest probably looked Smiley Happy  I was exhausted from coughing, and can't sleep. I spent most of the day in tears. Today I feel like i have a cold, still coughing but i feel there is light at the end of the tunnel. Next time anyone has sniffles when i have chemo, either I leave the house or they do.

Roll on feeling better, Im off to choose my wig tomorrow as a back up.

Hello beauties,

well, had my pre assessment this morning, and have got to say it did put my mind at rest. The chemo lounge is lovely bright and sadly busy...

It all kicks off tomorrow at 1 o clock....I will be having fec via a cannula with a nurse sat with me syringing it in...one after the other....it's supposed to take around an hour....( that's without the faff factor) 

well, I suppose I will never be ready for this chemo game but will just have to put on my big girl pants....reading all your posts help me no end, just knowing I am not the only one helps...

ps decided to pop to marks after assessment to cheer myself up with a top, the assistant said...oh what a lovely top for valentine day...doing anything nice? To which I replied.....if you call having chemo nice! Poor girl....but sometimes I can't help myself.....I blame it on the chemo! Xxx

Okay I've looked up FEC and I'm not having that - I'm HER2+ and am having pertuzamab and trastuzumab (catchy) tomorrow and then docetaxel the next day, then after that they will all be given together every three weeks. Is anyone else having this, or has had this - wondering if the side effects are different from FEC... 

Hi ladies after diagnosis in October and 3 operations later I finally get to start chemo in a couple of weeks so hopefully will be a late starter to this thread.  I am ready ...

Hello Everyone, 

Got my info session this afternoon and then treatment starts tomorrow and Friday (does anyone else have their first one across two days?). What is FEC and how does everyone else but me know exactly what they'll be on! Am also wondering what the dark nail polish is for, should I be doing that today in preparation? Have just had a nice short haircut in preparation for the cold cap - am really hoping it works for me as I have fine hair and I don't want to freak my son out. 

Was feeling very anxious, but yesterday, finally, got all the bone scan and CT results in and they are all clear. My husband was elated, but I still feel a bit numb about it all. Just want to get this out of the way, though am also dreading years of taking drugs when I've always been so careful to never put horrible things in my body. I realise this is a petty concern in the scheme of things, but I'm the type of person who can't drink coffee because it makes me jittery and am wondering what on earth the drugs will do to me. 

Hey ho. Good luck to everyone else out there and thank you to those who are posting a week or so ahead, it's very comforting to have any information at all. 

Clare, x

Hi Stargazer1

Glad to hear you're doing OK. Sorry to hear the sickness was bad for you. I hope Emend helps you - it stopped me from being sick but I was given 2 additional anti-sickness meds as well.

The lunch question is a difficult one. I was told to avoid restaurants on days 7 to 14 when your immunity is at its lowest. I was also told to avoid buffets at all costs as you never know who's been messing with them! Like you, I was hoping to have a bit of restaurant food during this week but I am not sure it is worth the risk. Week 3 is meant to be the best time to plan anything so I may postpone until then. The joys of chemo 😯

MBJ

Hi Rosina

I agree about the book it's very good. But I am not sure if a cheap wig from Tesco should put you off for ever. Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how it went. 

MBJ

Hi Rosina

I agree about the book it's very good. But I am not sure if a cheap wig from Tesco should put you off for ever. Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how it went. 

Hello again,

I plan to try the ‘cold cap ‘ tomorrow. I am also going to take a thermos flask of warm water with fresh ginger added.

Fruit pieces: pineapple.

I have just ordered a sleep cap and a sporty cap from 

https://www.suburbanturban.co.uk/

as even with the cold cap it sounds like the hair follicles need some TLC.

I will take my winter beanie tomorrow ( the one I normally wear). I don’t do wigs. Dressed up as a witch at school for Halloween and it was the wig of long black hair (from Tesco’s) that drove me nuts.

The ‘Complete Guide to Breast Cancer ‘ by Professor Trisha Greenlalgh and Dr. Liz O’Riordan is the BEST book I have read on the subject ( my husband bought me at least 6 titles over the Christmas Break- no I didn’t ask for any, I would rather read fiction!!!).

It explained everything very clearly. I highly recommend it.

Morning ladies & a warm welcome to our new ladies

Day 6 for me after my first session of FEC on Thursday, not all plain sailing but I’ve got through & am feeling ‘almost’ normal today.

Its important to remember that everyone’s experience is different. The positives.... The hospital staff were great, the treatment was ok, the cold cap was doable, I felt ok afterwards.

I was so sure that as I didn’t suffer from pregnancy sickness I wasn’t likely to have chemo sickness unfortunately this didn’t apply to me, vomiting afterwards leading to anti sickness injection & a visit to hospital. I’ve been reassured that my meds will be changed to Emend, which I’ve seen mentioned on here, and hopefully it won’t happen again. Thankfully I was able to eat & drink normally-ish from Monday. 

I too have gone off coffee although I keep making & trying it & find some smells unbearable.

I took a headband with me for the cold cap, it’s worn under the cap over your ears & forehead to protect them from the cold. The hosp has a spray leave in conditioner. I wore it for 30 minutes before & (different for everybody) a long 2 hours after, but it went quickly.

I found sucking a mint during the metallic part of my treatment helped.

So far I’ve kept the ulcers at bay using mouthwash after eating & have been drinking diluted pineapple juice,  so far so good.

I’m hoping to go out for lunch tomorrow but am becoming paranoid about germs. Will the salad be washed correctly? What if someone has a cold?

What does everyone think?

Good luck, best wishes & hugs to everyone starting treatment this week xxxx

Wow this is a busy thread! A warm welcome to all the new people!

I know how overwhelming this whole chemo thing is but Trixielady is spot on by saying take things one day at a time. Before you start it is a good time to get stocked up with various remedies, etc. However, you just can't predict everything. The weirdest thing for me has been the taste changes and cravings. Everything I've eaten since session 1 has to have cheese on it! I have gone off tea and coffee which is awful for me as I used to get through a good 8 cuppas a day!

I did try the cold cap and haven't lost any hair yet but it is still early days (am now on day 9) so I'll let you know if that changes.

Good luck with assessments and upcoming treatments. Xxx

Take some mints to chemo, especially if having FEC

Sorry, the message went without me finishing it...! I read Lis O'riordan's book Complete guide to breast cancer... £10 on amazon and I found it very helpful. Xx

Hi Jeanette, with regard to lists of what you need, I found Tick it off breast cancer site useful, there's a whole section on useful tips for chemotherapy. I also read Liz O'Roidan, s book

MBJ

Hi Jeanette

Welcome to the group, I am starting my chemo on 20th February pre assessment ion Monday. So like you I am still waiting to start. This is a supportive,informative and yes funny group to belong to. I know we would rather not belong to it but at least we have all found each other. Because no one family or friends can know how we feel in the same was as all of the other girls on here .so welcome and look forward to sharing with you. 

Good luck at your preassessment Marlyn!  I have mine this afternoon.

As for a definitive list of things to do before chemo starts, I haven't seen anything that neatly lists stuff as such.

But what I've picked up from the docs and on here:

Get a flu jab at least a week before

Have a dentist check up and ask them to look for any problem areas/potential signs of infection 

Have your hair cut shorter if you are going to be trying the cold cap, to minimise the weight tugging on the follicles

Actually decide if you want to do the cold cap or not (I still can't make my flipping mind up! Smiley Happy )

Get a wig sorted and some nice soft hats and stuff

Buy various mouthwashes and toiletries as advised throughout this thread.   And anti travel sickness wristbands, and dark nail varnish.

Get your fluid intake up, drink as much water as you can, especially day before, day of and day after chemo.

And, well, try not to worry too much!  Easier said than done, that bit!

I'm sure there are a ton of things I have forgotten.

Morning all you beauties,

just off to my pre chemo assessment, start proper tomorrow like! Eek!!!! Catch you all later xxxx

Hi Everyone that's new at the moment, welcome and good luck for up and coming chemo xx

It's the fear of the unknown but on here we're working well together, there's so many differentences. All I can advise is you take it one day at a time and bare in mind it just might or might not happen to you. Haha in my case it does. 

Hi everyone, I’m starting FEC-T on 27th Feb.  Pre assessment on 25th. I’m just wondering if anyone has found a link anywhere to a list of “must have/must do” before treatment starts? I’ve not had chance to read through the whole thread yet but I have spotted some good info already. Just wanted to say hello really and to let you know I’m comforted by all these kindred spirits as I’m feeling extremely nervous at the moment. 

Jeanette x

Just for infomation, Have use dGoogle translate  to translate part of the article from chinese  to English.....

February 4th is World Cancer Day. Let's talk about the latest research findings on cancer today. I believe many people have heard that eating too many bean products, such as tofu, soy milk or natto, will develop breast cancer, but at the same time, I have heard that eating beans can prevent cancer. Which one is correct? The latest finding is: Both are correct.

After the cancer is recovered, the beans are eaten. The risk of recurrence increases.

However, the study was not over. After the research team cured all the cancer-bearing mice and then given them the ginseng flavonoid food, it found an interesting phenomenon: those mice that had been taking the ginseng flavonoid food as the staple food had only 7% after rehabilitation. The chance of cancer recurrence; but other mice that ate the generin flavonoids after recovery, had a 33% chance of recurrence. The results showed that mice that did not normally eat bean food habits, if they suddenly eat legumes after the recovery of cancer, the cancer recurrence rate will be higher than those who have eaten legumes regularly.

Professor Leena Hilakivi-Clarke, who is in charge of research, said that they are temporarily unable to explain why this phenomenon is possible, but it is estimated that this is related to the immune system: "Ginkgo flavonoids can make the immune system work against cancer cells, but if the mice do not By pre-launching this mechanism, the generin is a catalyst for cancer."

"We have answered a long-standing myth from this experiment. Many people will suggest that cancer patients and cancer curers avoid eating legumes. Our answer is: If you don't usually eat beans, you really need to avoid contact. Bean food; but if you are used to eating beans, you should continue to eat to further reduce the chance of cancer recurrence." However, there is no explanation for how much food is usually eaten. In fact, soy isoflavones are described in addition to cancer, and are also indicated to have a positive effect on the treatment of menopausal discomfort, women's health and prevention of osteoporosis. This experiment shows that legumes are eaten harmless and there is no need to stop because of cancer.

MBJ

Hi Sarah

I bought 2 soft hair bands yesterday in boots. I think we are meant to wear them forward on our foreheads, I think it's for comfort. If you have not seen them then I recommend the Victoria Derbyshire videos of her going through chemo and using the cold cap .she wears a headband and you can see it's on her forehead so away from her hair line. Well I will be thinking of you next week, two of you one Monday then Tuesday and me last lap on Wednesday. Gosh I can't believe it's real still most of the time. Really dreading it like I know everyone else must be. Mainly the fear of the unknown, I can't even imagine how I am going to feel, I hate a hangover so much that I hardly drink at all. Now the NHS is giving me a Megga hangover for free. 😞🤕💩💩

yes. agreed there is a long debate on soya bean consumption. A doctor in Hiong Kong has recommended max 260cc soy milk daily. (Not able to copy and paste the article...in chinese )

Hi Sarah, 

Thank you, I really appreciate it xx 

lovemama - that's really interesting information.  I'm veggie so I have a fair few soya based products, my doc hadn't said anything about avoiding them.  There is so much confusing and sometimes contraditory info about diet!

PS best of luck for Monday!  we're only a day apart.....  it's part scary and part I just want to get on with it.

Hi , just pop in. No idea how to start a conversion but ony to reply.

I am on 'T'-axol/Purjeta/Herceptin and  usually refer to www.foodforbreastcancer.com for my diet during chemo.. On the home page after clicked on Taxol, the below list would be shown.

Foods and other products that should not be used during Taxol chemotherapy

The following foods and supplements have been found either to interfere with the effectiveness of Taxol or, in the case of raw shellfish, should not be consumed by those with impaired immunity:

Açaí berries Caffeine, any source Capers Clementine juice Coffee, regular or decaf Dong quai or angelica sinensis supplements Fish oil supplements Garlic supplements Genistein supplements Goji berries Goldenseal supplements Green tea or EGCG supplements

Grapefruit Jia-Wei-Xiao-Yao-San supplements Multivitamins & antioxidant supplements Mangosteen Noni Pineapple Quercetin supplements Sage Highly salty foods Shellfish, raw St. John's Wort

And, on the home page , click on soya beans under the 'Alphabetical food' menu and below info could be found

• On the other hand, a small Korean study reported that soybean and soy isoflavoneconsumption was found to be associated with increased risk of recurrence among women with HER2/neu overexpressing (HER2+) tumors, whereas it reduced risk of relapse in women with HER2- disease.
  • In addition, a 2018 study reported that soymilk consumption was associated with increased breast density, a strong breast cancer risk factor, among premenopausal women.

(posted before in other thread) Coincident or whatever, at beginning of last year, due to diabetic, I started to take at least 1L soy milk daily and high  dose bee propolis and in 1 month, i felt back pain and after, was diagnosed BC recurrence on sternum.  ,

PS. the professors in my son's medical school tend to believe soya bean is good for people that never have BC. But once diagnosised, soy bean is not recommended.