cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2019 chemo starters

Re: February 2019 chemo starters

Trixie I hope you feel better soon.  

I think my doc said I have to call if temp goes below 35 or over 37.5   , I have it written down somewhere.  There's so much to remember/stress about! Smiley Sad

Hi Seaside Sar, Hope you don't mind me dropping in, so to  speak, I'm on day 9 after chemo and cold cap.  Would love to know how things are at day 14. Like you I feel pretty nervous too. In process of getting a wig, just in case. Even if I keep enough hair I will need something to cover the badger look as my coloured hair gradually becomes striped with grey🐺.

Hi Implausible, 

That's what I done on Friday checking wig didn't move but then I put it down to having hair x 

Yesterday my temperature was low and never changed much all day put it down to having been out on Friday  only had 3 single Gins. Today got a headache and checked temp before taking paracetamol to find it below 35, double checked it still low so decided to ring emergency line to find out that apparently we're supposed to ring when it falls below 36 if feeling unwell because they are supposed to take you in for checks nobody had said so please be careful ladies. I've asked if I could stay at home for a while to see if it changes I can for now as I'd be a more risk at the hospital xx

Implausible - Love your wig, you look amazing! Enjoy the seaside xxx

You must have more of a head for alcohol than me, that much would put me on the floor! Smiley Very Happy

I'm the same with the food shopping, if my taste buds are all going to change, how do I know what to stock up on? Smiley Happy

I'm doing an experiment today, have got one of my cool wigs on and heading to the seaside to see if it blows off! Smiley Very Happy  If it does, no harm done as I still have my actual hair underneath Smiley Happy

20190217_105312-picsay.jpg

Night out was good! Not too many drinks... couple of cocktails and four bog standard ones, I’m starving now!! Just gonna eat as normal today and see what happens, rather have a good day today than sit here feeling empty and stressed!

More concerned about not knowing what to put on the shopping list to eat during the week!

I think there’s a bit of a break between chemo and rads as our immunity has to build up again ..what a bloody pain it all is 🙄 I think I’m finishing chemo @ June 20th as I’m not doing the entire 12 weekly one. No way!

Ha!

What a coincidence.

I'll let you know when I have my dates.

Sarah

I’m getting it there too! It’s fab place. Really nice people and top equipment!  I’m in OX4Smiley Happy  10 mins away xx might even have same person. Well I never! 

I've had a bit of a wobble today too, not like me, I've been mainly ok up until now, I think it's because it is getting so close now.  

The place I'm having radio is a private clinic called Genesis Care.  My work insurance is paying for it.  Not sure exactly where it is but it's in OX4

Wow! I’m very near hospital! Is it John Radcliffe or Churchill?

It’ll be a few cuppas and a massive hug waiting for you! 😘😘 I start a week Thursday so not far behind xxx feeling a bit nervy tonight... been fine all day🥴

Sissy you're in Oxford?  That's where I'll be having my radiotherapy as I'm just down the road in Swindon and we don't have a radiotherapy facility here.  Small worldSmiley Happy

I start chemo Tuesday.  I guess I could fast up Monday but I don't know if it would be worth the effort.  Other half wants to take me out for a nice meal tomorrow and he would not approve of me starving myself for 2 days especially given the chemo nurse expressly telling me not to!

If I get rotten side effects this first time around though, I'll give it a bash next time.  Can't do any harm I guess. 

Hi Rosina, 

Cheers, I will try it xx 

Hi Sissy60, 

Thank you, I will try it. I’m about to do some reading, so I will also share what I find. 

I hope that you have a great evening xx 

It does indeed Sarah... but at least we know there’s an end to it.. holding on to that. And how we keep our peckers up throughout (def not that kind of pecker thanks😂). There’s something so weird about feeling so well and knowing in a short time it’ll be zombieland. I like that article though! It’s so honest and she didn’t have anything major go bad.. and she didn’t have a band to rehearse like we have!🎤🎹🎸🎸👩‍🎤💃 or a circus gig🎪 And the second chemo seemed ok. I think she was properly depressed as her husband had got killed the year before🙇‍♀️ So that must’ve made it all feel worse too. Not lucky😳

A statistician omg that’s impressive as I’ve been going through the oncotype stats for ages working out that they used different trials to get to the RS score. And altered the intermediate score. It literally is statistics in action informing our treatment protocols so I was desperate to understand it! But not a maths gal... was an actress who failed maths  gcse but do long to understand it as Ive been studying philosophy and that gets quite mathematical !. Put my course on hold for nowSmiley Sad I was so shocked when doc said only 15 women out of 100 like me would benefit from chemo. I had no idea they did it like that and 85 don’t need or benefit.. but it’s stats again innit?! The doctor could NOT tell me how much my 19% recurrence risk would go down to by doing chemo. I asked so many times!

What day are u starting? You could just light eat day before ..it all helps , but some ok without fasting anyway but our immune system kicks back in quicker with the fasting. I have IBS and get acid so need to protect my guts from the chemicals. I’ve not known anyone with chemo brain so don’t worry about that - and there’s literally a swarm of women around my area had breast cancer. 4 in my small road alone! Yep.. Oxford is a hotspot.

Oh Edinbird, have a fabulous night out just Becareful  the hangover doesn't run over into Monday if you do drink xx

Just Becareful with pub toilets handwashing remains important because I'm sure they check your white blood cells for infection before starting chemo on Monday at least they did me  .Have lost of fun xx

Edinbird, have a great night out!!  I kind of wish I had a similar "last big bash" to go to Smiley Happy

As for that Guardian article.  Gosh, she certainly doesn't sell the whole chemo experience!

I'm already too late to fast for 72 hours before, so I'm going to see how the first cycle goes, if it's utterly awful, I'll maybe try the fasting on the second one....  I really don't like being hungry though!  I'm usually panic if I'm more than 2 hours away from a snack Smiley Happy

The chemo brain bit is a worry.  I really need to get back to work soon, and my job is very brain heavy! (I'm a statistician, it's all heavy maths).  Months of barely being able to follow Jeremy Kyle doesn't sound encouraging!  

Ugh.  It's all so daunting, not knowing how it will affect each of us, everyone's experience seems different....

Daisydi attempting to send link. This article swung it for me and has great other handy hints: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jun/03/how-to-get-through-chemotherapy-decca-aitkenhead-can...

I’m just on the bus off for a night out in Edinburgh with my team from work...! So the opposite of fasting! Someone has just coughed up into a crisp packet behind me 🤢😷

Been booked for a couple of weeks I only knew chemo starts on Monday on Wednesday! Loads of us at work have been having a rough time for loads of reasons but I know it’s the last time I might see them for a week or so at least so want to have fun but don’t want to get upset or pick up germs!!

I don’t have kids and they’re my team (I’m the manager) so I feel bad I won’t be about so much to look out for them and sort out their issues. Determined to try to work when I can so I can keep in touch and some normality I hope 🤞

Thanks will have a look