61211members
322759posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2019 chemo starters

Re: February starters 2019 - yes, we rule!

Jencat ps....my mum and dad went to Grammar schools in Dartford. Do you know if they still exist? X

Wow! Small world  I used to have lots of family in the Dartford area but most have either passed away or moved elsewhere now.  My older brother was born at the Livingstone hospital in 1953. My dad’s family lived on Summerhill Road in Dartford. I had relations living in Shepherds Lane. My mum was born in a house on Powdermill Lane, I think. (Just in case you know any of these places. In later years my Nanna lived in Common Lane, Wilmington. I used to love staying there. Lots of children around to play with, the common at the bottom of the road  and a sweetshop at the top. Lots of lovely memories. My mum never lost her Dartford accent even though she left there in the 1950’s. Xx

Nettienoo, I was born in Dartford! At the Livingstone Hospital-it's for elderly people now though. I lived in Dartford until I got married, but my mum and dad lived there all their lives and a lot of my family still do x

Implausible, the news about how old the stats are makes perfect sense and is very welcome! 🙌🏻. If there are good pubs around my son’s place, he will be very happy. Although he won’t have as much spare cash to spend on alcohol when he has a mortgage to pay will he? I can’t wait until I can jump in a train to London on my own like I used to. I’m trying to remember what the last thing I went to was. Possibly the Amy Winehouse exhibition that her family put on at the Jewish Museum. I’ve missed out on some good things so far this year but I will be making up for lost time. My mum, dad (although not biological father as I found out at 21, I’ll save that story for another time, it’s a cracker!!!) and older brother were all born in Dartford, very near Orpington. I was born near Tonbridge though. 

Which  lovely ladies in our group are still having chemo? Daisydi? SusieB? I’m wracking my brains here but there aren’t many functioning brain cells left at the moment. I do hope that situation improves when the FEC finally Barrys off or I won’t be safe to be out. X

Morning Edinbird, 

you do rock a red lip 😀

If I had your thinking I may not even step outside the house, correction get out of bed !!!

Flip the thinking, did you see Implausible’s graffiti motto ‘ Worrying is a waste of imagination ‘ ?

I highly recommend meditation. 

Book in lots of nice treats for yourself.

On Saturday evening after my gardening stint, I enjoyed a bath and put a face mask on x2 just for the hell of it .

Marlyn , rant all you want. I also thought it would be nice to have a sister, so there you go.

I used to have a colleague at work who introduced me to a great phrase ( we have lots of crazy directives that want us to ‘ jump through hoops ‘ ) 

it was ‘ another one for your Fxxxit bucket ‘. So I mentally dump things there 🤪

Nettinoo hope you are feeling stronger. Yes, I can empathise with the anxiety bit . I was worrying about driving long distances until recently I got lost driving back home ( sort of as a test chose to go another way for the he’ll of it , confused the satnav - ) got back home eventually but an hour later. Wasn’t that bad and now I don’t care about that either.

image.jpg

Reading this image.jpgAn excellent read

I am now in the early 60s with early chemotherapy trials for children with leukaemia see quotes in photo 1 .

Chin up everyone 🤩

Morning all

I'm sat on a train to big London town, giving myself a day off the craft room makeover and going to see the Stanley Kubrick exhibition at the Design Centre.  I've been excited about this one ever since they first announced it.

There are lots of VERY LOUD and ANNOYING children on the train seeing as it is the summer hols.  When did I get so intolerant of kiddie noise?  I used to be quite happy to hear them and able to tune them out enough to read a book.  I guess that was when I had kids that age myself, I'm out of practice!

Going to try to catch up with you all before I hit Paddington, if I can concentrate above all the screeching Smiley Happy

MBJ, your doggo is absolutely gorgeous!  I can't wait till I retire as then I'll be able to get a dog.  Not fair for me to have one now as I'm out of the house too much.

Marlyn....  well you know you'll get sympathy from me on the unhelpful sister front!!!  The old adage is true, you can choose your friends, but not your family.... 

I'm so used to my family dynamic with my sister being a little odd though, that I guess it hasn't seemed any more so since the breast cancer hit.

My disappointment has been more with my two oldest sons (both in their late 20s).  Neither is contacting me any more than they used to (and the baseline is pretty much hardly ever).  And neither has asked me how I'm getting on with treatment etc, and when I mention it first they seem fairly disinterested!  Maybe they are trying to pretend it isn't happening, I do get that, but it comes across to me like they don't care....  even though I know they do.   Ah well.
Families!!!!

I suspect it is a similar thing with your sister, she is scared for you (and possibly for herself!! Family history and all that) and it is easier to brush it under the carpet.... 

Different people react to the whole cancer thing in different ways.  I noticed that my facebook friend count went down overnight by 15 or so the day I came clean about my diagnosis.  I think people still find the very thought so scary that they just don't want any reminder that it even exists....  which is ironic really as BC overall has a better "cure" rate than some other illnesses that people don't get quite so hysterical about...it is that whole emotional response....

Edinbird, looking very glam at the Fringe last night! 

Susie- I wonder if the lack of empathy thing is more common with blokes (your brother, my sons), as they see it as a "ladies" disease maybe?  Although that doesn't explain Marlyn's sis!

And yes I know we still have a lot of treatment still to come, plus worries about it coming back etc, but I still reckon we will all have a much better 2020 than we have in 2019!  This has been/ still is a tough old year!!!  I already feel a hundred times better now that the chemo is (largely) out of my system.  Although I did notice when I finally took off my black nail varnish this morning, that my nails are all discoloured, as a few of you have mentioned before.  It is kind of manky looking, like I'm a chain smoker!  Must redo the nail varnish tomorrowSmiley Happy20190805_095338-picsay.jpg

Trixielady good to hear that the tick bite and wasp sting (double whammy!!) are on the mend.  Hope Trixie wasn't too scared by the storm.

Edinbird glad to hear that the Frank Skinner show was good, albeit sweaty, and a few jokes hitting a little close to home.  It is weird how things suddenly make you stop and think like a bolt to the head.

I am not so much *worried* about recurrence, as I'm a statistician by trade and I respect the odds.  If they are in my favour then I won't worry about something till it happens.  But I have definitely found that I'm much more aware of my mortality than I used to be.  I have started to plan my funeral and make notes about the best places to sell off my books and other stuff if I die... daft stuff like that.  Not something I ever thought about doing before.  And hopefully still a bit premature!  Oddly the thought doesn't upset me as such (probably because those odds still are in my favour!), I'm just in kind of practical mode with it all. 

Maybe that's just my own way of dealing with the worries....  address them practically rather than letting them upset me?  The human brain is very good at compartmentalising.

Enjoy your last day at work.  It is odd isn't it being in and out of work.  I'll be glad when I'm finally back for good after my October op, and can get back into the office routine properly.

Jencat glad that you have found counselling useful since coming to the end of active treatment.  I am a huge fan of talking therapy, and am planning to treat myself to a few sessions next year.  In the meantime I'm booked on a 6 week course at Maggies starting in September that is all about coming to terms with the "new normal" and moving forward after treatment.... should hopefully be helpful.

Nettienoo - even more so than the stats being based on recurrence rates "now", my onco reminded me that actually they are even older.  The 10 year recurrence stats are based on women who had their treatment at least 11 years ago, and they are improving that treatment all the time.....  so all the stats really need to be viewed as a "worst case scenario"....

Oooh I know the street where your son's flat is, in the Old Market area.  Very nice!!!  Well nice from my point of view as there are some great pubs there and good street art too Smiley Happy

I get where you are coming from with travel nerves.  I was like that for a few months but I seem to have got past that now.  I think because I was feeling so feeble I didn't want to go anywhere on my own as if anything bad happened I wouldn't be up to running away!  The brain is daft sometimes. 

I'll leave you with some photos from yesterday, went for a nice long walk along the river near Reading and also saw some new street art in the open air gallery under the M32....  it was cool to see that someone has spray painted baby  Oskar's name at the top of a couple of the walls!  Smiley Very Happy

20190804_144041-picsay.jpg

20190804_143926-picsay.jpg

20190804_144203-picsay.jpg

20190804_144351-picsay.jpg

20190804_154905-picsay.jpg

Take care all

Sarah x

PS I am an Essex girl, but my aunties were in Kent, in Petts Wood (near Orpington)

Where were you born in Kent Nettienoo? I was born in Kent and still live there x

Edinbird, you looked gorgeous on your night out. I wish I could wear a red lip without looking like “mutton dressed as lamb”😂 . You’ve got a lot happening in the next few weeks so you are bound to be feeling worried/anxious/bit down but you are doing amazingly well considering all the sh*t going down. What you must remember is that every single week new discoveries are being made in the cancer field. What you are looking at are percentages for likely reoccurrence now but these change and improve all the time with new discoveries for treatment etc. All these trials going on just show how much time and effort is being put into the research. I think we all have a tendency to google stuff and take it as gospel too and a lot of the info is already out of date due to research going on. 

Marlyn, your sister sounds very like my mother in law. To be honest, we have never got on in the 38 years I’ve known her. She is one of these people who wants to be centre of attention ALL the time and hates anyone taking attention off her. This has been evident so many times over the years. She has zero empathy herself but expects it from others. Some of the little comments she has made in the very few times (I avoid her as much as possible even though she lives locally) I have been in her company during the whole bc treatment time have floored me completely. I’m a great believer in Karma though. Her attitude will come back and bite her on the bum one day. Do you reckon your sister may be a bit jealous of the extra attention you have had recently? 

Trixielady, was Trixie ok after the thunder and lightening? Poor love. I dread storms coming with my two. 

MBJ loved the photos what a good looking lot and little Alfie....what a beaut. 

Imp, how lovely to welcome a new little man into the family, we need to see a pic of you with him soon though. Huge pat on the back for getting back to swimming etc and the weight loss. 🙌🏻. My son is buying a duplex apt in a converted old brewery. I think the address is Lawford Street? It looks lovely. He is currently surveying in the Gulf of Mexico and won’t be back in UK until the end of August but will hopefully get the keys soon after he returns.

What has everyone else got going on this week? I know there are still rads, ops etc but not exactly sure where everyone is up to at the moment. 

Nick and I (and doggies) are taking the caravan to Kent next Monday for a week. We might go somewhere else for a few days after that but not sure where. I was actually born in Kent although grew up in Cheshire. I scattered my mum’s ashes in a river running through the village of Eynsford two years ago and I feel the need to go and see her! We are staying on a site near Tonbridge which is fairly central so hope to do a bit of sightseeing (if I can get some strength back in my legs). It will be the first time away from Staffordshire since treatment so feel a tad nervous. Not sure why really. Anyone else felt like that?

Love you all my dear friends. Thanks for getting me through so far. Xxxx

I haven't got a sister Marlyn and had often thought it must be nice to have one, but I've come to realise that even if you have, friends can be more supportive sometimes xxx

Morning Edinburd, just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. It is horrible having this fear of recurrence looming over us. I'm TN like you. When I was having radiotherapy I was told it gave me a two-thirds chance of the cancer not returning, which are the same stats as you really, but put that way it sounded a lot better! I finished my radiotherapy last June and have had some counselling since, which has helped.

I hope your last day of work goes well and also your op on Wednesday  x

MBJ

Hi Edinbird

Good luck today for your last day for a while. Take it day by day, just cope with what you have to get through next. I know dealing and living with it all is c..p and I look at other women and wonder what it was like to live without the pit of fear all the time as I can't remember. But we are all here together in this so on to your next stage of treatment and no looking back or too far forward. Blimey I am the worst person to give advice on living in the moment   little Miss Worrier that's me.xx

Morning all xx just about to get up for my last day of work for however long... quite tired from last night but when am I not?! A sleeping pill and a Nytol together seems to be the way to go but I can’t take any more after tonight so I’m clear for the anaesthetic. Boo.

The show was good but absolutely roasting inside I was dripping with sweat. Frank Skinner told a few jokes about his age and I just sat there feeling a bit sick thinking I’m not going to get to 62 - I can’t even think beyond 45 with the stats the way they are and my crap response to chemo 😢 I know percentage wise more survive than don’t but a 30% chance of recurrence is Barry. Extremely Barry.

Anyway, last chance to actually influence my new job today then going to our friend’s gig this evening. Gonna be busy so speak to you all later xx big hugs for any rads or pills or infusions going on this week 🤗

Oh Marlyn its rotten when people appear so flippant about BC even more so when its your own sister had similar from my sister in law until a friends sister actually died, its such a strange feeling we don't want to be wrapped up in cotton wool but for others to think we're better now can be so frustrating when we've got such a long way to go and probably even more so mentally not knowing how its going to map out from one year to another

Implausible thanks hubby's tick bite and wasp string is doing well swelling has gone down but has another 2 weeks of antibiotics. Photo is lovely of your partner and baby.

MBJ, I'm on letrozole but also herceptin but hopefully things or starting to improve. Loving the pink hair, it must be you rock choir chicks as my friend is also in a choir and has pink hair xx

Edinbird hope your having a wonderful time 

Omg its starting to thunder and lightning here gotta go Trixie doesn't like it, thinking about you all xx

Hi Marlyn

No apologies required. Rant as much as you like. My brother is no better. We've never been close but when I told him about my diagnosis he just said "I won't ask how you are, enquire about your health, etc" and he hasn't. Not once. Not even contacted me after I had my surgery  or enquired about my on going treatment. On the other hand I try to keep up to date with his arthritis which he wad diagnosed with when he was in his thirties (He's 58 now). The type he has doesn't normally affect people at such a young age. I also made sure he was ok when he had a hernia op a couple of years ago, so it's not as though I ignored him when he had/has health problems. Now I don't bother to update him with what's going on by text, phone call or email. I've given up. I'm just waiting to see what happens at Xmas. I think he and my mum are expecting to come and stay with us for a few days. I know they'll both say "At least this Xmas is going to be better than your last one". You know the kind of comment I mean. Er no, fear of recurrence, 3 monthly check ups for lymphodeama, Zolodronic acid infussions, annual scans and goodness knows what else. As you say unless you've been in our situation I don't think people really understand how bc or indeed any kind of cancer effects us. All I can say is thank goodness for you wonderful ladies in this February group. Oh dear, now I seem to have had a rant too😠😠😤☹. 

Will catch up with you all tomorrow. Lovely to hear from you Edinbird. 

Loving you all to bits❤❤❤❤❤     

Thank you jencat,

shes always been a bit of a cold fish but her attitude has floored me somewhat.....she lives in her own bubble and has never been very good at empathy.....just didn't realise how detached she really was....until now...

xxxx

MBJ

Edinbird

You look great have a wonderful evening. X

Marlyn that’s rubbish. Don’t let her get you down.

Out for the fringe just had tapas but it was all eaten too quick for photos (and I don’t want to be a Barry in the restaurant).

Going to see Frank Skinner in an hour then home to bed - had a half decent nights sleep last night with both over the counter sleeping pill plus Nytol! Then last day of work until however long I’m signed off for...

Cheers everyone happy Sunday 💕

CB3197FF-CBBC-4DEB-94B7-5C4EC67E2BC9.jpeg

281195B8-70B9-4D5E-8AA7-37438A293DF6.jpeg

Btw Let’s Kill Half The World is our friend’s show! 😁

Hi Marlyn, I hope you don't mind me commenting as I'm not in your group, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am that your sister has reacted to your cancer in this way. Sadly a lot of people seem to have no idea of what we're going/been through. I think you're right in not messaging your sister and maybe if she's not heard from you for a while, she might wonder why and realise how insensitive she's been to you xx

MBJ

Hi Marlyn

Thanks yes the photos are a forever memory of a lovely day. I think you are right about leaving your sister alone, you don't need any negativity in your life. Xx

Mbj, nothing you or anyone here could ever say anything that would upset me....I needed to let off steam as I know you all understand...

your right about concentrating on people who have been with me the whole time. Sadly my sister hasn't...I've already made up my mind not to message her again, I will wait for her to come to me...

your not being harsh, your being honest.....she hasn't been behaving like a sister at all....

your photos are beautiful.....xxxxx

MBJ

Dear Marlyn

I am so sorry your sister is so unsupportive and actually quite unfeeling by the sound of it. I really hope my pictures of me with my sister have not made you feel even worse. 

Concentrate on the people in your life that are there for you through think and thin, that love you with all that Barrying BC has brought you. Don't bother to message her again I think it's up to her to make that move. Maybe she will need support one day as no one knows what the future holds. She obviously is clueless about what you have been through and are still dealing with and is really not worthy of your time and energy at the moment. I hope that's not too harsh as I realise she is your sister but sadly she is not behaving like one.

Afternoon ladies, 

im really sorry but I need to rant and get this off my chest ...it's about my sister.....she hasn't been the most supportive of sisters, telling me in the beginning not to poison myself with chemotherapy ( not a good start) but she's hardly been there for me at all these last few months...the last time I heard from her was in May ( her birthday) telling me about her wonderful holiday in jersey ( not one question about me....other than bet your looking forward to being normal again) !!??? 

I looked back over old messages....she has been so flippant, like the breast cancer has been a bunion or a bout of flu.....as I haven't heard from her in ages I thought I'd better pm her ( why she can't pm me I don't know) her reply again was flippant! The last paragraph saying I hope everything is back to normal now and you can get on with your life normally......this I read with short grey chemo hair, spotty skin, blurred vision , aches and pains and hot flushes! Normal???? She really has no sodding idea! Grrrrrrrr.....

sorry butI had get this out ....I know you all understand ......I feel you are all my sisters......xxxxx

MBJ

IMG_20190804_154159.jpgOur wonderful Alfie out with his new friends yesterday. Best dog in the world well to me anyway.

Thanks Implausible and MBJ for sharing, love the cake ( how does one cut a piece of artwork and then eat it ) I can still remember 2 cakes an Aunt of mine made when I was little ( one square shaped all white with pink butterflies in one corner and another year , round with iced biscuit ladies in various pastel coloured dresses holding parasols 🤗 can’t remember eating them or the flavour but I do remember being in awe ⭐️) , love the graffiti sentiment too. Just perfect. 

I got on the phone to select a podcast to listen to as I do the ironing ( thinking of your art supplies sorting Implausible- good luck with it ). 🌸🌸🌸

That cake is amazing!!!!

And I am very jealous indeed of retirement at 55 Smiley Happy  I can't see that happening for me!  

Glad you've had a brilliant weekend, doc

I just popped back in here to share this:Screenshot_20190804-110927_Facebook-picsay.jpg

Not exactly the most technically proficient piece of graffiti ever in an artistic sense, but I do love the sentiment 

Have a good Sunday everyone 

Sarah x

MBJ

Good Morning Girlies.

I can see some of you still have issues with side effects I hope they clear up soon. Don't be afraid of the hormone medication it's absolutely nothing compared to what you have all endured through chemo, but obviously I only have experience of Letrozole.

We have had a busy weekend, Friday night we were invited to an engagement party where I danced the night away. Yesterday was my sister's party for her 30 wedding anniversary/55th birthday/retirement all in one. So lovey to be surrounded by my lovely family and meet some new friends of my sister. Really tired today my eyes feel as if they can hardly open and that's just on soda water and lime!

Our lovely dog went for the day to my son in laws brother and his family. Our dog does not know them well but has met them before. He was a good as gold and had a great day. I love him so much I just wished this morning he could have told be about his day out, bless him. I will post some photos of him later as I forgot to crop them. Here are some photos of my sister's party. The group is of the cousins and their children.Two are missing my nephew Luke who is in Australia working and my son who is keeping Barrying Morrisons open in Bristol.IMG_20190804_103010.jpg

IMG_20190804_103118.jpgKath and Chris with table tennis bats!

IMG_20190804_103045.jpgNot a slimming world day.

Hi everybody

Hope that the weekend is treating you all well. 

Susie, sorry to see that you've had a couple of days feeling down, I honestly think that's a side effect of the T.  I had a real sorry-for-myself phase at around the week 2 mark in every cycle.  I guess it makes sense that it might mess with our brain chemistry as well as everything else. 

In general I have felt so much better in myself mentally since the chemo got out of my system. 
So "bear with", as Miranda's friend used to say.  I promise things will get better.

PS your fruit and veg look great!

Rosina, you asked how New York compares to London and I was about to say that they are chalk and cheese, but when I think about it properly they really aren't.  I guess I see them very differently as I grew up in London and used to work there, so it seems more "everyday" to me, compared to NYC where I am usually on holiday.  (Although I did once work there for a few weeks).

In terms of being an entertainment capital (west end = broadway), they are similar.  And both have a big river and cool bridges.  And both have big impressive landmarks to visit.  And big public green spaces.  And great museums and galleries.  The tube system is very similar too.  London obviously has a lot more history though.  I really love New York.  It is a really vibrant city, everyone has a ton of energy (again, like London).  And there is so much to do and see.  Can't wait to get back out there.

Sonia, I hear you about the teenagers.  Mine are also not cutting me any slack.  Had a bit of a go at them the other day for not helping out more given that I'm "poorly".  They did the dishes that evening but nothing since.  It just doesn't occur to them at all to step up, does it? 

Very impressed with your almost 18k steps!  I haven't done that many in a while.  Although I did do a 45 minute aqua aerobics class yesterday morning followed by a 15 minute swim.  I'm still aching!  Smiley Happy

Daisydi I feel so bad for you not getting home from rads till 9pm! Smiley Sad  thank goodness you (presumably) get the weekend off to recover!

Trixielady how is hubby's tick bite doing?  They can be really nasty Smiley Sad  Hopefully he is responding well to the antibiotics?

Hiya Seaside, good to hear from you, glad it is just sleepiness that has kept you away and nothing more serious.  Big congrats on finishing your rads.  I hope your skin is clearing up where it had started to break out a little.  Glad you managed a nice weekend away.  And that your cat got through scary surgery in one piece.

Rosina, I like your "cognitive override" term.  I've been using that technique pretty much all week, I wanted to get a lot done this week as I've been off work, so each day I've written myself a timetable and to do list and have made myself stick to it like glue even though all I really wanted to do was lounge about and watch telly Smiley Happy  much cognitive override applied to get me off the sofa and running errandsSmiley Happy  End result, one exhausted Sarah but I've got SO MUCH DONE, I do love to be productive!

Nettie great to hear from you too, but sad to read that those FEC side effects have still been battering you Smiley Sad    I hope the Achilles tendon sorts itself out eventually.  I think that the chemo definitely makes things like that heal slower.  I had cramp during chemo and it took over a month to finally stop hurting, I was limping quite badly for about 5 weeks and got rather worried about it!  It did finally go away though.

Wooot for no trip to A and E!!!

Susie I hope you can get that Iceland trip nailed down soon, it is so good to have something to look forward to.

Rosina great job in the garden!

I've also been working hard today, continuing with project "art and craft room clearout".  4th full day and I'm maybe a third of the way to done.  It is definitely still in the "it gets worse before it gets better" stage!  It will be worth it when it is all done.  That's what I keep telling myself.  If it doesn't kill me first Smiley Very Happy

I put my other half to work too, painting the wall at the bottom of the garden.  Cheeky sod said he was done and called me out to inspect it, and this is what I saw:FB_IMG_1564864201606.jpg

DFC is his graffiti tag Smiley Very Happy

Don't worry he has finished it properly since Smiley Happy

We didn't go to see baby Oskar today, as my impatience got the better of me and we went on Thursday instead Smiley Happy  I got lots of cuddles with the little fella but forgot to ask anyone to take a pic.  Here is new grandad Jason instead:20190801_192925-picsay.jpg

And my only other news is that I finally lost a toenail, but I can't really blame the chemo, I stubbed my little toe on the sofa leg and broke the nail and most of it came off.  Annoying.  Bet it will sting in the pool tomorrow.

Oh and I allowed myself a couple of hours off my relentless "get sh$t done" schedule and finished another one of my little collage postcards.  Meet the purple people eater Smiley Happy20190802_172229-picsay.jpg

Night night all
Hope everyone gets a decent sleep.  At least it is cooler now.

Love from Swindonia

Sarah x

Hi Susie,

I know what you mean about treatment seeming to go on forever. I had my first op in November and will have my last Herceptin next April, not to mention tablets for 10 years. I'm so sorry it's dragging on for you. A trip to Iceland sounds exciting. Something to look forward to is definitely needed.

Sar xxx

Hi Nettienoo,

Good to hear from you. Sorry you're having to endure horrid side effects. Good idea to have a break before starting Anastrozole, only so much we can put up with in one go! I read my leaflet for Tamoxifen this morning and am feeling a tad apprehensive too. Not starting until next weekend. Like you, I need a break. Well done for avoiding the hospital this time 😊

Sar xxx

Hi Rosina,

A break in Kent sounds just the ticket after your rads have finished. We went to Scotney Castle which is a National Trust place in Tunbridge Wells. Very pretty and good for walking. We chose it as it's only a 40 minute drive from my aunt's house in Hawkhurst, which is also very nice. Her recommendation for next time was to explore Tunbridge Wells itself. I think there are more NT places around that area as well, for example Sissinghurst Castle Garden in Cranbrook. I'm planning a return visit, hopefully lodging at my aunt's house.

Well done on taking a bit of time out from the work schedule. Tea and cake in a relaxing garden sounds good.

Looks like you had a productive gardening session today. Lovely photos.

Sar xxx

Gardening stint 12 to 5pm but we have a result, washing out to dry now that the jungle got chopped back :

8C7E5EDC-AEFA-46EB-8EDC-14DFC9661322.jpegFlowers behind my bed linen

7A91FC07-E717-43F2-96D4-8A231D260759.jpegI can see his chimenea again, it had vanished in the undergrowth.

02F7E63C-26CD-4B16-BDB2-298114FDF23E.jpeg

EF0029BA-AC46-4BDE-A0CE-1C6A39186798.jpegEchinacea obsession

Hi everyone

All been a bit quiet the past day or so. Rad sessions etc must be taking their toll. I've just emailed the travel company we've used in the past to enquire about taking a 4 night  self- drive trip to Iceland. I'm still feeling a bit down at the moment so I need something to plan and look forward to. Feel as though this Barrying bc treatment is taking forever. You probably feel the same Edinbird. Anyway less of the gloom.

Good to hear from you again Seaside Sar. I hope your energy levels soon return back to normal. Glad to know your cat got through her surgery ok. Your celebratory treat for finishing rads sounds perfect. Well done☺. 

Rosina it sounds as though you've got the weekend well and truly sorted. A bit of practical stuff with gardening then plenty of relaxation. Bliss.

Just seen your post Nettienoo. Seems FEC had a similar effect on our hair, the only difference being that I continued to lose my original hair for several weeks after but my new hairgrowth survived. My thinning eyelashes and eyebrows are back to normal but no doubt will disappear again as CT side effects start☹. At least my hair is holding so far.  Hope your headaches continue to improve and your achiles tendon gets better soon.  

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everybody. xxxxxx 

Hi my lovelies, so sorry I’ve been quiet the last week. I’m ok. Just dealing with the tail end of the barrying FEC side effects. I’ve been having horrendous headaches like cycle 5 but thankfully I’m 3 and a half weeks after last chemo now and am starting to feel better. My remaining stubby little eyelashes have done a runner this week and the little bit of hair growth I’ve had between cycles was all over my pillow this morning. Blooming FEC having its final flourish. I’m also dealing with a really sore place on my Achilles’ tendon. I caught it on the back door about 10 days ago and it’s refusing to heal. On the positive side, for the first time during chemo I have not had to visit the assessment unit, A&E or been admitted to hospital. 🙌🏻💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼. 

I saw the Onco on Monday and have been prescribed Anastrazole. He gave me an long information sheet on it which I read and then wished I hadn’t! 😳. I have asked if I can leave off starting it until 6 weeks post final chemo as I think my body needs a bit of a rest. I may be started on the other stuff (for bones) that others have mentioned but will need a scan and dental check first apparently. 

I am keeping up to date with your posts my darlings but when I get on here my mind goes blank. I need to reread and make some notes before my next post. I remember Marie’s fab pink hair and that Sonia’s husband is called Barry. Kept that one quiet! 😂 Also Imp is having a massive clear out of her art supplies and wishing she hadn’t started. Bless. 😘. 

I will go and read through the posts I’ve missed and post again tomorrow. Xxx

Morning Ladies,

Seasidesar you are right about going taking it easy on the work front.

I was going to go in again yesterday but didn’t ( delay with rads started it off) went home instead.

Caught up with some friends for lunch, I made myself go as my body thinks ‘ okay she has stopped so flop time ‘ and so I had to use ‘cognitive override’ And talk myself out of it. Had cake and tea and a catch up and then had to use ‘cognitive override ‘ again to get up and leave from the lovely garden we we’re sitting in 🤪

At least I have emailed stuff to myself from work that I can read at leisure.

Plan to do some gardening and walking and reading this weekend. Also a soak in the bath with my bath salts.

H1 is suggesting a break in Kent once rads are over so I will have a look at the map. Got any recommendations?

Trixielady glad you enjoyed the violet flame meditation. I did another one this morning (I do start off skeptical but the visualisations are so beautiful that I go along with it ) and feel good for it.

Breakfast now.

Enjoy the weekend everyone 🌸

Good morning lovely ladies,

I can't believe it's been a week since I've posted anything. I have been reading all your messages but have felt so incredibly tired that I never had the energy to have a good catch up with you all. So here goes...

Sarah, congratulations on becoming a granny! How lovely 😊 Baby Oskar is gorgeous. Enjoy your cuddles this weekend. Also well done on getting to the swimming pool and reclaiming your locker! Bet it was lovely to have a swim. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and then I'll be off to the pool as well. Can't wait! Great that you've booked a holiday! Very exciting 😊

Sonia, well done on completing the rads. How is your skin doing? Hope you're having a nice time at the caravan and not running around after the 5 too much! Didn't realise your hubby is called Barry. That made me chuckle.

Trixielady, how are you feeling? How's your other half after his tick bite? Not a nice thing to happen. Bad enough we seem to be developing a tropical climate inviting more than our fair share of mozzies. Well done for booking your holiday. Something to look forward to 😊

MBJ, love the pink hair! You are awesome. Have the rock choir seen your new look? You'll be setting a trend.

Susie, I'm sorry your tastebuds are being affected and stopping you from enjoying a glass of something cold. Not fair! The garden produce looks good though. Hope your tastebuds are letting you enjoy the veggies.

Daisy, I hope you've managed to get the radiographers to stop drawing on you with red pen. Mine did that too and ruined a couple of my bras in the process. So sorry you're getting back so late from your appointments. That makes it so tiring for you. How many sessions left now?

Marlyn, good to hear you're getting on OK with anastrozole. Still hard to know whether the side effects are from chemo/herceptin/tablets. Hope it's not affecting you too badly.

Rosina, sounds like you're ploughing through the rads in your usual superhero style. Take it easy on the classroom prep though. I know how easy it is to get carried away. A couple of hours soon turns into the best part of a day. It must be nice to have the distraction but you need to build up slowly. Can't have you burning out before September arrives.

Ocean, thanks for the beautiful photos. Hope your rads went well and that you're getting used to the new routine.

Edibird, Deano, Nettienoo, anyone else I've missed, hope you're all OK. Bit worried about you quiet ones.

As for me, well I had a lovely weekend in Kent but I was fit for nothing on Monday. Absolutely cream crackered! My rads were mainly at 8.15am so lying in was not an option. By Tuesday the radiographer noticed my skin was starting to break down so she prescribed me some gel. Can't say it stopped the soreness but it was acting as a barrier at least. Then Thursday was an even earlier start as I had to take my cat to the vet for 7.45am for a dental procedure. Then I spent all day worrying because she's 15 and I was convinced she wouldn't handle the anaesthetic. Fortunately I was wrong and she's home (minus 5 teeth!) and making a good recovery. In the meantime, I turned to retail therapy to take my mind off worrying. Oh dear! Now I'm worrying about spending too much. I need to get back to work! Anyway, I have now finished my rads and had a little celebration yesterday by watching Toy Story 4, eating Chinese takeaway and drinking a glass of fizz. Bliss!

Phew! I'm exhausted just reading all that back. Must go for a nap 😴😴😴

Have a good day everyone.

Sar xxx

Hi Sonia, 

Home grown food was lush. Pop by anytime you're travelling along the 303 for tea. Or perhaps some local cider? We're less than 5 mins away. As for teenagers expecting everything to carry on as normal our 27 year old isn't much better☹😟. It seems as though if we can get out of bed then we're fine. 

Prosecco sounds great but unfortunately any kind of grape based drink, ie wine tastes yuk. I'm sure they put something in the chemo mix to give it a vile taste💩☹. xx  

Trixelady 

i was watching a news item only last night about the perils of tick bites, they're getting pretty common these days, a friends daughter has been diagnosed with Lyme disease from a tick bite.....I was bitten in Cyprus years ago by one of the blighters.....horrid little creatures....glad he's on meds for it, fingers crossed xxx

Rosina, thank you that was so relaxing but i would have much preferred a Gin to the water and I found it so relaxing I just had to replay it, Although I'm awake I'd had a terrible nights sleep luckily not due to my own issues but to Stephen's he got bitten by a tick then strung  and a few days ago his leg is really swollen and itchy (on 3 weeks of antibiotics) Hope your well this morning xx

Violet light meditation

Thought I would share. It is very relaxing and the guiding voice is very clear to listen to.

Art therapy teacher mentioned this kind of meditation (with visualisation) . Just gave it a go this morning and I enjoyed it.

Just got back from no 6 and its 9pm.  About to cook dinner.  Ridiculous!

Well I’m exhausted tonight, teenagers so self centred especially when showing off to friends, there was no thought in can mum still do what she use too. Err not yet although she nearly boiled trying too today. 

Just chilling out now with a glass of Prosecco.

I didn’t mention hubby’s name before, but every time we mention Barrying BC  It makes me chuckle. I have told hubby, he found it funny 😁

Susie, the veg looks lush, wish I was  at yours for tea.   

Rosina, I bet it’s lovely and quite at yours, it would be lovely for a few days. 

Sarah, congratulations on swimming, I’m on 17678 steps today, I feel I couldn’t take another step. 

Signing out for the night, I need to climb into bed xxx

SusieB your veggies look amazing. I showed them to H1 and he said ‘very good ‘.

I have never been to New York, Implausible. How does it compare to London?

Trixielady enjoy your August holiday.

Sonia28, both my kids are with my brother’s lot and they are having a good time and I am enjoying the fact that there seems to be less house work. H1 is off to London this weekend and I will thoroughly enjoy having the house to myself 🤗

Ocean21 how is the garden and how are you?

Seasidesar have your energy levels picked up?

Nettienoo how are you ?

You are very quiet.

Edinbird hope you’re are putting yourself at the top of your ‘to do’ list.

Deano , day 3 of Tamoxifen and so far so good. Apart from feeling hot at night ( but not as bad as during chemotherapy when I was waking up soaking in sweat) I haven’t any thing else to report ‘ touch wood’ - well I am patting trees on my walks

Today has been awful not even 2,000 steps. That’s what driving to work and then school looks like ( I got carried away and was there till 4pm). I might go for a quick turn around the block now, then again I may just stay in my bed and read 🤪

Hope you are feeling better Daisydi, actually TGIF tomorrow. Driving to rads is like going to work. I will have done a whole week of it tomorrow.

Skin is perfect. R1 and R2 are doing the job.

Good night everyone.

Hi everyone 

Having a bit of a downer this afternoo☹🙁😟😟, don't know why. Just this Barrying bc I expect. Anyway had a bit of a potter around the garden and tidied up some plants. Taken some photos of some of tonight's dinner, Greek salad, minted lamb kebabs and pitta bread🍅🥒🌶🥗.  .  

Can't believe how quickly some of you seem to be going with the rads. Although I expect with each of you it must seem like forever until the final session. 

Daisydi my hubby has medication for high blood pressure and the brand changes with amazing regularity. Think the chemist gets whatever is the cheapest at the time of purchase. Who knows🤔? No excuse for rudeness though.

Edinbird, hope you're taking good care of yourself. 

Deano, hopefully you haven't started to grow another grapefruit since the last draining and things are feeling more comfortable for you.

We haven't heard anything from Sandra and Veronica for ages. I hope they're both ok.

Take care everyone. xxx 

20190801_143855.jpgCucumbers20190801_143927.jpgCucumbers galore20190801_143946.jpgTomatoes20190801_145137.jpgPeppers long not bell

Thanks Marlyn.  Ive heard the TEVA brand is good.  I asked the pharmacist if I will get the same brand every time and she just said you will get what we've got.  Not very helpful.  Think the word empathy has been lost in my GP surgery!

Forgot to say I take mine at 7 pm, the nurse suggested taking them in the evening...makes sense to me...if I took it in the morning I would be looking out for the side effects...lol xx

I didn't read the side effects....I'm liable to read them then automatically talk myself into them! I am a wee bit spotty too....but nothing horrendous....xx

IMG_2116.JPG

Bit jealous of you swimming Sarah!  Got my Anastrazole.  Its the Accord brand.  Is that the same as you Marlyn?  Dont want to take them after reading the side effects, e.g skin reactions, joint pains etc. as I already have those.  What time do you take yours.  It says they can make you tired and you may experience hair thinning.    Already got that too!   Not sure I should do that long drive whilst under the influence!  Barry to the lot of it!!!!

Hi Implausible 

Congratulations on your swim Sarah🏊‍♀️🏊‍♀️. I think 25 mins is amazing after all this time. xx 

Well done Sarah, 25 minutes of swimming is a fantastic start Smiley Happy

I am in my classroom having a lunch break - in between doing paperwork for September - drove myself here after rads.

8 down , 12 to go.

Rosina