cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2019 chemo starters

MBJ

Re: February 2019 chemo starters

Dear Jencat

Sorry to hear of your dad's illness. It's all so much to deal with. Take care. 

Good luck to everyone starting today - I’ve felt sick and stressed and crampy stomach since yesterday so not sure if it will just continue like this! Just need to get on and hope I don’t feel too awful when I’ve got to drag myself to another scan some time soon.

MBJ

Hi Trixielady

Well I am here for my assessment. Just waiting, oh scary. 

Sorry to hear about your dad Jencat Smiley Sad  hope they are keeping him comfortable in the hospital 

Jencat, I can understand your fears sadly this seems to happen far to often, sometimes the quicker people get out of hospital the better  , It's possible he could have a care package put in place to help him remain at home enabling him to remain independent and encouraging his recovery if he doesn't already it's worth looking into xx

Thank you Trixielady x Although dad is 91, until Christmas he was still driving down to me once a week for Sunday tea! Myself and two daughters are so close to him and it's hard seeing him becoming more frail. I worry that the longer Dad's in hospital, the more instutionlised he seems to be coming and that we won't be able to get him home. Yesterday he seemed very drugged up-my cousin is an ex-nurse and another cousin works at the hospital, so I'm going to ask them to look at his notes xx

Hi Jencat, thought I hadn't seen any posts from you, so sorry to hear about your Dad hope he's comfortable after his fall and so sorry to hear about his diagnosis xx big hug

Dear ladies, just wanted to let you know that I'm still thinking of you and hoping you're all ok. I haven't been able to come on to the forum recently as my elderly dad had a fall 12days ago and was admitted to hospital and we were told he's got cancer on Wednesday. As you can imagine, we're devastated.

Thanks ktk, I will keep my fingers crossed, I am really concerned about neutropenic sepsis.

ktk

Hi Sandraindurham, I’m from June!!  I found FEC pretty predictable. I felt a bit rough for a few days but could guarantee that I would be fine for the second two weeks so could make plans. I expected it to be the same on Docetaxol   Although I didn’t feel sick it did leave me feeling rough and was cumulative. Kxx

Eee baked potato with cheese & beans was my thing too, I kept asking my sister if Trixie smelt or if the house did. I've never stopped washing my hair tho, mouth has been delicate , sometimes dry  sometimes I've been really thirsty, also fancied cheese & onion pasty,, pineapple, mints  ice lollies really helped, ginger and lemon tea xx

Eyes slight dry, head starting to feel sore and colder xx Dreading 25th but needs must xx Big hugs to all you brave ladies and the supporters out there xx

Second was painful due to vein issues then neutropenic so multiple hospital admissions around cycle three. My cancer centre is all nurse led so if it's not on the protocol it doesn't happen which is not always helpful. After I managed to see an oncologist dosage was tweaked, Hickman line inserted and four to six were comparitively easy. I also relaxed my self imposed rules about exercising through chemo, obsessively watching diet etc and had the occasional glass of wine! Three months post chemo I still can't stand the smell of coffee or fried food. I have developed a taste for silver skin pickled onions which I could still taste when the taste buds died. I was lucky to have no nausea but I would reiterate keep your bowels moving. Chemo and the steroids have unfortunate effects. My centre presrcipef Laxido as a matter of course. Tastes horrible even without taste buds but does work. 

MBJ

Oh Implausible you could have done with more. Help and support. Too much for one person to deal with. But I know that it's not always easy to get the help you need for various reasons. Take care x

MBJ

Hi Marlyn

Well I love cheese and potato pie and baked beans but whether I will at the end of the week is another matter. 

Just washed the locks for the last time 😥 got a head full of heated rollers in now. They will then be relegated to the bottom drawer. Having it all chopped off on Tuesday. Early start tomorrow have to be THERE for pre assessment at 9am, which is really early for a retired person. Oh it's all so scary. I am 65 but feel 5 and would like to hold my mother's hand, if only. 

Hi All, just checking, what was the worst cycle (1st, 2nd, .....)?

How did you feel after each one and afterwards, in each week of interval?

And as for smells...I couldn't even cuddle my cat last weekend as her smell was enough to tip me over the edge. I have stopped wearing perfume and my nailpolish was truly turning my stomach the other day. This is worse than being pregnant!

Oh Trixielady, I know what you mean about the personal hairs disappearing already...Still, think of all the time saved on waxing, etc.

Hi Marlyn, glad you're feeling better today. Cheesy potatoes was all I wanted in that first week too. In fact, anything with cheese was good. The bowels were an issue for me too. I will be asking the oncologist on Wednesday but I suspect she'll recommend Senna. I'll let you know.

Hi MBJ and Implausible, thank you for your kind words, and I am so sorry, you both had it really nasty on Feb.

There are trying months, really. Me and my husband had our birthdays in August and he died in August.

I try to ignore the entire month!

Keep strong, ladies, this week... arrghhhhh!

Hi mjb,

yes!! The poisonous tuna sandwich!!! Well I have to say I am feeling a lot better Tonight, eaten cheesy  mash and peas and ice cream. It's really odd how your taste changes, I love quorn but it tastes nasty 😷.....oh and toast! Bloody vile.....however I can highly recommend arrowroot biccies...

good luck for wed....now to get me bowels in action!!! Xxx

There still isn't anywhere to visit my dad.

I sorted out the will, all the probate, and spent months clearing and selling the house.   My sister was supppsed to sort the headstone and burial of ashes.

Ashes are still in an urn on her shelf!