cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2019 chemo starters

Re: February 2019 chemo starters

Hi Everyone 

My goodness so many topics today that I can identify with, I'll write the one feed rather than individual replies.

Firstly, apologies to Ally2019. I wrote to you earlier and suggested you join our group, then later remembered you're already here. And there's me thinking chemo brain had disappeared over the weekend.😴.

I have my 26 year old son still living at home and he's been ok since my diagnosis.Ithink it helped that one of his best friend's Dad had cancer (who sadly passed away, that's not the good bid), and his mother was able to reassure my son in small ways such don't  be worried if there's a change of plan during treatment as everyone responds in different  ways. My son, bless him, even made sure his work knew the situation so that if my husband was away he could step up and take me to appointments. We've also been sure to keep him in the loop with all that is happening since my diagnosis.

As for post chemo which I had on the 8th (1st of 4 rounds of FEC) I faired pretty well. I had plenty of top notch anti sick meds which worked really well. The fatigue wasn't too bad apart from Wednesday (sorry Ally2019 I've already told you this)when I took a massive dip. When I saw a nurse on Friday for my PICC to be cleaned she put it down to ending the steroids too quickly. Then we get onto the strange taste from the chemo. My poor husband had to go out on Sunday to buy biscuits. I don't  do biscuits😝. Infact I don't have a sweet tooth at all. Well I didn't  until Sunday. Coffee I was ok with but that tasted weak but back to its normal strength by Friday. Still can't drink coke and yoghurt still iffy. All very strange. Looking forward to next round...... not

Also cold-capping. That was fine for me, just waiting to see how well it's  worked. I know I'll lose some hair it's just a case of how much😨.

Like some of you I've also had a couple of moments. Yesterday was the first when I was simply looking through my wardrobe I suddenly felt really low. It didn't last long but a bit depressing after such a good week. Today I started feeling anxious and don't know why. Just  hope I don't need to start taking my meds again for anxiety.

Anyway folks good luck to you all who are starting their first and second round of chemo this week.

Ive just got some wide hairbands in preparation for hair loss and I look like Ken Dodd on a bad day.  Now its my turn to howl!

MBJ

Hi Sissy60

Yes it's strange how so d dates are so significant in family life. 

Well I had my pre assessment this morning, asked what antiemetics I would be on , not Emend so I requested it, hopefully it will be on my treatment plan on Wednesday. Also asked about the injections for WBC and again no I was only on them for the T cycles. So again the nurse was going to see if she could get them added. So thanks girls for all the information I would not have got these without you. Depends strange not to have the WBC injections straight away as you would expect it to be better to prevent a low white cell count straight from the beginning. 

So I feel a bit more settled now I have been, I saw the cold cap gosh it was so heavy, the treatment rooms were fairly small the one I am going to had three beds in. My husband was told he could come back and forth but not really room for him to stay. So I think he will go home and then come back for me (as long as he remembers😀). 

Good luck to everyone else starting or continuing this week. X

Anobody trying out some complementary therapy?

I had reiki 3 days before my first dose on the 14th. 

I came out zonked. I could feel the heat coming from the therapist hands. 

As I have to see the oncologist on March 4th I thought may as well see if I can book in for another reiki session on that same day and got one, before my next dose (March 7th) .

I am very fortunate to have a Macmillan Cancer Support Centre at the Hospital that I go to for all the other stuff.

Glad that I did an ‘All Out Swim’ for Macmillan Cancer 2 years ago at Pells Pool in Lewes. Little did I know then that I would be accessing their services!!

Sissy60, yes day before you. FEC-T 6 sessions x 3 weekly. X

ThanksSmiley Happy yes waiting is no fun. I think I start day after you! A week Thursday and you on 27th if I remember rightly. Which ones you doing? X

Sissy60,

sometimes a good howl can be therapeutic. I’ve had a few. The waiting is so hard isn’t it? 9 days to go for my 1st one and anxiety levels rising. Glad we all have each other. Good luck to everyone starting this week. You have so many people on this thread who are thinking of you and care deeply. You are never alone. Jeanette x

Good luck and everything crossed for you starting this week.🤞💝

My daughter came from Uni this weekend and just came back from seeing GP with her as she’s lost her voice no cold or anything. Doc asked her if she was stressed and she said well my mum has breast cancer and started crying. God I feel so sad and guilty. She’s not one to display emotions unless it’s bad unlike her emotional mum, so it made it worse. Poor girl has got time off to come and look after me post chemo sessions as my husband has a busy job with travel. She’s not used to seeing her mum not jollySmiley Sad not sure if she’ll cope with me vomiting either!

I had a total meltdown yesterday and have a lovely ‘she shed’ in my garden, I adore it ..such a calming yoga place! I haven’t been in it since diagnosis and yesterday decided to Hoover and put the fire on in there. I went in collapsed in a heap and howled for ages. I associate it with such happy times. I feel sick and ill today already 🤦‍♀️ Oh and MBJ my mum died in Feb two ago and my late dad’s birthday in feb and my husband’s ...and my sister died late Jan twenty yrs ago...and other stuff so it’s a weird time of year too!.

Portacath on Wednesday under local ... dreading this. Will it stop me doing stuff?

Tried to meditate and my mantra changed from shanti to chemo.😳 almost funny. So hoping once first one is done it’s on the way...moving forward.

wishing you all a good week and sorry for misery - want to be uplifting for everyone !! But glad it’s a place to come where we ‘get it’.🥰

Hi Seaside sar, 

I've got pink nail polish at the moment but have a sparkling black one to put back on for Monday .

My son appeared to take it off the cuff but later showed more interest and care cuddles and I love you have been heard and felt at various unexpected times 

I'm gonna pass an hour today by going to tidy up his home that's proving I still have the energy after walking Trixie around the green luckily for me it's right in front of our home, as last week I had the same plans but they just didn't happen ended up a heep on the floor xx wish me luck 

Hi Trixielady

Yes, my next one is Tuesday. Sorry to hear your hair is going but good that you've had success with the wig. I am ready to leap into action with that, especially these next few days. I washed my hair very carefully this morning, half expecting to pull out some tufts, but nothing happened. It is constantly on my mind though. Might paint my nails as a distraction 😁

Hi Implausible, I have a 19 year old son who is also being quite laid back in his comments. Things like, "You'll be alright." I think it's just his way of dealing with it. He doesn't like it when my husband gets upset and anxious so it is quite difficult to get the balance right in my house these days. Oh what fun!

Re: kids

My eldest sons (27 and 28) seem to have shrugged it off, they aren't in any more regular contact than usual, the gits Smiley Happy  and their initial reaction to me telling them the diagnosis was "ah don't worry they fix it easy nowadays, you'll be fine".

To be honest I'd rather they act like it's no big deal than get all upset.  

My 16 year old who is still at home is a little more worried.  It's just me and him, so I get that. (I have a fella but he doesn't live with us).   My son is definitely hugging me a lot more recently.  But he seems ok.  When I was in overnight on Thursday to have the portacath thing put in he thought I was starting the actual chemo and he was super worried.  But once I was home he chilled out again.  He will be glad once I'm through the first cycle I think because he knows I'm a bit apprehensive about it, and he isn't really used to seeing me be apprehensive about anything!

Hi Seaside sar, pleased to hear your doing well for now..When's your next one ? Is it Tuesday ? Its so funny the cravings I had similar xx I've been out nd about but only rsik a few hours as I find my energy levels drop.I still have my hair but think it's on the move on holiday without me haha starting to feel sore uncomfortable and more in the hair brush, I gave my wig an outing on Friday night,, I've left a photo on here, I loved it was scary at first incase it fell off xx

ROSINA, love this, I'm printing it off and putting it in a frame. Xxx

Good morning lovely ladies,

Best of luck to those of you starting this week. Try not to worry too much - easier said than done, I know. I can honestly say I only felt grotty for a few days after chemo and then got through it with various meds, etc. Right now I'm feeling fine and very hungry after a bit of a small appetite week. I'm finding the cravings hilarious! Poor hubby doesn't know whether he's coming or going, what with krispy creme doughnuts one day to salted peanuts the next. Yesterday, I really wanted parsnips but it was far too late as my roast dinner was nearly ready 😂

Oh, and my hair is still there 👩

Going to make the most of this week by having lunch out with friends and doing some normal things.

Next week it starts all over again.

Hi Ally2019, how old is your daughter? It's never easy my son is 28 but we can never be sure about the impact our diagnosis have whatever their ages, I spent a lot of time worrying about my parents having to cope with their baby at 50 having to go through this my parents seemed to have aged over night our family believes in honest feeling telling letting it all out but once you get a diagnosis it feels really different because families hate pain and looking more than one day at a time hurts because of the unknown but staying positive getting to know about your diagnosis  treatment and expected outcome don't be worried about asking your oncologist question xx

Hello my lovely beauties,

just want to say good luck to all starting chemo this week ( and of course other weeks) the actual chemo day was fine, I even left on a high ( think it was steroids) I'm not sure but I have a feeling my meal when I got back was too much ( large soup and a wholemeal roll) I ate almost straight away ....with meds...then promptly threw it all back up and continued doing so all night...however..let's fast forward to today...feeling loads better, eating drinking....but not pooping...hoping senna will sort that one out! Still got the ninger nose, all smells are in technicolor and tastes are odd too...but cheesy mash wins every time...

one down five to go ....come on lasses...together we are strong....xxxxx

Good morning Trixielady, 

Thank you for your positive words. 

How are you today? 

I am feeling nervous, but I’m ok. I understand that this is a process to be ridden free of the awful tumour, so I’m looking at the outcome opposed to the here and now. I agree re reading stories, so I know what to expect either way 😁

I am more worried for my family though, but my daughter is in good spirits at the moment. So that definitely helps. 

I will keep everyone updated. Edinbird, please do so as well xxxx 

Hi Implausible,

you are not too old for you tube.

I use it ,when I need to double check stuff and usually there are many versions of the same item. 

Depends if you like pictures or reading.

I had never heard this story before, it came up one morning during a Calm meditation (narrated by the lovely Tamara Levitt).

For example here is Alan Watts telling the same story:

https://youtu.be/byQrdnq7_H0

Morning Ally2019, hope you're OK ? Its so difficult at the moment for everyone but being on here seems to help a lot, as you'll read some have it really easy  some middleish and some really hard but the support of the nurses really helps and if you find yourself struggling your oncologist can play about to make your next session easier xx Good luck