cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2019 chemo starters

Re: February 2019 chemo starters

Hi Sandraindurham

I didn’t find the injections to boost white blood cells painful at all. Mine was given 24 hours after chemo by a district nurse into the stomach, honestly I barely felt it. I only had one but I know some ladies on here have had more than and at different times, I’m not sure why there is a difference. 

I had mine last Friday and woke up last night with pain in my back & hips/top of legs but it has been manageable with paracetamol & ibrupfen. It’s been a beautiful sunny day today here in Cardiff with the use of the painkillers I went for a walk with my youngest daughter which was lovely. Xxx

Hi Mbj

Re: flowers

I really hope it’s ok to have them. I have them in abundance,  my usual presents would normally be wine & Prosecco 🍷 🥂 😂 

Let us know if you find out 

xxxx

MBJ

Thank you your prayers would be very welcome x

By the way, we have a crazy Chihuahua, they really keep us going, eh?

Hi MBJ, that is so great!! I wish I had family with us, being just the two of us going through this is tough!

I will pray for you my friend, if you don't mind,

MBJ

Hi Trixielady

Have a fantastic night, let us know how it went. I bet you look great.x Go for it girl. 

Ooh and send up a prayer for the February girls! I think you should go... use that STOP nasal spray from Boots helps protect from germs. I’m developing earache and headache oh no do hope it’s not a bug🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

MBJ

Hi Daisydi

Wellcome to our lovely supportive group. Yes cancer sucks and we are all going to kick it's backside. I am going to cold cap, having my hair cut short first, I am having FEC-T. Three cycles of each. I also have two cats one of which is sleeping on my lap as I type, and a dog. I also have a long suffering husband, poor thing I don't think he knows what's hit him. He has had to work out how to turn the oven on !!  Good luck and keep posting. 

What a lovely mummy you are. Can feel you feeling her pain as I would with my daughter. She’ll be ok with you thereSmiley Happy)

MBJ

Yes he is good Sandra and my sister is very supportive she is a nurse like me so practical and sensible. Although I don't feel sensible at the moment 😯. So I will feed my spiritual needs on Sunday and try to avoid the nasty germs 😷🤧👾👾.

I hear you, MBJ, but let us put it this way: soon you will be able to be back to a spontaneous life and you should do something wild!

Communion at home is the best, how lucky to have a brother vicar, he will be able to know exactly how to support you through this.

MBJ

Hi Sandrainduram

Thanks for this sounds horrific probably shouldn't have been taking it for the last 50 years yuk.  I will just take the bread which is what I thought. But I will risk the germs, as I really need to go to Church before chemo on Wednesday. I will wear gloves so I won't shake hands skins to skin  when sharing   the Peace. 

I have not been for weeks as I had a chest infection and feel it will help my peace of mind. My brother is a vicar so he will bring me home communion if I can't go in the next few months. Oh so much to think about and plan. Whatever happened to spontaneous life. 

Regarding the the injections to boost immunity, how painful are they, and how often do you have to have them? wil it be the same to have just the one or several? Any side effects, besides the pain (I presume it will be back pain?)

Hi Sarah, I think I have spend more hours reading this forum than anything else in my life!

I have read that several ladies here spoke about pineapple as something they can eat to ease symptons, especially really cold or in popsicles so I will have them prepared, in case of need.

I will not be able to ease her pain or to feel any of the dreaded symptoms of chemo, this is the least I can do, try to prepare as much as possible to help her.

Hi Sarah

i have the single injection on day 2. When I previously had chemo back in 2011 I had injections over five days. It’s much easier having just the one. And yes the back pain kicks in within a week. I bought a heated back pad on amazon which has really helped and was prescribed Oramorph oral solution for if the pain got really bad. I had 3 cycles of FEC and 3 of T back in 2011 followed by a month of radiotherapy. good luck with it all.

Daisydi!  That was it.  Should have been easy to remember as my son's girlfriend is Daisy.  But I think my "chemo brain fog" has set in already despite not actually having had any chemo yetSmiley Happy

Sounds like you have really been through the mill already with 3 surgeries Smiley Sad  hope everything goes more smoothly for you going forward.  I am also doing 3 cycles of FEC and 3 of T, followed by a month of radio.

Trixie, I really do love your attitude.  I am also hoping to keep life as "normal" as I possibly can during the 18 weeks, albeit without taking silly risks.

I'm hoping to get back to work quite soon but it will be mainly WFH, especially in the most infectious week in the middle.  

But I've been signed off for the first 4.5 weeks so I can go through 1 and a bit cycles first to see how I get on....

One more question..... the injections to boost your immunity.... I see some of you have to do these multiple times?  I've been told once per cycle, exactly 24 hours after end of chemo infusion, soon day 2.

These things seem to vary so much regionally, or maybe it's just case to case....?

Is there anyone else who just does it once on day 2, or are you all days 3-7 with a nasty bad back at the end? Smiley Sad

Sarah

Oh gosh Sandra - I thought I was super prepared and have bought a mega box full of stuff, but after reading your extensive list, I now feel like a total rookieSmiley Very Happy

I think I missed the memo about pineapple, can someone enlighten me? (Luckily I really love pineapple!!)

I'm home from having my portacath fitted.  It sticks out a lot more than I thought it would, but the kids think it's hilarious that mum now looks like an android Smiley Happy and I've never been one for low cut tops, so nobody will see it anyway.

I've spent the afternoon styling 2 wigs to look a bit more like how I would wear them.  Thinking of thinning them both out a tad too as they are much fuller than my usual hair.  But they are cool, I do like them.  

My hair probably won't fall out now, just to spite me Smiley Happy

Welcome aboard to our new lady whose name has jumped out of my head, and while I'm writing this I can't go back to check, sorry!

Sarah

Thanks ladies.  We will be fine and I thought I was healthy until this little bliter came along!

Trixielady, you are absolutely fantastic!!!!!

Daisydi, 

sending you lots of love and blessings.