61587members
324882posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2019 chemo starters

Re: February starters 2019 - yes, we rule!

Hi All

just to update you on my T I had yesterday - it was a lot quicker than Fec only there 1 hour 15 mins - I’ve lost my taste buds today and have a hot facial flush otherwise I’m going ok and feel much better than Fec. I got backache this morning but I stretched this out and it has gone as I do suffer with back ache anyway and go s physio exercise which always work for me 

ill update in a few days but feeling flushed makes me look  healthy - the little things - I started my constipation capsules day before and this has been amazing Bowles working more normal why did I wait till day after before 

hope you ladies just get through your weeks - 2 more to do and 6 wks left we can do this xx

Implausible, yeah i didn't drive but didn't cross my mind to tell the insurance company but now my renewal is due I'm just wondering if the price is going to shoot up?? Xx

I called mine before surgery.  When I had my hysterectomy I wasnt to drive for 6 weeks or earlier if doc signed off so I thought it would be something similar.  For the lumpectomy they said as soon as doc okayed it.  I think I had a couple of weeks off driving until I felt ok again.

They didn't seem to have a problem with driving during chemo.

Hi Ladies 

Just a quick question what are you doing about car insurance if you are drivers ???? Mine is due for renewal and it hadn't even crossed my mind since diagnosis with all the worry & stress until my son mentioned it xx

MBJ

Hi Girls

Sorry some of you are having lots of side effects with the T it all sounds awful. I feel as if I have run away from it all and hurried my head in the sand. Oh whatever we do we barry worry. I am trying to get into mindfulness but not getting very far with it yet. Rosina I love your daily quotes. Edinbird your bandana looks lovely it that still all your own hair??  Trixielady I hope they can sort you out, being breathless must be really frightening. Is it worse if you lie down, do you need to sleep propped up or is it only on exertion? Nettienoo you see quite chirpy this time shhhhh🤫🤫.

We have been out for lunch to a Beefeater I had fish and chips (great for Slimming World) and he had gammon + two soda and lime all for £12 and it was nice too. I will never loose this stone at this rate. But then I am not big anyway, but would like to loose it  so I will be good tomorrow 😃.

Plenty of sleep therapy for me today.

My brother actually enjoyed this too as he had been rushing around central London since Tuesday!

I am feeling quite wiped out. 

However with a 1 hours kip before and 

403F19D3-D757-4AF5-9DDD-ACCF5B2930F0.jpeg

after my excursion to the pub ( I drove as , my brother is on a fly by business trip arrived yesterday back out via Heathrow tomorrow) and a lunch of chicken and mushrooms pie with mash and veggies it hasn’t been too bad.

Stepwise not even 800 steps so my worst day so far.

Oh Trixielady I didn't realise you were going through so much hassle still Smiley Sad

I don't understand all the initials for that scan you mentioned, but whatever scan it is I hope it gives you some answers!

The WBC injections really do seem to cause more trouble than they are worth for some people Smiley Sad

Hi,   on the hair front I'm just going to get my hairdresser to give what's left regular trims and let the new hair catch up. I've already decided to wear wigs and/or bandanas until I can colour my hair and get back to looking like the real me. As I normally sport a short style wearing a wig won't be much of a problem. The approaching badger look will be interesting though, especially up against my tired panda eyes🐼☹.

Afternoon ladies , was going to name you all but it sounded like a song 

Its Barry rotten all these side effects but at least we're kind of moving forward. 

My chemo had been stopped again for this coming Monday and they are thinking about reducing it again or maybe even just the herceptin my mind is all over the place, still really breathless after walking for short distances, just received an appointment for 1st May for NM. MPS Tf rest gated scan hopefully that will show whats up with me because the thought of stopping chemo is scary xx Good luck lovely ladies with side effects, the wbc injections not the actual injection the pain on the 4th 5th was what i couldn't bare that unfortunately changed my regime from T to paclitaxel (Taxol) and that actually put me in hospital so maybe i should have said nothing about the pains but i thought they were unbearable xx

Thanks for the much needed cuddles, Nettienoo. I finished my steroids yesterday and injections are only for 2 more days so hopefully things will settle.

Pastamissus, thanks for the heads up. Always good to hear from those who have already been through this. You've given me hope 😊

Susie, thanks for the tips re injections. Will try this evening and hope for less/no pain. The nurse was so busy, she didn't really go into detail so I appreciate your advice. Sorry your Mum's email has upset you 🙁 Sounds like retail therapy was the antidote to that. 

Sarah, sorry to hear you're experiencing rubbish side effects. Don't suffer, take some painkillers.

Edinbird, that headband looks gorgeous 😍

I’m with you Sarah. It doesn’t hurt I’m not in pain but it’s blooming uncomfortable. Now I’m out of bed my legs hurt less but I feel wobbly. We are going to wobble to the shops in a bit.

I ordered a random headband and it’s come and is clearly for novelty dress up! But it’s actually ok for round the house. I ordered six Hygge Bands as an offer came up on my Facebook so I’ll see what they are like. Six for £23 so not bad value if they’re ok.

F971B228-2224-4A6B-9973-A193E3ECF163.jpeg

Thanks for the encouragement Pastasmissus.

My logic with all this stuff is that, as long as I know it is temporary, I can put up with it.

I'm not sure what day I am on now, never sure if the actual chemo day is day zero or day 1.  But I had my first T on Tuesday and today is Saturday (so this must be either day 4 or day 5) and it is the first day I have felt like pants, so not too bad I guess.

Even the soles of my feet ache.  And they haven't even done anything today.  All these peculiar new sensations!

I have got painkillers at the ready but haven't taken any yet.  It is more uncomfortable achiness and restlessness than actual pain.  Small of my back down to my toes.

At least my top end seems ok.  Apart from feeling pretty spaced out....

Bleurghhhh.

The gift that keeps on giving  Smiley Happy

Daisydi, I was told I could take paracetamol Ibuprofen  or Co-Codamol if I needed it. 

Thanks for dropping in Pastasmissus.  I am due my first T on Tuesday and seriously am not looking forward to it.  Want to stock up on painkillers.  Can you take paracetomol and ibruprofen.  Thinking of all the T girls.  Hope everyone is ok xx

Aw thanks Nettie 🤗 husband came in and tried to cuddle up and I was just don’t touch me! I’ve still got 6 injections to go... this isn’t injections ache. That was in my back and pelvis last time so that’s still to come, yay

The steroids were only three days worth and so finished on Tuesday what with having to take a day ahead. So I’m no longer sweating everywhere but the aches and constant toilet trips are disturbing any sleep I can get.

Need to get up and take my heart pills... forget the sickness ones I’ve still not felt sick. I know moving about will help but I’m not looking forward to gingerly perching on the sofa with what feels like a rod up my backside, even creeping down the stairs is particularly uncomfortable. Oh, and I still can’t eat cheese! 

Highlighted

I found the T pains were days 4-8. They were not as bad for cycle 5, and had none cycle 6, just overwhelming tiredness. Whether I'd got used to it, or whether the shiatsu I had before 5 and 6 made a difference, who can say?

Take plenty of painkillers! It's the relentless aspect of it that got me down, but it WILL stop in a few days.

Morning everyone 

So sorry to hear that some of you are encountering such painful side effects from T but I am grateful for your honesty. At least I've now got a pretty good idea of what to expect when I go onto TC.   

Seaside Sar you may find the filly watsit injection more tolerable if you take the syringe out of the fridge half an hour before you inject. Also try and inject with an angle of 45 degrees and don't pinch the skin too tightly. To be honest, it wasn't  until my 4th round that we managed a 100% record of pain free injections💉💉💉💉💉☹ Ouch!

Nettienoo the progress photos of hair regrowth is a great idea. Yours may show up better than mine an I do have the odd sparce  hair growth within my bald patches. As for the Valtos Beach we love it and yes little Granny is brilliant. You should see her dance on Greek nights. It's funny as until around the year 2000 we could never understand why people would choose to return to the same place year after year. We found a place on Lesbos which is similar to the Valtos but on a much smaller scale. Brilliant for Chris between the ages of 8 and 16, then we discovered the Valtos when he was 18, that was the last beach holiday we've had with Chris, but he has come to Iceland with us twice since then.  

I had a pretty good day yesterday until Mother sent an e-mail☹😠😠. Despite telling her several times I didn't want to think or talk about surgery dates I still got the "How are you after your 4th round of chemo and when is your operation?" Aaaaaarrrrggggghhhhhh scream! Needless to say I replied but didn't  answer that question especially as at the moment the reply would be 'I don't know'. Anyway I have no intention of telling her. Her reaction one evening when she thought, wrongly, that I was having cataract surgery the following day was enough to have the operations done without telling her. Anyway back to yesterday. I had a lovely chat with my trials nurse and did a bit of retail therapy after my hospital visit. M&S had some tee shirts they were selling on behalf of a Breast Cancer charity so one dropped into my basket.along with a couple of other tee shirts I wanted.

Better get up now. Speak to you all later. Hope it's not too windy where you are.❤❤❤❤    

Seaside, Implausible, Edinbird, Sonia, you all sound like the T is knocking you for six at the moment you poor things. I suppose your bodies are all in the process of saying “what the Barry have you put in me now?”. Are you all still taking steroids too? WBC injections? Be kind to yourselves and try and not get too worried (so hard I know). Hopefully side effects will calm down very soon. Special Nettienoo cuddles for you all today. 

Rosina, I’m really getting into the Yoga Nidra. I think when I’m well enough, I may look in to starting Yoga. I’ve always done quite high impact gym stuff before but I did do Pilates for a bit a few years ago. Xx

Morning my lovelies,

I've had another crud night. Shivering, sweating, worrying...

Consequently, I am in a really bad mood!

Sorry to hear the effects of T are hitting those of you who have had this treatment. I hope it eases soon. 

As for hair, I was thinking the same as you, Sarah and tempted to trim to short length all over as it's gonna be a right barry mess when I get the regrowth next to the longer locks. However I've decided to wait until chemo is over as it might continue to fall out in the meantime.

Hope everyone's day is OK. Rest up and take care.

Sar xxx

PS Nettie I look forward to your hair regrowth diary Smiley Happy

I am not quite sure what to do with mine.  I'm currently sporting a bald crown with a wispy friar tuck around it.  And a little wispy fringe.  At the back where I had the really short undercut it is still ok.

If it starts to regrow it is all going to be odd lengths and look rather peculiar

I am half tempted to clipper it all down to a number 2 or something once it does start to reappear.  But then I will lose my little tiny fringe.  Maybe just keep that .  

I guess I will cross that hairy bridge when I get to it Smiley Happy

Morning all.

I spoke too soon too.  Seems that T doesn't kick in as quick as FEC with the unpleasantries,  but it gets there in the end.

I started with the achey , restless legs as I hit the sack last night and have accordingly had a pretty rotten night.  When they talked about sore legs and joints I thought it would be like my usual slightly arthritisy knees etc, which are fine when I am sat or laid still, but hurt when I get up.  But no, this is unpleasant when you are just lying on your bed, isn't it.  Not much fun!

Bad sore throat too.

Also many visits to the loo overnight but just wees for me.  Think I drank too much water yesterday.  Hard to get it just right!

Anyway.  Today is another day.  Hopefully just a few more days of this and then we will all start to perk up a bit again .

Does make me appreciate what life must be like for people with chronic pain and aches all the time.  At least for us all it should only be temporary until the poison has flushed through....

Last night also cost me £160 as I ended up ordering a new mattress topper at 4am in the hope it will make me more comfortable!  Oops.  PayPal is too easy!

Sarah

I think I spoke to soon yesterday, I feel like I’ve been run over by a bus and it reversed back again, night of aches and pains. The joys of Barry that just keeps giving. I’m not sure if it’s the injections or T or probably the combo. 

Hope the rest of you ladies are holding  up well, think my day may be slower than Planned. 

Morning xx rubbish sleep again I didn’t get anywhere near painkillers as I drifted off but my stomach keeps waking me up! I might have slept through if I didn’t need to keep going to the toilet every couple of hours (but it’s all solid I don’t know how I’m producing so much!!)

So I’m pretty much uncomfortable from the waist downwards. Sore bottom and aching legs. And when I get tired and uncomfortable and a bit dehydrated I’m less inclined to take tablets as swallowing them isn’t pleasant.

Not looking forward to another day sitting around huffing and puffing. T could be worse I’m sure but so far it’s tending towards my expectations 😕

Morning lovelies, on the hair regrowth front, I’m 60 very soon and currently bald and haven’t cold capped so when my hair starts to regrow, I’ll take progress photos. I think it will be a useful reference point for you all. 

Susie, just think we could have been in Valtos Beach Hotel at the same time!! The taxi boat was great  although I do remember we did the walk in a few times too. We do intend to return there as it is so lovely. Paxos and Anti Paxos are beautiful as well aren’t they? When we were there the little Granny of the owners’ family used to sit by the pool in the mornings. She was such a cutie. Xx

22261D96-DD0A-4E35-A11B-EEB7ED8B067A.png

walking

Cant go back to sleep. Night sweats woke me up. Getting some inspiration in the wee hours 🌿

Happy Birthday Daisydi,  Hope you've had a lovely day. i know its early days i am prefering T to FEC, I'm out of bed for a start, no sickness this time around. I managed shopping in town yesterday with my daughter and that girl can shop, and have just got back from watching the new advenger film. I'm a bit achy, so have taken some tablets. Injection for me and bed now. 

Happy birthday Daisy!

I’m currently doing you a birthday jig as I can’t sit still for 5 mins with my achy legs! 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻

Going to give in and celebrate with a couple painkillers as I’ll get so hot in bed if I have to put the electric blanket on for too long again.

Sar that sounds like my steroids sleep so hopefully will pass soon. I’ve reported back fit for work as I could work if needed (with frequent leg stretches!) and my boss might come round on Weds he says... great more tidying up to do! 😂

Evening lovely ladies,

Well last night's sleep was weird. I flagged early evening so managed to notch up a couple of hours. Then spent all night alternating between shivering and being far too hot. My mum has even bought me a cooling pillow as I was fed up of turning mine over several times every night but sadly it didn't really help. I was wide awake at 5am but managed to get back to sleep until 8am after reading for a while.

I've had a busy day following a busy week of hospital visits (3 in total).

I braved the shopping centre this morning which was fine other than the fact that I felt like I was in a daze. Then had quick lunch and off to my first choir session. It was fun and I don't claim to be a good singer by any means but it didn't seem to matter. They did have me slightly worried when they started talking about upcoming gigs though 😂🤣

After singing and a fair few laughs, I went home and made choc chip muffins thinking I could offer one to my friend who was coming to visit me, but no, she was being good. Guess I'll have to eat hers then. 

Then I had to brave my first tummy injection...it hurt! Not sure what went wrong.

Ready for bed now so I'll have to catch up with you all over the weekend.

Love to all.

Sar xxx

MBJ

Happy Birthday to you 🎶🎶🎶🎶

Happy Birthday to you🎶🎶🎶

Happy Birthday dear Daisy🎶🎶🎶

Happy Birthday to you🎶🎶🎶

🎂🎂🎁🎈🎉

Daisy, you kept that quiet!. Happy Birthday💖🎂🍰💐💐🌹🍾🍾🥂  🎈🎈🎉🎉🎁🎁. Champagne sounds good. Cheers🥂.

Enjoy the rest of the day. Lots of love and best wishes. Susie B xxxxx

And a belated happy birthday from me to you Daisydi 😊🎶🎈🎁🎂🎶😘

@daisydi wrote:

Thanks for birthday messages.  Feels like a strange one!

mine was the same last week - at least we both had the luck of our birthdays falling on our "good" weekend, but it's not quite the same as previous years, is it!  

Try not to worry too much about the "T", sounds like your nurse has been pretty negative, hopefully it won't be too bad.  It is still early days for me but it hasn't yet bashed me about as much as FEC usually had by this stage in week 1, so here's hoping.....

enjoy the rest of your big day Smiley Happy

Sarah x

Thanks for birthday messages.  Feels like a strange one!

Happy birthday to you...happy birthday to you...happy birthday dear daisyd!!! Happy birthday to you!!!!!!!!!! ❤️😜🎉🎀🎁🛍🎈🎊🤹🏻‍♂️🍫🍪🍷🍷🍷🍹🍹🍾🍾🍾🎂🎂🎂🍰🍰🍰

It IS Daisy's birthday!!!  I just scrolled back and she did say a while back that it was April 26th.

Feel bad that I didn't remember.

Happy birthday Daisydi!!!  🎂

Enjoy that champagneSmiley Happy 🍸

Happy Birthday Daisydi

If it is here is a birthday image.

On behalf of all of us ,February starters !

Daisydi are you a birthday girl today? If so a very Happy birthday darling. Champagne sounds a wonderful idea. Xxx

Trojan War Podcast by Jeff Wright

For Veronica,

Jeff is a Canadian English High School Teacher and story teller.

His Odyssey is also just out and I started listening today.

His Trojan War is excellent as he weaves in all the backstories .

I listened to it last year. 

I think Veronica will enjoy listening to him. He has done his research but he also has a very engaging manner . 

Hugs,

Rosina

Ps I also follow Emily Wilson on Twitter- first female translation of the Odyssey- got her version but it will be a summer read I think.

Also Margaret Atwood ‘s ‘Pelenopiad’ - a good read.

Has Veronica read 

Madeline Millers ‘Circe’ and her award winning ‘Song of Achilles ‘ ?

Get Veronica on the forum ASAP . I love all this stuff too 🤗

Hugs,

Rosina

Is it your birthday today Daisy????

Evening all.  Had quite a busy day today. Had to go over to oncology unit and get my tons of steroids to take on Monday.  The nurse said to expect the same side effects as FEC so Im not looking forward to it.  She said the T is really tough and my legs will prob turn into treacle.  She has given someone a good telling off for not giving me new regime.  Couldnt get blood done as it is too early.  Went out today for a little birthday lunch and saw my mum who managed to speak some words to me so that was nice.  Now going to have some birthday champagne.  Love to all xxx

Evening all xx

Well I am definitely faring worse on T. Husband is making dinner which I’m cautiously optimistic about... minted lamb chops with mash and broccoli. Hope the mint isn’t too sweet but I bought these pre tastebud meltdown. I’ve strict instructions no cheese in my mash! I still have cheese fear! 😬

My leg ache has moved from thighs to my lower legs and knees so I ended up moving from the sofa to bed where I can put the electric blanket on. Nearly dropped off but I’m just sat watching my quiz shows quite happy. I do like my afternoons of quizzes!

Maybe I should take some paracetamol. I just don’t want to drug up if not needed and I want to save painkillers for any nights that get bad. Debating a bath but I normally get totally sweaty if I have it too warm.

Guess I’ll just lay here until dinner...

Afternoon all

Sorry Sandra, I had got everyone's regimes mixed up, it is hard to remember who is having what.  For some reason I thought V was 3xFEC and 3xT.    The plus side of all FEC is that she will kind of know what to expect each time without moving onto something new.  Half way through now.  Horrid as it all is at least it is half in the past x

As for you beach ladies, I had to Google Parga.  I've never been to Greece, never really done a beach holiday apart from when I was a kid with my mum and dad.  It does look super pretty though.  Lovely to have something positive to look forward to after all this. 

MBJ that is reassuring info about the travel insurance. Thank you. I also have a free policy through my bank.  I expect it will be a similar thing then next time I want to book something, I would call them first and pay an extra premium... I guess that is fair as long as it isn't crazy expensive.

Nettie, I am cautiously super happy for you that things are going better so far this cycle!  Avoid lurgies!!

Susie, I shall be watching faithfully for your hair updatesSmiley Happy  it really was frustrating me that there are a ton of blogs from younger ladies chronicalling their regrowth every month for years but none that I can find for older heads Smiley Happy  I do like seeing the pictures.....

Here is one set I found online.  Love that by the end of the 10 months she is rocking a little pigtail Smiley Happy

84623fd8582b566eba1f06eb41394a7e--cancer-ovarian-colon-cancer.jpg

As for me.... side effect wise I still prefer T to FEC so far.  Feeling a bit woozy and tired but touch wood no sore joints etc yet.  I was expecting more of a "withdrawal" after coming off the big steroid dose but so far so good.  Food and drink still tastes a little off but as I am trying to watch what I am eating, that's maybe for the best Smiley Happy

Plumber came round and fixed the shower.  Teens have tested it since and are happy.  Good because now hopefully they won't keep using my en suite and leaving it in a boy mess Smiley Happy

And my other main achievement today involved hours of back and forth with payroll at my work.  They had totally miscalculated my new pay levels after dropping down to 3 days a week and have underpaid me this month by around £500.  I spotted 3 different errors in the pay slip but they weren't having it.  Eventually got it checked by the head of payroll who confirmed I was right.  Nice feeling.  And a relief as I have budgeted close to the higher level, I couldn't lose £500 more a month!  Would have had to go back up to a 4 day week which would make me sad as I am really looking forward to my 3 day on 4 day off permanent schedule.   Workaholic me is no more!! Smiley Happy

Am now out for my (late) daily walk but I dont think 10k steps is on the cards.  Not quite up to that this afternoon.  6 or 7k will do me today.

Take care all x

Sarah x

MBJ

Hi Susie B

We always went when the children were young we used to take our caravan. But then it got so expensive. We hope to get good tickets for the whole weekend and access to the podium arena. 

My son will have Grand Prix envy, MJB, if I tell him you're hoping to go to the one in Abu Dhabi. He's been into the Grand Prix season since I can't remember when. That's boys for you.  

Hi Implausible 

I'm 62 and have acquired several  rather large bald patches so I'll try and remember to let you know if I have any renewed hair growth between now and when next chemo starts. It's two weeks ago today that I had my last chemo and hair is still falling out but at a much reduced rate. xxx

@Rosina wrote:

Also does Veronica know the meaning of her lovely name ?

In Ancient Greek it means ‘ to bring Victory ‘.

That is such a strong and powerful meaning.

name/berenice/ Veronica

Rosina, she certainly brought victory into my life, she is a blessing since I discovered that I was expecting and she filled my life with love, light, joy, up to the point that I have always felt that all the time I will ever have will not be enough.

Hi Nettienoo 

Just scrolling through the posts to get to the last one I read and there in front of my eyes is the view I know extremely well😊. We've stayed at the Valtos Beach at least 6 or seven times over the past 9 or 10 years, although maybe this year may have been our 7th until we had to cancel😭. We love the idea of getting the water taxi to Sarikenico (phonenic spelling), or going on one of the boats that go across to Paxos and Anti Paxos, or walking through the town to the little beach. Oh and I can't forget Valtos beach right on the door step🏖. Oh and the food and cocktails. The hotel gets booked up very quickly so there was no time to think about, a case of  'Just do it!' My husband knew I'd be booking it so he was ok about it . Thank you for posting the photo😊. Happy memories xxx

Hi Rosina, V has been quite a champion, since her diagnosis that she has cried only once. She went through the mastectomy, more than three months of a wound that did not stop leaking, she lost all her hair with her first chemo. And still she is comforting Granny, she is a very sweet person and show no signs of depression or grieve.

And, on top of everything, I lost my job, she lost her scholarship, we have no money, no savings and we are risking becoming homeless.

How many people would not ask this?

Rosina, V went through so much in her life that she is one of the strongest people I have ever met, but even Jesus had his moment, and that happened under the beating of that chemo-devil yesterday.

Oh, by the way, I told her about your Berenice/Veronica and she started immediately speaking about this.... she has a BA in Classics and she is crazy about the stuff Woman LOL

MBJ

Hi Nettienoo

Shhhh I am whispering to you keep well and stay home. Don't mix with any randoms (anyone you think looks as if they have germs 👾 probably everyone).