cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

December 2017 Chemo Starters

Re: December 2017 Chemo Starters

Hopefully the hospital will be able to sort out your neuts level Cathsin ๐Ÿ‘ Its surprising how fast infections can affect the body when on chemo but the hospital will get you sorted out and with plenty of rest too. In January I was admitted to hospital with flu for 4 days and my neuts were down to 0.8, they doubled in 36hrs though so fingers crossed yours will be back up in no time ๐Ÿ˜Š

Camilla - sorry to here about your cracked heels and hope they start to heal and you can be out and about in the freah air.

Karebear - the acid tum is just the worst and Im with you on that one - I used to get it for around the first 7 days, now it is all cycle long. I find eating little but often helps and plenty of fluids. 

SamH87 - it seems we have had very similar side effects to the chemo drugs! I have almost become used ro the nausea now and again eating little but often seems ro help me but having said that, I'm looking forward fo the feeling going once this 6th cycle is out of the way!!

Think I am now starting with a cold (day 13 of cycle 5) as throat and nose has that classic "itchy" feeling. Hopefully I fight it off and it doesnt affect the last cycle 6 going ahead late next week.

Hugs to all โคโค

Jo x

I meant we are now experts .. sorry x

Great to hear unicorngirlmummy and good luck going back to work! Its lovely getting some normality back

Oh cathsin that was me too, my neuts were down at 0.1 and thats why they kept ke in for 5 nights untill they started going back up, they turned the corner on day 12 of my cycle and they let me home

So met surgeon yest! God the meeting goes so fast and you forgot to ask things lol so im still getting the mastectomy like planned as I have widespread calcifications/dcis so they need to remove the lot. Im booked in for a sentinel node biopsy operation on 12th April and then booked for the mastectomy 19th April ๐Ÿ˜ฑ where they will do a lymph nodr clearamve at same time if necessary, depening on the results from the sentinal node biopsy. had to decide there and then about reconstruction and didnt have a lot of options as I dont have enough fat to take from back and struggling on belly so wr are going to try immediate reconstruction with an implant, but im also getting radiotherapy so the inplant may fail but he said we can just remove then re look at the ofher options down the line. Hopefully everyone else still to get their surgery will hear plan and get dates soon. I feel glad to have been given dates so promptly as that will be bang on 4 weeks after last chemo.dose that we get started xx

Hi ladies I have read many posts on here about neuts and was not really sure what is about .... I do now mine are 0.1 so I not getting out of this hospital anytime soon I reckon . I can understand when some of you say the 5 o d is the worst we know there I only one more to go and there is joy for that but we are no experts in how we are going to feel and the prospect of that is not good . X

Great you're getting back to normal life Unicorngirlmummy. We all look forward to that. Gd to hear something positive.

What with the weather and how I've been feeling I've become a recluse. I can't remember when I last went out. I have a cracked heel so hurts to walk, that hasn't helped - but your gd news is cheering.

Hi ladies, sorry to see that things arenโ€™t improving ๐Ÿ˜• So near to the end of the chemo hurdles though. That feeling of dread walking to the unit is awful isnโ€™t it ๐Ÿ˜” I dropped off some biscuits to my unit last week & had that feeling even though I was only dropping something off!

The good news is (& please donโ€™t want to strangle me!!), my last chemo was just over 4 weeks ago & things are returning to normal each day. My muscles still donโ€™t feel right but I managed a day of walking around London on Saturday which I wouldnโ€™t have a few weeks ago. Back to work on Thursday, Iโ€™ve been off since September ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Deep breaths, sending hugs ๐Ÿ˜˜ xx

Oh no Cathsin! Sorry to hear you have been in hospital! Hope they let you go home pronto!!
Itโ€™s defin taking its toll - Karebear I also had terrible heartburn this time around and stomach pains... it was really hard to deal with and I struggled eating and drinking anything for fear it would make it 10x worse!!
Iโ€™m Day 15 and itโ€™s subsided .. but Iโ€™m still wary!!

Runawaygirl - I feel the same! My nausea lingered and I have just accepted that I will probably feel like that for round 6 now. The shear thought of chemo makes me feel really sick too!! I had to go to the ward yesterday for antibiotics for my arm and even the smell of the place made me feel sick!!! Arghh!!

We can do this though.... right?! ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ
Xx

So sorry you've ended up in hosp Cathsin. Hope it's sorted quickly.

I'm almost a week into cycle 5 and last night had my worst night yet. Really griping stom pains and nothing brought relief. 

Now have the runs, as last cycle, so was building up to that. Feel so weak today.

Great ur on last cycle Kirsty, I can't wait to come out the other side of chemo. Just 5 weeks to go....

One week into cycle 5 & the heartburn was been hard to deal with and the stomach pains. I think it' just a build up.of all the drugs that are being pumping into me.

At least there's only 1 more chemo to go. 

Xx

Hope all goes well with surgeon Kirsty x

Oh no sorry to hear you are in hospital cathsin, hope they find out what it is and antibiotics kick in and make you feel better. I know all too well the high temperature hospital admissions Smiley Sad

It certainly seems like all of us have really struggled with cycle 5 emotionally and physically... it must be the months worth of this crap building up. I also had very mixed emotions for my final cycle, thought id be happy but kept crying a lot on the week leading up to it. Im on day 6 of cycle 6 now and I feel ao much better and more normal than last time round, no hospital yet, praying it continues but we will see. Surgeon meeting at 11 today.

Sending hugs to everyone struggling xx

Sorry to hear you are in hospital Cathsin but hope you managed ro get some sleep and that the meducal team get on top of what is causing your high temp and low blood pressure x

Hi ladies think we are all emotionally and physically exhausted with it all now . Had no 5 last wed luckily they went ahead with it as my red blood count was below acceptable levels so the did ablood transfusion on Friday after the treatment . Unfortunately I am now back in hospital high temp all a bit of a panic when I got here as blood pressure dropped low and I sparked out 3 times . Just got into a bed see how long I end up in here this time x

Sorry to hear that several people have been struggling, hope things have been better over the weekend.

Ive found rgis 5th cycle the toughest yet so far and my reduced dose hasnt really made any different. Throat and digestive tract still feels like it is "burnt" and still had ulcers. On day 11 now and still have nausea on and off so really think I am stuck with these effects now until the end of cycle 6. Speaking of which that is looming too and I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand I think I should be happy as that is the 6th and final round when my body can start to heal itself and be gone with the chemo. But, on the other hand, the mere thought of the chair, cannula and EC chemo, steriods and GCSF injections gives me visible shivers and deep tum nausea ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Have been extremely emotional this cycle but I think some of it is a) not expressing my emotions and b) my periods have now stopped so feeling very hormonal and PMT like without the menstrual release.  

Hey ho.....the chemo finishing line is coming into focus!

Community Champion

Yes, Sam, antibiotics seem to make us feel worse donโ€™t they? So far, Iโ€™ve had two, my first cycle I had a wee infection which they gave me ciprofloxacin for...nasty drug...works well, but made me feel very low. Then last cycle was put on flucloxacillin, which of course makes meals awkward as you have to have it an hour before food or two after...and I never feel right on that either.

fingers crossed for you that ...no more will be neededxx

Hugs,

moijanx

I have a port Moijan and itโ€™s great! Itโ€™s a good job I have it really as I had a cannula for my first round and in now have a case of phlebitis! Been given antibiotics this morning which is rubbish!!

Hope everyoneโ€™s side effects have been kind to them this weekend! I feel much more human now... itโ€™s only taken 2 weeks!! All ready to go again next week....!! I think someone might have to drag me there and tie me down at this rate!! Dreading it already!!!

Xx
Community Champion

Hi ladies, sorry have been absent, but had my port insertion on my week off. Was fine but a few days of discomfort since..hoping it will feel great by Thursday when Iโ€™m booked for third cycle...first treatment out of three.

i see youโ€™ve all been having (or many of you) rotten side effects...so sorry. Yes this chemo lark can be the pits...and coupled with the big freeze again...very discouraging......but from all your posts...seems we are all on very powerful chemos...so fingers crossed they are doing what it says on the tin!.

i was first diagnosed in 2001.....and then had some similar treatments to yours...am still here ladies after 17 years...and I had a huge tumour and 11/12 lymph nodes positive.....with some cancer free years before it came back.

take heart๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜

hugs toyou all

Moijanxx.

I'm day 4 after 5th docetaxol and, as usual affected gastro-intestinally. Brick in stomach, no appetite and, for a month now, usual horr taste in mouth.

Usually try to get out for a walk but weather made that impossible. So tired of this dull life. Can't make plans because I don't know how I'll be from one day to the next. 

Plodding on, another day ticked off.

Well done Kirsty! You must be thrilled! Well, in about 10 days!!

Sorry youโ€™re having such a rough time runaway girl. Itโ€™s exhausting & draining. I always felt so low when the side effects were at their worst, my mind would go into over drive. It feels like youโ€™re never going to feel well again. You do miss your old care free life which didnโ€™t consist of feeling hideous & didnโ€™t revolve around hospital appointments. Itโ€™s utterly hideous, thereโ€™s nothing positive I can think of saying, except it will come to an end, itโ€™s a hard slog but it will come to an end ๐Ÿ˜˜

Itโ€™ll be 4 weeks tomorrow since my last chemo. My arms & legs are still painful but I feel relatively back to normal.

Hope everyone is doing ok xx

Oh good luck, hope the side effects arent too bad for you xx

Kirsty had no 5 yesterday the same as you but carbaplatin as well x

It's horrible getting every side effect in the book isnt it! Cycle 5 was def the worst. Im hoping cycle 6 is not as bad but if it is then just need to get thru the 10 horrible days then hopefully come out the other side

Ill keep you updated with surgeon meeting tuesday

Hugs to everyone suffering xx

Runawaygirl - I could have written that post myself. Round 5 for me has been the worst. I feel like I have had every side effect this time and my body literally cannot take much more. Iโ€™m Day 9 post treatment and Iโ€™m still feeling rotten. No taste, no appetite, just all round meh!
I honestly donโ€™t know how Iโ€™m going to drag myself to the last one to do it all over again???

Kirsty - well done for finally getting there!! Let us know how it goes and hope the meeting with the surgeon goes ok!! Smiley Happy

Xx

What one are you on now cathsin? Im dreading the next week on this final docetaxol herceptin and perjeta ๐Ÿ™ˆ x

Fab news Kirsty the last one. Not looking forward to the next couple of weeks as it seems to be a bad one to expect from what I am reading. Hope you are all on the up soon x

Thanks rabbit! I have meds for pain this time snd booked next week off work in preparation of being floored lol

Oh not too far tho and number 4 over half way thru! The end is near.

I have meeting with surgeon and oncologist next tues so hear more about surgery soon! Scary xx

Well done Kirsty, the end has finally arrived for you, hope you have a better time with the side effects this time. 

I'm well behind the rest of you know with cycle 4 looming next week, still I'll get there in the end!! xx

Bloods ok and number 6 going ahead xx

Hi runnawaygirl, I found cycle 5 the worst and the lowest ive felt throughout. Really struggled mentally so think the cumulative effect has built up, so you are not alone!
Im in the chair today for final cycle, number 6 is here! But they are hsving to repeat bloods as one of my liver function bloods was a bit high so waiting to hear if ok to go ahead, I so hope its not delayed xx

Hi runawaygirl, I'm from the Oct group and finished chemo nearly 3 weeks ago. I found cycle 5 to be the hardest-I knew what to expect from T and I was nearly at the finish, but not quite.

I had the night sweats (I don't remember reading that they were a SE, but lots of us seem to have got them) but they suddenly just stopped, so hopefully that will be the same for you x

Sorry to hear Carhsin and Camilla that you had longer time in the chair yesterday but its another step forward and closer end of chemo. Hope your side effects arent too bad over the coming days.

Bad day for me, cycle 5 is just as hard as cycle 4 although I am starting to get so frustrated with my body now ๐Ÿ˜” The hot sweats are just getting ridiculous on an evening and all night long and if this is what Ive to expect with Tamoxifen also for the next 10 years then Im afraid Im not sure I can do it ๐Ÿ˜•

Down day today on day 7 and I feel like cancer and chemo has just stripped so much of my life away that I dont recognise me or my life I had before anymore. The chemo brain is well and truely in residence and my concentration, memory and ability to perform straight forward tasks is becoming worse! Hard to keep seeing that finishing line at the moment.

Anyone else starting to feel the cumulative effects of chemo now??

Good morning ladies hope you are doing ok

Camilla much the same really was there for 7 hours but my issue was that my red blood count was below acceptable levels for treatment so they retested and it had dropped again. The oncologist made decision to carry on with treatment .. Phew did not want it to slip, but having to spend the day in hospital tomorrow having blood transfusion . Hopefully I will come out skipping after that x

1. Having said I would be sitting in the chair with a smile on my face, it slipped a bit when the whole thing took 7 and a half hrs.

I was supposed to have 4 diff drugs and wait an hr between 2 of them. Because the staff didn't notice when these drugs actually finished, a lot of waiting time was added.

I had got up early to do things at home before I left for hosp 8 30am appt so by the end of it all was shattered.

I have also been given the zoledronic acid.

Having said I would be sitting in the chair with a smile on my face, it slipped a bit when the whole thing took 7 and a half hrs.

I was supposed to have 4 diff drugs and wait an hr between 2 of them. Because the staff didn't notice when these drugs actually finished, a lot of waiting time was added.

I had got up early to do things at home before I left for hosp 8 30am appt so by the end of it all was shattered.

I have also been given the zoledronic acid.

Hi jencat, Iโ€™m also TN. This is a local recurrence for me. I had chemo last year which put me through the menopause & my oncologist put me on ibandronic acid. She said it helps protect against spread to the bones. This is a local recurrence & the other oncologist told me to stop taking it!!

Cathsin & camilla, hope everything went ok today.

Hope everyone else is doing ok xx

Hi Cathsin, I'm from the Oct thread and I'm having Zoledronic Acid too-I had 3 every other chemo and then like you, 6 more every 6 months. My onc said it's for the bones, but she also said that in recent studies in the US it had also shown to help stop recurrance, which as I'm TN, good news x

Hello Camilla I too will be sat in the chair today hope it goes ok

Ladies I hope you are all feeling somewhat better today it's a trying time

I have been getting a buzzing in my right foot have any of you experienced that .

They are putting me on zoledronic acid this is to stop any spread to the bones if it reoccurs for post menopausal women . I know most of you are a lot younger than me so it will possibly not be applicable but may be worth an ask . It is given every 6 months for 3 years by infusion

So sorry everyone feeling so low. Just remember we're all nearing the chemo end which is a huge cause for celebration.

I am tail end Charlie, behind you all. I have chemo 5 tomorrow and will be in that chair 8 30 am with a smile on my face ticking it off.

Yes, it is hard, but we have no choice. I have one little grandchild, a joy, probably my only one. I want to see him at Infants, then Juniors, then, hopefully at Secondary school.

I want to be spat out at the end of this process and make better use of what time I have left than I did before.

(I had 8 steroid tabs today prob keeping me positive!)

We can do it!!

Highlighted

Happy belated birthday drbex ๐ŸŽ‚

Well done karebear, I hope the side effects arenโ€™t too hideous ๐Ÿคž

Sam, you are tough, youโ€™re more than entitled to have a bad day, itโ€™s not easy feeling so awful for almost 2 weeks & knowing you get to do it all again ๐Ÿ˜” Each day, good or bad is a day nearer to the finishing line & to feeling well again with taste buds & hair!!!

Hope everyone else is doing ok xx

Thanks ladies... definitely feeling it this week!! Just got to get through it I know. Super hard when you are in the thick of it and the side effects are dragging you down every day.

I need to toughen up today!! Xx ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ

Thats chemo 5 done I hope the S/E are not to bad this time round they have given me more steroids and sickness tabs.
Xx

Anyone else have chemo on their birthday? http://drbexl.co.uk/2018/03/10/life-celebrating-your-birthday-whilst-having-chemotherapy-breastcance...

Was fine actually - feel crap all the time, so might as well 'do something different'. 3 more Paclitaxel to go... ;-) 

All so true unicorngirlmummy, the mental side is just as bad as the physical, but we all need to stay strong as best we can and get through it x

Morning!

Rant away Sam!! Itโ€™s totally hideous. Youโ€™re so near to the end of the chemo part. And Kirsty. I think itโ€™s only natural to think that. Sometimes the way it messes with our heads is just as torturous as the chemo side effects. The worst bit was the waiting for the results & waiting for the plan, you got through that & youโ€™ll get through this. We all will, & as battered as it makes us feel both physically & mentally, hold your head up high as you did it & are so near to the end! As Jo says, tick them off, it also shows how far youโ€™ve come.

Itโ€™s really hard when you look in the mirror, itโ€™s like cancer is not content with taking our sanity & strength, itโ€™ll take our identity too! Sadly, itโ€™s part of it but Iโ€™m sure you still look gorgeous ๐Ÿ˜˜ Hair/lashes/eyebrows will grow again. That caused just as many meltdowns for me when I lost my hair last year, especially when it was time to lose the wig. Big hugs to you lovely, strong, amazing ladies xx

Sorry to hear more very sad news mamadeacs Smiley Sad so unfair

Sam I am feeling very similar at the moment, have been pretty positive throughout chemo so far, but this last week or two have felt really down, last one for me this thursday so you'd think id be happier but I cant stop thinking the worst again and convinving myself it hasnt worked or it will come back, its hard to pull yourself out of feeling cr*p but need to try and focus on being positive again and remind ourselves we will get there x

Hi SamH87

It is all worth it in the long run and we all a deserve a good old rant along this chemotherapy journey.  Just remember that the ginishing line is in sight and I must admit that since my chemo 5 cycle on Friday (day 5 now) I just keep counting down the days now to cycle 6 which I can then tick off for good on my wipe board in the kitchen.. it helps me focus.

If you're on Day 7 of cycle 5 then you may be on a steroid come down as well which may be affecting how you are feeling and thinking but give it a couple of days and that should start to lift. Its my first day without steriods and I am feeling quite "roid ragey" so need to focus my mind today wirh various tasks.

It is all deffo worthwhilr though and just think after cycle 6, we will slowly start to get our lives back on track and the body will start to heal after all the chemo and supportive meds...and more importantly our hair will start to regrow!!! Having said that some of my head hair seems to be slowly regrowing according to my hubby but we shall see! ๐Ÿ˜Š  If you havent been to one already then I would suggest attending one of the Look Good, Feel Better courses - I went last week and really enjoyed it and came away with a big bag of cosmetics.

Sending a ((hug)) to you SamH87 - the chemo finishing line is in sight xx

*Rant alert! *
Iโ€™m 7 days post round 5 and absolute fed up!! .
Anyone else really feeling the drag of all of this? I just donโ€™t know how Iโ€™m going to rally myself up for number 6.

Iโ€™m sick of feeling so poorly after chemo, Iโ€™m sick of how I look and feel... please please tell me this is all worth it ๐Ÿ˜ž๐Ÿ˜ž๐Ÿ˜ž
Xxx

Theyโ€™re awful arenโ€™t they! Always from the chest upwards! Have you tried a chillow? I keep mine under my pillow as its not that comfy. I pull it out when the hot flush starts. It helps take the edge off of it. Iโ€™m sure my husband wouldnโ€™t agree that Iโ€™m upbeat about it! If he even puts a hand on my leg he gets it bitten off as itโ€™s too hot! ๐Ÿ˜‚ Some ladies use that lady magnet. Itโ€™s such a glamorous affair isnโ€™t it!!!! Hope the fan helps xx

Karebear and Unicorngirlmummy - my night sweats are definitely getting worse. I didnt have any at all until the first day of cycle 4 and this cycle 5 they are far worse and averaging one every 30 to 45 mi s and last up to 2 mins before going back to normal. Mainly affects face, head, neck, back and under my breasts! My chemo nurse said last cycle that chemo can cause hot sweats - I guess its the effects on the ovaries.  I have ordered myself a pedestal fan which hopefully should be here tomorrow so will see if that will make any difference.  I have had a couple of hot sweata during the day too.

Unicorngirlmummy - I hope all goes well with scan, you always seem really upbeat and positive ๐Ÿ˜Š 

Jo xx

Runaway girl, I found doing the injections around 8/8.30 was the best time to minimise side effects. If I forgot & did it later the pains were really bad. Fingers crossed that your mouth is better with the reduced dose. Xx