Re: Chemo JAN 2017

Hi ladies,

So sorry you've got problems again Jackie, you've really been through it, I hope the antibiotics kick in quickly.

Robin I hope everything's ok with your scans, I suffer really badly from scanaxiety, I do feel for you. I hope at least you know the outcome quickly (all good news obviously!)

Egg, I didn't find the PICC line that bad, I had mine put in just before my 2nd treatment (the veins in my elbow and neck turned bright red after using a cannula for my first FEC. There was a chance it could have been permanent - it wasn't fortunately but they weren't going to risk it again). It took a while to settle and I've had a few issues with allergies to dressings but it's been great for treatment and blood tests and good to know I could be hooked up quickly and easily if needed.

Anyway my line was taken out today as I am now home after my Final Dose. Can't quite believe that's it yet, celebrating with a cup of decaf tea and a biscuit tonight, proper celebration arranged when I'm at day 21! Hot flushes galore already but ok apart from that. This last dose of docetaxol has been reduced a bit ( I've have problems with my fingers which hadn't cleared up this time, so my consultant wanted to reduce the chance of permanent damage) Anyway hopefully that means the rest of the side effects will be slightly better too, although I'm sure I won't escape the fatigue.
I did feel for the lady sat near me who was just starting today, it seems like such a long time since the beginning of living in this bubble and everything arranged around good and bad days.

Four weeks to recover now until radiotherapy, although I have sore 'bad' arm which I'm hoping isn't the start of lymphedema. Jackie I hope you manage to arrange some treatment for yours.

Best wishes to all of you, whatever stage you're at the end is getting closer, take care xxxx

Oh Jackie it never rains but it pours! I can't believe BoB has spawned. Really hope the antibiotics knock it on the head quickly and you don't need anything else doing or any delays to last chemo - you are so near to the end. Could you try using a compress with salt on it? I've heard before that can sometimes draw things out, or sitting in warm salty bath. Keeping fingers crossed that it settles down.
I heard from my onc team today that they have switched me over to weekly Paclitaxel so will start that next week. Which although is meant to be "kinder" (can chemo be kind??) means 9 sessions not 3 so I may wind up with a PICC after all. I think I would have managed without for 3 chemos but 9 might be pushing it. Anyway, at this stage I don't really mind just want to get through this without any more hospital admissions.

Esther - I was told at the start of this no swimming on chemo because of infection risk. So probably best to err on safe side.

Big hugs to all
Egg x

If they made a film about this thread no-one would believe it to be true.

Jackie yet another hurdle and goodness knows you have had more than your fair share but as always your seemingly indomitable spirit refuses to be suppressed and you find a message that absolutely fits the occasion.  Keep going you must, no other choice, but you do it in such style.   Go show that daughter of BOB where she gets off.  Just a few more days Jackie and you get to give yourself your very own badge and by God you bloody deserve it....and no I won't apologise for the language !,,

love and know that everyone of us is willing you on  xxxxEbimx

Hey EggG,

So pleased you are now home, I was getting worried about you. Yes - I've had the sweaty head too.

Mooney - all kudos to you for enjoying the wedding. And for going in the first place.

Beedot - I had cellulitis on the face a couple of years ago - and yes - you think of cellulite, and it is far from. I hope the antibiotics do the trick for you.

Robin, that's the joy of Tax - it's SEs seem to be cumulative. It's brutal. Hope you feel better soon, and the scans go OK.

Esther c - sorry I don't know about swimming, but I would be worried about the possibility of infection.

ebim - my nails have a white line on them - one for each chemo session. I have heard of others having nail problems, but that's all for me.

So, 5 days from my final chemo, and thinking I'd got away with it - daughter of Boil on the Bum put in a last minute appearance last night.
Just like that!
Off to A & E , where I refused to sit in the full waiting room, amongst who knows what germs, so they saw me straight away.
Lesson learned for next time!
Doctor diagnosed an abscess "brewing", sent me away with antibiotics, and an appointment to see my favourite surgeon tomorrow, to see if it needs draining.

You honestly couldn't make this **bleep** up! (Sorry for the language)
Oh - and my private insurance won't cover the cost of physio for lymphatic drainage.
Somebody tell me this will all be over soon!

16711644_10202673501434125_5339342422188663337_n.jpg

Hey Egg, good job that you are home, can honestly say I know how you feel and yes have night sweats, boiling one minute freezing the next. Vitamin C is supposed to help. But I can't remember where I read that! Xxx

Good Morning Warriors

like Robin I am feeling about as far from a Warrior as is possible, steroid crash is completely how it was Robin, one day on the go, next bam couldn't get out of bed....weak, crying and feeling very sorry for myself. 

Does anyone have toe or finger nail probs....maybe just my curse instead of crusty nose.

sheila, welcome - do you know what your treatment is going to be yet?

Mooney great news that you had a good time at the wedding, you so deserved it.

jackie you ok?

chemo brain so can't remember who is our next finalist, Ester think you are up this week. SLowski & Scotty?

good luck to all having treatment this week, commiserations with those lying low and go have fun to those in their "good" week.

love and big hugs Ebimx

Dear All,
Thank you all so much for your kind messages. Got home but was exhausted over the weekend with zero energy which is not like me at all. Was dehydrated and had neutropenic sepsis although no fever, so had IV anitibootics, fluids etc and home with mega dose antibiotics 😖. Finally this morning have had the energy to nag my 2 boys into getting ready for school so I guess I must be on the mend! Still feel breathless whenever I climb the stairs, and sleep isn't great as I keep getting a sweaty head which then gets cold! Anyone else found this? Am going to call the onc team today to confirm that I won't continue on Docetaxol and will switch to Paclitaxel, but also want to make sure I will continue to get the Herceptin and Perjeta with this new regime. Will keep you all posted. Thanks again for all the messages it really means so much to me that everyone on this thread looks out for one another, and knows what we are all going through. It is a huge support.
Big hugs to all
Egg xx

Hello everyone!
I have been enjoying the weather and my good weekend before EC2 next week. I feel better on EC than Tax - my good week/weekend is better if you know what i mean?!! Tax I think lowered my mood although I didn't realise it at the time, and walking, especially uphill became a struggle after several treatments.

I hope your scans are routine screening/assessment ones Robin? Hope they go OK.

Egg, hope you're home and have managed to enjoy some sunshine this weekend. Any news on the change to weekly treatment?

X

Hi everyone. Hope you have all managed to enjoy the sunshine this weekend and glad you made it to the wedding mooney.
Welcome Sheila hopefully you will find some useful tips from us us and the may thread.
Beedot I'm jealous - no tax trots! I'm hoping I won't be too bad next week.
Robin I now what you mean about the cumulative fatigue affect - debilitating! Thinking of you with your scans.
A quick question ... has anyone swam during chemo or know if you can through rads. Now I say swim but what I'm really wanting to do if loll around in warm water to help with my aches and pains! 😜

Mooney glad you made wedding and it was so lovely.
Sheila welcome to thread although you may want to follow May starters as well as that is the thread for people going through chemo with you in May and beyond. It may not have started up yet but will start up soon I'm sure.
Egg I do hope things are improving for you.
I'm on day 5 of Tax 3 and have been wiped out with fatigue all weekend. Steroid crash I assume. Awful feeling. So weak and feeble. Can only sleep. Breathless and exhausted if I do anything else. Tax is meant to be cumulative so I suppose more fatigue was to be expected.
Added to this awful fatigue I've got not one but two scans coming up this week. An mri and a ct. So I have to drag myself to hospitals and have the horrible scanxiety...
Hope everyone else is doing well and good luck to everyone getting treatment this coming week. R x

Hi everyone, it's quiet on the forum this weekend, hopefully because everyone is doing something nice.

Mooney, glad to hear you made the wedding and enjoyed it.

welcome Sheilab, I hope you can see from our wibbles that this is all doable and the support from this forum is great.

Ebim, thank you for the Pliazon tip. My heels are actually OK now, they were just numb but nervy last week. I can't remember if it was you that suggested the daily foot balm before but I have been doing it and it works.

Egg, I hope you out of hospital.

Day 14 after Tax 1 and most SE's settled down (no tax trots, I hope I got away with that one) except my hands and face have had swollen, purple patches for the last few days. I have been taking Loratadine which helps a bit. The worst area is the back of my hand on my post surgery side which is where it started. The chemo team warned of cellulitis  - sounds low key, like cellulite, until I looked it up - why does every SE associated with this treatment have the potential to become so serious! and  of course Lymphodema risk. So anyway, to cut a long story short, I am on antibiotics now just in case.

Good luck to everyone getting zapped this coming week.

Beedot x

Good Morning everyone on this lovely sunny morning.
Thankyou to everyone who gave links and advice re red face. The green slap worked a treat.By the time I put all my slap on you couldn't see the mess! it's all dry and flaky now though. Wedding was stunning and lovely and joyous. Just the thing to lift your spirits and to make it perfect the weather was glorious. 😎. Can't post picture from my phone but will try from laptop when I get home.
Hope everyone coping with side effects - Robin how you getting on with your last tax?Yeah!
Egg are you still in hospital or recovering at home? Hope you are feeling a bit better and the old white cells are flying up. Sending you hugs.
Love to all of our chemo warriors. Hope you can all the sunshine a little.
Mooney xxx

Jackie - Thank you for badge! Will wear it with pride. Hope your lymphoedema really is mild and that the physiotherapist can show you some good exercises to control it.

Egg - sorry you find yourself back in hospital and hope you will be out soon, once they've got you sorted out. I also hope you find the weekly treatments easier to cope with, as WTP has, once you are back on track.

Lighthouse - glad you seem to be doing OK apart from the fatigue and taste changes. Only one more to go before your badge!

Mooney - hope you enjoy the wedding. I'm sure you will be fine with the right make up. If you haven't been able to get on a LGFB course, their website has a lot of information on it, including videos of tutorials. This may help you with the red face etc (the green face paint sounds weird but it does work). Here is a link:

http://www.lookgoodfeelbetter.co.uk/tutorials-and-advice

Esther - it is a pain that the PICC isn't going to last the course, but at least you will get rid of it early. Hopefully the arm will have chance to recover once it has gone.

Ebim - hope the hands are better now. The Pliazon cream sounds good. So many people seem to suffer with their hands and feet on Taxotere. This was one SE I didn't have, but I had other SEs that most of you have escaped. The rule seems to be that everyone gets at least two or three horrible ones from Tax, but not everyone gets the same.

All Troops - crying, whingeing and moaning is allowed during chemotherapy. In fact, it is probably essential to maintain your sanity. The pills, potions, needles, poking and prodding won't disappear completely when it's over, but there will hopefully be a lot less of it once your active treatment is finished.

On a more cheerful note we have been watching a squirrel raiding the bird feeders this afternoon. It is a crafty little blighter and is eating us out of seeds and fat pellets. My OH kept getting up and standing in front of the window to shoo it away, it then jumped down and ran off...but it was probably hiding just out of sight and watching us, because after a few minutes it was back again!

Hi sheilab33

Welcome to the group. We are a group of bald, moth eaten teddies, who love and support each other along the path of chemo.

It isn't easy, but we are all proof that it CAN be done.

Just shout if you need us, rant away, and remember we were all terrified at the beginning, but we are here to fight another day. xxx

Hello Egg.

I'm so sorry you are back in prison - I know only too well how that feels.

Sending you lots of love.

Get well.jpg

Get well 2.png

i am new to all of this and start chemo 4th may..scared stiff..i love the last line of your message..lifted my mood..thankyou
Highlighted

Egg - feel for you so much, you will get through this.  We all need to vent the tears, nothing wrong with that at all.  I know you are on your back in hospital but we say when the going gets tough ---then its just one foot in front of another.  Probably sounds rubbish from where you are but little steps add up to a long journey.

And goodness knows we are all on one.

Beedot - early on this thread, cracked heels were mentioned and I have creamed mine every day.  If you can get hold of the hospital PLIAZON which I was given 2 days ago for open dermititus on my hands it might help you too.  Provided you dont have open sores.  Its made such a difference to me in just two days.

Mooney - Also have red cheeks and Boots suggested No. 7 Airbrush Away - Colour Balancing Primer.  Its basically green war paint - but it really does cover up the red without looking obvious.

Love to all....Big Big Hugs too, Ebimx

Oh Egg I'm sorry your back in hospital today. I hope they sort you out quickly and don't worry I would have cried if I'd been in your situation. Stay strong - we're all behind you! 🌷
Mooney I live in Bristol so I've just given you a big wave! I hope you enjoy the wedding.
My troublesome PICC line has moved again and it looks like it won't be any good for Monday which is a bit of a blow but the nurse said this morning that they would canulate instead. It nearly saw me right through and although it has served its purpose I shall be so glad to have it removed!
Hang in there everyone, we will get there!!!

No Egg that's not silly. I think we all break it down in to the small steps that we can tick off, so when you are told you need an extra procedure it seems so unfair. I cried when I had to have a CT scan recently when the nurse told me she was going to put a cannula in for the dye- no more needles!! But look how quickly it has gotten other warriors back out of hospital. You'll get there. Beedot x

Oh Egg so sorry. I hated being in hospital too, it's awful when your body just goes off on its own and just down tools. Nothing you can do about it and I think it's the loss of control that really gets to you. I seem to have no control over anything, the side effects just take over. Patience we are nearly there.
I am away in Bristol being looked after by my lovely brother and sister in law, before we go to wedding on Saturday. Have lovely new dress but talk about moth eaten . The face has developed dry crusty patches around my mouth and have lovely red rashes on cheeks. Grrrrrrrrr what with no hair a lovely sight! At least everyone's attention will be on the lovely bride!
Jackie love the badges. Well done - what a tonic to get one thankyou, brilliant.
Robin am jealous! I should have been there with you if not for my hospital stays.
I would like to come to the party too please!
Completely with you all with pills potions injections. I hate giving myself the gcsf injections with a vengeance. I was on no regular medication before I started this.
I send love hugs resilience and courage to all you chemo fighters out there. Though as I have said before chemo is our friend, cancer is our enemy.
Mooneyxxx