cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August 2018 Chemo starters

Re: August 2018 Chemo starters

Hello ladies

Please see below for a photo of the list of insurers I got from the cancer support center at my hospital.  This is based on feedback that has been provided over the years from other patients.  If you can't read the attachment send me a private message with an email address and I'll send it to you that way.

IMG_20190107_205831755.jpg

Hi Ladies - hope you are all ok

Cat - I’ve been using Nioxin for the last 4 weeks & my hair is coming back quite well - whether it’s from nioxin or it would be ok anyway I don’t know but I’m going to keep using it.

Unfortunately it’s mainly white but I had a patch test at the hairdressers so I’m going to have it coloured at the end of jan

Would appreciate any recommendations for holiday insurance

Jude x

Hi Lovely Ladies,

Following on from previous posts on the topic of Nioxin (to encourage hair growth/thickness)......

My friend who owns a hair salon went to the warehouse today and they recommended to use Nioxin after A full head of hair has grown back.

Not sure if anyone else has received different advice or has already started to use it with good results?

Take care all 😘

Hi Sue,

Thanks, that’s really helpful.
I’m planning to book a holiday for approx 4 weeks post radiotherapy although I will still be having Herceptin until October so it will be interesting to see if that will make a difference, as it may be considered continued active treatment for the purposes of insurance. I will investigate.

I hope the acupuncture session goes well.

Thanks 🤗😘

Hi Cat

I used Staysure in the summer but they won't cover me whilst I'm still undergoing radiotherapy. I did get an online quote from them though having declared my cancer (and pretending my radiotherapy was over) and I was really surprised that for an annual policy for both me and my partner it wasn't much different to what I've paid in other years. Currently everything we've booked is cancelable at no charge so if anything unexpected happens we can just cancel but I am intending to sort cover after I finish radiotherapy.

I know that the cancer support center at my hosp has a list of insurers that will cover cancer patients though I haven't yet looked at it. I'm there tomorrow for an accupuncture session to help with hot flushes so I'll try my best to remember to have a look and I'll post an update with some other companies.

Hope everyone is doing ok

Sue 😘🤗😘🤗 xx

Hi Lovely Ladies,

Hope you’re all doing well 🤗

Jo, great to hear you’ve nearly finished radiotherapy. Good luck with your last week!

Tarnia - I’ve also heard that we should wait until 6 months after chemo before dying our hair...but I also think that’s if you are using chemical dyes/bleach.

Sue - Glad to hear your hairs growing back. I’m 3 weeks post chemo (and just waiting for my radio dates) and have the tiniest bit of fluffy baby hair so far. My friend has a hair salon and she is going to pick some of the hair growth product we were talking about next time she goes to warehouse. I also had a back massage recently, so lovely...your story made me smile 😀
What company have you used for travel insurance? Anybody else any suggestions on this topic?

Take care all 🤗🤗🤗

Morning ladies

Hope everyone is doing ok. I'm partway through my radiotherapy (23 sessions in total). So far so good - I just have one slightly sunburnt boob.

My hair is also coming back looking very grey - I've been trying to pretend it's the white blond of my childhood but over the last few days I've come to the conclusion it's well and truly grey. It's still a bit like baby hair at the moment and feels quite fluffy. It's also a bit patchy in places and not quite as thick as I'd like it to be. I've been playing a game whilst sat waiting for radiotherapy looking at other women and trying to guess how many weeks post chemo they are based on hair growth. I've not had the bottle to ask any of them though just in case they are fewer weeks than me with better growth! 🤣🤣.

Has anyone tried the hair growth products we were talking about before Xmas? Any reports on them if so?

I've just had a lovely back massage courtesy of the cancer charity at my hospital. The therapist was a 6ft 4in bloke with hands the size of dinner plates that were so warm it almost felt like a hot stone massage without the stones! Unfortunately it wasn't as relaxed as it could have been as I spent the last 20 mins trying my hardest not to f@rt. Hey ho.💨🤣🤣

Have a lovely day all and enjoy your weekend what ever you are upto. We are hoping to finalise booking our summer holiday - we are self organising a trip round France and have just a few more places to book accommodation for - I really don't know how I found time to do stuff like that whilst I worked full time........

Ttfn Sue xx

Good luck with the radiotherapy. I found it so much easier than chemo just tiring as my appts were all before 9 in the morning! Most of them at 8.15 so at least I had the rest of the day without thinking about hospitals and treatment.
My hair is slowly coming back, it’s lookimg brown (which is my natural colour) but somewhat lighter than it was before the chemo.....but there are also a number of grey hairs in the mix! My hair is so fine, like baby hair and not much off it so can’t tell whether the grey or brown is winning.....time will tell x

Hi Tarnia, I'm from the Oct '17 thread and finished chemo the middle of March'18. When I saw my onc at the end of July she said it would be ok to dye my hair in Sept, so that was 6mths after the end of chemo. Don't know if you could dye it earlier if it was chemical free. Might be worth asking on some other threads if anyone knows x

Hi Jo

Good to hear you’ve almost finished radiotherapy without any major Se’s!

I had more surgery last week, but doing well no problems so far. Got an appointment next week to discuss my radiotherapy! Can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

My eyes have finally stopped running (5 weeks post chemo) and my taste buds are slowly returning to normal.

Hair isn’t looking too bad either although very grey 😏! Wondering how long I should leave it before dying it! I didn’t lose it all as cold capped just went very thin so had it cut really short.

Hope everyone else is doing well too. Take care all.

Tarnia 

Hi,

Happy New Year to you all. I hope everyone is doing ok and enjoyed the festivities.

I’ve finished my 3week radio sessions and just have the booster week to get through-how is everyone else getting on.

So far my SEs have been pretty good, just a bit of tenderness but nothing really to complain about.

jo x

Hi Lovely Ladies,
Happy New Year! 🍾🍾🍾
Here’s to a healthy 2019 for all of us.

Hi Jude, great news that you’ve finished your radiotherapy now too...another reason to celebrate 🍾

Take care, Cat 😘

Happy New Year lovely ladies. Hope you are all enjoying a good evening with family/friends and that we can all look forward to a happy and healthy 2019.

Lots of love,

Sue xx 🥂🍾🎉🍹😘🤗😘

Happy New Year to everyone, hope you are all doing ok
Jude x

Hi Cat - chill out & enjoy the break from treatment

I’ve got my last radiotherapy session on Christmas Eve - yippee!
In the last few days the area has gone pink & I've got a bit of a rash similar to prickly heat rash - but they have said my skin is looking good (even with above) & have given me some cooling dressings & suggested taking an antihistamine to help

Hope you can all enjoy Christmas without too may side effects & here’s to a healthier 2019

Jude x

Happy Christmas Eve eve everyone!!

Hope you are all feeling fit and well and looking forward to the festive season.

Have a lovely time all and enjoy.

Hugs and 😘😘😘

Sue xx

Hi Lovely Ladies,
I hope you are all keeping well.
Wishing you all a restful and relaxing Christmas with friends and family. 🎄

Hi Jude,
Thank you. I’m feeling fine, just a bit tired. Looking forward to a few weeks with no treatment, thectiming couldn’t be better! 👍

Take care all 😘

Hi Cat

Well done on finishing your chemo - what a brill feeling! Hope you’re not struggling with any side effects!

Hope all you other lovely ladies are doing ok

Jude x

Hi Sue,

Thanks, yes such a great feeling.
Sounds like we are all going to find radiotherapy much easier than the chemo 🤞🤞🤞
Good luck with the next sessions and keep us updated how you go.

Take care, Cat 😘

That's great news Cat - it's a great feeling isn't it.

Hopefully the side effects from your last chemo will be long gone before Xmas arrives. I'm only two sessions in but radiotherapy seems a breeze compared to chemo - fingers crossed this continues.

Sue x

Hi Lovely Ladies!

I eventually got there....I had my last chemo session today! Hooray! 🎉 🛎👍🍾 Feels a bit surreal. Looking forward to a break from treatment over Xmas and NY and will be raring to go with radiotherapy in Jan.
Enjoy the weekend everyone and stay warm!
Cat 😘

Hi Sue,
Good to hear your first radiotherapy session was quick and painless, I hope they’re all like that! 👍
And thanks for your top tips. I’ve thought about acupuncture too so very interested to hear how you get on.
Take care all.
Cat 😘

IMG_20181213_193712729.jpg

Just a tip to share with those going through or about to start radiotherapy.

I've been advised to avoid anything with Sodium Laureth Sulfate (according to Google this is something that makes things foamy!!). Scrutinising various shower gels in Tesco most of them had this (including the Sanex Zero Kids one that I'd just bought 3 bottles of Grrrrrr) - however I did come across one by Dove that doesn't have this in - it even states on the front of the bottle 0% sulfates, parabens and phthalates. I've taken a photo of the bottle and I'll hopefully figure out how to upload it to this page.

Sue x

Hello All

Hope everyone is doing ok?

I've had my first radiotherapy session today. It was a much quicker experience than either an appointment to see the oncologist or have chemo - it looks as though the hospital are on top of the sessions and so waiting times are fairly minimal. The treatment was quick - it took me far longer to find a parking space than it did to have the treatment! Didn't feel anything - just a bit noisy. I took some of the E45 cream with me and slapped some on before getting dressed again - my boob is now getting moisturised 3 times a day in the hopes of keeping it from getting too sore.

In other news I've signed up for 4 sessions of Acupuncture to start in January - I've been told it will help with the hot flushes and it's supposed to be a fairly permanent solution!!! I'll keep you posted on the success of it.

Stay well everyone - there's a lot of nasty bugs out there

Best wishes all,

Sue xx

Hi Ladies,
Sounds like I’ve been lucky, I haven’t suffered with runny eyes, just a very runny nose! 😂
Jude, good to hear about your hair growth, I was wondering how quickly I should start to see some movement after I finish chemo. Can’t wait! 😀
Good luck with your treatments ladies.
Take care 😘

Hi Jude

So glad your eyes have improved. Fingers crossed mine will be better by Christmas! Good news about your hair, eyebrows and lashes too! Can’t wait for everything to start growing again....just need to be patient!

Take care.

Tarnia x

Hi Jo
Like you say you just have to trust the experts, presumably the risk of not treating the nodes is very small compared to the risk of heart damage. Good luck tomorrow
Tarnia - it’s 4 weeks since my last chemo & my eyes are so much better now. I have had a stye in this time period but I think that is more to do with the fact that I’ve no eyelashes to protect my eyes!

In hair news, I’ve been using the Nioxin products for nearly a week now & my hair is defo growing quite quickly - not sure if it’s the products or not 😂. I’m also seeing a little bit of growth on my eyebrows & top eyelashes as well.

Take care all

Jude x

Hi Jo
That’s good to hear, just a few more weeks to go then 🤞🏼
Thank you x

Hi Tarnia,

I’m about 4 weeks since last chemo and my eyes are a lot better. They still water occasionally but no where near as bad as before.

x

Hi ladies

Has anyone who  has suffered from watery/runny eyes started to see any improvement? I’m just over a week past last chemo and eyes are still bad!! Itts driving me mad. Tried various eye drops but nothing is working 🙄

just wondering how long this will last.

thanks

Tarnia

Jude, Not really, they can treat the higher ones just can’t do the ones lower down. I just hope the chemo has done its job and zapped any stray cells!

Difficult decision but I can’t risk damaging my heart, don’t really want to have a heart attack whilst having radiotherapy! Also any damage now can cause major problem in the next few years.

I just have to trust the experts x

Jo - that’s good news that you can start rads on Wed, is there anything else they can suggest re your nodes?x     Cat - we’ve got this 👊x

Hi Jo - good to hear you’ve got your radiotherapy start date sorted now; hope all goes well on Wednesday

Hi Jude - thanks....we’ve come a long way already! 👍

Hi Jude,

I spoke with my oncologist today and I will now start on Weds.

The concern related to the position of my heart and the fact that they will not be able to treat all the nodes located under my sternum as it would damage the heart too much.

Jo x

Hi Jo

Sorry to hear your rads have been delayed, fingers crossed it’s only something minor - thinking of you

Jude x

Hi all,

Cat- Good to hear you are coming to the end of your chemo.

I was due to start radiotherapy today but had a phone call on Friday to say it would be postponed.....

Apparently the radiologist wants to discuss my plan with the oncologist but oncologist was on leave until today so they couldn’t discuss! I just hope it is a minor issue - not really sure what the problem could be.

i think you just get slightly paranoid that something else has been found or treatment not worked so far......hopefully they just want to discuss the regime over the Christmas break 😀 or something like that!

Some one I know had radio postponed because the CT scan taken at planning stage showed that the heart/lungs had changed shaped during chemo and it altered all the calculations!

I should get a phone call today to let me know when I can start.

Best wishes x 

Hi Cat
That’s great news that your last chemo is next Friday, it will be lovely to put that behind you - hope you are feeling ok from the last cycle
Good luck with your rads planning meeting as well.
Step by step we are getting though this 👊
Jude x

Hi Lovely Ladies,

I had my penultimate chemo session on Friday, last one this coming Friday - bring it on! 😀

Jude - great to hear radiotherapy is going so well for you.

Sue & Jo - good luck starting radiotherapy this week, hope all goes well 👍

I have my radiotherapy planning session on 21st Dec but already been told that I will have 3 weeks plus booster. I was 50 when diagnosed too.

Have a great week everyone!

Take care 😘

Hi Sue
Since my op in June I’ve been wearing non wired very soft t shirt bras which are comfy. Although as my scar & hence where the radiotherapy is targeting is only just inside the bra line, I’m just trying to limit any irritation by going bra less for a couple of hours. The bralet style look good though & are quite in vogue at the moment!

Jude x

Hi Jude

Pleased to hear all is going well. I might copy your no bra tip. I've been thinking of opting for one of those bralets (I think that's what they are called in m&s) - they look a bit like tight version a cropped vest top. I'm expecting that they maybe a bit more comfortable although one of the radiographers told me that the post-surgery bras are usually ok too. So I might dig those out when my chemo brain can remember where I stashed them for safe keeping 😂😂 x

Hi Sue

At the minute I’m finding it a doddle, I’ve had 4 out of 15 sessions & no sign of any skin irritation or soreness. I’ve used the Aveeno moisturiser that they recommended but also I’ve not worn a bra whilst travelling to & from the hospital so less chance of anything rubbing immediately after treatment (one of the few times having small boobs has been an advantage!)

I am tired but I was tired before the radiotherapy started so no change there!

Have to say all the staff are lovely as well

Good luck with your radiotherapy, hope it all goes well

Hope all you other ladies are doing ok

Jude x

Hello Jude.

How are you finding the radiotherapy now you've had a few? Any soreness developing yet or any other SEs. I start mine on Thurs.

Hope everyone else is ok

Sue xx

Hi all,

Jude- glad your radio session went well.

Sue- I’m also having 3 weeks plus a booster week as I was 49 when diagnosed and as you say, it hopefully gives us added protection. They will also be targeting my collar bone as my cancer managed to get into 7 nodes so I think it is again an extra protection to that area. I start on the 10th Dec. So glad they advised me to have 3 full weeks off after chemo...I’ve needed it!

i had my first bone strengthening infusion yesterday back in the chemo unit.....luckily mine was really quick and easy and I only need it every 6months for the next 3 years. I also start my hormone therapy drugs next week - Letrozole.

Nearly there.....

Hope everyone is ok.

jo x

Hi all,

Jude- glad your radio session went well.

Sue- I’m also having 3 weeks plus a booster week as I was 49 when diagnosed and as you say, it hopefully gives us added protection. They will also be targeting my collar bone as my cancer managed to get into 7 nodes so I think it is again an extra protection to that area. I start on the 10th Dec. So glad they advised me to have 3 full weeks off after chemo...I’ve needed it!

i had my first bone strengthening infusion yesterday back in the chemo unit.....luckily mine was really quick and easy and I only need it every 6months for the next 3 years. I also start my hormone therapy drugs next week - Letrozole.

Nearly there.....

Hope everyone is ok.

jo x

Hello All

I've had my radiotherapy setup appointment today so I'm now sporting three tiny blue freckle dots 😁. The process was really very quick and unlike my chemo appointments it was all on time and I was in and out of the hosp in under an hour inclduing an explanation session, the session to line everything up and then a session with the doctor. The tattoos can't be too obvious as it took my partner ages to find them.

I start my treatment on the 13th and was a bit surprised to learn they have decided to give me the standard 15 plus 8 booster sessions that will focus on where the lump was. So 23 sessions in total rather than the 15 that I'd previously been told to expect. I've been told booster sessions are generally given for the under 50s (which I'm not but I was 50 at diagnosis so not too far off that mark). Still if it gives greater protection against it coming back I'm all for it so bring it on.

I've been told to use E45 cream but I think it's very similar to Aveeno and I've already got some in the house so I'll see how I go with that and then maybe switch if it's not doing the job.

Hope everyone is doing ok and looking forward to Christmas 🎄🎅🛷🎁⛄🌲🍾🥂🍸🍹

Sue xxx

Hiya ladies

Had first radiotherapy today, was all very straightforward. They recommend drinking plenty of water & using Aveeno moisturising lotion, other hospitals may suggest other products but I’ve bought Aveeno 😂
Also had my 4th herceptin injection today but the first one that I’ve had at home - took a couple of hours with all the paperwork but the next one should be quicker. They only have to wait with you for 30 mins after the injection to check you don’t have a major reaction so that’s good.
My photos have the potential to look like mug shots but I’m loving seeing the subtle changes in my hair each week!

Hope you are all doing ok

Jude x

Hi Jude
Good luck with the radiotherapy on Tuesday, hopefully it will be a walk in the Park compared to chemo!
I’ve decided to take monthly pictures of hair - took the first lot yesterday although because I’ve cold capped I still do have hair it’s just very very thin and grey 🙄
Keep us posted with how you get on with radiotherapy along with any tips you pick up along the way!

Take care
Tarnia

Hi Lovely Ladies,

Tarnia - good luck with the op on 27th, hopefully you can relax and enjoy Xmas first 😀

Sue - thanks for the link, I came out as No. 2 aswell. Really interested to hear how everyone gets on with Nioxin.

Jude - weekly photos of hair growth are a great idea! Will be stealing that idea 😂 Good luck with the start of your radiotherapy on Tuesday. Let us know how you get on.

Take care everyone

Cat 😘

Hi Jude

I'm doing exactly the same re weekly photos of hair!! Not sad at all - an interesting photo diary 😂😂

Sue xx