Re: August 2018 Chemo starters

Hi Lovely Ladies,

Sue & Jo - thanks for the insurance company details. It will be so lovely to get away and relax!

Great that you are coming to the end of your radiotherapy, another tick ✅. I just found out today that my radiotherapy starts on Monday.

Jude - good news about your hair and great that you can dye it so quickly. Will that involve bleaching?

I’ve also been very positive during treatment and heard the same, that it is common to have a crash at some point post treatment. Some of my friends and family are talking about how great it will be to move on and put it behind me again but it’s not quite as simple as that is it!

Hi Dikat, I was also given a mouthwash that I tended to use only when I needed it and it worked a treat.

Bye for now. Take care everyone 😘

Thanks Sue. I will definitely give it a go x

Hi DiKat

I used Difflam 2x a day for the week after chemo and never had any problems. Can't say if this prevented it or if I would have been ok any how but probably worth using it as a preventive measure.

Good luck

Sue x

Thanks for that Jude1962. Yes I did get that prescribed once I'd started having problems. Maybe I need to use it from the start as a preventative. Will ask tomorrow x

Hi Dikat

I suffered with a sore mouth & mouth ulcers with first chemo, I told the nurses for the second chemo & they prescribed me difflam which is a mouthwash - it did help although it tastes shocking!

Good luck tomorrow 

Jude x

DiKat, Feel free to gatecrash!

sorry I can’t help you with the ice chips x

Hi everyone

I'm from Dec 2018 thread so hope you don't mind me gatecrashing. Just wondered with all of your experience if anyone used ice chips during chemo sessions to prevent mucositis. I had it really bad after my first one and ended up hospitalised with neutropenic sepsis. Have 2nd FEC tomorrow and wondered if I can take any preventative steps. 

Thanks in advance for your wisdom. Sending love xx

Hi Sue & Jo

I’ve been the same during diagnosis & treatment - positive, optimistic & basically just got on with it.

I’m now 2 weeks on from finishing radiotherapy & have had my checkup with my oncologist today  - all ok - next checkup in 3 months. I’ve also got my checkup with the surgeon at the end of the month when I’ll be advised of the date of my first mammogram post treatment. 

I’ve not had a downer as yet but am expecting one at some point...although I have had odd thoughts of recurrence 

Have to say though that the chemo is just like a bad dream now, as if it happened to someone else!

jude x

Hello Jo

I've just got my booster sessions to go too. So I'll be finished next week 👏👏👏😁😁.

I remember my GP telling me that often people stay strong through treatment and then crash when it's over. I'm dreading that happening to me - I've been quite strong and philosophical about this whole business that I'm just wondering if it will hit me then or if I will get away relatively mentally unscarred. I think for me the whole treating it means fighting against it and getting rid of it which I've found to be a really positive thing - I guess I'm thinking once the treatment is over you are no longer fighting it proactively - more just willing it not to recur. I'm already dreading the annual mammagrams (or rather the results from the annual mammagrams). I'm hoping to keep busy and occupied for a few months whilst I finish convalescing doing nice stuff ( holiday to Austria with my partner, a spa trip with friends) in the hope it'll keep my mind off it. And then I'll be back to work with no time to think of anything else......

I've been looking at the Nioxin stuff and will be ordering some - my hair is growing back but would be nice if it could be a little thicker - still I guess it's only 6 weeks since my last chemo so I shouldn't expect too look my old self immediately.

Have a nice day all - hope I don't bring you all down with my musings.

Sue xx

Hi Sue, 

Im hoping I’m on the final hurdle - 3 more days of my radiotherapy booster week. 

It is going to seem weird next week- no appts or hospital visits! Strange as well- finish the treatment and then see you again in a month at a check up.....eek scary stuff. I remember reading that some people find the end of treatment a hard thing to deal with- in some ways I will be relieved and really pleased but in other ways.....it is a daunting prospect....or is that just me!

Have you finished your treatment yet Sue x

Hello Jo

Are you still having treatment or have you finished now (I've lost track of who is where 😬).

Sue x

Hi all,

I have booked a summer holiday to France and managed to get insurance with a company called Insurance Choice. I thought it was a reasonable price and they cover my husband for his diabetes as well!

I got the name from the  MacMillan website. 

Jo x

Hello ladies

Please see below for a photo of the list of insurers I got from the cancer support center at my hospital.  This is based on feedback that has been provided over the years from other patients.  If you can't read the attachment send me a private message with an email address and I'll send it to you that way.

IMG_20190107_205831755.jpg

Hi Ladies - hope you are all ok

Cat - I’ve been using Nioxin for the last 4 weeks & my hair is coming back quite well - whether it’s from nioxin or it would be ok anyway I don’t know but I’m going to keep using it.

Unfortunately it’s mainly white but I had a patch test at the hairdressers so I’m going to have it coloured at the end of jan

Would appreciate any recommendations for holiday insurance

Jude x

Hi Lovely Ladies,

Following on from previous posts on the topic of Nioxin (to encourage hair growth/thickness)......

My friend who owns a hair salon went to the warehouse today and they recommended to use Nioxin after A full head of hair has grown back.

Not sure if anyone else has received different advice or has already started to use it with good results?

Take care all 😘

Hi Sue,

Thanks, that’s really helpful.
I’m planning to book a holiday for approx 4 weeks post radiotherapy although I will still be having Herceptin until October so it will be interesting to see if that will make a difference, as it may be considered continued active treatment for the purposes of insurance. I will investigate.

I hope the acupuncture session goes well.

Thanks 🤗😘

Hi Cat

I used Staysure in the summer but they won't cover me whilst I'm still undergoing radiotherapy. I did get an online quote from them though having declared my cancer (and pretending my radiotherapy was over) and I was really surprised that for an annual policy for both me and my partner it wasn't much different to what I've paid in other years. Currently everything we've booked is cancelable at no charge so if anything unexpected happens we can just cancel but I am intending to sort cover after I finish radiotherapy.

I know that the cancer support center at my hosp has a list of insurers that will cover cancer patients though I haven't yet looked at it. I'm there tomorrow for an accupuncture session to help with hot flushes so I'll try my best to remember to have a look and I'll post an update with some other companies.

Hope everyone is doing ok

Sue 😘🤗😘🤗 xx

Hi Lovely Ladies,

Hope you’re all doing well 🤗

Jo, great to hear you’ve nearly finished radiotherapy. Good luck with your last week!

Tarnia - I’ve also heard that we should wait until 6 months after chemo before dying our hair...but I also think that’s if you are using chemical dyes/bleach.

Sue - Glad to hear your hairs growing back. I’m 3 weeks post chemo (and just waiting for my radio dates) and have the tiniest bit of fluffy baby hair so far. My friend has a hair salon and she is going to pick some of the hair growth product we were talking about next time she goes to warehouse. I also had a back massage recently, so lovely...your story made me smile 😀
What company have you used for travel insurance? Anybody else any suggestions on this topic?

Take care all 🤗🤗🤗

Morning ladies

Hope everyone is doing ok. I'm partway through my radiotherapy (23 sessions in total). So far so good - I just have one slightly sunburnt boob.

My hair is also coming back looking very grey - I've been trying to pretend it's the white blond of my childhood but over the last few days I've come to the conclusion it's well and truly grey. It's still a bit like baby hair at the moment and feels quite fluffy. It's also a bit patchy in places and not quite as thick as I'd like it to be. I've been playing a game whilst sat waiting for radiotherapy looking at other women and trying to guess how many weeks post chemo they are based on hair growth. I've not had the bottle to ask any of them though just in case they are fewer weeks than me with better growth! 🤣🤣.

Has anyone tried the hair growth products we were talking about before Xmas? Any reports on them if so?

I've just had a lovely back massage courtesy of the cancer charity at my hospital. The therapist was a 6ft 4in bloke with hands the size of dinner plates that were so warm it almost felt like a hot stone massage without the stones! Unfortunately it wasn't as relaxed as it could have been as I spent the last 20 mins trying my hardest not to f@rt. Hey ho.💨🤣🤣

Have a lovely day all and enjoy your weekend what ever you are upto. We are hoping to finalise booking our summer holiday - we are self organising a trip round France and have just a few more places to book accommodation for - I really don't know how I found time to do stuff like that whilst I worked full time........

Ttfn Sue xx

Good luck with the radiotherapy. I found it so much easier than chemo just tiring as my appts were all before 9 in the morning! Most of them at 8.15 so at least I had the rest of the day without thinking about hospitals and treatment.
My hair is slowly coming back, it’s lookimg brown (which is my natural colour) but somewhat lighter than it was before the chemo.....but there are also a number of grey hairs in the mix! My hair is so fine, like baby hair and not much off it so can’t tell whether the grey or brown is winning.....time will tell x