Re: August 2018 Chemo starters

Nearly there Sue, I found it was a relief to finish rads more so than the chemo x

Good luck with the radiotherapy Cat, drink plenty of water & keep moisturised!

Hi Jude, Sue, Jo and Cat, I'm from the Oct '17 thread and also on bishosphonates. (Zoldronic Acid) I have a 6 monthly infusion. I'm also post menopause. I had cancer in 3 lymph nodes and TN. I was told by my onc that it helps to stop bc spreading into the bones, but recent studies had also shown that it also helps to prevent a recurrance xx

Good luck with the radiotherapy Cat - I've found it so much easier than chemo.

Remember to moisturise lots - I take some with me to apply after treatment before I get dressed again and then reapply at least twice more during the day.

Sue x

Thanks for the info Jude.

I'm due to have a follow up appointment with the oncologist once my radiotherapy is over so I guess they'll talk to me about further drugs then if necessary.

I finish rads on Thursday and am so looking forward to this stage being over.

Sue xx

And Jo good luck with the trial! 👍

Hi Lovely Ladies,

I started radiotherapy today...1 session down, 19 to go! 😀

Jude/Sue/Jo - I’m also on bisphosphonates, 6 monthly injections for (I think!) 2 years. Similar to Jude I’m 51, post menopause, Her2+ with no spread to lymph nodes. I’m also just starting Tamoxifen.

Keep smiling ladies 😘

Hi Jo

So it’s hormone treatment for you, will that put you into the menopause or have you already had that pleasure? If you have been through it, do you go through it again?

Well done for going with the trial, hopefully you’ll get the product rather than the placebo especially if it’s already had good results with secondary bc

Take care

jude x

Hi Sue

Bisphosphanates prevent loss of bone density, I think breast cancer & the treatment of, can cause bone loss. Why some people are put on it & not others I’m not sure - I’m 56 & post menopause so whether that has any relation to it. My cancer was HER2+ & hadn’t spread to my lymph. One of the oncologists has said bisphosphonates can also help mop up any stray cancer cells in the bones but mine hadn’t spread...

To be honest  I’ll take anything they suggest if it may help

hope you are ok

jude x

Hi Jude,

I’m on Letrozole (hormone tablet) as mine was hormone positive and I’m also on biosulphates but I’m on a 6monthly infusion. I have to go to the chemo unit to have it administered. Interesting how you are on a daily tablet and I’m a 6monthly infusion. 

I was told the biosulphate was because the Letrozole can cause osteoporosis and it is to counteract that SE and also strengthen the bones for any future invasion! Also on Calcium tablets to help the formation of calcium in bones. I will also be on biosulphates for 3years.

Ive also just signed up for a trial so I might be on another drug.....or maybe  it, but whatever I will get additional monitoring so quite pleased about that. The trial is for primary hormone positive cancers with 4-9 lymph nodes involved. 

It’s using a drug that is already been used for advanced cases of bc and can slow down the spread, they are seeing whether it prevents recurrence in primary cases. 

Jo

Hello Jude

If you don't mind me asking - what are the bisphosphonate tablets for? I've never heard of that type of treatment

Sue xx

Hi Jo

I have been using the Nioxin products so whether they have helped...but it is thickening up more than length.

I spoke to my hairdresser on Friday & she will use a dye suited to white/grey hair, she is confident it will take ok

It’s been a tough gig so I think we are entitled to feel a bit emotional at the end of radiotherapy - what additional treatment / medication are you on now?

I’ve got 3 weekly herceptin injections until September & have just started a daily bisphosphonate tablet which I need to take for 3 years

Take care all

jude x 

Sunflower18, I was really emotional when I finished rads too. I only made it as far as the reception desk before I burst into tears! You're right, we've been on a very big rollercoaster and I'm not keen on them! xx

Wow Jude, I can’t believe you are getting your hair coloured in a couple of weeks.....my hair is barely visible,  not much at all. It is literally just starting to show and very fine. 

I finished chemo on 12th Nov but I think I will be getting value for money with my wig!,

I finished radiotherapy today....I’ve thought I would be so happy to finish but I was really emotional and got very tearful when I got home. 

I suppose though this whole journey has been a rollercoaster xx

Tarnia - that’s great news re your surgery - you must feel relieved, radiotherapy is quite straightforward compared to chemo - top tip take antihistamines as they will help with prickly heat rash - unfortunately I was only told at my second to last session 😂
I do wish I’d had my eyebrows microbladed before chemo as I didn’t realise there was a risk of infection once chemo had started. I have found a very good eyebrow pencil which gives hair like strokes - provided that you use it very lightly - Naqier beauty microblading etebrow tattoo pen, I bought colour 01 which is a dark brown, think I got it off amazon
I’m aiming to have my hair coloured in 2 weeks so I’ll update then - fingers crossed
I still need to get on a look good feel better course!

Take care all

Jude x

Thanks Sue, sounds like everyone is finding radiotherapy ‘a walk in the park’ compared to chemo. A bit of soreness I ca handle 😉 and I think applying cream regularly helps. I went on the look good feel good session a while back, definitely worth going even just for the lovely free goodies! 👍

Congratulations on the results from your surgery Tarnia, great news! I had my eyebrows microbladed before chemo too and agree that it turned out to be a good decision.....it’s bad enough having no eyelashes! 😉

Take care everyone 😘

Hi Jude 

My last chemo was 6 weeks ago and this week I’ve lost the last few remaining top lashes. 🙁 bottom ones have long gone!! I’m willing them to grow back quickly but no idea how long it will take! I had my eyebrows microbladed before chemo and I’m thankful I did as not much eyebrow hair remains either 🙁.... on a plus note, I last epilated my legs around my 1st chemo (16/8) and haven’t seen a hair since! Now that I don’t mind 😂.

Very interested to hear how everyone is finding radiotherapy. I have an appointment with my oncologist tomorrow to discuss it.

Had an appointment yesterday with surgeon and was told they found nothing, no cancer or DCIS, with my last surgery (27/12) so been signed off by him until my next mammogram which he said will be December (a year after last surgery date)! 

Take me care all.

Tarnia 

Good luck with the radiotherapy Cat - compared to chemo it's been a bit of a doddle though I am now starting to get a bit pink and sore and I'm going bra less around the house. Plus I got the joyous news yesterday that the pinkness will likely intensify after treatment has finished......

My hair sounds pretty much the same as yours Jude - white with dark bits whereas before I was blond. I've read that this is due to it being 'chemo-stressed' and that the colour should return in time. I'm still wearing my wig when I go out - I want it to be a bit longer before I go 'au naturel' so I'm going to leave it a while before I colour it but I'd be interested to hear how you get on colouring it!

Luckily I managed to hang on to quite a few eyelashes throughout my treatment - they did really thin out esp the bottom ones but I never completely lost them all - masacara was still on option for me. But just as I thought I'd gotten away scott free with that side effect I have thought just this last week or so that they are disappearing again!! Looks like chemo is a gift that continues to give for a while!! Luckily I'm on a Look Good Feel Better course next week so hopefully I'll pick up some tips there on what to do if they do decide to pack their bags and leave town!

Hey ho - wot joy 🤹🤹‍♀️

Take care all XX 😘😘🤗

Hi Jude,
I lost a few more eyebrows over the last couple of weeks too and lost my very last eyelash at the weekend! 😳 No sign of anything growing back yet so will have to be patient!
Take care everyone 😘

Hi Cat
Good luck with the radiotherapy, hope it all goes ok - you are nearly there.

Unfortunately my hair has come back mainly white with a few odd darker hairs so I’m thinking a wash-in type semi permanent colour - a warm golden brown, rather than a bleach.
Annoyingly I seem to be losing eyebrows again & eyelashes 😠, I’ve no bottom eyelashes at all & hardly any top eyelashes now. Has anyone else had this happen?

Take care all

Jude x