Re: August 2018 Chemo starters

Hi Jude

The LGFB course was great and the lovely goody bag was very much appreciated. I picked up a few makeup tips and I'm now a convert to applying foundation with a damp sponge and have a better idea on how to manage my invisible eyebrows (they've always been very blond so not just invisible since chemo).

Any ladies out there who haven't been on one of these courses - get yourself booked on!

Sue xx

Hi Sue
Good luck with the add-aspirin trial, it must be good to feel that you are giving something back as well as having a chance to improve your own health situation.
Hope you enjoyed your LGFB course & have took home a lovely goody bag

Jude x

Hi Jo
Thanks for confirming the requirements for bisphosphonates, I thought that might be the case. Hope you are coping with your hot flushes!
I think fear of recurrence hits us once you are through the main treatments, I have to admit to thinking about it occasionally.
I’m sure counselling can help, if only to talk to someone who’s not emotionally attached to you. It’s hard sometimes thinking about other people’s feelings more than your own.
Good luck

Jude x

Hi Jencat

Your 3 strands made me laugh! I’ve been looking on Pinterest & YouTube for ladies showing the hair growth after chemo so from what you’ve said you sound similar to the ones I’ve seen. There’s not much length on my hair but it is thickening up well.

Sorry to hear that you have struggled a little emotionally, it can’t have helped having to wait 6 months for ned. Well done with getting the counselling & a massage always helps. I’ve heard some ladies says acupuncture has helped them...

I’m doing ok thx, finished chemo 12/11 & rads 24/12 - the only time I’ve felt emotional was ringing the bell after my last rads, but I’m expecting the enormity of it to hit me at some point 

take care

jude x

Hello all

I've seen a doctor today as part of my radiotherapy review and asked about the bishosphonates. Apparently as I was peri-menopausal pre treatment this will be of no benefit to me so they won't put me on it. I'm also triple negative so other than joining the Add-on Asprin trial there will be no other drugs for me. Not sure if I'm pleased about that or not as I kinda feel I'm not able to do anything proactive to prevent recurrence.

Sunflower - I've just started a course of accupuncture for hot flushes - I had my 2nd weekly session yesterday. I think there had been a slight improvement but as mine weren't hideous to start with and were always quite random in occurrence and intensity it's not so easy to tell. However they are free sessions with the cancer charity attached to my hospital (Weston Park in Sheffield) so I'm going to continue with them in the hope that a few more will increase the effectiveness.

Off to my Feel Good Look Better session shortly so I'm expecting to be all beautified when I meet a friend for lunch 😁.

Happy Tuesday all - have a great day 🤗😘 xx

Hi,

I had a blood test before I started chemo which showed that I was post menopause......I was 49 when diagnosed and hadn’t had a period for ages but I hadn’t any other symptoms so I was pleasantly surprised. To be honest I assumed it was peri menopause but no, the blood test showed different. As I have been through menopause I am on Letrozole rather than Tamoxifen ( I think for the hormone receptor cancer, letrozole is designed for post menopause and tamoxifen pre) . That is also why I was put on biosulphates.

Unfortunately the hot flushes are a lot worse than I had previously!! 

I must admit though i am struggling somewhat somewhat with the fear of recurrence - don’t know why but I can’t believe it is all ok etc- google is not good sometimes.....I think that because I had 7 lymph nodes positive really scared me as the tumour was only 22mm and couldn’t be felt easily, it was only the weird indentation that I spotted. Just frightening how quickly it can spread. I know I’ve had surgery and I got a good clearance, chemo, radio, hormone therapy and biosulphates.....but thank goodness I did spot it when I did. Think I might look at getting some counselling x

Hi Jude, that's quite understandable re hair! I used the cold cap for FEC, but it had thinned too much when I started on T. I didn't think I lost all my hair, but my daughter's said that I did! Maybe I was a bit delluded! I think YD felt sorry for me, she said I might have had about 3 strands left!

My hair has grown back really well! I didn't put anything on it to help it's growth and it's so thick I've had to have it thinned at the top twice! I can't say I like it much cause it's got a curl and shorter than I'm used to, but looking at it I don't think anyone would guess that this time last year I didn't have any! (apart from 3 strands! Smiley Happy) Hope your's has started to grow back well.

My eyebrows however seem to have given up half way across!

I'm ok thanks, but have found the emotional side quite hard at times. Probably not helped by the fact that although I finished rads in June, I wasn't told I was NED until just before Christmas. I'd had (still can't get used to saying that!) a few mm's of cancer in my internal mammary chain and both the chemo and rads oncs were confident that the rads would zap it, but I couldn't have a CT too soon afterwards to check, so it's been hanging over me. I've been having some counselling through Macmillan and some massages through a local charity and they're helping. How are you? x

That’s good news Jencat - anything that’s helps to prevent recurrence is worth doing.
Hope you are doing well, as you are 10 months in front of us - did you lose your hair & if so how’s it come back? Sorry I’m a bit obsessed with the hair malarkey
Jude x

Nearly there Sue, I found it was a relief to finish rads more so than the chemo x

Good luck with the radiotherapy Cat, drink plenty of water & keep moisturised!

Hi Jude, Sue, Jo and Cat, I'm from the Oct '17 thread and also on bishosphonates. (Zoldronic Acid) I have a 6 monthly infusion. I'm also post menopause. I had cancer in 3 lymph nodes and TN. I was told by my onc that it helps to stop bc spreading into the bones, but recent studies had also shown that it also helps to prevent a recurrance xx

Good luck with the radiotherapy Cat - I've found it so much easier than chemo.

Remember to moisturise lots - I take some with me to apply after treatment before I get dressed again and then reapply at least twice more during the day.

Sue x

Thanks for the info Jude.

I'm due to have a follow up appointment with the oncologist once my radiotherapy is over so I guess they'll talk to me about further drugs then if necessary.

I finish rads on Thursday and am so looking forward to this stage being over.

Sue xx

And Jo good luck with the trial! 👍

Hi Lovely Ladies,

I started radiotherapy today...1 session down, 19 to go! 😀

Jude/Sue/Jo - I’m also on bisphosphonates, 6 monthly injections for (I think!) 2 years. Similar to Jude I’m 51, post menopause, Her2+ with no spread to lymph nodes. I’m also just starting Tamoxifen.

Keep smiling ladies 😘

Hi Jo

So it’s hormone treatment for you, will that put you into the menopause or have you already had that pleasure? If you have been through it, do you go through it again?

Well done for going with the trial, hopefully you’ll get the product rather than the placebo especially if it’s already had good results with secondary bc

Take care

jude x

Hi Sue

Bisphosphanates prevent loss of bone density, I think breast cancer & the treatment of, can cause bone loss. Why some people are put on it & not others I’m not sure - I’m 56 & post menopause so whether that has any relation to it. My cancer was HER2+ & hadn’t spread to my lymph. One of the oncologists has said bisphosphonates can also help mop up any stray cancer cells in the bones but mine hadn’t spread...

To be honest  I’ll take anything they suggest if it may help

hope you are ok

jude x

Hi Jude,

I’m on Letrozole (hormone tablet) as mine was hormone positive and I’m also on biosulphates but I’m on a 6monthly infusion. I have to go to the chemo unit to have it administered. Interesting how you are on a daily tablet and I’m a 6monthly infusion. 

I was told the biosulphate was because the Letrozole can cause osteoporosis and it is to counteract that SE and also strengthen the bones for any future invasion! Also on Calcium tablets to help the formation of calcium in bones. I will also be on biosulphates for 3years.

Ive also just signed up for a trial so I might be on another drug.....or maybe  it, but whatever I will get additional monitoring so quite pleased about that. The trial is for primary hormone positive cancers with 4-9 lymph nodes involved. 

It’s using a drug that is already been used for advanced cases of bc and can slow down the spread, they are seeing whether it prevents recurrence in primary cases. 

Jo

Hello Jude

If you don't mind me asking - what are the bisphosphonate tablets for? I've never heard of that type of treatment

Sue xx

Hi Jo

I have been using the Nioxin products so whether they have helped...but it is thickening up more than length.

I spoke to my hairdresser on Friday & she will use a dye suited to white/grey hair, she is confident it will take ok

It’s been a tough gig so I think we are entitled to feel a bit emotional at the end of radiotherapy - what additional treatment / medication are you on now?

I’ve got 3 weekly herceptin injections until September & have just started a daily bisphosphonate tablet which I need to take for 3 years

Take care all

jude x