cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

August 2018 Chemo starters

674 REPLIES

Re: August 2018 Chemo starters

Hello all

Jude - sorry to hear you're not liking your chemo curls - I have read previously that they don't last for ever so hopefully your hair will soon return to its pre chemo state ๐Ÿคž. I'm looking more and more tufty every day and as my hair gets longer ie about 2cms now - I'm finding that my wig is sometimes slipping which is becoming a real pain.

On another note has anyone else turned into a bearded lady?? I've noticed over the last week or so the fine downy hair on my face seems to be getting longer. However I'm not sure if it's just returning to its pre chemo state and that I'm noticing it more cos theres no other hair around my face to mask it or if this is a genuine post chemo gift ๐Ÿ˜ฌ.  Luckily its very fair and fine at the moment but if it goes the way of the hair on my head I'll have a grey beard in time for my hols ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚.

Have a fun weekend all 

Sue xxx

Hi all,

Im pleased to report that my hair is now growing well. Eyebrows and eyelashes actually resemble eyebrows and lashes! I had to shave my legs the other day. 

I went away with friends at the weekend and survived......thought I would get tired but managed ok although this week I have been shattered!

Sleeping really well but definitely still tired overall.

Iโ€™m not on herceptin so canโ€™t comment on SEs but I know the hormone tablets are causing me achy joints and tired muscles, sometimes I get up in the morning and canโ€™t actually walk as everything has seized up. Also if I have been sitting down for a while my legs just seize up, oncologists said I need to get back to proper exercise not just walking as that will help muscle issues.

Take Care all.

Jo x

Hi Sue

To be honest they are very unattractive curls mainly around my ears and my hair is still very short, Iโ€™m really not liking it ๐Ÿ™ Iโ€™ve also got a tufty area on the crown!

I am pleased with how my eyebrows & eyelashes are growing now though & like you Tarnia the hair down there is making an appearance although I didnโ€™t lose it totally

Re tiredness how are you all feeling? Iโ€™ve been back at work for 2 weeks & although I feel ok I am tired but not sleeping particularly well. Iโ€™ve read that the side effects of herceptin include tiredness & insomnia so it could be that. Iโ€™m also continuing to have a few nosebleeds within a week of each herceptin injection - anyone else? Itโ€™s not down as a side effect so who knows!

Take care all x

Hi Jude,

I didnโ€™t lose all my hair because of cold capping but all of it has started growing really curly which for me is really strange as Iโ€™ve always had dead straight hair! Not quite sure what to do with it but Iโ€™m just thankful itโ€™s hair and growing ๐Ÿ˜‚ I finish radiotherapy on 8/3 so Iโ€™m going to book myself in to get it dyed on 9/3 something to look forward to! 

My eyebrows are growing back too and top eyelashes on one eye but no signs on the other eye just yet...oh and my lady garden is growing well too ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ not that Iโ€™ve missed that!!

sue glad your nasal hair is growing, no more runny noses for you ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ

Take care all

Tarnia xx

Curly hair Jude - how exciting! Mine is still at the spikey stage - i  look like I'm  a leading character in the Tufty club ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ. I went public with my own hair yesterday - Im at a spa for a few days so not able to wear my wig in the steam rooms and saunas etc

Sue xx

*Not quite mascara ready

Hi Sue

Giud news re the nasal hair!

My is coming back as well & itโ€™s great not to have a permanent runny nose!

my eyebrows & eyelashes are filling out as well which is good, but quite mascara ready but getting there

My hair is starting to go curly...

Jude x

Highlighted

I might be over sharing but this will mean nothing to the others in my life - but I was so excited to see just now that my nose hair is back ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘.

Happy Monday all 

Sue xx ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜

Hi Sue

Glad the acupuncture is working for you. Iโ€™ve also heard that massaging the scalp helps the hair to grow. Iโ€™ve also heard that black Jamaican castor oil is also very good for hair growth so Iโ€™ve been massaging that into my scalp and leaving it overnight to see if it speeds things up! Only time will tell!

Have a good weekend all 

Tarnia xx

Hi Sue

Thatโ€™s good news that the acupuncture seems to be helping your hot flushes! 

Iโ€™m going to take up the hairbrush challenge, itโ€™s definitely worth giving it a go, pleased that itโ€™s seems to be working for you

Take care

Jude x

Morning ladies - hope ur all doing ok.

Just wanted to let you know that the Acupuncture sessions I've been having for hot flushes etc seem to have produced positive results - whilst they haven't gone completely they have reduced in frequency and intensity so probably worth a try if you are being affected by them.

And also I've been doing a little solo experiment too! I remember reading yonks ago that brushing your hair encourages it to grow - something to do with stimulating the hair follicles if I remember correctly. So, whilst my hair doesn't by any stretch of the imagination actually need to be brushed I've been religiously brush my hair / scalp twice a day for the last week and I don't know if it's coincidence or if this actually works but I'm convinced I've had a growth spurt since I started. I'm not saying it's definitely worked but I'm going to continue to do it - so again anyone who's frustrated that your hair isn't coming back as fast as you'd hoped maybe reach for that hairbrush. I'm obsessively doing ten stokes front to back in sections all over my head. Fingers crossed.

Enjoy ur weekends and if anyone takes on the hairbrush challenge - post updates on the results.

Sue xx

Hi Ladies

Tarnia, I do drink more now than I did pre chemo I think it is a good habit to get into, although without scaremongering it can be a sign of diabetes so may be worth seeing a doctor or mentioning it to your oncologist or breast care nurse if you are excessively thirsty.

Sue, good luck on the trial & well done on booking lots of hols! Itโ€™s great having things to look forward to during the winter

Donโ€™t rush back to work. I think everyone needs to do it in their  own time. I found that now Iโ€™m feeling stronger I felt like I needed to get a routine back & luckily I had changed to a 4 day week 18 months ago. This week has gone ok but Iโ€™m glad itโ€™s friday tomorrow!

take care all

Jude x

Hi Tarnia

I'm certainly drinking more water than I did previously but I think that's possibly habit from chemo days. I also wonder if there may be a chance that your body got used to more water during chemo so is asking for it by telling you you're thirsty?

In other news I signed up for the add aspirin trial yesterday so I'm starting the run in period today, will have a check up in 8 weeks or so and if all is ok I'll be on to the 5yr trial. It's a randomised allocation of drugs so neither I nor my doctors will know what I'm getting.

And in yet more news I've been on a holiday booking rampage and in the course of a week booked 3 holidays which are in addition to the ones we've already got planned. One is only for two nights but I'm still counting it ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

We'll done on going back to work Jude - I'm not quite ready yet - I'm starting to do more but still getting tired quite easily so not sure it's the right thing for me to go back just yet as I want to make sure that when I am back  I'm not spending to much of.my time away from work during my phased return recovering from being at work. I'm also thinking of going back part-time if that's an option but will leave that until I've been back a while - see how things go 

Hope everyone is doing ok 

Sue xxx

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask you all if any of you are thirsty all the time? I finished chemo 10 weeks ago but I find Iโ€™m constantly thirsty! Not sure if this is normal or something I should be worried about ๐Ÿค” 

On a positive note my first radiotherapy all went to plan today. 1 done just 22 to go.

Jude - well done on going back to work. A bit of normality back in your life. Itโ€™s good to be getting back to normal.

Tarnia xx 

Hi Tarnia

Good luck with the radiotherapy - donโ€™t forget plenty of water & moisturiser & if you do have any issues tell the radiographers as they can help

Well done on booking the holiday, it will come round really fast

I started back at work this week & itโ€™s going better than I expected! 

Jo - hope your check up went ok 

Take care ladies

jude x

Hi All

I finally start radiotherapy tomorrow! Iโ€™m having 4 and a half weeks. Glad to be on the last leg of this journey but have to admit Iโ€™m not looking forward to the 25 mile round trip everyday ๐Ÿคจ 

Jude today Iโ€™ve also booked a holiday to Mexico going in April! Itโ€™s always good to have something to look forward to and boy do we all deserve it! 

Hope everyone is doing well.

Tarnia x

Hi Cat

I'm the same trying to eat better & exercise more, although I have had a bar of chocolate today!

My diet was shocking during chemo & Iโ€™ve put a good 7-10lbs on - got to lose it as Iโ€™m going to Mexico in just over 6 weeks!

jude x

Hi Jo

That sounds good, youโ€™ll obviously get monitored more which can only be a good thing

Hope you donโ€™t have any tricky side effects

Jude x

Hi Jude,
Thanks for sharing the link, interesting. Itโ€™s hard to know what to eat and drink sometimes isnโ€™t it! I think ultimately I will aim to have a well balanced diet, maintain a healthy weight and take regular exercise.
Great that you have a plan in place, I donโ€™t have one yet but suspect it will be similar. Although I wonder when/if they perform scans as a way to confirm there is no longer any evidence of disease (NED)....

Hi Jo,
Good luck with the trial! My understanding is that another positive about being on a trial is that they will keep a close eye on your health.

Best wishes. Cat ๐Ÿ˜˜

Hi Jude,

Its the MonarchE trial, phase 3. Basically the drug is already being used for patients with advanced BC (hormone positive) as it reduces growth/spread. The trial is looking at whether the drug will prevent recurrence in people that have had hormone+ve BC. Iโ€™ll still have my treatment as planned - hormone therapy and biosulphates but with the added drug.

Jo x