cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August 2018 Chemo starters

Re: August 2018 Chemo starters

Hi Jude,

Its the MonarchE trial, phase 3. Basically the drug is already being used for patients with advanced BC (hormone positive) as it reduces growth/spread. The trial is looking at whether the drug will prevent recurrence in people that have had hormone+ve BC. I’ll still have my treatment as planned - hormone therapy and biosulphates but with the added drug.

Jo x

Hi Jo
Good luck with the trial, personally if I was on a trial I think I would want the actual drug concerned
Which trial is it? Apologies if you have told us previously - memory like a sieve!
Jude x

Hi all,

Just a little update- I’ve signed up to a trial and have been randomised to get the drug! 

Initially pleased about this but pick up drugs tomorrow so starting to get apprehensive 😬 

Jo x

Jo - yes it was good to be know how it will work going forward & I do like a plan

Good luck with your appointment x

Jude,

That all sounds positive and some reassurance to know you will be having mammograms regularly for ten years. 

Im seeing my surgeon on Friday and like you I had surgery in June. Hopefully I’ll get a follow up plan as well.

Take care

jo x

Quick update
I’ve had an appointment with the surgeon today (my op was last June) he’s very pleased with how I’ve healed from the surgery etc 😊.
I’ll have my next mammogram in June, then on an annual basis for 10 years (I was expecting 5 years).
Providing mammogram is ok in June I’ll then be discharged from the surgery follow up clinic. The breast care nurses will still be accessible if I have any concerns.
I think I will keep seeing the oncologist until I’ve finished the herceptin injections which will be end of September
x

Hi ladies

For those if you starting on tamoxifen, I’ve just seen this on another forum

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/292879.php

Worth a read x
Highlighted

Hi Jo,

Aren’t we the lucky one’s! 😂
Hopefully we won’t even notice..... 👍

Cat 😘

Thanks for the link Tarnia

Sue x

Hi again Sue
I also take Tumeric 😂😂 my husband started taking it for his knees (he needs new ones but us too young ) and he swears by it! And again if you google it Tumeric is good for so many things including cancer so that’s why I started taking it also! It’s a natural anti inflammatory which is why it’s good for joints.

Tarnia x

Hi Sue
I will try find the link and post it.
My oncologist told me the way it works is by thinning your blood so it’s not so sticky therefore cancel cells are less likely to stick to platelets and be transported around the body. Another reason why I didn’t want to do the trial because I could have 1. Been given fake Asprin 2. Been give low dose Asprin or 3. Regular dose Asprin and I didn’t fancy taking regular dose everyday 😐 I know stomach ulcers can be a side effect of Asprin but for me the chances of it reducing a recurrence outways the chances of a stomach ulcer!
See what your oncologist says they are the experts after all.

Tarnia x

Tarnia

Thanks for the tip re Add Asprin
I'll see what my onc says. Do you have any links you can post re the positive link between cancer and Asprin?
I must admit I was a bit freaked last week after reading negative things about taking regular doses of Asprin - it was in the Daily Mail though so not sure how factual it might be 😬

Sue xx

Hi Jude
Good job on the colour and hopefully it will thicken up quickly.

I've got an appointment next week so I'll ask about the supplements you take.

Someone I've been talking to today swears by tumeric for achy joints - I've heard of this before so will look into it and speak to the oncologist and my GP. Anyone else use tumeric?
Ive just had the last of my 4 complimentary acupuncture sessions to help with hot flushes - I can report that whilst they haven't gone completely they have receeded in both volume and intensity of occurrence so definitely worthwhile looking into. If anyone is under Weston Park in Sheffield you can get them free at the cancer support center.

Hope you are all well and keeping warm - it's a bit nippy out there today in Yorkshire.

Sue xx

Hello
Calling all ladies looking for holiday insurance - I've just got a really good deal with Staysure - £118 for a comprehensive annual policy for Europe covering my BC and my other halfs IBS. It would have been £96 had I not needed cruise cover!

Sue xx

Hi Cat, 

I’m on Letrozole and not Tamoxifen but hair thinning is also a SE of that drug!

jo x

Hi Jude,
I will give Good to go a call once I get something booked up....I better pull my finger out and get it sorted! I’m hoping I get a good covering of hair before I go too! Don’t forget to bring your sun block 😀
Hi Tarnia, I guess there are pros and cons of having ongoing treatment; and I just have to hope I don’t suffer too badly with SEs.
Jude, I agree with you, this forum has been a great support as we go through our treatment 🙏 🙏
Take care ladies 😘

Hi everyone 

Sue, I got offered the Asprin trial but I didn’t like the placebo part as I’ve read before how well Asprin works against cancer! So I spoke to my oncologist about it and she’s happy for me to take a low dose Asprin every day 75mg which you can buy of the counter. You could do this yourself too and then you wouldn’t be part of a trial so wouldn’t get problems with insurance 🤔 ....just a thought x

Jude, I’m so glad your hair was a success. Don’t worry about it still being thin in places it won’t take long to thicken up, will be getting thicker everyday x

Cat, I’m triple negative so after radiotherapy I’m on my own 🤨 there is no targeted therapy for tripple negative but hopefully your hair will be just fine on Tamoxifen X

lots of love all

Tarnia x

Hi Cat

We are going to Mexico mid March for 11 days & we are using Good to go insurance - £260.

I’m on herceptin & bisphosponates & my husband had a brain haemorrhage 12 years ago & is on medication for epilepsy & high blood pressure; so I didn’t think that was too bad

I'm not brave enough to go without headwear or a wig yet, mainly because the growth & thickness is patchy in parts. Although I do sit around the house & answer the door bareheaded 😂

I've got 7 weeks until we go to Mexico so I’m hoping it loooks ok by then

Sorry I was ERnegative so don’t need tamoxifen - hope some of the other ladies can assist, good luck with it 

I also just wanted to say how useful this chemo thread has been for me, I think it’s really helped with the physical aspects of cancer/chemo & also the emotional side of going through it with ladies who understand - thanks to all of you 👍

Big love

Jude x 

Hi Jo, don’t be too hard on yourself, your doing really well with the exercise. I can’t even imagine running but I am walking most days.....my goal is to do an average of 10,000 steps every day and looks like this week I will do it for the first time! 👍 I wish my hair was blonde too but given I dyed it that colour for years that is very unlikely! 😂

Hi Sue, We’re hoping to go away for a bit of sun in March (not booked it yet) so just starting to look at travel insurance, but I’m not on a trial so haven’t come across that problem. It might be a case of ringing a few different insurers. Difficult decision to make about going ahead with the trial or not.

Hi Jude, good to hear the colour took well, never really know what it’s going to look like until you give it a go and at least we can experiment with different colours for a while 😄 Are you going without wig/hat now?

I’ve recently started taking tamoxifen and one (of the many potential side effects) is hair thinning so I am praying that I’m not one of the unlucky ones who gets that s/e! Anybody else on Tamoxifen? How are you getting on?

Take care ladies
Cat 😘