cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April 2019 Chemo Starters 💖

Re: April 2019 Chemo Starters 💖

Herceptin injections for 10 years? It should only be for 12 months. You may need to double check that hun, as on NHS website it also says for 1 year. 

I’m having a bit of a strange one today- I keep thinking ‘what if the chemo doesn’t shrink the tumour?’ (As I am yet to have my op, which will be after my chemo). I just hope that it does.

It’s such a scary time. It really is.

Day 4 for me today, feeling ok although still a bit lightheaded.  Not ventured out far just into the garden, quite cold out there despite the sun. My HER2 results came back yesterday - unfortunately they are positive (which i did expect because they were borderline) this means i will start Herceptin and Perjeta along with Dox... on the 4th chemo cycle.  Then after surgery and radiotherapy - which i knew about - it will be Herceptin injections for 10 years.

Lovely sunny morning here. Day 5 for me and feeling pretty good, back to walking the dog etc. No sign of hair loss but probably got that to come, I'm keeping everything trimmed!! I've had 3 surgeries and rads since 2014, my last one was for a recurrence in the nodes from 2014. I've been very lucky there is no sign of spread but this time its chemo, to hopefully have a good mop up of any lurking beasties. Keep plugging away everyone, crossing off the days now and we'll get there!  xx

Am on day 11 of TC and the hair is definitely starting to go! Feels a little weird not sure at what point to just brave the shave as the moulting is gonna get out of hand I reckon. Ive been laughing wondering if the same thing happens with pubes and whether I should tidy them up similarly, or it might look like a tarantula had landed! (Too much? Too soon?) 

I had a crazy bonkers itchy head on about day 5-6, so that must have been the hair follicles protesting. My kids said I made them  feel itchy I was scratching so much!  looking forward however to no grooming requirements (e.g legs and armpits) - silver linings and all that.  

Otherwise similar effects to others. My vein had complained and come up quite sore, have been icing it and a bit of hydrocortisone. 

I have had on and off a sore mouth and throat, found the best thing is salty water with a bit of bicarb in it, better than all the mouthwashes they have given me. Just rinse with it often. 

Good luck people, we’re surviving! 

I wasn't too nauseous tbh and the couple if times I felt a bit queasy I just popped one of the antisickness meds they gave me, seemed to work. But have heard the sickness is worse on the fec regimes. How you doing? X 

Very wise to raise it with the doctors, I probably did not stress it enough. The one that seems to be helping me most is Metroclopramide, but we're all different of course.It only lasted about 24 hours for me and I've felt better really quickly xx

Thank you for your reply. I too get sick easily. I was extremely sick during pregnancy having to take three different anti sickness to survive. I've already mentioned it to the doctors so hoping I can have the works as i still need to function as a mum first and foremost. 

Xx

Hi Zoe,

I've just started FEC T after surgery and not cold capping, I get migraines too! I might get a wig but also stocked up with bandanas etc. I'm on day 4 now and have to say I was very sick on day 2 and overnight, but my hospital have been great and have sorted out loads of extra anti sickness meds and I'm fine today. I get sick easily (just a feeble tum I think!) and its clear lots of people don't, but if you do - help is there. I'm sorry you are going through this at such a young age (I'm 64). Your girls sound lovely. Good luck Mo xx  

Hi Sharon

ive not had the nausea but I have felt like my body was shaky & i put it down to the horrible steroids. It’s funny you should mention a prickly scalp, I woke up this morning & my hair near my crown hurts. I was told at chemo on Monday that I wouldn’t have any hair by next Monday but at present none has fell out but as your post says perhaps it’s now about to start. I’m collecting my wig tomorrow but seem to already have a collection of scarves/bandannas etc but I’ve no idea how to tie them so they look funky! My mouth is also getting worse, the taste is really weird but on the whole I’m doing ok. Stay strong everyone, we are gonna kick ass on cancer 💕

Hi all. 

New to this forum so thought I would drop in to say Hi.

Is anyone starting FEC-T.

I'm 38 and a mum of 7 year old twins girlies. I've had my surgery and my first of three rounds of FEC is on 18th April then followed by three round of T then to Radiotherepy. 

Feeling ok about it, which people seem to think is rather strange. Had my long hair cut off to shoulder length in preparation as I've decided not to cold cap as I suffed migraines and im not keen on having a cold head. Fully prepared for the hair loss.  Although the oncologist say that my hair might not fall out on the FEC, I have a colleague who lost hers on the first treatment. At least were coming into the summer months not the winter. 

My gorgeous girls are my rocks. They are fully aware of what is happening to Mummy and they will be the ones to shave my head when the time comes. 

We are all amazing going through this blip in our lives and it's a fight we must never give into. 

Zoe xx

Hi Christine18

when I have double dose chemo I have emend antisickness one hour before my Chemo and for 2 mornings after, also Ondansetron 8mg anti sickness which I took one tablet at 8pm the same night of Chemo & 8am & 8pm the next day. I also had steroids dexamethasone which I had to take 2 tablets twice a day for 3 days starting after chemo, I also came home with metoclopramide anti sickness tabs to take as & when needed but I’ve not taken any of them, I’ve only had one time when I felt sick but this passed. Remember to drink lots of fluids to flush everything out of your system. When we just have the Paclitaxel you don’t get the anti sickness tab to take beforehand & you don’t come home with any meds. But it’s not made me feel sick at all. I have found ginger nut biscuits do help & eat small amounts & often. I’ve been In at work today for 5 hours. Trying to hi in when I can. You sound quite positive Christine & sickness should pass after 3 days. Fingers crossed for your next Chemo. Good luck to everyone else reading 👍🏻

Hi everyone

My infection has cleared and have got new date of 18th April for my first chemo, have had bra and prosthesis fitting this week, my fitter is trying to find me some more feminine bra’s, just because I have had a mastectomy doesn’t mean I don’t want ‘nice’ looking bra’s rather than what my grandma used to wear. Don’t get me started on the underwear to match. Has anyone else decided not to wear a wig, I am just going for lots of hats and scarves.

Hope everyone is feeling good today

Hi Christine (and everyone else),

I can relate on the nausea! Day 3 and 4 were the worst; today's day 5 and not great but better than I was! So glad to hear from people further along that it gets better! 
Has anyone felt shaky? Not sure that it's steroids related as I had it again today. Trying not to eat more since my appetite is up the pole with nausea!

My scalp is starting to feel prickly, which I am told is the precursor to hair loss.

Thankfully, my taste hasn't changed at all so I guess in the grand scheme of things, I am getting off lightly!

Good luck ladies and be strong. We got this!

Sharon xxx

Hi NikNak5

I’ve really suffered from nausea the last two days. I just constantly feel sick. I just have to think of food and it makes me feel bleurgh. I’ve not been sick just feeling it. I’ve got domperidone but that’s it, what have you been given? I think I need to ask for something else as it doesn’t seem to be working. 

Otherwise, I’ve been pretty lucky I think. I’ve been tired but managing to get out and do some long walks. It’s just this sickness feeling, if I didn’t have that I’d be ok, it’s stopping me in my tracks from doing more. 

I’m glad the weekly Paclitaxel has been ok, does it make you feel sick at all?

The only other side effect I have had is hip pain, I’m hoping it’s from the injection and my bone marrow responding to it! 

Good luck for your next chemo session! And good luck to everyone else out there

Christine 💕

Hi Ladies

My mouth tastes really tinny, i am still lightheaded with the steriods although last one today so hopefully this will stop over weekend.  Appetite a little sluggish, but again i don't know if i am feeling sorry for myself and making it worse.  Hope everyone is coping with the side-effects i am sure they pass.  I keep popping onto the Feb starters and they are all doing great which is really inspiring for me.  

Take Care💖

Hi Hannahlizzy21

i too find it hard to tolerate the steroids! I’m so glad I dont have them each time I have my chemo. They made me spaced out, dizzy, faint, blurred vision. I met with my doctor today & we are going to see if things ease or whether I need to take a lower dose as they knocked me for six. How’s everyones mouths? My taste is yucky x

Hi Christine18

sorry for late reply. Hope your first chemo went ok & hope you didn’t suffer any nausea/sickness? It’s. It’s nice to know someone else is on the same regime as me. Looking back the first week hit me harder than just the single dose of Paclitaxel, so if you do feel really tired you won’t feel as tired in weeks 2 & 3. I had long brown hair down to my bra strap but got it cut to a bob just before my chemo started. I’m 11 days in & still have all my hair, haven’t used a cold cap but don’t wash my hair as much, hairdryer on really low & no straighteners. I’m collecting my wig on Saturday & I’ve also ordered a couple of headscarves/hats from hipheadwear.  I’m 46, you are so young but we will fight this horrible thing & we will get through it. Our journeys are just beginning but the support/advice on here is great. You will have good days & I hope these all fall on the days of your weddings you need to attend, you will look gorgeous I’m sure. I don’t know if you are but I’m writing a daily journal of how I’m feeling each day, that way I can look back on previous weeks if I’m having a rough day. Good Luck Christine18 😊

Hiya Debi

I had never self injected before and to be honest, didn’t think I could as I hate needles, but they are so thin, it went it really easily and with no pain. I just pinch some tummy fat and jab it in quick. I sat there the first time just hovering over my skin, but my sister was there encouraging me. I counted down from 5 and did it. I was so proud of myself !

I was meant to have a PICC line put in, but bottled out last minute. The thought of it was probably worse than what it will be. I am now considering going to get it done before my next chemo. At least it will only be once as opposed to each time I go.

good luck with your treatment.

Ive felt great the last 2 days, pretty much normal, but just easily tired if I do too much. Im listening to my body and resting when I need to x

ALSO! Cold capping ladies- I also thought I would mention that I am 10 days post chemo, and I have had minimal hair loss after cold capping. I have washed my hair maybe 3 times since chemo day, with baby shampoo, Luke warm water and Aussie Stop The Break leave in conditioner, and as I say... minimal hair loss. I hope this continues! X

The steroids were bloody awful for me!!

Was glad to see the back of them for the first cycle.

Yes, this was my first chemo round, and I’m on day 10, and I really do feel great.

The District nurses won’t think you are wasting their time though. That’s their job. They are here to help people in need- and unfortunately at the minute, that’s all of us on here! (But it won’t be forever) x

Hi Hannahlizzy21

Unfortunatley my OH doesn't do needles and neither does my son!, they are both quite squeamish.  Lovely to here you are feeling ok on day 10, is this after your first chemo session?  I hope you have a great time in Wales. Just had some porridge and my steriod tablet and now to jump in the shower.  Everything seems to be slow motion today.  

Self injecting isn’t that bad once you get past the first needle.

Either that, or do you have a family member who could maybe do it for you? My OH was going to do it for me, but in the end I was just like ‘bam’ I’m gonna be brave and do it 😂- to his shock! 

I’m on day 10 now, and I feel really good after chemo. I’m going to see my sister in Wales for Easter weekend, before it all starts all over again on bank holiday Monday. 

Oh well, when it’s in our system, although it makes us feel lousy, as least we know the little buggers are being killed! X

Hi Kelly73 and Sue

My treatment is also the same as yours, i am now on day 3.  Straight after chemo i felt fine but then later in day felt very sick and lethargic. Day 2 only a little nausea and tiredness so just sat in garden for some fresh air, today i feel ok but just not my whole self!  I think the steriods are making me a little light aheaded too, hopefully this will go once i have finished them. 

Do you take your temperature every day? 

Kelly had you ever self injected before? I don't know wheter i can do it, i have been changed on to injections from tablets for my blood thinners - from previous DVT - and i have to have the district nurse out to do it for me. I would much rather do it myself so i don't take up their time but can't get over the barrier of sticking it in😳

Sue, try not to worry - i know its easier said then done, i even had a cry when i was ther before they started! The nurses are lovely and are always there.  My sideffects are like a bad hangover without the headache just the sicky feeling and tiredness.  Just come on here to talk, all the ladies are going through the same thing and they are so lovely.

We will get through this. 

Take care ladies

Debi💖

Ps... the steroids made me feel completely spaced out, but was only on them for 3 days x

Hiya Sue

sorry to hear you are on this journey too, but we are all here to help each other 

Actually having the chemo was no problem at all. I was sick later that day, then spent the next few days just feeling nauseas on and off. My energy levels were very low too, as was my mood and I spent most of my time either in bed or on the sofa. Think I was just getting frustrated with not being able to do anything. I’m on day 8 now and had a great day today, out and about pretty much all day. I had 1 spell of dizziness, but it went after I ate. I managed to get out also, the last 2 days, just for a bit of fresh air, but was then wiped out. I’ve also had to self inject since day 3, which is boosting my white blood cells. I really didn’t fancy this at all, but it’s been fine. Just hoping the next 2 weeks are good, before I do it all again.

Hope all goes well for you

Kelly x

@Kelly73 wrote:

Hiya All

I start my chemo on 3/4. Having 3 sessions of EC then 3 sessions of Docataxel, followed by 3 weeks of Radiotherapy.

goid luck to everyone having treatment x

@Kelly73 wrote:

Hiya All

I start my chemo on 3/4. Having 3 sessions of EC then 3 sessions of Docataxel, followed by 3 weeks of Radiotherapy.

goid luck to everyone having treatment x

Hi kelly73

I start my chemo on 16th april and im having the same as u - EC for 3 sessions then docataxel then radiotherapy.  Can i ask how are u coping so far? What side effects have u had?

Sue xx

Hi kelly73

I start my chemo on 16th april and im having the same as u - EC for 3 sessions then docataxel then radiotherapy.  Can i ask how are u coping so far? What side effects have u had?

Sue xx

ktk

Hi Sharon, you will start to feel better in a day or two. If you are on a three weekly cycle you will be able to make plans as normal for the latter half. Don’t suffer the nausea, especially if you are being sick. Give your helpline a ring and get them to tweet your meds. Kx

Hi Llangal,

How are you coping with your particular concoction? I'm only on day 3 but feeling lousy today... :-( Please tell me the nausea dissipates!!?

Sharon

Debi2 and Nik nak I was exactly the same befotr mu chemo started a nervous wreck and so worried about the process i also didnteven want to start it. However Im on day 9 now and feel so much better now some of its out the way and you can start to see how you will cope with it. I just hope it works! 

Hi,

I had my first chemo today, wasn’t too bad at all once it all started. Had a 4 hour wait to begin with and still don’t know why. Was in from 8am till 5pm then a drive back to my parents house so only got in at 7.30. Other than being tired, so far so good! 

The chlorophenamine made me feel so tired straight away, felt like I was going to fall to sleep instantly. She got a bit worried but it passed. 

Cold capping - first 10 mins was painful but bareable. Then it was absolutely fine! I played cards with my sister and mum so that passed he time and distracted me from my cold head! Hopefully it’ll work but if not, it’s not the end of the world. 

Good luck to those waiting for their chemo. All the nurses were lovely. I went in so prepared for everything - ginger tablets, travel sickness bands, blanket etc. And hardly used them. 

Christine xx

Hi Everyone   I'm so pleased i found this forum,this is my first post. although i've been reading for a while,   Pre-chemo clinic was today then start first cycle on Thursday.  HER2+  and one node involved, plus  CT showed up a nodule on my lung.  Was to be EC -T for four cyples but now getting targeted therapies first. Docetaxel (taxotere). Herceptin and pertuzumab.  lung nodule may or may not be spread from breast, if chemo shrinks it then its a met, if stays same its benign -   anyone else dealing with this situation?   Would very much like to share how it goes

Wishing everyone luck.  when i learn how to I'll send hearts adn hugs     xxx     

Hi

Back from my first chemo session.  It was fine, stings a little going in but a nurse was there all the time to reassure.  Cold cap was better than what i thought too.  First 5 mins it feels the coldest then head must get used to it because i didn't really notice it - i did ask the nurse if it had turned off at one point.  Try not to worry if you still have your first session to do, nurses are great and its not as bad as you are thinking its going to be.

My son made me a little bed up on sofa in case i didn't feel well but i am just going to peg out a load of washing then get our dinner and then i may have a little lie down - well, it would be rude not to wouldn't it!

Good luck everyone for upcoming chemo sessions💖💖

Good luck to everyone having their chemo today and tomorrow 💕

Christine, I too have a phobia of vomiting! But the anti sickness tablets they give you are a god send. 

I had my chemo a week ago today, and I think I had delayed nausea/ vomiting on Sunday night. However, I took the anti sickness tablets they gave me, and they worked wonders x

Morning, 

Good luck for today, I hope everything goes as well as it can do. Just keep those weddings in mind and I’m sure that will help. Good luck with the cold cap too, my first chemo is tomorrow and I’m going to try the cold cap but I think I’m more nervous of that than the chemo. 

Take care, Mandy xx

Good Morning Debi,

Good luck for today, I can understand your nerves, my first chemo is tomorrow and I’m already feeling it. Good luck with the cold cap too. A few more hours and this first one will be under your belt, I’m sure that will be such a good feeling as it will be one nearer to the end of treatment. 

Take care, Mandy xx

Good morning everyone.

My first chemo is today, very nervous to say the least!  I will let you know how the cold cap goes and whether i stick it out.  I chose my wig yesterday just in case.  

Christine 18 best of luck  for today, i will be thinking of you. 

Catch up with you all later💖

Hi NikNak5 (and everyone else)

I start Chemo tomorrow, very nervous! Feel like I've been waiting for this day for ages and couldn't wait to get started but now reality has set in and I'm a little scared. 

I'm on the same regime as you NikNak5: 12 weeks of paclitaxel combined with carboplatin every third week. Then I'll be having FEC for 3 cycles. 

I have a fear of vomiting so this is what I'm most scared of but hopefully the concoction of anti-emetics will sort me out.  I'm going to be trying cold capping and hoping it will work, I had long blonde hair but I recently got it cut short so the tangles will be a bit more manageable. If it doesn't work then I have a wig on standby. I'm only 28 and have three weddings to go to in the next three month, one is on my birthday and one I'm a bridesmaid for so I'm very anxious that I either will be too unwell to go or look a bit of a state. 

Good luck to you all, 

Christine 💕

Re: Morning all! I am starting chemo next Monday. My picc lin...

Hi Sharon,

thank you. I hope today went well for you and you’re feeling ok. I’m not surprised you don’t do cold growing up in Africa, I have difficulty with it and I’ve lived in the North all my life. I wouldn’t be surprised if I wimp out of the cold cap too although I’m going to try my best not to. I picked my wig up today, it felt strange but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. 

We have got this, I hope you feel ok.

Mandy xx

Evening ❤️ I’ve been trying to remind myself that every day is one more closer to the end of treatment. Today has been tough though, I kept on remembering how different my life was just a few weeks ago, pre-diagnosis. I get a massive headache with these injections and that hasn’t helped my melancholy mood. But enough of my pity party! I’ve spent the afternoon trying to teach the little one how to ride her bike, I’ve given myself a mini facial and picked myself up. Weird question, does anyone know if we can eat sauerkraut?? I mean technically it’s got live cultures in it 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Hi Debi,

Thanks, fingers crossed you keep your hair,I hope the cold cap works for you. Xx

Hi Mandyr44,

Good luck for Wednesday. I had my first treatment today. Different concoction of course but still... I had originally planned to coldcap but I wimped out at the last minute. I don't do cold of any sort (grew up in Africa and lived there again for the last 12 years). I have thin hair and I believe some falls out so I would need a cap or wig anyway. I'm not precious and have no upcoming functions! Let us know how it goes?

Good luck to everyone this week. We got this!

sharon 

I had the perjeta on the Monday, and then the herceptin on the Tuesday, as I had to be monitored for 6 hours after having herceptin for the first time.

I’m sure you will be having them with your chemo, as without the chemo, I’ve been told they don’t work (or as well) x

Hi 

Good morning everyone!

Mandyr44 all the best for this week, i will let you know how i get on with the cold cap. Hopefully i will keep my hair, i have a wedding to go to on 27th April.

Hannahlizzy did you start with Herceptin and perjeta at the first chemo session?  I am going to speak to my chemo nurse because she didn't mentioned it to me even though my consultant said i would be having that and perjeta.

💖

Hi Debi,

I am starting chemo on Wednesday, I have a pre chemo session on Tuesday so hopefully I will find out more then. I have no idea what to expect but I am worried about it. I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer six weeks ago after finding a lump. Everything has happened so fast since then, there have been so many CT and MRI scans as they found other things in various places but luckily nothing else confirmed, they will just rescan me after chemo. 

I am also going to try the cold cap, I wasn’t going to as I read a lot of negative things about it but I know if I don’t give it a try I will regret it. Good luck with yours, 

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hannahlizzy, everyone’s chemo is tailored specifically for each individual, it’s not a one size fits all and dosage will also be tailored specifically for each individual 👍👍your teams are experts and will take good care of you, you just keep safe and ring that rapid response like Batman’s bat phone, your teams would rather you ring and discuss any concerns so they can do all they can for you. Don’t ever thing oh, i’ll Leave that a bit, always please ring to keep safe. Get a meet up planned for when you are all through ❤️❤️We had a weekend in London meet up and hired a room at the arch and had afternoon tea, it was first class and wonderful (the ritz didn’t want to accommodate us) so don’t bother trying with them. 💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Hello ladies!

I hope everyone is coping well with their chemo. 

Quick update from me- I had my herceptin, perjeta, docetaxel and Carboplatin over Monday and Tuesday. It hit me hard like a ton of bricks!!

Today I feel the most normal than I have done for days. I had to ring my hospital hotline as I had a rash all over/ flu symptoms and nausea. They said to monitor it.

My temp was high yesterday, but not really a big cause for concern.

I hope that’s it for feeling crappy now, and the next 2 weeks before my next cycle are fine 🤞🏻.

I have also come out in lots of spots from the steroids, which is rubbish! But I think it must be working as my body is feeling the effects?

Does anyone know how the onc team decide which chemo to give you? 

Thanks so much,

Hannah x

Hi ladies,

I'm on 6 cycles of FEC-T and had my first on Friday.

I can honestly say that apart from being a little more tired I have been ok so far. 

I used the cold cap, which wasn't as cold as I imagined it would be.

The community nurses are coming in to do my injections, so if you don't get on with doing it yourself ask for a referral.

I'm sure every cycle will be different but I'm just taking it one at a time. Much as i want to be at work, as this is normsl life, I'm not allowed to work as I'm in healthcare and the infection risk is too high, so the benefit is I get to have the Easter holidays with my family instead.

Hi Jo. My second chemo is tomorrow. It’s been a funny week. Tuesday I was ok, Wednesday totally wiped out in bed, Thursday 4 hours at work, Friday pjs & sofa, yesterday I managed to go grocery shopping then had to come home & lay down. I’ve not been sick but the steroids have made be spaced out, blurry vision & feeling faint so no looking forward to those again this coming week. I never knew I’d have to self inject for 5 days after chemo! I hate needles. Picc line was the best thing I ever did. My Chemo is over 12 weeks - week 1 Paclitaxel & carboolatin, week 2 & 3 just Paclitaxel then the double again for 4 cycles then 4 lots of FEC three weekly. I’m hoping next week I’ll feel slightly better. The frustration of not having the energy is really the thing that gets me the most. Sorry for long post but I wish each and every one of you all the best & stay strong, have wobbles like me & we will do this. Let me know how you get on as it’s good to hear others experienced ❤️

Hi jo,

i had similar experience with first chemo and ended up in a&e twice. This time I’ve been much better. Still some nausea but better. I don’t seem to be as strong as some ladies here as 4 days after chemo I’m still spending a lot of time just lying in bed with the dogs even though some people are back at work! Last time I started to feel loads better after the injections stopped so hopefully same this time. I try to remember that every chemo is one closer to the end ❤️❤️