cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

April 2019 Chemo Starters πŸ’–

Re: April 2019 Chemo Starters πŸ’–

I've finally got tearful about my hair today.

I've had two FEC so far and cold capped as I have long hair and wanted to give it a chance, especially as my child is frightened of seeing me with no hair. Next one in 11 days.

Loads seen to come out after washing it today, and I cried. It's been shedding but not this level. It's also getting very knotted, but the wig lady will cut it shorter when she sees me. I can't face going to my normal hairdresser.

Got a few funny looks when I wore a headband type scarf (Buff brand) yesterday when I was out, so I don't want to go out to pubs / restaurants now.

I've been very lucky with side effects so far, not taking any anti-emetics or steroids with or following chemo, but this hair loss one is so upsetting. Whilst I still have a covering, it is so thin and there are a couple of small hairless spots. 

Also considering changing oncologist as she isn't prescribing in a timely manner, and wanted to prescribe something not in NICE guidelines without discussion with me & my appointments keep being cancelled or aren't in the timescales she said which gives me no confidence whatsoever.

Thenks Shi I think I managed to persuade someone starting chemo Wednesday who I met by chance today to at least give the cold cap a go ... it worries me terribly that some may turn down chemo because they cannot face losing their hair . I know for many it is not an issue but for others major deterrent . Two days after third FEC and still have almost full head of hair 

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Amazing beautiful ladies bit of sisters are doing it for themselves on the chemo jukebox for you all. Hang on in there with the cold cap, a couple of ladies on the oct17 thread that I was on had some merging similar but susanmanchester has given great tips below and I know the girls only β€˜washed’ theirs once a week. Well done to those cold capping πŸ₯Ά I was too πŸ”I just wanted to be in, chemo done and off home πŸ€ͺ those going onto T, a few of us painted our nails black to protect them from uv light during t and it worked well and we kept our fingernails. Some others rubbed some oil into their cuticles and that worked well too. πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨Shi xx

Hi all- just wanted to check in and let you know how I went with EC yesterday. After a change to my meds for side effects I feel a million times better- it’s unrecognisable. My first two rounds I was prostrate in bed for at least five days, needed my partner to walk me to the toilet even, and had extreme agitation and restless legs on round two. With the med switch I’m still tired and sleeping a lot but I can actually pick up my phone and write this on only day two which I would not have been able to do before! Can even watch tv (took me till day 4 to be able to lift my head last time!). 

I guess the lesson is- if you’re suffering bad side effects demand a change of meds! In my case we worked out i was having a terrible reaction to metaclopromide. So they removed that and gave me cyclazine instead, and added lorazapam for nausea and anxiety. 100% turnaround. And after all my nerves! 

Hi all- just wanted to check in and let you know how I went with EC yesterday. After a change to my meds for side effects I feel a million times better- it’s unrecognisable. My first two rounds I was prostrate in bed foray least five days, needed my partner to walk me to the toilet even, and had extreme agitation and restless legano on round two. With the med switch I’m still tired and sleeping a lot but I can actually pick up my phone and write this on only day two which I would not have been able to do before! Can even watch tv (took me till day 4 to be able to life my head last time!). 

I guess the lesson is- if you’re suffering bad side effects demand a change of meds! In my case we worked out i was having a terrible reaction to metaclopromide. So they removed that and gave me cyclazine instead, and added lorazapam for nausea and anxiety. 100% turnaround. And after all my nerves! 

Once they come up with a cold cap which works 100 per cent ( and they will ) we will be spared this horrible dilemma . After the 1st FEC was when I shed most hair which is when I got my wig but it thinned rather than anything else . Do not make any rash decisions because it may not get any worse . You can't wash it like you used to .. cold or lukewarm water pat it dry use a wide comb and do not wash at all until several days after chemo . No hair dryer no products . It will not look great but might stop it from falling out however I get the impression it is unpredictable which is why so many understandably do not bother as it is very stressful 

Hi Debi2,

I think  you are one day ahead of me and we seem to be following a similar path, I also feel much more emotional this weekend, I think I’ve cried more in the last 24 hours than I have since I got my diagnosis. My hair has also started shedding a lot too which is getting to me, they were only saying at the hospital on Wednesday how well it was doing. Now I can’t decide what to do with it. 

Hopefully today will be a better day for you, as someone on here said, if we’re feeling rubbish at least it’s doing it’s job which I’m clinging on to for now.  

Mandy x

Hiya Debi2

I was exactly the same when my hair started coming out, but I took control of the situation and went and had it cut short. Within a couple of dats, I got my brother to shave it off. I felt so much better then.

Don’t  give yourself a hard time about getting emotional, we all do....even the tough ones amongst us. We are all going through a tough time but just remember, it’s only temporary. Start thinking about all the nice things you can do, when this part of your life is over and you’ve moved forward.

I keep telling myself that Ill soon be back to the happy old me.

Im a 46 year old single parent and am looking forward to so many things. 

Positive thinking but remember, if you need to cry, then cry x

Hi Debi2

i was like you but last weekend. I had thick hair down to my bra strap, had it cut to a chin length bob about 5 weeks ago. Last Sunday morning I washed my hair for the last time. It felt dead, loads came out when I combed it so me & my partner shaved it off. My scalp was also hurting a lot. This week I’ve ventured out in a wig which is good but not my hair. My head & neck is constantly cold & I sleep in a joules bobble hat as most of my heat seems to go out of my head. On Tuesday it will be my 6th chemo session, I’m having chemo weekly for 12 weeks. Tonight I’ve had a good cry, I’m 45, bald, sitting indoors with a bobble hat on because my head is cold, feeling sorry for myself when I should be having fun. Sometimes the cancer diagnosis is just too much to deal with & I would like to just pretend it isn’t happening but I know tomorrow I’ll wake up with fight in me. Debi2 if you need to cry let it out, we cannot be strong 24/7. We will beat this & remember we have started the journey & we are closer to getting the results we all deserve in this forum 😊

You poor thing, Debi!

It’s so normal to feel down at times, particularly when under duress like this. And it’s ok to let it out too. There are moments when I am fed up and emotional for so many reasons. Then I always try to look towards the future when all the treatment is done.

And that there are so many amazing people out there to help and support us to get there. Not just our friends, families etc but all these wonderful nurses and doctors and charities. I had not much an idea about any of this until the 14 January 2019. And inside, this discovery makes me weirdly happy.

Hang in there. This rubbish time will pass!

Oots

Hi all

I have been very emotional this afternoon and very weepy, anyone else find their mood is up and down?  I think it is with my hair coming out and i was hoping upon hopes it wouldn't ( although it isn't a guarantee ).  Is anyone else feeling the same? i think i need a bit of positivity.

😒

Welcome Pip,

Keep going! Just think of all those horrible invading cells being slaughtered! And because you are feeling all the yucky side effects, that means the drugs are the work they are supposed to be doing!

Hope this cycle is better and they've got the balance right this time! Do keep us posted. This forum is awesome!

Sharon 

Hey Sue,

That's awesome that your hairdresser did that and well done you for donating your hair. Both my girls have done that at one time or another. 

I use a Boots under-the-tongue thermometer.

How did the oncologist go? I am due for my next dose on Monday...

Sharon

xx

Thanks for the welcome all! I'm off to my 3rd EC this afternoon. I am feeling a bit better about things thanks to the magic that is lorazepam, lol. Spaced out, but not as nervous as I was yesterday. Just really hoping that this time is relatively smooth. I've got my little box next to my bed of medicines, hand wipes, anti-bag, ginger chews etc, and plan to hop straight into bed when I get home. Fingers crossed xx

PS So admiring of everyone who has been injecting themselves. I'm way to squeamish to and have my partner do them, or sometimes even get the district nurse to come. I'm such a baby!

Hi everyone

Well done with the injection Steffih, now you have done the first you will be more confident as you do more.  The steroids make me quite spaced out although i can seem to sleep ok - if not more than usual!  I have to take one for 3 days after my chemo day so yesterday was my last one this cycle.  My hair is definitely coming out so i may have it cut short like some ladies on this forum have mentioned.  I was holding on to the hope that it wasn't going to come out so it was a bit emotional when my brush was full of it.  MRI on Thursday to see how the treatment is going so fingers crossed. 

Wishing everyone a good bank holiday weekend.

DebiπŸ’–

Hi Steffi

brilliant that you managed with the injection! I am sure it’ll be a routine for you very soon. 

Re the steroids, they are probably one of the reasons why you have no side effects. I always feel a bit crazy/high/pumped and I am not sleeping well while I am on them (three days only, starting a day before the chemo itself). But I think it’s a small price to pay because I’m not getting sick. So on balance, i don’t mind taking them. Your oncologist will be able to advise on the pros and cons. 

I am on my 4th day post chemo and I am absolutely knackered. I am usually an active person but right now I am not able to do much. My jaws and body hurt too, like I’ve done a few rounds with Mike Tyson in the ring but apart from that, I am not too bad. The symptoms are so similar to the 1st round that I am reasonably confident by Monday, I’ll have more energy and the pains will be gone. Hope everyone else is getting on OK too. 

Oots

Hi Steffih,

i struggle with the steroids too. I’ve had my second chemo this week and was up all night again on the first night, that’s happened both times. I am also eating everything in sight which I’d rather not do but can’t seem to stop myself. 

Well done on the injections, it took me a while in the beginning but I’ve got used to it now. My main side effects have been nausea, constipation and fatigue, not pleasant but still better than I expected. 

Good luck with the rest of your treatment. 

Mandy xx

I just gave myself the damn injection so proud of myself, but I forgot to wait til the thing came back out at the end because I was so nervous, so I missed a bit at the end. I hope it's still ok...tomorrow I'll make sure... I haven't had any side effects from the chemo yet, but I have been really struggling with the steroids and am wondering if they can be reduced next time, yesterday I was so speedy and thought I was going crazy, thankfully today I don't have to take them anymore. Does anyone else struggle with the steroids? xxx

@Mominette wrote:

Hello

Thanks for your reply.

I was unable to start chemo until yesterday as I had a virus.

I am interested that you said that chemo only altered your odds by 6%.

On my oncotype DX test it stated that my RS score was 29 with a distant recurrence

risk in 9 years of 18% and overall absolute chemo benefit of equal to or greater than 15%.

I assume it is this last figure that you refer to re: 6%

Anyway, I went ahead with it yesterday and although I felt pretty rough last night and tired

today, I am not feeling too bad this eve. 

Did you just have the one surgery with no re-excision necessary for clear margins?

I was node negative.

Thanks for you reassurance, much appreciated. I was really apprehensive about starting chemo.

I am cold capping too and hoping it works as my hair grows so slowly.

Hi I was node negative but Grade 3 and Stage 2 . Tumour just over 2 cm . Clear margins lymph nodes removed nevertheless ... I decided on chemo because I would have worried more if I hadn't had it . So far I have had no bad side effects other than tiredness and slight nausea x 

Hiya Pip

Im also having EC and have had 2 so far. First was worse due to sickness. They changed my medication so I was sick after 2nd, but have been wiped out for the first week. I ended up in A&E today, following advice from Chemo ward. I’ve had palpitations and feeling slight breathless. Had ECG bloods n X-ray, which all came back ok.

Just wondering if you’d had that at all with EC?

thanks Kelly

Hello

Thanks for your reply.

I was unable to start chemo until yesterday as I had a virus.

I am interested that you said that chemo only altered your odds by 6%.

On my oncotype DX test it stated that my RS score was 29 with a distant recurrence

risk in 9 years of 18% and overall absolute chemo benefit of equal to or greater than 15%.

I assume it is this last figure that you refer to re: 6%

Anyway, I went ahead with it yesterday and although I felt pretty rough last night and tired

today, I am not feeling too bad this eve. 

Did you just have the one surgery with no re-excision necessary for clear margins?

I was node negative.

Thanks for you reassurance, much appreciated. I was really apprehensive about starting chemo.

I am cold capping too and hoping it works as my hair grows so slowly.

Hi all - I hope you don't mind me joining your conversation suddenly! I started chemo early April but only found out about this thread today. I'd love to join in the chats. I was diagnosed in March with an IDC, about 5cms, ER+ PR+ Her2-, and I've had two cycles of EC so far. My third is tomorrow, after which I'll switch to Docetaxel. I had a bit of a rough ride on my second cycle as I had a bad reaction to metaclopromide, which made me agitated. They've now switched it out for something else and given me lorazepam so am hoping it will be gentler this time around. I'm already a bit over chemo TBH - a friend recommended I come on here when I mentioned I need some motivation to push through! Hope you're all handling the side effects and mental challenges well 

Pip

x

Hi sharon

Ive had my hair cut into a short bob and i love it!! Think i may keep it this length when it grows back!!! All my friends say it suits me!! Ive known my hairdresser for 20 years and she wouldnt let me pay her - she said this is her way of helping me and has offered to cut it shorter when im ready. Im donating my hair to the little princess trust and it feels that by losing my hair im helping someone else in their treatment.

Had a panic yesterday tho as my thermometer told me my temp was 34 so i went to my local hospital who checked my temp and it was normal and checked my bloods and it was all ok.  Can i ask what thermometer do u use as i dont seem to be having much luck with them!!

Off to see my oncologist in an hour to ask how ive been since my first chemo to see if they need to alter my plan but ive not been as bad as i thought id be so im hoping they dont change anything.

When is your next chemo? How are u finding it so far?

Speak soon, take care

Sue xx

Hi SUE,

How did the cut go? the sooner you go shorter, the better. It's MUCH less painful and distressing since it doesn't seem as much of a loss!

Keep us posted!

Sharon 

En route to Christie 's for third and last FEC . Then on to Paclitaxel ... weekly . Have paracetamol for cold cap as others have suggested - yep my hair is thinner but still hanging on in there . Good luck to all having treatment today can't believe have got so used to it all ! X 

Hiya Louise

type in the name of your injection into google. It’ll tell you exactly what it does in medical terms, but basically they boost your white blood count, to help your immune system 😊

Hi Everyone

Had my second chemo on Tuesday,don't feel too bad this time just quite tired and a bit slow motion. 

I have been cold capping but some of my hair did come out this morning, my wig app. is on 16th.  

I am taking steroid tablets just for three days after each chemo session ( i am having EC). 

I have was moved on to injections while i have chemo for my blood thinners which i take for a DVT i got 5 year ago.  I was petrified because i didn't think i could do it but the district nurses where very supporting and now i am injecting daily.  I find it easier to be sat down, they told me to stay around an inch and half away from belly button and to push it into the pinched fat (which i don't really need to pinch as there is enough there!).  It did take a few tries over a couple of days but then I managed to do it and now find it ok.  The nurses have said they will come for the few days after my chemo sessions just to make sure i am up to it with the fatigue and nausea so thats good.  Steffih i hope you manage it, let us know how you get on.

All the best everyone.

Debi πŸ’–

Hi everyone

my hair has started to fall out, hubby already had to unblock plug hole in bath, clean hoover as hair wrapped around brush so stopped working and rub passenger seat in car with clothes brush. I have really thick hair so this could take sometime before I cut it all off. Ready to rock my hats and scarves. Asked hubby as he is bald what he washes his hair with and how often, yes I got the look β€˜are you kidding me’. 

Family cant wait to see what colour my real hair is when it grows back, taking bets on grey and white. 

Hope we you are all doing well.

Hi Bluebell, I went to my pharmacist today to ask, but they said they are only insured for flu jabs... I am hoping I can pluck up the courage on Saturday myself !! xxx

Thanks Sue

Grab some tummy fat  ..... well that will be the easy part, got plenty of that.  Thanks for the tip about not doing it after bath or shower.

Louise

Thanks Oots

Hubby has just gleefully offered to inject me - nooo way  - he's much too happy at the prospect of sticking a needle in me πŸ˜†

Louise

Hi louise

Apologies if ive jumped in on this comment but wanted to put your mind at rest about the injections.  They are steroids to boost your white blood count.  Mine are called filstagrim, i injected myself 2 days after my first chemo (my second chemo is next week) and i only had to do it for 7 days.  Im the most squeamish person u will ever meet (or speak to in this case) and at first i was saying no way can i do that but its really easy to do, takes about 20 seconds.  Just grab some tummy fat in a fold and put the needle in slowly, push the syringe down and theres a spring action so it will stop when finished.  Just one tip dont use straight after a bath or shower as the skin is quite sensitive.  Hope this helps.

Sue xxx

Hi Louise

I believe these injections protect against infections because the chemo attacks your immune system very badly. I believe they are designed to kickstart your immunity so your chances of catching anything nasty are much reduced. 

Oots

Thanks Kelly

eeek the thought of having to inject myself 😱

Do you know what the injections are for / what they do?  Thanks

Hiya Loiusefpage

I didn’t know anything about the injections until I was actually sat having my 1st chemo session. I wouldn’t worry about it though, as the needle is tiny n you hardly feel it go in.

ask your Consultant if you’re having them, but I’m guessing it is standard for everyone, as it’s to boost your white blood cells

good luck with your treatment x

So far so good! Second round yesterday. I took notes of how I felt the first time and it is very similar this time again. Perhaps not identical timings but what happens is almost the same. If that stays, I can handle it because I did before. My tummy felt a bit iffy today so I took some ondansetron and Omeprazole prescribed for this and was better after that. I didn’t do that last time but I thought,  I have them for a reason. Why not let them work their magic. I have a very flushed face and neck but temperature is normal. And I managed a sleep despite all those steroids. So all things considered, this is going OK so far.

I am hoping the same is true for everyone else. I always knew this was going to be a bumpy ride. It’s going to get better eventually! Important not to forget but it’s hard when I think about how long it all takes. 

Oots 

Hello interesting times

Yes my BCN rang me last week to  ask ne how i was getting on and she said i will probably follow the same pattern as round 1.  My round 2 is tuesday so im a day behind you so im hoping we can update each other on here with our progess.  I currently have a very sore scalp (my hair started to come out today) so im taking paracetomal for it but ive heard that i could lose hair when im asleep, so im booked into the hairdressers tomoro to get it cut into a short bob.  My hair is very long so im getting it cut in stages as im not ready to lose it all just yet 

Take care

Sue xxx

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record six weeks on I have third FEC chemo Friday and most of my hair thanks to cold cap ( it is growing back in the thin bits ) really give it a go if you think you can face 10 very uncomfortable minutes of brain freeze 

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Please take your temps before popping paracetamol, it can mask and temp spikes that could be infections. The prickly sensation as your hair sheds was a lot less noticeable if you clip it short a lot of us went to a grade 1 or 2, if any of you have enough long hair, please think about getting it cut so you can send to little princes trust, they make wigs for kids and donate them for free. A silk pillowcase is also gentler on scalp too as your hair goes. Tips for when your treatments finished to assist with hair regrowth is Jamaican black castor oil rubbed on head for about 30 mins then shampoo head (even while still no hair) with lush new (red dot) shampoo bar, but after all treatments finished. πŸ’•πŸ’•βœ¨βœ¨Shi xx

Sue I also feel I got off lightly. I was super nauseous in the first week (day 3 and 4 were horrid!), bad headaches and digestive issues, but that's it. thus far. ... my next chemo is next Monday so fingers crossed that will be the pattern. My Onco says what you experience in cycle 1 is probably the picture. Ladies further along than me can confirm that!

Hang in there! We will be hairless together! Lol.

Zarzio injections   think i could do it myself if push came to shove but actually glad OH is around.  Advice given to us was pinch an inch and pop it in, squeeze slowly   and important to take out of fridge for 30 mins beforehand or it stings.  I'm lucky with my excellent care assistant/nurse  aka my husband!!   He's being great hope the rest of you are blessed with good care.  

Cycle 2 starts for me tomorrow.  

Keep strong, think long term, this is a step on the journey.  We can do it.      Alice

No No Pollensa!!  If it's for the jabs to help white blood cells (I expect that's what we're all on) the needle is very short. Only needs a little bit of flesh and goes just under the skin. Don't alarm everyone!!  It will be fine, Love Mo xx 

I've been wearing my wig or "new hair" for a week now after deciding to get rid of my hair  a few days after first chemo. I knew it was going to go and couldn't bear having it come out in tufts.

Quite honestly, I'm pleased I did it so soon. It is one thing less to worry about. My wig has attracted loads of compliments ( didn't think my real hair was that bad but there you go....!). Nobody has known its a wig unless I've told them. It is a relief to take it off in the evening but I am slowly getting used to the feel of it. Nobody has seen my bald head but I have answered the door in my wee soft jersey hat!

I've not been introduced to self injecting either but it's early days so I dare say that's another treat in store. Mind you I have a very generous tummy so the needle will have to be VERY long.

We've all started our journey and each day brings the end of treatment closer, albeit with a few bumps along the way....

Pollensa x

Hi Steffi

I believe the access to a district nurse is usually organised via your GP. Just call them and ask.

I called my GP to find out about support after my mastectomy and he said if I needed help it could be done. Turned out that I was OK. But it was so good to know there was a plan B. 

Oots

Thanks sharon.  I have been expecting it but it was still a shock when it started coming out.  Ironically my number for the Race for Life arrived today.  Hows that for timing!! How are u finding chemo so far? I was sick the morning after my first session and since then ive had nausea and mouth ulcers.  Feels like ive got off lightly so far but not sure what tomoro will bring xxx

Hi Runningsue,

I also decided not to cold cap. My first chemo was 3 weeks ago. My hair started falling out about a week ago and yes my scalp was/is sensitive. Apparently it will stay that way until all the hair falls out completely. I had mine cut super short last Friday as I was sick of handfuls lying around... That seems to help a little if you can face it. And then yes I guess paracetamol. Good luck! 

Sharon

Hi ladies

I am 2 weeks in from my first chemo.  I decided not to cool cap.  Just had a shower and loads of my hair came out.  Ive got long thick dark hair so its not noticeable yet but my scalp is sore.  Can anyone recommend anything for this or shall i just take paracetomal? Xxx

Hi, I have been managing too, despite hating the idea. It has occurred to me that pharmacists might be able to help too, they do flu jabs and are open at weekends? Quicker than a and e I think. Good luck xx, 

Good luck with puppy! I recommend gloves and long trousers, pups have sharp teeth!! And yes, make sure it's daughter out in the garden at 4am. Have fun xx

Hello ladies!

Hope everyone is well. Welcome newbies. I hope those who have had 2nd cycle are feeling as ok as can be.

Well for me, this week has been bad so far! Ended up in hospital Monday around 9pm with a high temperature, and they’ve only just let me out today. Was treated for infection although none to be seen from the bloods.

Ahh well, I’m out now, and in time for the bank holiday with my lovely OH- who bless him, has found it all really difficult. Anyone else’s partner’s feeling a little lost in terms of diagnosis? He helps all the time, but we are only 25, and it’s just such a big blip in our lives.