61211members
322761posts
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

April 2019 Chemo Starters ๐Ÿ’–

Re: April 2019 Chemo Starters ๐Ÿ’–

Good luck Bramley!! All fingers and toes crossed for you. I hope your fingernails are also feeling a bit better- Docetaxel just keeps โ€˜givingโ€™! 

Hi Bramley, 

Just wanted to wish you good luck for your upcoming surgery

Xx

Evening All

Thanks for your lovely comments about my Son's graduation.  Just so lovely to have a happy day and feel normal again for a few hours.  We need to set ourselves goals, make plans and celebrate the good times along this rollercoaster of a journey xx

It's really interesting to hear of people's experiences on receiving summary letters after oncology and consultant appointments.  I can definitely see the benefits i.e. they are a really useful reminder of what was said and agreed moving forwards with treatment.  On the other hand I can completely understand the worry of seeing a very factual medical account of the meeting and about the cancer.  Everyone is so different in the way they handle such a difficult situation and I guess it depends on how much you want to know.  I talked it over with my husband and he asked me if I felt I had missed out by not having letters.  He was worried I would focus on the words and things that could be perceived as negative and read too much in to it.  So I think I've decided not to request them at this stage and just rely on information given to me at each meeting.  To be fair they have always been very good at answering any questions I've had so far.   I may change my mind but I think at this stage it feels right for me.

Phet - I do hope you have managed to get your ultrasound to find out what's happening with your swollen boob? I'd be just as worried and frustrated as you are not knowing what's happening.  Having breast cancer is very stressful in itself but when you have a reaction or swelling, it just increases the stress and anxiety.  Hoping things are happening and getting sorted for you and you can still get away on holiday and have your surgery as planned on 6th August. 

Liz - hope your final chemo went well today.

I'm doing well apart from my thumb nail and another finger nail fell off today Smiley Sad.  I've now lost 3 nails on my right hand which is a bit weird.  Thinking about it, after the first dose of Docetaxel (chemo round 4), I had a terrilbe reaction on my hands and fingers.  They literally swelled to double the size with red burning sensation for a week.  My right hand was much worse than my left.  I think my nails were damaged at that stage as they have been feeling pretty numb since. Just wondering if I'm going to lose all 10 finger nails!  My toe nails are all fine though at the moment! Smiley Happy 

6 days until surgery and counting, bloods willing!

Have a good weekend everyone! xxx

Yes I asked not to see them once I knew the post surgery results that was enough ...

@Bramley wrote:

Afternoon all

Liz - good news that your chemo 6 will go ahead on Friday with a reduced dose.  It will be interesting to hear if the side effects are less as a result.  In theory they should be I guess, well you would hope so anyway!

Thanks to you and Kelly for the info on follow up letters after each appointment.  I had no idea that I could get hold of copies after each oncology/consultant appointment.  The only issue is that I'm too scared to ask for copies!  I'm just not sure if I want to see a factual medical letter about my cancer.  I'm not sure why I feel that way but maybe I'm just not ready to see it in black and white. I know I'm being a complete wimp!  For me the diagnosis was just so shocking and I feel it's taken me forever to even get my head around that part.   My consultant, breast care nurse and Oncologist are all lovely and very positive and I trust them to make the right decisions on my medical care.  They haven't told me too much so far apart from the tumour was 3cm at diagnosis, is eostrogen positive, HER2 negative and is very treatable.   A biopsy has also confirmed it's in one lymph node.  

Kelly - hope you are doing ok and you have a date for the MRI on your heart?  Let us know how you get on and we will be willing you to get back on track with your chemo if it is safe to do so or onto radiotherapy to zap and nuke any rogue cancer cells.

Susanmanchester - good luck for your final Paclitaxel on Friday.  The end of a long chemo journey which you will be glad to have behind you.  I think it takes a while for the chemo drugs to finally get out of our system but hey each day will hopefully get a bit better! 

Before I started chemo on 20th March 2019 I set myself a goal to be at my son's university graduation on 17th July 2019.  I worked out if I went through all 6 cycles on time I would be 14 days post my final chemo (number 6).   I told my Oncologist and BC nurse that I couldn't afford any delays to my chemo treatment as I just had to be at his graduation.  Both warned me of potential delays and pitfalls but throughout my chemo journey that date was always at the forefront of my mind and nothing was going to stop me.  Well yesteday I was the happiest and proudest mum in the world to attend his graduation ceremony on day 14 post chemo 6 Smiley Happy  I wore my trusted wig and applied eye make up as best I could with no eyebrows, eyelashes and permanently watering eyes, not from crying either!  It didn't really matter what I looked like, I was just so happy to be there.  None of his Uni friends know that I have breast cancer and no one looked at me strangely or sympathetically.  I was just a normal person for one happy day at least and I loved it.  I was shattered by the time we got home last night but it was a 12 hour day with travelling so not really surprising!

Keep posting everyone, stay positive and hope you are all doing ok. xxx

Hey thanks Bramley 

My eyelashes left it till the end to go have drops from Christie's buying chocolates for nurses on chemo unit but waiting till I get all-clear on the bloods . Also got to see surgeon next week for follow-up ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ But it's routine best to all just want it to be done now xx 

Bramley, well done in achieving your goal to attend your son's graduation! I'm sure you were very proud of him, but equally I expect he felt the same at you being able to be there! I'm glad you had such a lovely day.

I do receive letters after appointments, but personally I sometimes I wished I didn't! They are useful so that you've got something to refer back to, but I often found that what had been said when I'd seen the consultant or oncologist seemed to look worse once written down and I'd brood over the contents x

Hi all, 

I'm just back from another trip to triage at the hospital to try to work out what's going on in the 'bad boob' that is still swollen and inflamed. No ultrasound yet! They keep telling me to try this or that antibiotics, wait and see, etc. I'm getting quite annoyed to be honest - I'm worried if there's a problem and they are taking a long time to diagnose it, it is going to jeopardize my surgery on August 6 (and, perhaps more importantly, the 5 day holiday in Provence my partner and I have booked for just before that!). I've been on the phone to the secretaries of both my surgeon and my oncologist and both are trying to help me, but I think I'm going to be contacting PALS (the Patient Advice and Liaison Service) as this is all getting a bit much. 

Otherwise, things are going ok - I'm so tired at the end of all this and a bit sick of feeling rubbish but otherwise happy to be out the other end of chemo, or nearly. 

Bramley - congratulations on making it to your son's graduation! That's so wonderful to have had that milestone in mind and now to have made it. You must have been so proud, and though it would have been exhausting it must have been totally worth it. 

Liz - that's wonderful that your next infusion is going ahead. I also had a zoledronic acid infusion with my last chemo, and like you I'm on Zoladex and will be for the foreseeable. Apparently the zoledronic acid can cause side effects like bone pain and aches, but I can report that in my case, I didn't notice anything different at all from the usual Docetaxel side effects, so I think the zoledronic acid ones must be nothing in comparison! How are you tolerating the Zoladex? I had my latest one last Thursday, and I spent yesterday in floods of tears. It was only in the evening that I remembered that I had also been in floods of tears about 6 days after my previous Zoladex...so I guess I should expect to feel hormonal in the week after each injection from now on!

Re the letters from the oncologist issue - I've also been getting a copy of every letter that goes to my GP from my surgeon and oncologist, and I have to say I do find them useful in summarizing what we discussed at each meeting. They can also be useful if you need to remind them of something; they see so many patients a day and I have found a few times that mine have said 'now I think we've agreed X moving forward haven't we' and I've been able to say 'no, I think we agreed Y, as it says here in the letter summarizing our last appointment' so it is really useful to have that as a reminder for both of us. 

Hope everyone is easing into the weekend ok; strength to all

xx

Afternoon all

Liz - good news that your chemo 6 will go ahead on Friday with a reduced dose.  It will be interesting to hear if the side effects are less as a result.  In theory they should be I guess, well you would hope so anyway!

Thanks to you and Kelly for the info on follow up letters after each appointment.  I had no idea that I could get hold of copies after each oncology/consultant appointment.  The only issue is that I'm too scared to ask for copies!  I'm just not sure if I want to see a factual medical letter about my cancer.  I'm not sure why I feel that way but maybe I'm just not ready to see it in black and white. I know I'm being a complete wimp!  For me the diagnosis was just so shocking and I feel it's taken me forever to even get my head around that part.   My consultant, breast care nurse and Oncologist are all lovely and very positive and I trust them to make the right decisions on my medical care.  They haven't told me too much so far apart from the tumour was 3cm at diagnosis, is eostrogen positive, HER2 negative and is very treatable.   A biopsy has also confirmed it's in one lymph node.  

Kelly - hope you are doing ok and you have a date for the MRI on your heart?  Let us know how you get on and we will be willing you to get back on track with your chemo if it is safe to do so or onto radiotherapy to zap and nuke any rogue cancer cells.

Susanmanchester - good luck for your final Paclitaxel on Friday.  The end of a long chemo journey which you will be glad to have behind you.  I think it takes a while for the chemo drugs to finally get out of our system but hey each day will hopefully get a bit better! 

Before I started chemo on 20th March 2019 I set myself a goal to be at my son's university graduation on 17th July 2019.  I worked out if I went through all 6 cycles on time I would be 14 days post my final chemo (number 6).   I told my Oncologist and BC nurse that I couldn't afford any delays to my chemo treatment as I just had to be at his graduation.  Both warned me of potential delays and pitfalls but throughout my chemo journey that date was always at the forefront of my mind and nothing was going to stop me.  Well yesteday I was the happiest and proudest mum in the world to attend his graduation ceremony on day 14 post chemo 6 Smiley Happy  I wore my trusted wig and applied eye make up as best I could with no eyebrows, eyelashes and permanently watering eyes, not from crying either!  It didn't really matter what I looked like, I was just so happy to be there.  None of his Uni friends know that I have breast cancer and no one looked at me strangely or sympathetically.  I was just a normal person for one happy day at least and I loved it.  I was shattered by the time we got home last night but it was a 12 hour day with travelling so not really surprising!

Keep posting everyone, stay positive and hope you are all doing ok. xxx

Evening ladies

Have seen the oncologist yesterday and they are going ahead with cycle 6 on Friday, but they are lowering the dose further to 50%. Happy about this as I didn't want to have to make a decision to stop chemo so far along. 

Im also starting the Zoldronic Acid infusion Friday as well, as she thinks three zolodex is enough to put me into menopause.. I finally got an answer as to how long I will need Zolodex (3 years) but I have the option of ovary removal if I'd prefer, but I don't want to make that decision yet as I want to finish radiotherapy and have some time back at work first.

Hope you are all having a nice week 

Xx

Hi Bramley, 

I get copies of all hospital letters as these contain all my diagnostic information, post op results and treatment plans.

It might be worth a call to your breast care nurse to ask for copies of prior appointments and ask for future ones, you are entitled to them x

Liz xx

Counting down to chemo 12 on Friday last Paclitaxel ( three cycles over 9 weeks and three FEC )

I am done .. fatigue is now off the scale aching joints etc it is inevitable after 4 months I guess but has only hit home last couple of weeks  should count myself lucky but look wrecked ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

Thankyou Bramley & Lizandsarah for your replies, support & encouragement. I know weโ€™re all in this together, but sometimes itโ€™s nice to know people who understand what youโ€™re going through, are also there to support you.

Bramley- yes Iโ€™ll be having Radiotherapy but I still worry about anything that passed through my lymphโ€™s, as they were found to have C too. Iโ€™ll just have to keep telling myself that everything will be ok. Regarding the letters, I also get a copy of every letter that my Oncologist sends out, whether that be to my own GP or to the Cardiologist. I donโ€™t get them from the Cardiologist but I did recently, as I asked for a copy. You could ask your GP for a copy of all the letters that your Oncologist sends them. Depends how much information you want...I want to know everything. I have a sister in Canada, who is a nurse n wants all the details, so I copy them to her x

Hi All

Kelly - how frustrating for you with another delay to your chemo Smiley Sad.  We all know that having chemo carries a certain amount of risk and side effects but just hope and pray that the benefits outweigh any long term risk.  Fortunately the NHS is very thorough and will do everything possible to protect and care for us on this journey.  I sincerely hope they get to the bottom of the issues with your heart and can get you back on track with your chemo.  But if the risk of more chemo on your heart outweighs the benefits then you have to trust the advice of your medical team.  It sounds like you have a really good Oncologist which must be reassuring.  I assume you will have radiotherapy after chemo?   I think we all worry about cancer cell stragglers but as I understand it, the radiotherapy is specificaly to kill off any remaining cancer cells that have somehow managed to survive surgery and chemo.   Lovely photo by the way of you and your supporters on your 10 mile Wirral coastal walk.   Well done on raising ยฃ500 for your local Maggies, an amazing charity that helps so many.  Hope the MRI scan on your heart brings some reassuring news.  xxx

Liz - hope your oncology appointment went well today before your next chemo on Friday?  Is number 6 the final chemo for you?  Was just wondering about your oncology appointment outcome letters?  Do you get a letter after each appointment with your Oncologist and Breast centre?  The only letters I've ever received are appointment letters.  I've never had a letter after any appointment, not even at initial diagnosis.  I guess each NHS trust may do it slightly differently?   I've taken my husband along to the 2 appointments with my Consultant (also my surgeon) and he has taken some notes for me.

Debi - hope you are doing ok.

Phet - hope the ultrasound was ok and put your mind at rest?

I'm doing well apart from one of my finger nails literally falling off last night with no warning!  I thought I was going to faint as I was worried there would be nothing underneath it.  Fortunately there was half a nail underneath it so at least something to protect the nail bed.  I've notice my thumb nail is also now loose and another couple of finger nails so I fear the same thing will happen in the next few days.  I've repainted with nail varnish in the hope of them hanging on for a few more days to give the nail underneath a bit more time to grow.  When they said Docetaxel may affect your hands and feet, they weren't kidding!   Oh well the new nail underneath looks remarkably healthy all things considered Smiley Happy

Love to you all xxx

Hi Kelly73,

You must be feeling very disheartened after the heart results. 

I'm originally from the North West and know Clatterbridge is an excellent centre, so they will give you the best care they can. I considered getting my treatment transferred there for radiotherapy so I could stay with my parents, but it was too disruptive for my family.

My friend has also had her breast cancer care there and was very complimentary. 

As a healthcare professional I know these decisions are hard to make, but they will want you to have the care that will give you the best outcome in the circumstances with quality of life.

We all worry about stragglers lurking in our bodies no matter what treatment we have had, so you are not alone. 

Well done on the wirral walk, my sister is doing the Shine Walk next month in Liverpool for Cancer research, I'm hoping to be there to see her off and get back

Xx

61BF9E96-AABC-411C-8627-4CAF66AC5D1F.jpeg

This is me a couple of weeks ago. I took part in the Wirral coastal walk, completing 10 miles and raised just over ยฃ500 for Clatterbridge Maggies centre. Supporting me was my son, sister, niece and 2 friends ๐Ÿ˜Š

Hiya Deb,

Im not bad thanks. I saw my Oncologist yesterday and yet again, chemo is not to go ahead this week. Iโ€™ve not had chemo since May and only had 3 sessions. Luckily Iโ€™ve already had a mastectomy and lymph nodes removed, but Iโ€™m still anxious about little stragglers travelling around my body.

I previously mentioned that the chemo has weakened my heart (ejection fraction from 55 to 42), but my recent heart CT shows I have a blocked artery. Im now awaiting an mri.

Oncologist told me that due to heart probs, I may not be able to have more chemo n heโ€™s also got to rethink my hormone treatment.

Why does everything have to be so complicated.

He is a top Oncologist though, so I know heโ€™s doing his best for me and will come up with the best treatment plan.

Does  anyone know of anyone else who has this problem?

hope you and everyone else are doing well x

It's amazing, they have managed to find me an appointment tomorrow!!! 

Hi everyone, 

Well done with the race for life this weekend.

And I'm very jealous of Debi for getting to Southport, I haven't been home since treatment started and I miss the pier walks too. 

Time to vent:

Been chasing my oncology appointment for this week before no 6 on Friday. Just been told they can speak to me by phone on Wednesday!  And if they run late it will clash with my zolodex appointment!

I do find it easier face to face, and I've told them so. Also told them oncology is a shambles here as I've had nothing bu t problems since being referred. Other departments have been fine.

So it looks like it's time to go through the Pals department which I really wanted to avoid.

I also don't get copies of my oncology appointment outcome letters for around five weeks, breast centre ones take around three days to arrive! 

If I have to have any new oncology treatment in the future I'll be asking for referral to another hospital as I certainly don't trust this one! 

Evening everyone

LynsH hope you are are having a wonderful time in the lakes, it must be nice to catch a break. I am hopefully having a trip to Southport next weekend, so i am going to have a walk on the long pier and get some much craved sea air.

Christine hopefully the golf and fresh air has made you feel a lot better.  how many FEC sessions are you having?

Runningsue a great big well done to you and your team, you are an inspiration. I have 2 more Docetaxil, herceptin and pertuzumab to have then i will have surgery and then Radiotherapy, still a way to go but we are all getting there day by day.

Bramley I am on the same taste page as you, nothing seems quite right - i just fancy the food but then when i eat it it is nothing what my crave buds desired!!

Susanmanchester - hang on in there you are doing great, we are here to support you.  

Kelly73 How are you doing? 

Phet7178 Sorry to here that you had a trip to hospital - have they kept you in? I was having pain in my breast where my lump was after my 3rd EC, the BC nurse said that it could just be the tissue reacting and adjusting to any shrinkage, my consultant said that it was unlikely to be getting any bigger due to ongoing treatment and when i had my MRI scan he was right it had shrunk even more.  Best of luck with the ultrasound tomorrow.

Pollensa, Lizandsarah, interestinetimes, Niknak5, Jencat and Louisefpage hope you are all doing ok and not having too many side effects, it would be lovely to hear from you.

Good night everyone, take care

Debi x

Evening!

Blimey the cricket was a bit tense!  I have a husband and 3 sons who play and love cricket so no choice for me over the years but to watch cricket Smiley Happy  Amazing game of twists and turns but good to see England clinch to win the World Cup.

Phet - that is such a lovely photo of you having your last chemo and casually working in the process. Congratulations on completing your last chemo.  Love your scarf, you look really chic and chilled Smiley Happy  Hope the infection in your bad boob sorts itself out and things return to normal.  Will be good to have an ultrasound tomorrow to hopefully put your mind at rest.  I've had lots of shooting pains in my tumour and under my armpit (one lymph node has tested positive) after each round of chemo but not swelling.  I've just always hoped it's the drugs targeting the cancer cells and killing them.  Hopefully your oncologist is right and it's your body responding to the dying cancer cells.  Your surgery date of 6th August will soon be here.  I feel the same as you, I can't wait to get my surgery (11 days and counting!) to get the cancer literally cut out of me but also really worry about the pathology results afterwards.  I think it's only natural for us to feel that way.  Afterall the first biopsy results we received at the start of this journey confirmed breast cancer.  Now if only chemo could be guaranteed to kill off all cancer cells we would feel a little more reassured about the process.  

Sue - just seen your photos of the 10k race for life Smiley Happy  Well done you, a fantastic achievement and you look so proud with your twins xx.   Love the photo of the sign on your back.  Such a lovely thing to do and we were all with you virtually.  Just need to rest up a bit now and recover just in case those pesky side effects of Docetaxel raise their ugly heads. 

Thanks for the tips post surgery, I've seen a few ladies commenting that a small cushion under the arm helps so will definitely get one of those and some extra dressings.  When I asked my BC nurse about stiches, dressings etc, she advised that I would have internal desolvable stiches and a waterproof dressing on the top over the incisions (boob and underarm).  The dressing should stay on for around 5-7 days and I could shower without needing to worry.   After 5-7 days I could either remove the dressing myself or go to my GP practice for a nurse to remove.  Does that sound the same type of thing that you had?

Christine - I'm sure you will do a big charity hike one day in the not too distant future when you are through treatment and out of the other side.  Sorry to hear that you have been feeling the worst side effects on FEC.  I completely sympathise with the nausea, such a horrible side effect Smiley Sad The banana and peanut butter smoothies sound delicious and very nutritious Smiley Happy

LynsH - good to hear you are doing well and enjoying a break in the Lake District.  Such a beautiful area and the sun shining definitely helps!  Enjoy the change of scenery.

The start of another week tomorrow and another step closer to the end of treatment for us all Smiley Happy  Keep posting with your progress.  Stay strong ladies.  xx

20190713_164735.jpg

And this is the sign i wore on my back with all your names on as well as other ladies who i know are having treatment

Sue xxx

IMG-20190714-WA0010.jpg

This is me and my lovely children (twins!!) at the start of race for life today.  I walked it all with my daughter Hannah and we ran through the finish line holding hands.  My son matthew ran the 5k.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and cant wait to get to the end of my treatment and start running again.  It was such a fantastic atmosphere today, i had family and friends taking part with me but i had all you lovely ladies in my thoughts too.  Ive had a lovely rest this afternoon and ive not been suffering too far with side effects of chemo number 5 but im going to take it easy for the next few days.

Take care ladies have a lovely evening

Sue xxx

Ah I forgot the photo! here it is Smiley Happy

66813223_10100395593721001_1666147775533809664_o.jpg

Hi all - long time I've not been here! I've been throwing myself into work a bit recently, which has been a good distraction from breast cancer, though I'm back into the side effects of the last Docetaxel now. I'm so happy to see everyone gradually coming to the end of the chemo - I can't believe what a long ride it has been (and continues to be). 

Runningsue, you're an inspiration with the Race for Life! My mum ran into the racers in Oxford yesterday on her morning walk and was disappointed she hadn't realized it was on as she would have liked to have taken part. I have done essentially no exercise for at least 4 months, and with the Docetaxel joint aches and tiredness at the moment I can't imagine a time when I'll be able to again. But you have given me hope - I have surgery next and once I've recovered a bit from that I'll try to make a rehabilitation plan...

I had my 6th and last chemo on Tuesday - I've attached a picture here of me working in the chemo suite Smiley Happy As I said to people at the time, when I first started having chemo I could barely stop shaking let alone concentrate on something like getting a bit of work done, so that's a sign of how far we've come. 

Unfortunately the side effects have hit me a bit harder this time, and yesterday I had a trip to the hospital. After my breast softening considerably in the first two Docetaxel, and my lump seeming to shrink to about 1/5 the original size, on Friday I noticed my 'bad' breast was swollen and inflamed around the tumour site. I went in with a raised temperature yesterday, and they looked at my breast and thought it may be infected. So I'm on antibiotics now and hopefully will have an ultrasound tomorrow to investigate. It's all a pain (literally - it hurts!) because I was feeling so much better with the breast almost back to normal. I can't help but worry that it is not an infection and some kind of tumour activity as well. The oncologist in triage yesterday told me that that scenario couldn't be ruled out but he thought it was unlikely - he said cancer doesn't really work like that (let's hope!). If it's not an infection he thought it could be my breast having an inflammatory reaction to the 'tumour cell death' going on in there, which he said can irritate tissue etc. Not sure if anyone else experienced reactions around the tumour site on neoadjuvant chemo? Anyway, as usual it seems I can never have the expected response! 

Other than that, I'm starting to get nervous about the mastectomy stage - my surgery is booked in for August 6. On the one hand, I can't wait for the cancer to be out. On the other, I'm nervous about surgery and recovery, and also about the pathology results after (I hate getting results). I think I'll be whipping out my headspace meditation app again and relying on that quite a lot...

Hope everyone is enjoying Sunday, and those of you going through side effects as well - solidarity! more soon xx

Sue,

You are amazing! I couldnโ€™t think of anything worse than running (I did a half marathon in 2013 and never ran again!) but to do it so soon after chemo is incredible. Good luck, I imagine itโ€™s going to be an emotional run for you and the people supporting you. Let us know how you get on. I love hiking and trekking now so once this is all done Iโ€™m going to do a big charity hike somewhere. Two years ago I did a 50km trek in the Brecon Beacons so I feel like I need to up my game. I struggle to know who to raise money for too...breast cancer care, Macmillan, coppafeel, cancer research? 

I had my first FEC on Wednesday and felt so unwell after. Instantly tired and constantly felt sick. Appetite Zero! All the foods that made me feel better on the previous 12 Chemo sessions are no longer working for me! Banana and peanut butter smoothies saved me the day after. Thankfully Iโ€™m slowly getting back to โ€œnormalโ€ whatever that is anymore?! Going to try and play a bit of golf today to get some fresh air and take my mind of the side effects.

I hope everyone is able to enjoy their weekends 

Christine xx

Sue, good luck for your race for life, you are actually amazing doing this so close to your previous chemo. I canโ€™t even contemplate something like that just now and Iโ€™m a week post treatment. Iโ€™m in awe! Best of luck and congratulations on raising so much. 

I hope everyone else else is resting up and enjoying some of the lovely weather. We are down in the Lake District on a wee holiday just now and itโ€™s been fab so far. Long may it last. Certainly cheers me up seeing the sun. 

Xxx

Hi Bramley

Ill ask my daughter to show me how to upload the photos - she is much more technical than i am๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Yes i had sentinel node biopsy at the same time as my lumpectomy.  I was sore and tender for about 6 weeks in total. Make sure u get lots of rest - i used to endulge in a nice long hot bath.  Just make sure u have lots of spare dressings to cover your wounds afterwards. I found ibuprofen helped to ease the soreness.

My sister bought me a lovely "recovery kit" which included a cushion - its smaller than an average sofa cushion.  I used to put it under my armpit and it took the pressure of the biopsy scar rubbing against me.  

When i had the docataxel on friday it took an hour and a half to be administered which was longer than last time - when i asked the nurse she said they liked to thin it out on the 5th dose.  Side effects so far have been the usual nausea, mouth ulcers and hot sweats.

Well ladies im off to get ready for the Race for Life - wish me luck - ill be thinking of you all !!!

Sue xxx

Sue -  sorry to hear about your Mum.  I bet you just couldn't believe it when you were also diagnosed but you were so right to get checked and they found yours early.  Can I ask if you had a lumpectomy, node clearance, mastectomy?  How was the surgery and the recovery afterwards?  Any top tips?  So glad you had your chemo 5 yesterday and are now back on track.  Did you have a reduced dose this time after the side effects last time?   I take my hat off to you for doing the 10k race for life tomorrow with your family and friends to support you.  It doesn't matter if you run or walk, you are doing it the day after chemo!  Amazing that you have raised ยฃ300 for a charity that will continue to support so many women who are sadly diagnosed with breast cancer.  What a lovely thought to put all of our names on your back, thank you xxx  As you say we are all in this together.  Try to take somoe photos as I would love to see them.  I'm assuming if you click on the photo icon when replying to these msg's that it must be fairly straightforward to add one?  

Debi - sorry to hear that you have been in hospital with a temperature but thankfully no infection and you are safely back home.  Hope you are past the worst of the side effects by now.  You will get back to your running soon I'm sure xx

I'm doing fine and apart from taste.  I am soooooo looking forward to enjoying the taste of food again, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.  It's weird isn't it, I can't quite imagine how it will feel to go into a week 4 as I feel programmed on a 3 week chemo cycle now!  We may all have chemo withdrawal symptoms after this lot, lol...

Hope everyone else doing ok?  Let us know how it's going xxx

Hi Debi

I had surgery in march so ill be starting radiotherapy in september.  Where are u up to with your treatment? 

I consider myself lucky that mine was found early because i took myself to get checked after my mum was diagnosed in january.  Sadly it was too far advanced and she passed away 3 weeks later but if it wasnt for my mum being diagnosed i wouldnt have gone to get checked and i dread to think where i would be now.

Im resting as much as i can today to bank my energy for tomoro.  Im entered into the 10k but im doubtful ill be able to run much of it however ive raised over ยฃ300 in sponsorship so there's no way im not taking part.  

Sorry to hear u have been in hospital however glad there is no sign of infection. I hope u are still resting up and catching up on your sleep.

Take care ladies, speak soon

Sue xxx

Hi everyone

Runningsue42 glad you have got number 5 under your belt, only one left to go.  Have you already had surgery? Will you be having Radiotherapy? Good to hear antibiotics are working and you feel up to doing the 'Race for Life'. What a lovely thought that you are putting all our names on your sign.  I don't think i could do even a 5km just yet!  

I haven't been on here for a while, i was in A&E on Monday evening with a suspected infection after temp. went to 38, luckily after all the tests, chest x-ray etc. i was fine and allowed to go home at 3 in the morning.  I have been catching up on sleep- which as taken a while to be honest.  Side effects this time have just been aching neck,head,hips and knees, along with feeling tired.  I am not sure the tiredness is down to being bored though.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend and not having too many side effects.

Take care 

Debi

Good afternoon ladies

Well im pleased to say my bloods were ok and i went ahead with chemo number 5 yesterday.  Im glad i was only delayed by 3 days and not a week.  The antibiotics have started to work on the insect bite (there has been no more green discharge). Billy Bob is also healing nicely ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ  Yesterday i watched 3 people ring the end of treatment bell and i know ill get to do this in 3 weeks time.

I know ill feel grotty tomoro once the side effects have started (already have hot sweats and mouth ulcers๐Ÿ˜ข) but ive decided to still take part in the race for life.  I have "Sue's Pink Army" of my children, family and friends taking part with me.  I hope its ok with you all that ive decided to write the names of all the ladies on this forum on the sign that i wear on my back - "who are you running for" - we are all on this journey together and i want u all to know that you have all helped me along the way with advice whether ive been feeling low emotionally or about my PICC line clot or any of the side effects from EC or docataxel.   If i could i would post a photo of the sign and of the race.

Take care ladies

Sue xxx

Hi All

Catching up on threads.

Susanmanchester - I know exactly how you feel worrying about seeing your surgeon again.  I have such bad memories of seeing my consultant/surgeon at the point of diagnosis.  However, the next time I saw her after chemo 5, to plan surgery was a much more positive appointment.  I couldn't believe the difference and hopefully it will feel the same to you.  Hold the faith.

Lynsh - hope you are past the worst after chemo 5 and you can get back to your running soon. I also had a prescription for Gelclear to help with the mouth after chemo 1 but haven't used it since.  I didn't think it helped me at the time on FEC but the overwhelming nausea was the centre of my world for 9 weeks so not sure I would have even noticed!  My taste buds are way worse on Docetaxel but definitely no nausea so I'll take it.  I think I'll dig out the gel clear again and give it another go so thanks for suggesting it Smiley Happy   

RunningSue - really frustrating about your delay on chemo 5 Smiley Sad   As you say, better to be safe than sorry especially during chemo.  I hope your blood tests are all good, you can have chemo tomorrow and be right back on track.  It's good that they haven't automatically delayed you by a full week as I hear happens to quite a few ladies.  I also hope you can get back to your running soon but if not just keep walking.  It will make you feel so much better in yourself.

I'm feeling a bit better today in myself.  Steroids must be starting to get out of system now I'm on day 8 post chemo 6.  2 weeks today and I will hopefully have my surgery (lumpectomy and sentinal node clearance), bloods being ok of course.  I can't wait to get on with it now and get what ever is left cut out of me, it just can't come soon enough. My consultant (also surgeon) did warn that it is really common for a second surgery to be necessary if there are not clear margins around the tumour or a need to take out more lymph nodes. Obviously everything taken out is tested thoroughly in the lab afterwards to ensure clear margins and I will get my results 3 weeks later.  Apparently the current statistic for repeat surgery is 1 in 4 women.  Just putting it out there so we don't all worry ourselves sick if it should happen to any of us and thinking it's really unusual.  I'm glad she told me as I can now prepare myself for that if necessary.  I was talking to my breast cancer nurse and apparently the cancerous tissue does not look any different to healthy tissue during surgery but feels very different to the surgeon; I was really surprised to hear that.  Obviously any guiding wires inserted on the day, MRI, ultrasounds, mammograms and other useful tools are availalbe to help the surgeon pinpoint and remove it all during the operation which is really reassuring. 

Talking of surgery I went to M&S outlet yesterday and I saw a post surgery bra in my cup size but one size larger on the back.  It was on the bargain rail for ยฃ5 (couldn't believe my luck!).  If feels very soft and comfortable with wide straps and good support.  Figure it's worth a try and the larger back size should give me a bit more room with any swelling.  A friend of mine bought me 3 soft sleep bras when I was first diagnosed which I have also put aside for after surgery.  She had bought for another friend who had breast cancer surgery and desribed them as the most comfortable bras ever.  So now at least I feel prepared with 4 bras. I assume I'll be wearing them day and night for a couple of weeks until the scars heal. 

Hope all is well with you all.   Take care lovely ladies xx

Hello all 

thanks Bramley for kind thoughts ... have to see my surgeon before I start rads just a check-up nothing sinister but already getting anxious . Totally irrational .. just brings back bad memories I guess . Not sure can ever feel like I did but not being fearful would be a good start ! X 

Hi girls, 

sorry ive been off radar. Just dealing with after effects of chemo 5 and kids being off school!! What a combination!! ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

however feeling ok ish!! Iโ€™ve been using gelclair for my mouth which is helping massively with the sore mouth and also taste buds. If you can get hold of it from GP I would highly recommend. Itโ€™s a gel mouthwash but helps prevent that horrible coating we all seem to be getting. Donโ€™t get me wrong,  my taste isnโ€™t perfect but definitely better than last time. 

Sue, sorry I never replied to your previous post about running. Iโ€™m really missing it just now but have been a bit more accepting that Iโ€™ll need to just wait till Iโ€™m back on my feet properly before I think about it. Suspect Iโ€™ll be a couch to 5ker by time I get back out but worth it all the same. I just love it and itโ€™s my wee escape. Iโ€™ll try and walk for the time being. Well done on you doing the race for life on Sunday, youโ€™re amazing! Donโ€™t even think I could consider that just now. Also hope the infection clears up soon and Billy Bob behaves himself! 

I hope youโ€™re all ok and getting through this week ok. Love to everyone who has a chemo this week. Hope it all goes smoothly. ๐Ÿ’—

Hello ladies

I was due to have my 5th chemo yesterday but unfortunately ive got an infected insect bite (not Billy Bob the blister - he's burst!!) So im now on antibiotics. I need to get my bloods checked again tomoro and im booked in for chemo on friday so fingers crossed i can go ahead then!!  This is the first time ive had chemo delayed so im gutted but like the doctor said the infection needs to clear up as the antibiotics and chemo affect the white blood count in different ways and i could end up poorly and being admitted to hospital. 

Im taking part in the race for life on sunday and ill probably feel grotty but ive got my children, family and friends taking part with me and im determined to do it even if i have to crawl!! Ive ran the race for life many times before and i signed up in january on the day my mum was diagnosed (she passed away 3 weeks later) and just before i was diagnosed and ive raised ยฃ300 so far. 

Hope you lovely ladies are all keeping well

Take care

Sue xxx

Our group has been a bit quiet for a couple of days so hope everyone is ok?

Susanmanchester - you are so nearly there with chemo Smiley Happy  You are right, we may feel and look rubbish but it will soon be over.  Can you imagine how it will be to look and feel normal again! 

Day 7 post chemo 6 and I've been feeling a bit sorry for myself this morning.  Not sure why as I slept well and still got out on my usual run first thing.  I find the couple of days after finishing steroids, emotionially exhausting and I overthink everything.  I guess that's what they call a steroid crash?  Not sure if anyone else experiences that effect each time? 

Anyway I've sat around this morning, watching TV which definitely isn't me at all and I'm sure it's making me feel worse!  Even had some pain in my legs and knee joints which I haven't really suffered with on Docetaxel.  So just had lunch (taste buds are completely shot) and have decided to get myself off the sofa and out to the shops!  I need to buy a couple of birthday presents and at least my mind and body will be active and I can chill a bit more this afternoon.  Will need to make sure I avoid anyone with germs though! 

Hope all those having chemo this week are doing ok and those experiencing pesky side effects are coping. xxx

I have chemo 11 on Friday then one more after that . I am desperate for it to be over but also scared ... have a three week break then radiotherapy . Have got away relatively lightly have even kept most of my hair thanks to cold cap but no lashes no eyebrows and tired tired tired after 3 FEC and 7 Paclitaxel . In short I look and feel rubbish and seems such a long time since life was normal . Good to know not alone though best to all x 

Evening Ladies

I feel like we all need a virtual group hug to support each other in our group xx 

I don't think anyone can understand the effect of the emotional side of a cancer diagnosis unless you have been actually diagnosed with cancer.  The shock, denial, why me, what could I have done differently and then everything changing overnight in your life and feeling you have no control over anything.   I only said to my Husband last night, I wish I didn't feel afraid all the time.  I've felt afraid since I found the lump at the end of January and still feel afraid every day.  It's just such a roller coaster journey.  I've always been such a positive person so just trying to fuel some of that positive energy into getting through each day and taking control of anything I can.  Sue - we could have done with a photo of Billy Bob to make us smile Smiley Happy

This forum is great for supporting each other as only other people with breast cancer will understand.   We can do this lovely ladies, each of us on our own journey, however long that takes us to move on with our lives.  We need our normalities back and I don't think any of us will take anything for granted again.  Sending lots of love and support to you all xxx

Hi ladies

Sorry to hear u have all been quite emotional lately.  Ive had days were ive sat and cried - the emotion of it all but also i feel so fat because of the weight ive put on with the steroids as im usually so active. Lynsh can i ask how u have coped with not being able to run? I usually run 3 or 4 times a week but just not had the energy.  Running is a big part of my life for 10 years and ive missed it and i know ill get back to it once my treatment is over but sadly dont think ill be doing the half marathon im signed up for in september!!  I did walk with my running club but ended up with a humongous blister as my trainers were tight from my feet swelling up on the steroids.  I saw my oncologist on friday and she couldnt stop staring at my foot!! If i could post a photo on here i would to make u all laugh.  I nicknamed it Billy Bob and he burst yesterday๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ.  

I also found ive been emotional at the fact that tomoro is chemo number 5 and in 3 weeks ill have my 6th and final chemo.  Its been the main focus for me for so many months and i think ill be sad to say goodbye to the girls on the chemo ward as i see them every week and chat to them when im getting my PICC line cleaned.  I still have radiotherapy in september but ive had my surgery in march so im almost two thirds of the way into my treatment.  

Ive really enjoyed chatting to all u lovely ladies on this forum and its been great that we've been able to help and support each other.  I feel emotional that we are all coming to the end of our chemo journey.

Take care ladies, speak soon

Sue xxx

Hi LynsH

I also had the same problem with needing Mirena taken out, but it was changed to copper coil straight away and its been absolutely fine.

I'm finding I'm getting more emotional now as the chemo goes on, but I don't know why!

I have days where I just sit and cry, and I've also found nothing stops it. I just hide at home in these days!

I've been lucky to be referred to a lovely psychologist whom I am seeing monthly, my breast care nurse put me in touch with her.

I think moods will be very up and down in the months and years to come and it's still just one day at a time for all of us. 

Grateful for the support on the forum, I can be more open than with friends and family as they are all still struggling with the diagnosis as well. 

Christine, 

I can also totally empathise with your emotional state. Everyone needs us to be the strong ones but sometimes itโ€™s just nice to be able to rant and tell people you donโ€™t want to hear their stories, good or bad. Everyoneโ€™s experiences can be so different of this. I had an outburst in the doctors surgery the other week. I had to get my mirena coil removed and had to go back to see consultant as nobody seemed to know what kind of contraceptive was safe for me! Turns out pretty much nothing other than copper coil or blooming comdoms!! ๐Ÿ˜‚ But she started speaking to me about side effects of tamoxifen and recommending stuff for vaginal dryness (sorry if TMI!!๐Ÿ™ˆ) as its going to put me in an induced state of menopause. I donโ€™t know why but this just totally hit home that at 37 Iโ€™m going through a major life change and thereโ€™s absolutely nothing I can do about it. I had always wanted another baby too and I think the reality hit home thatโ€™s never going to be a possibility either as Iโ€™ll need to be on tamoxifen for at least 5 years. 

I went from hardly shedding a tear since my diagnosis to being unable to stop blubbering. Thankfully the doctor was so lovely but she must have been a bit like, blooming heck love!!! ๐Ÿ˜‚

i think my my point is, we will all have our breaking point. This is what weโ€™re all here for. To get each other through. I am also stressing about putting on too much weight as literally nothing bloody well fits!! But Iโ€™m normally a runner so really missing this for both my mental and physical health. I know we will all get there in the end but it will take time. I feel reassured Iโ€™m not alone with you lovely ladies and we will get there eventually. 

Big hugs for week ahead girls! ๐Ÿ’ž xxx

Hi Christine

So sorry to hear you are struggling emotionally, i think it is part and parcel of the treatments.  I too have had the ups and downs sometimes just bursting into tears.  I know what you mean about people always wanting to tell you about 'a friend of a friend', for some reason they must think you want dwell, when all you want to do is scream in their face to shut up.  I have now put it down to the reason that they don't really know what to say.  

It is natural to feel scared to start your treatment again, I was scared before the very first time i had chemo then again when i changed on to Docetaxel - is just fear of the unknown - but these forums help, they show that every thought, emotion, side effect is a normal reaction to what we are going through and we are here to help.  Don't be alone on this journey, it sounds like you have a wonderful partner, and we are here too.

Hope you have better days ahead

Take care

Debi

Hi everyone,

I have tried to take a week off from this forum so only just catching up now. Iโ€™m so sorry to hear that a lot of you are struggling with your new chemo. But well done to those that have finished, it reminds me that there is an end! We donโ€™t have a bell on our unit either but Iโ€™m not sure Iโ€™d ring it if there was. Iโ€™m still at the start of treatment and have a long way to go but Iโ€™m still going to celebrate the end of chemo next month with a glass of Nosecco (alcohol free prosecco!).

This week was the first week in 3months where I didnโ€™t have Chemo. I went away with my partner and it was amazing to just get away. We went to Swanage in Dorset for a couple of days and it was so relaxing. He then stood by my side whilst I was bridesmaid to my friend this weekend. 

As amazing as it was, I have really struggled emotionally. I have been so positive and held it together for him and my family but towards the end of this week I have started to crack. Such a mix of things. I was looking at photos of my this time last year and itโ€™s got to me. I have realised how much weight I have put on and how different I look. I just donโ€™t feel like me. All the bridesmaid photos keep coming through and I just keep crying. I think my boyfriend is struggling with the amount of reassurance I need right now. 

To add to this I keep getting told stories about other people that had breast cancer and the last couple I have really struggled with. I donโ€™t know why people insist on trying to relate to us by telling these stories of friends of friends that they know. I canโ€™t help but ask how they are doing only to hear the worst. Has anyone else found this? I was having my make up done for the wedding and the makeup artist told me a story about her friend and I couldnโ€™t tell her to stop because I was too polite. The rest of the day I felt tainted by this story and I didnโ€™t offload to anyone because I didnโ€™t want to ruin their day either. 

Iโ€™m also so scared to start chemo again on Wednesday. You guys have reduced this fear by explaining that FEC hasnโ€™t been all that bad but Iโ€™m nervous. I think having a week off has been good in so many ways but also has made me overthink. 

Sorry to rant. I just keep crying and thought, who better to explain this to than the girls going through it with me! Sorry for the long message 

๐Ÿ’–

Good morning everyone

Kelly my heart goes out to you and your brother, wishing you both the strength to get through this awful time.  Just remember we are here for you whenever you need any support.

Bramley i think treatment 4 and 5 side effects were very similar, although i have been getting jaw pain in the night which i think is down to the Zarzio (white blood cell) injection.  I am going to call the BC nurse and ask her today.

LynsH how many steroids do you take and for how long? I just take 16mg daily for three days, one day before chemo then the next two days.  The family break sounds lovely, i think i would be sat in the hottub every evening.  Hope you have a great time and lets hope its side effect free๐Ÿน

Wishing everyone a lovely day and hope the ladies that haven't posted in a while are ok.

Take care

Debi

Evening girls, 

Kelly, so sorry to hear about your brother. Itโ€™s not fair is it. Wishing you both a speedy recovery and back to full health very soon. Canโ€™t imagine how difficult that is to deal with on top of your own diagnosis. 

Bramley, you sound like youโ€™re doing well on day 4! 22k steps! Thatโ€™s amazing! I managed just over 11k today but Iโ€™m blooming exhausted now! Itโ€™s not even that warm here in Scotland so Iโ€™ve no excuse!! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Iโ€™m on day 3 post treatment 5 for docetaxel. Not got too many side effects yet. I always get a funny voice for a couple days which is weird and Iโ€™ve got that again. Not sure if itโ€™s fatigue or side effects of steroids. Heโ€™s reduced my steroids this time so I just have 2 to take tomorrow and im done. 

Like you im starting to take my paracetamol tonight and pre-empting the joint pain. Try and get ahead of the game. We have a wee family break planned leaving on Friday to Lake District  so I really want to feel ok for that. Weโ€™ve booked a lovely lodge with a hot tub so hoping that will help with the joint pain if it is bad! And perhaps a g&t whilst Iโ€™m doing so!! 

I hope everyone else is doing ok. Sending lots of well wishes to you all and like Bramley says, we are nearly there. And we will be around to anyone else who has a few more sessions left to support them to the end of their journey too. Itโ€™s a team effort after all. 

Sleep well girls. ๐Ÿ’—

Hi All

Hope everyone has managed to enjoy the weekend in this lovely weather.  

Kelly - glad to hear that you can finally had your CT scan and hopefully this means you can crack on with your weekly chemo.  It's better to be safe and it really doesn't matter that you will be a bit behind in our group, as long as we all get there in the end.  It's a very individual journey and hopefully you will be back on the right track soon.  So sorry to hear about your Brother.  It truly is an awful disease that affects so many.  I had no idea of the world of cancer or oncology  before I was diagnosed.  I find it terrifying that statistics predict that 1 in 2 people will develop cancer in their lifetime.  How can that happen?  Hopefully one day they will find a way to prevent it even happening through routine tests. 

Debi - hope you have turned the corner on the side effects of chemo 5 (Docetaxel)?  Did you find round 5 slightly easier than round 4 with side effects?  You are getting ever closer to finishing chemo and August will soon be here.   

I'm doing ok on day 4 post chemo 6.  I know tomorrow will be the test on day 5 but so far I seem to be following the same pattern as post chemo 5. Bit of a sore throat, slimey tongue, taste buds going again and tingling in fingers.  No joint aches, pains, flu type symptoms or issues with feet though.  I'm still on the steroids (last one tomorrow) and have done 22k steps today.  I feel fine but will relax and watch TV for the rest of the evening.  Taking 2 x paracetemols just before bed at night (after temp check) which seems to help me get a good nights sleep in the first few days post chemo.  Forgot to do my daily injection this morning so have done it around an hour ago which probably isn't ideal!  I've cut my finger nails pretty short now and applied a dark pink nail varnish as I noticed they were looking very yellow with chemo rings around the top of the nail.  I've also painted my toe nails in an even darker shade but they don't seem to be yellow or showing any signs of stress yet.  I guess that may come in the next few weeks!  This chemo just keeps on giving doesn't it!

Tomorrow is the start of another week.  Good luck to those having chemo this week and hope everyone else is coping as best they can with the side effects.  We are all one step closer to finishing this journey  xx

Evening all

Well I finally had my heart CT today, so fingers crossed, all will be ok, so I can crack on with my chemo.

I am miles behind you all now, with me having such a long break from it. Iโ€™ve had 3 sessions and will be going onto weekly Paclitaxel for up to 12 weeks! Thatโ€™ll take me up to around October. 

Im also unsure about ringing the bell, as Iโ€™ll still have 3 weeks of Radiotherapy to do afterwards....Iโ€™ll decide nearer the time, but will defo be relieved at the end of it all.

On top of this, Iโ€™m supporting my brother who has been diagnosed with lung cancer, he had his first chemo last week. Life can be so blummin cruel canโ€™t it, but we are close and there for each other. Weโ€™ve already lost our Mum to lung cancer, so feel weโ€™ve had our share of this awful disease. 

Anyway, wishing you all well with your progress and itโ€™s nice to know some are so close to the end of chemo ๐Ÿ˜Šx

Hi everyone

Congratulations Bramley no more chemo๐ŸŽ‰.  I still have 2 more to go as i was on 3 x EC then 4 x Docetaxol, Herceptin & Pertuzumab.  My last chemo won't be until Aug 13th! but when it comes i will definitely be ringing the bell ๐Ÿ””. 

My side effects kicked in last night so i have been a bit worse for wear today.  Hopefully they won't last long.

Sorry to hear some of you are having bad side effects too, just keep thinking of the good days to come.  I keep a diary every cycle so i can look back and see how bad and how long they lasted last time, it sort of gets me through the not so good days.

Well i am taking myself off to bed early tonight, i will listen to my audible book and drift off.

Good Night 

Debi

Afternoon all

Another sunny day and I'm being brave again and sitting out under the awning bald.  Actually there may be something happening on the hair growth!  I definitely have quie a few tiny hairs sprouting through and they are looking darker Smiley Happy.  I'm now on day 2 post chemo 6.  Rome wasn't built in a day but I keep inspecting it every morning after washing/conditioning my scalp and there is definitely something happening.  It's gonna be a long journey but it's a definite start!

I appreciate that ringing the bell after chemo is a very personal and individual decision and I think everyone should do whatever feels right for them.  I was undecided for a long time but made my decision the night before to ring it to mark the end of the chemo phase of treatment, although I know there is still a long way to go. 

Phet - glad you are feeling better in your 3rd week and have been keeping busy with your academics.  It must make you feel normal again and back to your pre cancer diagnosis life for a few hours to be able to work.  You are so close now to finishing chemo, just the last one next Tuesday and you can ring that bell loud and proud Smiley Happy 

Pollensa - sorry you are feeling so rubbish after your first round of Docetaxel.  Hopefully Oncologist can help for next round.

LynsH - good luck for your 5th chemo tomorrow.  Hope the side effects are less after this one, they were for me on round 5.  And if they aren't, its another one checked off and getting ever closer to finishing chemo.  Your kids will love to see you ring that bell Smiley Happy

I'm doing well 2 days post chemo 6 but I know the pesky side effects may be just round the corner on day 4-5.  I went to a circuits class at Maggies this morning, followed by yoga, reflexology at the hospital (so relaxing!) and then for my usual walk around my neighbourhood after lunch.  I'm definitely tired going to bed, but feel better to keep moving and sleeping well even on the steroids Smiley Happy

Stay positive everyone.  We are getting there xxx

Hi all! Sorry I've been absent - I suffered the Docetaxel for the first ten days but then felt quite a bit better and well enough to do a bit of work (I'm an academic - a historian) so that's kept me distracted for the past few days. 

Bramley - congratulations on finishing chemo! I also am having chemo first, and my last one is next Tuesday. I also feel unsure about ringing the bell due to it only being the end of one leg of treatment, but your experience convinces me that it will feel cathartic to mark the occasion in some way. 

Lizandsarah - I am sorry you are suffering so much from the Docetaxel, that is very frustrating

LynS - I've found that taking an antihistamine (Loratidine) helps with the bone pains from filgrastim. I take it once a day, in the morning, throughout the cycle and I have not suffered the bone pain from the injections much at all

Hope everyone has an enjoyable day today, without many side effects!