325388posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

April 2019 Chemo Starters πŸ’–

Re: April 2019 Chemo Starters πŸ’–

Hi Lindy56

i too start my chemo tomorrow. Mine is at 12.30. I feel like you, glad to get the process started but scared of the chemo, how it will make me feel, how quick will the side effects hit me, which ones will I get, I’ve had a PICC line fitted as I hate needles & veins. Im having weekly Chemo for 12 weeks then on FEC for 12 weeks which will be every 3 weeks. However we feel, we will get through it like others have - it’s just the unknown. I’ll be thinking of you & let me know how you get on

Community Champion

Best wishes to you all on Mothers Day.  I just wanted to let you know you can get through this however scary it feels right now.   I started 8 rounds of chemo in May 2017 and the good thing about starting in the Spring is that you can have lots of little walks outdoors and avoid contact with people but make sure you protect your skin from the sun extra to normal. Here is my story which has some chemo tips on how I coped which were collectively shared from others who had gone through the same from this forum:  http://lifeafterlola.com/

You can also ask the nurses on this forum if you have any concerns.  In the meantime, the top tip is always to stay well hydrated throughout chemo, aiming for 2 litres of water per day.

Here is the BCC guide on chemo:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment...

You got this. Xxxx  

Hi Debi2, thank you for your kind thoughts. I will let you know how I get on. And yes we will get through this. There for each other every step of the way. X

Hi  Lindy56

I all the anxious and scared feelings are normal, i haven't started my chemo yet (9th April) but i am sure i will feel exactly the same.  Try to keep positive and keep coming on here for support and chats.  I will be thinking of you tomorrow and yes we will get through this. 

Hi everyone, thank you for replies. Hope everyone is having a good mother’s day. I’m very new to this and finding it hard to concentrate on things at the moment. My first chemo appointment is getting ever closer, 830 tomo morning. Feeling very anxious and scared but trying to enjoy today with my lovely family. I think a lot of my fears are the unknown, how I will react and feel after the chemo. If anyone can give me any ideas how to cope I would be so grateful. I know we will all react differently. I will get through this and look forward to making some friends on the forum. Take care everyone 

Hi April Ladies

Just popped in from the February group and read some of your posts, many of which reflect our own thoughts, fears and experiences. We're a pretty mixed bunch and if you pop in you'll find there'll be at least one us who's diagnosis and treatment is the same or very similar to your own. We're a fairly chatty lot,  just look at the number of posts, so if any of you want any help or advice during this journey that none of us wanted or expected to be on then please drop in. One thing that I think really helped us to gel was a few weeks ago some of the girls posted  happy photos prior to diagnosis. This got us talking and we gradually found it was great to put names and faces together and we found that many of had things in common beyond bc. 

I'll be thinking of you as you each start your chemo journey. It's not always easy but it is doable ❀❀

Hi Debi2.

CT scan went ok, it’s like an open donut, so you will be fine when you have yours. PICC line is in & my first round of Chemo starts tomorrow at 12.30. I just want to get it started. On Friday I went and got my wig, which in all fairness looks great but still don’t want to loose my own hair, but that’s a small price to pay for my life. I’ve also suffered pain in my back but I know this is due to tension through  anxiety because I’m scared. We are going to get through this. The support on this thread is great. I also bought myself a nice journal as I’m going to write each day how I feel. 

Hi all,

Appt with oncologist on Tuesday, appt with wig place on Thursday.......oh the joys!

Only now beginning to feel recovered after op and complications. Seroma has dried up at last. Feeling human again and then chemo begins.....

Decided to stop watching American "chemo stories" on YouTube. Thought they might be helpful but they are just scary. Mind you, some of the British ones aren't much better.

Trying to be optimistic and stay strong for my family but the demons always arrive in the middle of the night.

Love and best wishes to everyone.

Hi there 19joanne86

Just wondering how you are getting on? Did you get your first cycle of chemo? I will be getting the same chemo as you and just wondered how you were and if you had any tips?

Hope you are doing well.

Silver

Hi, I'm also HER2+ and awaiting chemo before surgery. I'm hopefully going to be starting chemo in April but unsure as everything has taken quite a while.

14th February -dr

28th Feb - consultant surgeon

March - MRI /CT scan

End of March initial meeting with oncologist

9 th of April heart scan

10th of April bloods

I was feeling really positive but getting a little anxious now as I am going to be sitting at home for another week because there is no heart scan availability. Hoping that my chemo starts after this.

As this will be 8 weeks from doctors to bloods been taken and still nothing started :-(

Has anybody else had similar wait time? 

Hi My story so far. In April 2018 I had a clear screening mammogram. In November 2018 found a β€˜dimple’ in my breast which grow larger, this was found to be breast cancer in January 2019. Had mastectomy and 27mm lump with a further 20mm of breast tissue with cancerous changes found. Two lymph nodes removed as screening. One cancerous and second op to remove all lymph nodes. Since this I have had a seroma which keeps leaking, once in Tesco which was embarrassing as had to ask for blue roll from cleaner. Also wound keeps getting infected. So due to start chemo 4 April, but have another infection, more antibiotics and waiting to see if wbc has gone down enough to begin chemo. My husband has been so supportive, he has learnt how to dress my wounds and attended every appointment with me, every day he tells me how sexy I am and how much he loves me. He has not flinched once at looking at my mastectomy. Hope you all have strong support as well. 

Hi Lindy56,

Nice to have you on the thread. 

It does take over your life, and nothing prepares you for the emotions, dealing with both yours and others, and other impact such as on your finances which you don't always think about initially.

I'm 3 months into my winding road, it certainly hasn't been a journey!

Good luck with everything

Xx

Hi everyone, I’m new to this page and my first visit to the forum. I’m starting my chemo on Monday 1st April and would love to be included in the April starters group. Feeling very scared about the chemo, but also glad treatment starting to get rid of this monster. Going to have 6 lots of chemo at 3 weekly intervals before surgery. Have so many mixed emotions and totally fed up that this seems to have overtaken my life. Looking forward to chatting to you all and sharing this journey. 

Hi ladies im new to this page but its great that we can share our experiences.

I have grade 2 invasive ductal cancer, ive had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy and my first chemo session is on 16th april.  Feeling very anxious and nervous xxx

Hi Debi2,

I've already had WLE and ANC, followed by 2 re-excisions. And a dose of sepsis!

If they didn't get everything this time (they found DCIS during initial surgery for IDC), then it'll be back to have a mastectomy and reconstruction, with reduction surgery on other side as well, all in one day!

Every appointment brings more news I don't want to hear.

But just keeping everything crossed xxxxx

i am still waiting to hear if i am HER2+, i was borderline. I am trying to keep busy to take my mind of worrying all the time, i keep having a cry but try and pull myself together and get on with something.  Today i even cleaned the cooker to keep myself busy!!

I think i will be glad when treatment starts too, i have visions of the lump growing while i am waiting.

It’s great that we have got the thread going a little more now!

Im also having chemo before surgery. Is anyone else HER2+ on here?

It’s such a scary time, but I also can’t wait to start treatment to know that it’s finally killing it!

Hi lizandsarah, have you already had surgery? i am having my chemo first then surgery.  My consultant told me i will be having EC but i dont know how many yet.  My pretreatment visit is in 5/4.  Hope all goes well with your first chemo sessio and hope to chat more later.

Morning, 

I'll be starting my chemo on April 5th,, PICC line going in on the 4th. 

I've just ordered a couple of headscarves from ebay, and will be coldcapping. 

I've got a plan of 3xFEC, then 3 Docetaxol. 

No genomic tests, unless I signed up for the optima trial, so just having to put my faith in NHS predict data!

Still might need more major surgery, but keeping fingers crossed that next results are positive, as I want my life back! 

Hi NikNak5

How did the CT scan go? I have been given details of a wig place and was thinking of going to have a browse before i lose my hair.  My consultant gave me some tablets to take before i have my MRI because i panic when in those things, hopefully they will work.  Let me know how you get on.  Doctor said that he thinks my pain is due to the fact that i am very tight around the shoulders, he listened to my chest and back, tapped it and said he wasn't concerned.  Relief at the time but now i think he is hiding something from me because of my history of anxiety and depression!!

Well my treatment will start on 9th April, i will be having chemo then surgery. Can't remember how many they said but breastcare nurse said i will find out on my pretreatmnet visit which is on the 5/4.  I have MRI scan on 4/4, i think this is for measuring lump before treatment starts.  Lots of info given so my head is mixed up.  Sometimes i seem to feel too calm but other times i cry at almost anything.  Anyone else starting chemo soon?

Does this forum cover the whole of the UK?  I am in the West Yorkshire area, is there anyone else on the forum from this area? Hopefully we could support each other along with the help of the members on here. x

Hi Debi2. I have pangs of panic like omg what if it’s spread all over my body, but from speaking to others this is s normal feeling. I’ve had my bone scan & that’s clear, going for my CT scan at 12.40 today. I’m suffering with bad anxiety at the moment but I think thats down to how much information I’ve been bombarded with, all the blood tests, diagnosis results, hair loss & the unknown side effects of chemo. I’m scared to say the least. I’ve just had a call from the wig people & have an appointment for Friday this week. I’m scared about losing my hair. I’m sure your pain in the middle of your back is probably down to tension, the mind tricks you into thinking the worst (I know that feeling well). I’ve just had a cry & im scared about my scan although it’s painless. We are all going through such a tough but many people have told me once your treatment starts you’ll have a idea of what’s to come & our journey begins. We will get through this but it’s the road in the middle we have to travel down first, stay strong & like you I will try & be brave & positive. We got this! 

Thanks NikNak5.  I am a bit of a mess at moment, i have convinced myself i have lung cancer too due to pain in middle of back.  My mind is all over.  Seeing oncologist tomorrow so Breastcare nurse is going to have a word with him about it.  All the ladies on here seem to be coping so well and the support is great but i just feel like a wreck. 

Hi Hannah. I start my chemo on 1 April too. I’m scared but at the same time ready to shrink this mutant inside me. I’m having Paclitaxel & carboplatin then 2 weeks of Paclitaxel , then the 2 lots etc for 12 weeks in total then 12 weeks of FEC but this will be given 3 weekly. I’m scared of needles & don’t like veins so bad a PICC line fitted on Monday. I’d like to be part of the April forum. To learn from others, offer support & know we can beat this x

Hi Debi. I found out yesterday I start my chemo on 1 April. I’ll be having 12 weekly chemo sessions then FEC for 12 weeks given every 3 weeks. I’m really scared of the chemo but it’s because we don’t know what to expect & how it is going to effect us. We are starting our journey together so I hope we can support each other through this & also everyone else going through it. We will get over this, I feel one step at a time x

Hi

I will be starting my chemo sometime in April.  I have been diagnosed with Invasive ductal grade 3 with cells found in 1 lymph node, i am still waiting to hear HER2 tests - it came back borderline positive - so its been sent off for more testing, they said it will probably be positive but they want to make sure. Seeing oncologist Thursday morning. 

I don't know how many session of chemo i will be having, clip is being fitted first on 10th April.  Hope to connect with people to give and recieve support through this journey. 

Thank you for the replies! 

I hope that we see some more fighters come along to April’s thread.

We are going to beat this!

Good morning all, first I want to say I’m sorry you have found yourself here but also pleased you have found the forum!

I was diagnosed at the end of March last year, age 47. Two tumours 2.7 & 1.7, grade 3 HER2+. I started chemo on 4/04/18, and don’t mind admitting to you I was terrified. I cried so much before and during but I have to say it wasn’t as bad as I built it up to be in my head. 

I know I was very careful and also very lucky but I had few SE’s, most of my SE’s were from the steroids given during Docetaxol. Having said that it wasn’t easy, it can be very isolating. My advice is try and walk everyday, even if that’s all you do on some days. Also plan afternoon/days out/seeing friends for your good week. Also the cinema in the afternoons is usually pretty empty (no germs!) so a good way to kill a few hours! 

I haf 2xFEC and 4x Docetaxol with herceptin and perjeta. As I had chemo before surgery they were able to tell exactly the affect of the chemo and I am pleased to say I had a complete response. No cancer left in my breast or lymph nodes. 

I wish you all the best and hope it all runs as smoothly as possible for each and everyone of you. I’m sure you will be a great support for each other and I’m happy to answer any questions I can xx

Isn't it funny how you basically learn a whole new vocabulary! I found that side of it really daunting but after a few appointments and reading on this I think I get it all! I was amazed at how quick things have been happening too. Well except the waiting between results but then bang its one thing after another I can understand why people get overwhelmed by it all!

I went to  my local maggies centre last week and found it so helpful a really positive place to tap into and amazing sessions for relaxation, wellbeing and somewhere just to go for a coffee! There are so many amazing charities that I hadn't even heard of before all of this.

Got my date confirmed yesterday I start chemo 2nd April my chemo plan has changed slightly with the addition of Pertuzumab and herceptin along with Fec-D. Means some more side affects but also means more power to get rid of the fecker Smiley Happy

Hope everyone is doing well today xxx

Hi all,

I'm Amy - I live in New Malden, Surrey, I'm 46, and I have two boys (13 and 10). I'm in the process of separating (well, trying to) from my husband. So a difficult year! I found out over the weekend that I'll be needing chemo after getting a score of 30 (high) in my Oncotype DX test. Found out while I was on the train up to London for the march on Saturday, and then burst into tears on the tube, where a very kind man comforted me! Anyway, I'm seeing my oncologist today so I'll find out more then. At the moment these drug names mean nothing to me. I have to say I'm terrified. But of course, we have to do whatever we can to get rid of this b*****d. My surgery earlier this month went well, with lymph nodes and margin clear. But because I'm under 50, and the tumour wasn't small (27mm), and was Grade 3, chemo was always going to be likely. 

Wishing everyone on this thread all the best for their treatment.

Amy

I will be having Carboplatin and Docetaxel combination, both given at the same time over 6 cycles.

I have heard fantastic things about these drugs, and also working with herceptin and perjeta they β€˜work like magic’ so I’ve heard?!

I’m only 25, so I’m hoping for the best drugs possible x

Hi Everyone

I'll also be starting chemo sometime in April. I have my first appointment with the oncologist on Wednesday to start discussing chemo options. I was so hopeful that I'd be able to go straight to radiotherapy but here we are.

Good luck to everyone and hope the side effects are manageable for you all.

D

Hiya All

I start my chemo on 3/4. Having 3 sessions of EC then 3 sessions of Docataxel, followed by 3 weeks of Radiotherapy.

goid luck to everyone having treatment x

Hi ladies

I'm from Glasgow 32 years old with a 9yo daughter. Diagnosed on 28th February.

Meeting my oncologist on Monday and have my sentinel lymphnode biopsy surgery on Wednesday I believe chemo to start first week in April and going to be getting Fec-D x 6 sessions.

I'm feeling alright about it all at the minute although pretty sure it will hit me once treatment starts.

I have found all of these forums so helpful and everyone being so supportive it's been a great way to connect with people when your needing a little virtual hug or some banter Smiley Happy

Hope everyone is keeping alright so far xx

I'm pretty sure I'll be starting chemo in April. Still to see oncologist but once I've seen her its all systems go apparently.  Had a horrible time with surgery, developed haemotoma which meant emergency op and various complications after that. As if the diagnosis of breast cancer wasn't enough!

Know chemo is going to be fairly nasty but speaking to people on this platform who are experiencing the same should be so helpful. Looking forward to meeting new friends, just not in the best of circumstances!

Anyway, off to hunt for a more comfortable cushion......!

Community Champion

Good Luck with your journey!

I am from April 14 thread and there are still 5 of us that have kept in contact and meet up annually!

The ladies you meet on this forum will be of the greatest support to you because they understand!

Your nearest and dearest will try their very best but cannot fully understand your emotions or how you feel!

Sadly over the coming days more ladies will be joining you and on behalf of the April 14 thread we send our very best wishes for your treatment and recovery! 

April 2019 Chemo Starters πŸ’–

Hello ladies!

I have opened up an April Chemo starters for 2019.

My first chemo is on April 1st and April 2nd (over 2 days for first session).

I’m having chemo, herceptin and perjeta every 3 weeks.

Please feel free to share your experiences!

x