Re: April 2018 Chemo Starters

Sal glad to hear it went well. I am having the same op on the 22nd but just on one side initially. Had pre op Yesterday and an echo so looks like its going ahead this time as not heard anything today - it was postponed from the 3rd. 

ktk

Great to hear from you Sal. Glad everything went well. I had similar to you, therapeutic mammoplasty and reduction on he ‘good’ side. Very happy with the outcome. Do you have drains? I had one each side but they came out after three days. Kxx
Highlighted

Many  thaks for you kind replie.

Blue boob after that dye stuff they inject  in. Ive gone one better I now have two new boobs, one lump removed and the other boob resized. 

The whole surgery thing was so much easier than I expected. I have bin so lucky, with all my trearment so far . I don't have chemo fuzz. just swiss cheese brains, I keep losing thinggs,  words , the  inability to spell corectly

So many apoligies for the weired  spelling etc.  I was just about to type that I was looking forward to the radio, but maybe that isn' t the right thing to say.

Thanks again and good luck to  all  Sal

Hope it all goes well tomorrow, Sal.

Post-surgery, post-chemo, post radiotherapy my biggest problem now is my dreadful nails - only attached from halfway down and I think at least one is going to split across and fall off.  Still got neuropathy in fingers & toes.  These are tiny problems given what went before.  On the plus side, I’m growing eyebrows & eyelashes.  Someone told me about it’s the small things like this giving pleasure.  Small?  It’s huge for me.  Means my body is recovering from the vile things done to it.  I’m grateful for treatment but it hasn’t been very pleasant.

ktk

If it is anything like mine, you go into hospital first thing and get settled. There were 4 of us on the ward, all intended day cases (less chance of infection at home and more relaxing in your own environment). The surgeon came and drew all over my boobs. I’ve got some great pics. Very funny!! I then went for blue boob injection and into surgery. Woke up in recovery. Went back to ward for a couple of hours then went home. All nice and easy and a nice relaxed atmosphere. You will be well looked after. Kx

Hi just after a little advice, I had my radioactive injection today ready for the surgery tomorrow. They have said I will get the blue dye tomorrow , but what happens next.

I was unconcerned till now. but the wobbles have hit.

Sal x

ktk

Afternoon ladies. Re toilet issues. The antiemetics and steroids can cause constipation. I take Macrogol/Laxido for the first few days to keep me regular. Lactulose has a similar effect. It is very gentle and just prevents a backlog 🤣. I found that Docitaxol caused diarrhoea after the first few days. The first cycle was the worst. Since then it has been limited to one or two urgent sessions a day!! TBH I find the diarrhoea easier to deal with than the constipation!! Kx

Thanks Christine, I have the opposite toilet trouble to you, I can and do sometimes take Imodium which stops it but I don’t want to keep taking that until May. Some days I am ok but some days I am a regular visitor to the toilet! I’m sure I just have to put up with the bad taste, it’s not stopping me eating but very little does! Zoladex and herceptin does equal a lot of injections. How long will you have the zoladex for?
Congratulations to your daughter on passing her test. My youngest took hers last month but failed. I have to say a small part of me was pleased as it means she won’t be on the road!
Hello to everyone else, hope you are all doing well. X

Also when i had my lumpectomy back in march I was told i may wake up with blue boob but i had had a nuclear injection and scan the day before which should show the nodes effected but there was no guarantee i wouldn't need the blue dye too. I also had a tomsil biopsy in the same operation and was told the inside of my mouth would be yellow so was expectiong to be multi coloured but it was just the yellow mouth Smiley Happy

Hi Michelle. I have only had the muscle aches in the days after the herceptin injection followed by the joint aches throughout which means I can't find a comfortable position to sleep in. I did notice on one of the forums that someone talked about taste changes. After surgery for the DIEP i was prescribed a low dose gentel laxative to stop the strain on my tummy. I am still taking them as i am slightly constipated. Not sure which way your toilet troubles are. I agree i am not happy with this going on until April but i have an appointment with the oncologist this afternoon and i will ask what i can do. I am not sure there is a lot they can recommend.

I also need the results of the hormone blood test to decide if the ovaries are still working and if i will need zoladex with the letrozole i am due to start shortly. As the Zoladex is a 4 weekly injection and the herceptin 3 weekly it looks is if i may bee spending a lot of friday mornings at the hospital being stuck with a needle. I just want to feel normal and it just seems to be going on for ever. Having a bit of a down week but that may be due to expecting to have to have zoladex. will find out later.

On the positive side my daughter just messaged to say she had passed her driving test. The sneaky thing hadn't even told us she had had a test booked. Previously she had one booked and cancelled it as she wasn't ready. I very pleasant surprise but now i will worrying about her driving home down the M1 to see us...

Hope everyone else is coping.

xxx    

ktk

Hi Fiona, they introduce a blue dye that guides the surgeon towards the lymph nodes leading from the sentinel node. It does wear off eventually I am told, but takes several months. Kx

Hi Gigi and Christine hope you are both well. I was wondering if either of you are having any SE’s from herceptin? I have a funny taste in my mouth and still have toilet troubles! I’m assuming they are caused by herceptin, but fed up that I’ll have to put up with it until May! X

Hi Sally, congratulations on finishing chemo.
I also just stuck with this board with radio and now A good number of us have so had radio so can offer support and I agree with Dorabel, even the fatigue is nothing like chemo. It still hits but its a light slap rather than being beaten up with chemo.. For me anyway!
Best of luck with the new boob... One thing though, Why will it be blue?? Fiona x

Thanks for your kind words. I'm looking forward to the blue boob

. Love from mama smurf

Hope all goes well with the surgery, Sal.  I turned to the radiotherapy board when I started that treatment but returned to this board before long.  It’s only my experience but radiotherapy, while it’s no joke, is not as bad as chemo was.  Good luck with your treatment (the blue dye fades eventually).

Love Dx

Hi I guess this should be my last posting here.

I finished chemo on the 10 sept and have my surgery on 10 October.  At the moment I am looking forward to the blue boob, ( named  Mama smurf by my daughter). 

After the surgery come the radiotheropy, so I am not sure which threads to read and post on. Thank you for all the advice I have read, and good wishes to all on this treadmil.

Love Sal

It’s good to read that post-surgery is generally going ok.  I love the “anything boob shaped” idea; am so grateful my left boob still looks like a boob.  It’s getting sore, though, from the radiotherapy.

No more injections + port gone - must be such a relief Gigii.  Not surprised you are tired.  Every aspect of treatment swallows great wads of energy.  I was told I would be very tired after radiotherapy and, for me, this doesn’t mean I want to sleep.  It means I can’t cope with small setbacks because I just don’t have the energy.  I muddle through somehow. 

It’s back to the chemo ward on Wednesday for a zoledronic infusion (hoped I’d seen the back of that place for good).  I imagined it would all be over once radiotherapy ended.  Wishful thinking, that.

It does seem to take it out of us doesn't it. I went back to the gym a few times between chemo and DIEP but didn't do a lot and now i feel like my leg muscles have gone to sleep. Hoping to get back this week even if it is 20 minutes on an exercise bike.

I have a wound check on monday and hopefully get rid of the additional dressings on the unhealed bits of the wound and then the oncologist on tuesday to talk about letrozol and anything else. Hoping the blood test shows my ovaries have given up and no zoladex is needed but will wait and see.

Must be such a relief gygi to get the port out and stop injecting. I have found the herceptin aches have reduced as i have had more injections so hopefully yours will too. What have they said they are going to do in order to balance you up? Is it liposuction?   I have an appointment in 6 weeks to discuss what is next. Scars don't look too scary and i bought some ordinary non wired bras today to keep me going until i know what my final size will be. I seem to have gone from a D cup to a C cup which is fine as i was told i would be slightly smaller and expected to be nearer a B cup. Anything boob shaped is fine by me.

Still not sleeping well but i am getting there. Trying to find a comfy position.

all the best to everyone and hope the energy levels improve. Great on you both for running.

xxx 

Hi Gigi
Good to hear from you. I bet your swing is lovely in this weather! Such beautiful days we are having!
It must be a huge relief for you to stop injecting, hopefully physio will help sort out your achey legs. Parkrun is an excellent event I have done a few different ones. It is so inclusive, the marshalls will cheer you round whether you walk or run. I love it as the only person you are competing or challenging is yourself and you get a record of each one you do so you can see your progress. My energy levels are up and down. I think i am my normal self and then tiredness hits! Today I have been for a run and then lunch with friends and now I am shattered. I am so pleased to be back running though, I love it. I tried running after chemo but it was so hard, it has become easier but I have lost my fitness. Also annoyingly an old injury on my hip is playing up, after everything else that’s what hurts!! I’m getting physiology too, I hope they can sort it .
I am very envious of you reading lots. I don’t think I have picked up a book since chemo, I don’t seem to have the concentration at the moment.
I hope you get a holiday sorted, hot or not, you deserve it! X

Hi everyone sitting in the garden on my garden seat it's lovely out here and #lovelyhusky and my cat neo are sitting with me. I'd love to meet you all, looking forward to that. Stopped injections on Saturday and had my port out Monday. So nice not to have it or to inject anymore. Still very achy legs some days I can hardly walk but trying to push through. Been referred to physio on the 16th October. Had my pre op assessment too on Friday last. The op will even things up so that should happen before Xmas. Went to work today lovely lessons but tired. Off tomorrow so short week all in all. Her cep tin Monday too. How's everyone's energy levels? I'm really going slow but planning to start swimming when my port scar heals. Also registered for park run which is every Saturday they say I can walk round. But not up to it yet. At least work tires me out and I am sleeping better. Looking forward to regaining energy now off the blood thinners and moving so far away from chemo. Reading loads at the moment on my 4th book this month so my concentration levels are improving. We want to go away but it's not hot anywhere anymore unless we go way far and that's a bit expensive but looking into it. Have a list of places I want to head to. Well big hugs to everyone have a lovely weekend Gigi x