61266members
323015posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

Re: w, Re: Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

I thought of you today SA14 and totally understood why you felt so low...Yes, for all of the reasons you outline. I felt/feel the same.

The staff are  friendly enough and business like, prodding is along whilst our hearts are breaking. That table is a lonely place and they don’t really get it and why should they? 

SDxx

Sunnydaze you've just made me realise why I've felt so low and unhappy during rads- it's the lying on the bed, boob out, being poked and pictured and drawn on- all those original horrors. It will fly by though- I'm half way through now. 

X

I started rads today. I had to wait an hour and a half before I was seen. Hope it’s not as bad tomorrow. 

I ended up with leaking bladder too close to my eyes syndrome whilst I was lying on the rads table. I’ve had enough of this treatment before it’s even started. It just brings the full horror back to me and I want to move on ( even if I will metaphorically be limping forward and glancing backwards over my shoulder  😓) but hey ho, it has to be done and we’ve got to give ourselves the best fighting chance.

So onwards we shall go.

Hugs to all

xx

Hi LB2 and Kip.

LB2. My skin is not too bad. Having a review appointment tomorrow. It’s itchy and red near the node at the base of my neck.  I was told to be extra vigilant with sun cream there.

Kip.  The only exercises I have been given is the post op ones which I have been doing cos of the rads.  I don’t think the Lymphoedema is too bad but she’s being cautious. The Lymphoedema nurse told me to wear my sleeve when I’m working and not to carry heavy bags. She said it would do its job and remind my clients I haven’t been well lol! I have seen those other sleeves but can’t remember which site. I’ll have a look tonight.

2 more rads to go! 

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi DrummersWidow,

I'm not sure if I have told you about my lymphodema before (I still have the dodgy memory 8 months after chemo I am afraid).   Anyway, I'll tell you again, ignore me if I am repeating myself.  I have very slight lymphodema in my operated side.  Its not noticeable particularly but I was suffering with cording and was told to refer myself to the lympho clinic.  They measured it and said it was slightly larger.  I have a sleeve to wear, but only need to wear it when exercising or doing strenuous stuff or walking so I wear it around the house and when gardening etc and then don't have to wear it if I'm going out.  To begin with I was hateful of the sleeve, just another reminder but actually I don't really think about it now. I pop it on and quickly get used to it being on and can't feel it, have actually gone out and realised I've still got it on.   I think it has really helped it developing any further (I have a check up in a week or so).  Have they given you some exercises to do?  If they have, keep doing them, twice a day, they only take a few minutes and I think they really help.  I have noticed that my shoulder and neck on the op side get very stiff if I don't keep up with the post op exercises too, so they all help.   On a plus side.. I have seen online you can get some very pretty sleeves, ones that look like tattoo sleeves and flowers butterflies etc.. so if you are feeling adventurous?   I have a friend who has Lymphodema too and she wears a black one simply because she felt, if she had to wear it she may as well make it a statement.. she says she sees it as a badge of honour for coming through all this crap!

To all you other December ladies - glad to hear you are getting through the treatments and sorry to hear some of you have the "bladder to near to the eyes" syndrome.. me too, par for the course I think, its tough some days but I have more good days now too... and I also HATE those adverts...enough with the reminders!!

Take care all

Kip

xx

Hi LB2, I’ve only been on it for a month and yes the most noticeable se is hot flushes at night. However I still have some neuropathy in fingers and feet which seems to increase in the evening since taking it but not sure if that’s the drugs, no joint pains so far x

LB2

Wow lots to catch-up on yesterday. So sorry to hear of your radiotherapy experience MaryKamile, glad they got sorted the next time, they should treat you like a VIP now. And shame you have developed Lymophoedema Drummerswidow, hope the sleeve does what it is supposed to do. How is your skin holding up now you are near the end of rads? I have just 2 treatments to go, my skin is still OK, saw the radiotherapy nurse yesterday and she gave me Hydrogel to use if the skins gets weepy and cold pads to use if it get uncomfortable. Apparently this can all develop in the two weeks after treatment ends, these treatments just keep on giving!

KitKat18 - how long have you been on Anastrozole? I have only been taking it 3 weeks and trying to work out if side effects have kicked in yet. Just a few hot flushes so far.

For those with leaky bladder eyes I think we all feel like this, sometimes when we least expect it.  We can't stay strong for 24/7 over such a long time. 

Onwards and upwards, we are all getting there L x 

Morning all.

Thank you for your advice. I am seeing the Lymphoedema nurse at the hospital, a lovely lady who I believe has had cancer herself.  She’s ordered me a sleeve (something to look forward to wearing in the heat), which apparently is in but at the other hospital I go to. 

I am there on Monday to see the surgeon so will pick up then.  Just three more rads to go! 

The sun is shining  here today. Hope everyone has a good dayxxx

oh blimey!  I've just realised I've posted on your Dec thread (which I've also been reading obviously!) and not on the May one!   Eeek - I though I was getting away with chemo fog brain, but clearly not!!!    Sorry girls.   Good to say hello to you all though!

Hello ladies.  I hope you don't mind me popping in, it's just that I've been reading your posts with interest and I've found them a big help as I've been able to identify with some of what you are also experiencing which has given me some comfort around all of this.

I did post on an original May thread ( not sure why there are 2 ?!) but, for some reason, I didn't then join in on this one.

Anyway, I had my first TC chemo on  24th May, and if bloods are OK, the next one is Friday 14th.

My biggest problem at the moment is I can't sleep.  If I manage to get 4 hours in I'm lucky and I don't know why.  Admittedly I was on steroids for 3 days, but that was at the time of the chemo, so I'd have thought it would be out of my system by now and normal sleep would return.  It's so annoying - the only good thing is I get to see the sunrise every morning!  

Some of you have mentioned getting upset out of the blue, and I too have to hold back waves of tears sometimes - totally not like me at all, it just comes from no-where when it happens.  My friends have all said that I'm so strong, but really I'm not strong, I'm just trying to get it all over and done with and at the same time doing my best not to let it completely ruin my life as I go through it all.  I tried to explain it all to a friend just before my first chemo, but then she thought she'd upset me - which she hadn't at all - and ended up apologising in case she'd caused offence!  It was at that point I then decided to let everyone think whatever they want as others will never truly understand the incredible scale of the roller coaster of emotion that starts from the day of diagnoses and continues throughout the journey.  Only people who've lived it - like you ladies, and all the others in these forums - can identify with it and truly empathise with it.  So this is why I've found some comfort in your posts - it's stuff you want to say, but can't say to people you've known for years and years, simply because they don't understand and to be honest, they don't know what to say.

I know some of you have more treatments this week, so just wanted to wish you good luck and lots of love.

xxx

Drummerswidow, I agree, you are great on this forum. Definitely wise, reliable, compassionate  and funny. Don’t be so hard on yourself or think for a moment that everyone is doing better. I think we all struggle in different ways, but we try to support each other along the way.

Ouch, your arm sounds sore!  Kitkat has given you good advice I think, to get it seen sooner rather than later. 

Dikat, you look amazing with that crop. I wish mine was like that. I’ve been very brave these last few days though and just go out and about bald. Too hot for hats and wigs. It’s taken me a long time to feel comfortable bald, but I’ve finally got there.

Mary Kamille, it sounds like you’ve had a rough time, but I’m glad you’ve  sorted them all out at radiotherapy 💪💪💪

Stuck at 14, you are doing amazingly well dealing with young children throughout all of this. My friend had BC at 38 and she’s fit and well at 51.

We’ve got to stay positive that’s for sure.

Sunnydaze xx

Hi Drummerswidow, I love your grandmothers phrase, I’ve always struggled with leaky eyes and my bladder has been much closer to my eyes over the last few months and I bet it’s the same for everyone of us. You come across as a very wise lady and very supportive so don’t put yourself down. With regard to the lymphoedema can you refer yourself to the lymphodoema nurses - the ones at our trust say don’t wait until you are referred by the medics cos the sooner they see it the easier it is to treat. 🤗🤗x

Hi Dikat, love the new photo, I’m very envious of your hair, I only have the tiniest hint of some returning. I am supposed to get the results in this next week, but my bcn said yesterday there was nothing back yet and it has to go through MDT before I get the official version.

I’m sorry several of you are struggling with hot sweats, sleeplessness doesn’t help with the emotions and anxiety does it?!  Anastrozole is trying to put me into a second menopause but it’s not too bad so far🤞🏻Xx

Hi MaryKamille 

sorry you are having a tough tough time with rads and positioning. I have been suffering from pins and needles and Lymphoedema is becoming apparent in my left arm😟😟. They commented today about the bruises on my arms. It’s where they are in the arm rests. Bloody uncomfortable! Glad your husband is supporting you xxx

Hi DiKat.

Thank you for your kind words. I don’t feel very strong compared with you and all the others.  I keep on breaking down in tears at the moment. Bladder to near my eyes as my grandmother used to say! I’m having a lot of problem with self image at the moment but putting a brave face on it some of the time.  xxx

Hi maryKamille

Not surprised you had a meltdown yesterday, bet it was awful being in that position for so long.Glad they got their act together today!

I'm with you on the memory thing, hence having to reply to everyone individually. Thought I'd got away with it because I wasn't too bad during chemo, must be a delayed reaction in my case. I find it really embarrassing when I'm halfway through talking to someone and my mind goes blank, like you say in particular when trying to bring names and places to mind.....just thought literally whilst typing this, maybe it's to do with the menopause stuff that has kicked in for me.

Pleased you have your hubby who is so supportive and have found a way that suits you when dealing with family, friends. We all have to do things our own way.

Sending hugs xx

Sending hugs

Hi Dikat yep I am starting zoladex and letrozole on Friday- zoladex just until my ovaries are out, letrozole for 10 years but they'll have to fight me for it as I want to live a lot longer than that thank you. I'm currently googling recurrence statistical and side effects which is obviously stupid. 

Great photo Dikat! Xx

Hi kitkat18

Sorry you haven't got your results either. Do you know how much longer you will have to wait? I'm really surprised you haven't been referred to Macmillan. Nice that you have been getting the complimentary manicures/pedicures and I hope your fingernails sort themselves out soon. 

Sending hugs xx

Hi Drummerswidow

I think you are an amazing strong lady. I often think of you and how difficult it must be to have to cope with all of this on your own. Really appreciate your input on the forum. Sending hugs xx

Hi Stuck at 14

Hope all went well with your rads and review. Have you now had something prescribed?

Hope the counselling is working well for you. Wise words but it's not always easy putting things into practice is it. Hopefully things will get easier for us all over time and we can enjoy being in the moment.

Sending hugs xx

LB

Hi all I had the scan this morning and sadly I did cough and they had to do some of it again 😟 I was so embarrassed 😞 but they were very kind 😊 I had arranged that if I needed to cough I would press the emergency ball that they place in your hand but it came out of the blue 😏 Now we have the wait for results to see if this 💩 has been worth it 🤞🤞🤞🤞

LB hugs to all 🤗🤗

Hi Sunnydaze

Hope you enjoyed your family visit and that is such an achievement with the hill walking, well done you.

Sorry to hear your BCN is so rubbish, she clearly needs to change her job. I know it must be stressful but it's bl***y stressful having cancer too.Thank goodness you have good chemo Macmillan nurses.

Sorry to hear about the girl with the secondaries, news like that is difficult to hear. Totally with you on all the ads, I cant cope with them at all....I'm sure they have increased tenfold in the last 6 months!!

I'm struggling with the menopausal stuff too. Lots of hot do's, as I describe them to my kids, in the day and night sweats...then I seem to go really cold. Struggling with the lack of sleep, struggling with my emotions which I'm not sure if they are related to the menopause stuff or BC poop or a mixture of both. Thought I would feel better about things after chemo but that doesn't seem to be the case right now. Hopefully will feel calmer tomorrow after my next reflexology session. Really looking forward to our meet up xx

Hi Drummerswidow, Dikat, absolutelyannie and everyone else.....

I am a bit behind on posts - today I am trying to catch up but so much of each day is taken up with hospital journeys for Rads that there isn't much left during the week.

I am half-way through Rads and had a meltdown yesterday. Not my usual people for my 'treatment'. I had one tall radiologist I knew, and a trainee who I didn't. The trainee disputed everything and in the end I was in so much pain in my shoulder (because of the protracted period with my arms in that tortuous position) that I said I could not take any more. By this time they were both talking in hushed voices a few feet away, and the taller one agreed to let me wriggle and wave my arms about and re-set me.  They had to take photos because my position was not right the first time anyway, so that meant longer still.

Fortunately, I had my 2nd skin review with another 'unknown' straight afterwards, and just burst into tears. She was great and must have sorted out something, because today I had the 'best' radiologist (the young man who usually takes charge) and another experienced female. The trainee, though there, was allowed to do very little. It all went so quickly and relatively painlessly in comparison! And I had been dreading it so much.

Also, my memory is definitely going. I am really aware of trawling my memory all the time for names of people and places and this is not old age! I am sure it's the drugs and rads and everything else and will it ever return to how it was?

As to people, I have kept most at arms length. I do emails occasionally and just keep up with various groups and activities by that. One group member made it clear in exact words that she 'doesn't do ill', not that I had communicated anything at all about BC, but someone must have passed it on....Anyway, I don't have anything to do with her.

Good friends have offered to visit etc. but I don't want to talk about it endlessly and they accept that I don't want to see them now but I do respond to emails. So much easier!

My nearest neighbours, two couples who we get on with well must guess something - as they knew I was in hospital for a fortnight - and am often on my way there now! However, as one of them also had a hospital appointment, in the early days of my own diagnosis and treatment, and told me on his return that 'at least isn't Cancer,' I just decided to say nothing. They can't talk about it with me because it has never been admitted that I have Cancer even if they guess it. By the way that's the instant reaction of most non-sufferers to the big C anyway, doom and gloom! Very depressing. Others can just give you that pitying look which means, well that's the end of you then!

Nice to let of steam, isn't it? My husband keeps me sane. Keeps telling me that I am still me and how proud he is of me for my bravery. Also, he said to me the other day that he admired me so much because I always made people laugh! I really try to - it's on the phone with family mainly. He notices so much!

Hi Jayne 1966, how are you doing, have things settled down now with the drains removed?

Dikat, I am also three weeks on and still no results!

We have Macmillan at my hospital but I have never been referred there or even stepped over the threshold. Thankfully I do have a great BCN who attends consults yet was never given a named chemo nurse as was told would happen - everywhere is so different.  However, we also have a wig shop next to the chemo unit which does complimentary manicures and pedicures so my feet are now summer ready should we get some sun. The fingernails are still another matter although their base is now beginning to show a healthier pink so hopefully one day soon I can give up wearing silk and surgical gloves so I can’t catch them cos the top two thirds are still quite loose😬xx

Sunnydaze glad you had a good weekend. Sorry to hear about your BCN being, well basically a bit of b!! I know what you mean about the adverts re cancer. I was diagnosed at the beginning of October. Worst possible month!! Also sad about the lady you know who has been diagnosed with secondaries. Xxx

I've arrived so early for rads today- have a review too where I'm hopefully getting prescribed my hormone stuff - although the onc was quite dismissive of the immediate need last time. 

Dikat sending hugs and I hope you get results very soon. Sunnydaze that is awful about the lady you know.  I'm really sad that you had to hear about it too- it's hard not to let awful news like that affect how we feel. My counsellor said to me yesterday that if I believe my fate with cancer is already decided then so is everyone else's and we cant change it so we have to try to push it to the back of our mind and enjoy every day. I'm really struggling with thoughts of the future still. 

I have a lovely Macmillan centre near me but foolishly I havent kept up with the complimentary therapies.  I hope to get some in before I am completely finished but I know you all understand how hard it is to keep appointments that arent medical. Hugs to everyone recovering from surgery etc x  

Hi everyone,

i hope you are all doing ok. I’ve been visiting family over the last few days and I also went hill walking with my husband. I managed it, but it was so tough on the old joints. I’m taking it easy today. I’ve got one of my free reflexology sessions later.

Oh KC72, thank you so much for that top wig care advice. I’ve got comfort pure on my shopping list and I already have some baby shampoo. Great tips. 😘

Everyone seems to be talking about the support services available to them.

Here is my experience;

Regarding my BCN and Macmillan services at my small local hospital, they have been virtually non existent. A poor service. I have not spoken to my BCN since she told me I would have to have chemo back in December. She has not sat in any meetings and I’m quite glad. 

She only ever contacted me when she had bad diagnosis news to Deliver. I once rang her up and she said she had to be quick because her husband was outside waiting for her in the car....Yes, dreadful I know. I barely rang her up before this....

The chemo McMillan nurses at the same hospital are lovely though. They did give me a form to fill in at the end of my session re; further assistance, but I didn’t bother filling it in because I would have had to go via the original “I’m so run off my feet BCN nurse” - she made this clear every single time she spoke to me. She probably was stressed, but that’s not what you want to hear when you are coming to terms with a diagnosis- and I’m not generally a needy person. She just gave me the basics and that was it. I have just  kept away from her. There are barely any services available anyway, so I didn’t feel I was missing out by not completing the form.

im glad Kip and Dikat have good Macmillan services at their hospitals, that’s brilliant and should be in place everywhere else too. Postcode lottery comes to mind....🤣

However, my GP has been lovely and I have been able to take advantage of 10 reflexology/massage sessions run by a local charity to support cancer patients, nothing to do with McMillan.

im also looking into acupuncture for my menopausal sysmptoms. The hot flushes are manageable throughout  the day, but my night sweats are horrendous and hard to deal with. Do much so that I’m going to seek help. I have read up on acupuncture for the menopause and apparently it reduces symptoms. 

I’m sorry so many of you are feeling at sea with your emotions. I think it’s chemo along with the emotional trauma that has done this to us. I don’t know how to manage it myself really, only other than when I feel really bad i go out and do some exercise. I had some terrible devastating news over the weekend to find out a lovely girl who I vaguely know through a friend who was diagnosed with BC the exact same day as me is now dealing with secondaries of the brain and bones 😱😓😓😓. It’s so awful and so sad. It’s really knocked me for six hearing this and it makes me so angry because this disease is so destructive.  

On another note, I also hate hearing all of those dreadful cancer research ads on the tv too. I think they should ban them, they are really dreadful for people with experience of cancer to have to watch. It’s an emotionally crippling and deathly disease and we don’t need reminding of these facts when we are eating our tea watching tv etc.

Regarding a meet up, it’s good lots of us are interested, as LB2 says it might be a good idea to set up a WhatsApp group? I think it would be fun to meet up, although I am very anxious about it too.

Have a lovely day ladies and I hope things are beginning to settle down for you Jayne. You’ve been through a massive operation so take it gently and go easy on yourself.

Hugs to all, Sunnydaze 😘😘😘

Hi DiKat

I'm having a lumpectomy and anc. As for chemo, if all the cancer has gone I'll probably have 2 more rounds of FEC which is what I had to start with. If that are still traces of cancer then I will have TC instead. 

LB

Hi everyone it’s so interesting to read all your posts and get some insights into what is happening with your surgeries, drains and rads. I’m taking it all in for future reference. 

Had no 4 of 6 weekly sessions today - only 2 more to go then the appointment with the surgeon. Tomorrow I go for THE MRI of the breasts which will tell us how well this 💩 has worked 🤞🤞😘 I’m pleased that they will look at both as I am so worried about it coming in the other 😏 I just hope I don’t cough during the procedure 🤣 

hugs to all 🤗 LB xx

Hi Kip

It is me in my disorientated state.  Yes I do have a macmillan nurse who sits in on my consultation.  She is available I suppose for questions afterwards.  The problem with me is that it is not until afterwards the questions come to me.  I have tried writing my questions down but it is difficult to anticipate what the consultant will tell me.  

I do have a separate oncology macmillan nurse and she is really good.  I have agreed with her that because of my hearing loss I will email her.  She is fantastic and emails me back very quickly if I do have to email her. 

I am grateful for the support of these nurses and didn't mean to give the impression that they were not helping me.  Just glad Kip you clarified their role for me.  Oh God I wish I was not so disorientated.

Dikat 

That is awful about your results.  I had mine last week when I had post op review.  All the waiting around just increases our anxiety levels.  I am waiting now for appointment to another hospital for radiotherapy.   If I wasn't so disorientated I could get on with the housework!!!

Hope you will get some relaxing "me time" while you wait for results.

Nice that you have popped in Susie B. Not long to wait until you have surgery now then. Are you having a lumpectomy? I know you have said you will be waiting to find out if you are Her2 + or not. Is there a possibility that you might not need further chemo? 

A lot of the Macmillan services I will be accessing will be at the local hospice, not the hospital where I’m having treatment. Do you have anything like that nearby? 🤗💕

Hi ladies

I've just popped in to look at posts written by those of you who have recently had surgery after chemo to get an idea of what to expect. I'm due surgery on the 14th so am not too far behind you - I'm on the ROSCO trial and only had 4 rounds of FEC.

Jayne66, you should get on fine without the drain. My surgeon doesn't use them as the body is very good at absorbing whatever our bodies produce to protect the area that has been operated on, in the same way as our bodies provide a cushion when we get a blister. If the resultant swelling becomes too uncomfortable or painful then the hospital will drain the area. Hope things calm down for you soon☺. 

DiKat like you I can't feel too much, as far as lumps go, as chemo has shrunk my Gremlim pretty well too, so I'll try not to be too concerned if lumps reappear after surgery. Thanks too for popping in and updating us on your progress and giving us tips. Three of us are having surgery after chemo so keep the updates coming.

On the subject of Macmillan nurses there is always a bc nurse present during consultations at our hospital Yeovil. I'm slightly different as I have a trials nurse present instead. We don't have access to many of the other services as it is only a small unit within a relatively small hospital. I can't fault them at all.

Wishing you all the best Susie B xx 

Hospital have rung and said my results still not back from having surgery. Tomorrow’s appointment cancelled and been made for the following Wednesday. Know it can’t be helped but feeling frustrated 😞

Hi Kip

Yes I’ve been lucky too. My experiences with Macmillan are almost identical to yours. Yes, it is a shame these things aren’t standard. 🤗💕

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

sorry ladies meant to add...

Absolutelyannie, LB2, Ditkat - was interesting to read about the differences you have all found with the support from MacMillan and your nurses etc.  At Ipswich Hospital we are lucky to have a Macmillan centre within the oncology area and they offer all sorts of support and help, free therapies (massage, Reki, reflexology and counselling) and have lots of information on all sorts of activies and groups to join: sports, arts/crafts, reading, knitting circles etc.  Its just a shame this isn't standard around the country isn't it.  When I took part in the Hope course (similar to Moving On) we had a speaker come in who talked about all the different activities going on in the area for cancer patients and that was impressive, but you never know about these things unless someone points you in the right direction do you.

I was stunned to hear your experience of the macmillan nurses in your appointments too, I always have a Breast Care Nurse in my appts (not always my designated one but usually is) and she always sits quietly whilst the consultant does his bit then he leaves and she sits with us and goes through everything again and we can ask questions etc.  She's been there everytime within the Breast Clinic and with Oncology and I also have an Oncology Specialist Nurse too.  I must be very lucky, just so annoyed that not everyone gets this.. its the least we should expect during this nightmare. 

Kip

xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know I too had a lumpy hardness after my MX and my ANC.   I asked the Breast Nurse to take a look and it was a seroma but didn't need any treatment, its quite normal for some fluid to build up for a while, just keep an eye on it and give it a gentle massage.  She told me to try to keep some pressure on it, with bra and a cushion.  It slowly disappeared on its own.  There's a lot of swelling inside and scarring we can't see but I know its hard not to worry about these things, I still find hard bits and bobs and my armpit feels different on odd occasions.  Always get it checked out if you are really worried.

Kip

xx

Aww no Jayne sounds like you have had an awful few days with your drains. Really hope that things improve dramatically now they are out. Sending hugs 🤗💕

Absolutelyannie sorry you are feeling out of sorts. Can you feel a lump where you have had surgery? I too can feel a lump in both my breast and under my arm but am assuming it’s from the surgery. Yes it does feel weird because there was nothing to feel before as like you I had responded well to chemo. I have an appointment Wednesday for my results so will check if it’s normal at this stage, sure it is, only been 3 wks. Ringing the nurse will probably put your mind at rest. Totally get where you are coming from. Sending hugs 🤗💕 

Jayne 1966.

I had to keep my drains in for 14 days which culminated with me getting cellulitis.  I have to say I was relieved to get them out as one in particular was very sore where they had stitched it in.  So it felt uncomfortable but not like I had done a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson.  Maybe take some painkillers to help you. It’s all a very emotional time. Sending a big hug xxx

Absolutely Annie. I think we are all struggling at the moment. I went to Look Good, Feel Better today and ended up in tears.  We have all been strong but are now taking a bit of a dip.  A big hug to you too xx

Dikat might be my mood.  it has gone all funny again.  partly paranoia.  i feel as though there is still a lump where it was taken out and going up towards the lymph node that was taken away. Think I might ring the nurse tomorrow. 

I wish I could get out of this really strange and abnormal mood once and for all.   

I felt no great support from Macmillan nurses but then I have not asked for much just emailed some questions to them after consultations.  

Jayne 1966

so sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with your drains. Hopefully now that they are gone things might start to improve. 

Totally understand your mood - I have never been like this before. Maybe it is because we have too much time to think.

Apologies ladies but I have not caught up with any posts since Friday. I've had a really rough weekend culminating with me having both drains out today. Earlier than expected but still filling up a lot. I was just having too much troble with them. I not feel like Ive been beaten up and kicked and punched in the ribs and sides. Has anyone else experienced anything like this after drain removal? Sat and Sun I cried. Not I can't even find the energy to do that 

That’s not so good absolutelyannie 

The holistic needs assessment isn’t much use at diagnosis. I thought it was designed to pick up on problems afterwards. I do feel I have been lucky with the support I’ve had from Macmillan 🤗💕

Dikat

That is interesting re Key Worker

I was handed the Holistic Needs Assesment sheet of paper at my initial diagnosis.  Filled it in but nothing much came out of it except counselling by MacMillan. 

I did have two macmillan nurses.  One I met after initial diagnosis who I did not see again until pre op.   I had another one at my oncology appointments.  My experience of these nurses was that most of the time they just sat in on consultations. They never really did much and I never experienced nursing staff sitting in on consultations.  I suppose in today's compensation culture it was a necessary safeguard for the consultants.

Hi LB2

So pleased you are beginning to feel more normal and thanks for the good vibes. 

Everyone, have you been able to access The Living with and Beyond Cancer Team. I was assigned a key worker last week who I met and told me what the service has to offer. I have just completed the online Holistic Needs Assessment as instructed to do so. I will be meeting her again this Thursday to discuss my responses and look into what groups/support I can access to help with any areas of concern. There’s yoga, relaxation, art classes plus lots of other stuff. I’m assuming this is a nationwide program so if it’s not been mentioned to you might be worth asking the question. My key worker is a different Macmillan nurse to the one who supports me at the breast unit. Hugs everyone 🤗💕

LB2

Sorry to hear you had a dip DiKat, hope you feel better this week. I am now 7 weeks post chemo and just last 2 weeks have felt more normal, before that had achey joints and low energy. It is a gradual process but we will get there. I know what you mean about reading the side effects for the drugs we have to take - I thought "what fresh hell is this". But needs must, we just have to plough on and hope we are in the % that don't have any SE.

Sending good vibes to those who need them today x 

Morning Drummerswidow

Great that you’re getting those rads ticked off.

Enjoy the LGFB session, it’s great. The freebies are fantastic 😃 xx

Hi Dikat

I hope your week is better for you.  I’m having the usual hot flushes and some night sweats. Already been through menopause once!! Also having joint and muscle pain. Sometimes quite severe and am taking painkillers. I think what gets me a bit down is I’m on Letrazole for about 7 years and the se’s

😟😟.

On a brighter note Rads Number 10 today and going to a Look Good Feel Better session this afternoon after the rads.  

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

😘😘❤️❤️everyone, here’s to 👍👍💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻week. We’ve all had beam me up Scottie ‘friends’ who vanish and then we make new amazing friends 👭👭that come out of nowhere along the journey too, dikat ❤️❤️I get people who’ve known me 30 years not recognise me, it’s hard because all along this you still think and feel like you, only because of loosing hair we don’t look like us anymore. We now look like us now 👍and it’s a better us because we are on the mend 👍😁hang onto the rollercoaster beautiful 💪💪💪amazing, kind ladies, you are great ❤️❤️💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Hi Drummerswidow

I guess some of the se’s could be left over from chemo. Even though my bloods are in normal ranges now I’m guessing there is still a lot of repairing going on.

Sorry the rads are bringing you down. Still waiting to find out when mine are to start.

Are you experiencing any problems with the Letrazole? How long do you have to take them?

Sorry you haven’t had the support from some of your family but good that you have recognised which friends are there for you and more importantly with you 😊

Yes we will definitely come out of this stronger in many ways. Sending love 💕🤗

Hi DiKat.

I read your post earlier.  Sorry that you seem to be having side effects from the herceptin.  It’s difficult isn’t it. Are se’s leftover chemo, (which takes ages to get out your system), the new drug treatment we are on, in my case Letrazole, or something else. I know the rads are bringing me down a bit.

As regards friends etc, it’s a funny thing. Certainly found out who was on the journey with me. Friends I haven’t seen or spoken to for ages have been there to support me. Family have not been so good for me.  This journey we’re on does seem never ending. It’s almost like people feel it should be over by now and we should be moving on back to normality. What is normal? I think it’s going to be a new normal for me anyway.  I am learning to come away from negative people. I don’t want those who have dropped out of my life when I got diagnosed and now think that they can come back as I near the end of my treatment. I feel like shouting ‘It’s not contagious ‘. 

The fears we had at the beginning are still there,  maybe we are learning to cope a little more with the diagnosis.  I know one thing for certain it has made us all stronger and with perhaps a different perspective on life.  

A friend of my husband’s phoned recently and asked ‘what is wrong with you?’ When I told her she answered ‘ oh my friend died of that last year’! You gotta laugh. The things people say 🙄🙄🙄. 

Hi absolutelyannie 

You certainly get to know who your true friends are during this process and I think you’re right to focus your energy on those who have been there for you going forward.

Love what you said about the telepathy 😂 so on that note, let’s decide together to have a fantastic week and extend that to all the lovely ladies on this forum.

Enjoy your cookies 🤗💕