cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

Re: Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

Hello Delph,

I think it's perfectly normal to feel scared/concerned or worry in this situation - I do all that, too, and I don't have a family to look after (just a husband ;-), like you.

Sometimes it helps me to remind myself that I'm not alone in this situation, that there are people who support and help me - not only family and friends but also (many) strangers.

Have you told your children what's going on? I have a friend who just went through chemo, and she told her toddler as much as possible/sensible about her illness, and the child has been fantastic.

Also, try not to put too much pressure on yourself. Think of yourself as well as of the others.

Sending you lots of good energy and warm wishes,

xxx

Rapunzel

Hi Catlady,

I am new too and looking for the same - support and tips and perhaps a place to vent where people will "understand" Smiley Happy

(I start chemo tomorrow btw)

How long have you got chemo planned for?

Sending lots of good vibes x

Delph

Hello all,

I am starting FEC (3 then possible 3 T or 3 more FEC) tomorrow. I will get a PICC line in first. 

Very anxious is an understatement about how I am feeling. I am also very worried about being able to be "normal" for my two children and looking after them over Christmas. They're 5 and 10.

The line, the G-CSF injections, the whole list of possible side-effects - I have known all that for a while but it seems to have only hit home today (I was working until Friday now on holiday, too much time on my hand to think is what it is!) and I have done very little but cry all day.

Sorry, this is just such a self-pitying message! There are up days but today is very down.

Hello everyone,

Glad to read most of you are doing quite well! I've got my first chemo scheduled for 21st December. Am a little worried at the moment whether I'll be able to start because I've got a lingering cold and on top of that (since yesterday) a UTI. Now I'm drinking lots, resting, keeping warm, taking Ibuprofen, and hoping for the best. I have a feeling my body is telling me it would quite like a break from it all - oh well. I'm sure you know the feeling.

Wishing you all no (or at the very least very bearable) SEs and lots of good things to do pre-Christmas!

xxx

Rapunzel

Minimal SE so far. No sickness, just burping for England!!  Few odd things creeping in since starting injections - itchy palms, very dry mouth & sore at back of neck/hairline. Have physio this morning on scar which seems to have got very tight since Friday. Hate the thought of hair loss which is silly as minor in the scheme of things.xx

I have something similar but have them day 5 for 5 days. Had back and hip pains 😟😟

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi cat lady 😘😘sorry you find yourself on this journey but very glad you’ve found the forum, hope it gives you ❤️❤️❤️💪💪💪💪👭👭👭💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺🕺😁😁😁😁along the way, the love and support from every beautiful amazing lady on here will give you the 💪💪💪and courage to 🥊🥊🥊🥊it into oblivion. Mai7’s blog would be helpful to you (see earlier on this thread) we are here for you darling 😘😘💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx

Hi ladies I just wanted to say hello, I'm a newbie to all this... I started a thread and a very lovely lady pointed me in the right direction to here 

I'm starting chemo on Friday 21st for tnbc i thought I would try a forum for some moral support and tips 

Many thanks, Mai7 that worked a treat. I found it inspiring and encouraging, too, which is what I most need at the moment.
Community Champion

MaryKamille, if you copy and paste it into your browser it should work.  Links don't always work from this forum.   x

I am not looking up side effects, I just go with the flow. So far my main discomfort is constipation and I have no appetite. And I feel listless.

Hi Drummerswiddow,

Injections are G-CSF to promote growth of white blood cells and lesson risk of infection. Have to have one a day for 7 days. Panicked a bit yesterday when I read all the side effects(think I need to stop looking!) but was painless and so far don’t feel any worse. Can also cause hair losss so not sure whether cold cap worth continuing with or not.xx

Hi Mai7 Couldn't open your link! Yes, Christmas has gone a bit off the scene for me this year! Still some time left though.

Well I’ve gone right off my Oncologist as of yesterday morning. I got told that I really needed to do something about my weight as my outcome would be greatly reduced due to my obesity. Her words not mine. I went on my own ..... note to self NOT to do that again. At the time I just sat there like a numpty while she looked for some exercise/gym thing to refer me to. When I got home and went over the appointment in my head I got really upset. In fact I think I cried all afternoon and evening. Yes I have a weight problem but have other health issues as well so have not even been able to walk my dogs for the last couple of years. Talk about kick you when you’re down! 

I feel that I have brought the cancer on myself because I am overweight and what’s the point of having all this treatment if it’s not going to help. VERY, VERY fed up. Needless to say, she does a good impression of a stick insect! 

Daffydilly what injections are you doing? I decided not to have the cold cap as I heard such mixed reports xx

Hi Wahini,

They did but couldn’t guarantee time & it meant hanging around waiting. Also said better to do at bedtime so hopefully can sleep through some of the expected joint pain. I f it’s too hard I’ll shout for help tomorrow.

Hi Daffydilly. Did they not offer you a community nurse for the daily injections? I said yes please, I am afraid I would not be doing it right, like not go deep enough.

Hi all,

Had left mxt and full node clearance 12thOct, no reconstruction as wanted shorter op. PIIC line fitted & first chemo was 12th Dec. So far not too bad but burping rather frequently!!

Not looking forward to injecting myself tonight but guess will have to get used to it for next week. 

Had cold cap this time as didn’t want to lose hair before Christmas but so uncomfortable not sure what to do next time. Made it hard to wear glasses so hard to find distractions. 

Next session a day late on 4th Jan because of holidays.

Due to have 3xfec & 3xT but will take it a step at a time - if side effects get too bad may duck out early.

Wishing you all the best Christmas possible.🤞🤞🤞

Hi I started 12th December with first of six cycles, beginning with 3 FEC. I am waiting for the side effects to kick in. Up to now nothing worse than a mild hangover but the nurse told me I could get more tired as the steroids wear off over the weekend. Hopefully I will be alright for Christmas.

Community Champion

Hi ladies, I hope you are doing well.  Here is my blog with suggestions for coping with side effects; there are lots of tips which I collected during my chemo last year. http://lifeafterlola.com/  I hope you are all managing to prepare for Christmas.  Last year I spent Christmas in and out of hospital for radiotherapy and I did all of my Christmas shopping on Amazon!  I am enjoying going in the shops this year; it a real novelty which I previously took so much for granted!  xxx