61172members
322553posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

Re: w, Re: Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

Hi absolutelyannie, Drummerswidow, Dikat and everyone else

You have cheered me up, as we all seem to be experiencing stress at the moment. That sounds selfish, but you know what I mean. One thing this forum really does is makes you feel less alone.

I know what you mean, too, about people thinking we must be better now - we've gone on long enough being off the social scene, it's been a long time all these treatments, we look fine (the worst one!) etc.

No, we are never really going to shake off all we have been through and our fears for the future. We are going to have to deal with living with the aftermath of this disease and its very necessary but drastic treatments. It's another hill to climb but plenty have tackled it before us. That's the head speaking.

This is my heart. I can't forget the two on my ward of 5 patients who learned they hadn't got long left - although neither they nor I knew that when I first met them. How quickly things changed in that fortnight in hospital.Those two are forcefully in my thoughts at the moment but that is all part of being low myself, I guess.

So, I am really going to try to focus on the fellow sufferers we meet or hear of who have gone on apparently successfully for years, and at least try to ignore the ones you are told about, third hand, who 'didn't make it'.  Why would anyone tell you about those sufferers anyway? What can be their motive, or is it simply a casual and thoughtless remark?

OK got that off my chest! Let's try something else. My hair is properly in evidence now. It is really black! My father had fair hair and my mother had raven black curls and I was born with fair hair. It never went darker than a light brown with lots of blonde highlights as an adult. In recent years some grey came through, and I had foils to make it look like it should! So what's this with the black hair on my head now? Quite a surprise! 

The sun is shining and I have finished preparing for my German conversation group tomorrow afternoon.  House is tidy (husband does a lot and is competent, too!), and garden looks lovely.

Best wishes to everyone and hugs. xx

Hi absolutelyannie 

Yes, I’m so lucky to have 2 daughters, a son and 2 granddaughters, how about you? X

Dikat

you are so right.  Have to wonder what we are doing to the planet.  Weather so up and down.   I am very fair skinned so cant cope with anything over 25.  Lets hope it is not going to go beyond 30!!!

You are lucky to have such a lovely husband.  Do you have children?

Hope this coming week is kind to everyone. 

Sounds like you have a lot going on absolutelyannie! Financial stress, building work, Radiotherapy etc...make sure you take some time out each day, even if half hour just to do something for you. It’s going to be hard for us rads ladies to keep out of the sun next week isn’t it. My hubby has the week off but we are having to spend the week clearing out his Mums 3 bed house that’s full! She went into full time care 6 months ago so we need to try and get it sorted and rented out. With my diagnosis/treatment it had to be put on the back burner. Neither of us feel we have the energy now to be honest but don’t want it left empty throughout the winter. All the usual life problems go on don’t they! Take care 🤗🤗

LOL

I wondered where everyone had got to!!! Thanks for all the good wishes for interview but look at the soaring temp for next week.  not looking forward to it and then have to rush by tube in the heat for my rads.   Having the wobbles as I don't think I am ready to go back to full time work but after receiving this questionnaire for Employment and Support allowance or whatever - I think I would prefer to have a job!!!!. 

cannot get my head around this form.  Will try and get someone to help next week but I have 2 long days as I have some "simulator" appointment, then my treatment at 11am then have to come back at 2pm to see the doctor.  

Someone (here I think it was you Drummerswidow ) everyone thinks you should be fine now.  I feel tired but then cannot sleep.  worried about financials but really should be doing the housework but this building works is stressing me out.  bad enough trying to get through all this but having to put up with unwanted building works.  

Also has anyone else felt they were supporting other people.  I don't know maybe I have that look on my face but I seem to encourage people to moan to me.  I am very up and down must be the Letrozole. 

Marykamille great to hear from you

Lovely to hear from you MaryKamille. Pleased you had a nice holiday too. It’s strange really, I’ve felt more tired the last few weeks than I did on chemo. Can’t blame the rads, I’m only 2 days in of 20! Good to hear your redness and blisters have improved. Did that happen during or once finished treatment? Good luck for the zoledronic infusion, pleased it’s local for you. Don’t feel guilty about feeling down, it’s totally normal...more so towards the end of treatment I believe. I still feel like I’m on a never ending rollercoaster 🎢 It’s usually dependent on how I’m feeling physically. If I’m ok physically I seem to be able to manage my head but as soon as something doesn’t feel right I come crashing down! Take care, sending 🤗🤗🤗

Hi MaryKamille 

Glad you have managed to have a break away. I have been looking but at the moment I can’t afford it. Might be able to go away end of September beginning of October. Have to see how the finances are.

I think we are all feeling a bit deflated after the end of chemo and rads. Now we have to get our heads around what our lives will be like now. Plus everyone (mostly) expects us to be back to normal, after all treatment has finished 🙄. If only! I’m not being morbid or miserable but I feel that my life will never be the same again. FACT! Something life changing has happened to me and to all of us. Physically we need to heal but also mentally and I think that’s the bit that will take the longest.  Some of my family and friends get it but quite a few don’t. 

I had to laugh the the other day. One of my friends said ‘I know someone who had breast cancer and she’s fine now’. Another one said ‘My friend had breast cancer. She died last year’. 🙄😳🙄. 

I’ve had about 3 Zolendronic acid infusions now and feel fine after them. I’m sure you will too. Glad the redness and soreness has died down. I don’t like not wearing a bra either.

Off to my sister later. Something to look forward to ...... I hope. Not the most supportive of people. Xxx

Hi Sunnydaze, DiKat and AbsolutelyAnnie

I keep reading posts but don't seem to do much in reply these days. Hope job interview is going to/went well. Time is hard to pinpoint for me at the moment! Good luck to those on Rads now or having finished and finding it wasn't that easy or went that smoothly after all.

We had a break - holiday in Somerset. Weather great and enjoyed it but boy were my days short! Fatigue.

My scarlet chest and blisters now much improved. One month after Rads finished and I now have horrible hard bits around scar and they are taut - feel every movement - still doing my exercises though. Can't wear a bra yet and I really hate that.

On Thursday (25th) I am having my first Zoledronic Acid injection/infusion and not looking forward to it. However, it will help my bones they tell me. I didn't have a problem with my bones! (pre Chemo, of course). Only good thing is that they will 'do' me at local hospital, so no great distance to travel for it.

End of treatments really and I thought you were supposed to feel uplifted by that? In fact it doesn't feel great at all. Sorry folks to sound a bit down.

DiKat. That’s a shame your appointments are so late in the day. Mine were around 12.30 to about 13.30. Bang in the middle of the day but it meant the 50 minute journey wasn’t in rush hour or school run! Glad the first one was okay. Onedown ......

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Absolutely Annie ❤️Great news on interview 👍👍you are fabulous and brilliant and you can ace the interview 👍trust me you did chemo, job interview is phahhh on scale of 😳now go nail it superstar 😘big ❤️❤️To you all, galloping to ding ding dinging your rads bells now 👏👏👏💕💕✨✨Shi xx

1st one done thanks absolutelyannie. Yes will slap the cream on! The worst bit is the drive. It’s normally about an hour but took extra 15 mins due to tea time traffic. All of my appointments are around 4.45 xx

That’s a good attitude AbsolutelyAnnie. I hope they see your worth and pick you. I know it’s not going to be easy for any of us now. I’m just sticking with my job for now , due to all of the reasons you outlined.

Hope your rads went well today Dikat and sorry to hear it’s  getting sore for youAbsolutelyAnnie . I’m getting all sorts of twinges and tenderness under my arm three weeks after finishing....The joys xx

Sunnydaze 

this B of a disease has knocked my confidence though.  If it is to be it will be is my attitude as really dont know if I am ready for full time work.  but they have to make reasonable adjustments and no doubt Occupational Health will be involved.

I intend to tell them truthfully but in the present labour market they can pick and choose. 

Dikat 

Hope the rads went OK - had a feeling you had started last week though.  Chemo fog again.  

Plenty of cream.  though as I feel a bit sore today. 

That is great news you’ve got an interview Annie. I hope you pull it off. We will all be rooting for you. Fingers crossed. 🌈

Great too that rads is going ok. I’m pleased to hear this too .👍

Dikat loads and loads of luck for rads tomorrow. I hope you don’t have any difficulties and sail through this last lap of treatment. Will be thinking of you tomorrow.😊

SDxx

Absolutely Annie.

Glad the rads are going okay.  So pleased about the job interview. Got fingers, toes and paws crossed here. Xxxx

Dikat hope the rads go okay tomorrow xx

Bestest wishes Annie for that interview. Will keep everything crossed x

Hi absolutelyannie 

Pleased to hear rads are going ok. I start mine tomorrow 🤪

Good luck with the interview! You are so brave trying something new on top of all this! Keep us posted x

AA, good luck with the job interview x

@absolutelyannie wrote:

Sunnydaze Drummerswidow Dikat

Rads going ok so far.  but if you notice my absence it is because my laptop has packed up.  off to currys to look for a new one.  At least it will take my mind off the past few months. 

hope all is going well ladies and onwards an upwards. 

Hey Must tell you I have a job interview for a job at the hospital where I am being treated.  not far to go if I get the Jitters 

Every cloud has a silver lining!!!!

Sunnydaze Drummerswidow Dikat

Rads going ok so far.  but if you notice my absence it is because my laptop has packed up.  off to currys to look for a new one.  At least it will take my mind off the past few months. 

hope all is going well ladies and onwards an upwards. 

Hey Must tell you I have a job interview for a job at the hospital where I am being treated.  not far to go if I get the Jitters 

Every cloud has a silver lining!!!!

Ooft, that sounded like a stressful journey. You’re lucky that you’re been treated at The Marsden. I think that’s one of the top cancer hospitals isn’t it.

35 years in London.  You must have arrived in London as a young Irish lassie.

Im still on holiday, the weather is fantastic and all is well, for now.

Hugs SDxx

Spoiler
Spoiler

Absolutely Annie 

Brilliant! I found the daily trips a bit of a grind but it goes quickly. Slap that moisturiser on xx

Absolutely Annie 

Brilliant! I found the daily trips a bit of a grind ur it goes quickly. Slap that moisturiser on xx

sunnydaze and drummerswidow

Yes indeed I started today.  Thought I would be late for 9.30 appointment!!! was enjoying my morning coffee and looked at the clock 7.40am gosh I should be outta here.  Binned the coffee and got to the bus stop - wait for bus number 1 got to the bus stop needed to get bus to the Marsden.  One was pulling away and of course the driver just drove off.  looked at my watch 8.10 - next bus in 15 minutes NOOOO I am not gonna be late so hopped on the bus and got the tube to south kensington.  panicking on the tube in case anyone bashed into me with their rucksack but no even got a seat.  YAAY the gods are looking kindly on me.  This has never happened in the 35 years I have lived in London. 

Nice little stroll around the corner to The Marsden Hospital and got there for 9am.  was seen early and all done by 9.50.  back at the same time tomorrow and I think I will do the tube again.  

1 down 19 to go 

Absolutely Annie 

Hope your rads went okay today xxx

Hi AbsolutelyAnnie,

I’m not sure, but I think you said that you were starting your rads today, the 11th July. I just wanted to wish you luck with it all and I hope it all runs smoothly.

Sunnydaze xxx

Oh that’s really helpful Dikat. We are told such conflicting information. One girl told me I had to wait 6 weeks.!!!

I thought no chance 🤣

Sunnydaze 

At my planning scan they said they don’t tell people to stop swimming during rads unless their skin is breaking down.

I’m glad you enjoyed it 😊 xx

Radiotherapy and swimming.

I wanted to post this here because as a keen swimmer it has been torturous not being able to swim during chemo and then radiotherapy. Anyway, I went swimming today 8 days after my last Rads. My onc said wait two weeks, but I’m on holiday and it’s hard to wait. My skin has been good, with no skin break down or sore sensitive patches, so I decided to chance it. I put loads of cream on before hand and showered my skin really well afterwards and then put more cream on, but I haven’t had any problems at all. I know  everyone’s skin is different, but just incase anyone is going on holiday soon after rads. I wanted to post this here to give others confidence if their skin is ok too. I gave it a go and it’s been absolutely fine. No problems and it was an absolute joy to get in the water again.

I hope you have enough room on your phone Annie, but if you haven’t we can still keep in contact on here.

im so sorry to hear your sad news this disease is an absolute b*****d. Stealing too many lives, too soon 😢

Its funny you should mention vision Dikat...mine has definitely deteriorated and I am more short sighted than I was pre chemo. It really does give your body a real hammering😢

@DiKat wrote:

absolutelyannie 

Good luck with the dentist and rads.

You’ve reminded me I need to book dentist appointment as missed my check up whilst on chemo! Also, need to book with opticians...my eyes don’t seem to have fully recovered since chemo and my reading specs are definitely not strong enough any more. Hope those builders are nearly done! Nice having new things but like Sunnydaze says, the invasion is a pain, especially when you need sleep 😴 

Have a lovely day 😘

Hi DiKat.

Interesting about your eyesight. I noticed mine wasn’t too great with the chemo and I feel it’s still not too good. It seems my reading part of my glasses is a bit iffy! 

By the way dentist went okay. He said me teeth were good. I think it was because I was obsessed with oral hygiene on chemo 😂😂😂

sunnydaze

I am a technophobe and have a very basic phone.  Just dont know if it has the capacity for another app as i have facebook messenger photographs etc.  

I will try to do it now. 

very sad news today.  Remember I said 4 of us with this s***.  sadly down to 3 as one passed away last night.  

And these builders are driving me mad!!!

absolutelyannie 

Good luck with the dentist and rads.

You’ve reminded me I need to book dentist appointment as missed my check up whilst on chemo! Also, need to book with opticians...my eyes don’t seem to have fully recovered since chemo and my reading specs are definitely not strong enough any more. Hope those builders are nearly done! Nice having new things but like Sunnydaze says, the invasion is a pain, especially when you need sleep 😴 

Have a lovely day 😘

It’s not that long really Drummerswidow. Hopefully it will improve over time. My stamina is still definitely less than pre chemo and it’s 12 weeks since I finished and I haven’t started rads yet. My sleep is really broken throughout the night so that doesn’t help! I wonder if your medication makes you tired too!

Have a lovely day 😘

Hi all

Just wanted to say if there are any of you who were original members of the Dec 2018 or Jan 2019 chemo groups who haven’t posted for a while please feel free to join our WhatsApp group where we will be arranging a meet up at sometime, would be great to have as many as possible on board. You would just need to contact Jayne1966 and she would add you x

10 weeks since my last chemo and only 3 weeks since my last Radiotherapy treatment. I am soooo tired! No wonder really not that long since that part of the treatment ended 😟😟

Hi Absolutely Annie,

What a bummer having work men in. I hate it when that happens, invasion of personal space. I hope you’re pleased with your new windows though. Better insulation. Nothing quite like an afternoon nap though 🙃

You never know, your Vaseline might be fine. Aloe is supposed to be good for the skin. Whatever you use, I would get an inexpensive cream because so far I’ve gone through a litre and just about to start my third 500g bottle.

Good luck with your dental appointment too, Drummerswidow and Annie.

Im doing ok, enjoying fabulous weather down in Devon. Life feels good (for a change)

Annie, if you download the “WhatsApp”  App you can join our little group, it would be great to meet you there, if you wanted to. No pressure though!

Sunnydaze xx 

Absolutely Annie you will be fine with your rads. I’m off to the dentist tomorrow to keep an eye on my teeth as I’m on Zometa. I used Aveeno lotion on my rads site. Shame you have to get out of your flat because of the workman especially as you could do with a rest. Xx

Dikat

Thanks for sharing information particularly about deodourant in this weather.  Looks like I wont be able to use the Vaseline intensive care with Aloe Vera but I will bring it along anyway.  I expect once they start they will tell me more.  I saw the staff going around with tubs of E45!!! assume that they will give me one if my own is not suitable .  

have the builders replacing my windows as I live in a block of flats and have to leave home every day due to their drilling.  Just a pain as I am not sleeping very well at night so need my afternoon nap.  

Just let me get through Rads and then I can focus on looking for suitable job!! 

Dentist on Tuesday for post rad treatment.  not looking forward to that. 

I will let you know how things go when I have my first treatment on Thursday 11th.

Hey absolutelyannie 

I am following exactly the same path as you with rads, just one week later, I start on the 18th! I’m having the boosters due to being stage 3. The staff in the Radiotherapy dept told me to basically ignore everything the doc had said! Apparently his info was way out of date. I can bathe, used deodorant if I need to etc. Etc. They just said don’t use perfumed moisturiser on my area being treated. I’ve got to do the breath holding due to the position of my heart. Sending hugs 🤗 

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi dikat, also ring up bcc and also speak to you Macmillan unit they will advise you what your employers are entitled to ‘demand’ from you regarding medical records and they could also suggest a pip or something like that, I’ve heard other ladies on the forms have been entitle to pip or something, worth a try. Don’t let them upset you, you are amazing and you put yourself first ❤️Now you enjoy your 50th birthday and 😁💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Hi absolutelyannie 

You’re right, I will write and ask why they want this information. Thank you for your input and offer of support. Well done you for remaining in work and standing up for what’s right.

Part of me is not sure if I want to go back anyway but I haven’t told them that. Whatever I decide is irrelevant, people have to be treated fairly. My immediate boss, had already talked about ensuring I would work the hours/complete the duties that are best for my recovery and that all the staff members were behind him/me but he has just handed his notice in so won’t be there if/when I return xx

Glad to hear you were a Union Rep Annie. The Union have helped me so much over the years. A lot  of better working conditions have been hard won by the unions over the years.

I bet it has been tough fighting as a hearing impaired worker. At least there are now some good disability laws in place. I believe that as cancer patients our jobs are protected for up to 2 years and we are protected by a disability law. If we are sacked because of our cancer diagnosis, they would be breaking the law

Drummerswidow

So sorry to hear you have had hip replacements.   Why do some of us get clobbered and other people just sail through life without a care in the world.  

I too am on Letrovole and wish I could shift the 6kilos I put on whilst taking the steroids for chemo.  I would worry though if you were losing weight quickly and would ask someone about it.  

G

how did you do it.  I had the same chemo regime but it was stopped after 3rd Docetaxal and my surgery was brought forward by 3 weeks.  How did you do 5Km runs after chemo - I couldn't get out of bed for 4 days after chemo.  My toenails are now falling off and that is 12 weeks after my last chemo.   

sun is shining so I am off to sit on my balcony for a while

Dikat

Drummerswidow is right.  I would not allow your company access to your medical records.  I dont want to alarm you but are they looking at your ability to do your job.  As I said I dont want to alarm you.  I am partially deaf and had to fight to remain in work.  very proud of the fact that I have worked everyday for 35 years. I am cynical though as to why they want to access your medical records. 

Please do not go to any meeting without your husband. If I were you I would write/email your company and ask for a reason.

Keep a copy of your written request and try not to speak to the bureaucrats!!! any problems DM me - 

Are you a Union Member.  (I was a staff rep and have a law degree so will help you out if I can)

Hi DiKat.

Well done to your Hubbie re sun screen. Sometimes the medical profession don’t engage brain before they speak. 

Can you not contact your company re medical records. I don’t think I would like that but I know others have mentioned it on other areas of the forum. As if we haven’t got enough to contend with especially as no sick pay coming in.  

Enjoy the sunshine xxx

Morning everyone 

Thank you all for your kind comments re my birthday and radiotherapy. Now I have reflected on the conversation I can see that the doctor was being ultra cautious. My hubby has said it’s only 3 months and I’ve had to put up with worse. Obviously, like has been said, I can use common sense. I can have shallow baths and not immerse my breast area! My hubby did pick the doc up on his comments about the sun cream saying that’s easy for him to say as he has darker skin therefore has more natural protection! 

So with this further delay in rads, 4 wks of being treated and few wks afterwards to try and get back to some normality, looks like it will be October time before I return to work. I was quite angry with them the other day. Head office sent me a letter asking for permission to access my medical reports. They are not paying me any sick pay, I provide a sick note every month that clearly states breast cancer and have kept in regular contact with my manager. I know it’s probably protocol but it’s not like I’m swinging the lead with a bad back and it’s an 11 hour retail job they’re covering with a temp 😡 

Anyway, hope you all have a lovely weekend. Thanks for your continued support and wise words. Love to all 😘😘😘

You are a very fit lady! Due to other health issues I’m lucky to walk the dogs to the end of the road and back at the weekend! 

The massage I had was by a lady who is doing an Oncology massage training course. I have had node clearance on the left and the massage she did on that side was really no more than you do to put on moisturiser.

i suspect your pains are due to the Taxols. I think we forget that we will still suffer with ses for sometime after the last chemo. 

Enjoy your weekend. xx. 

G

Hi Drummerswidow, I finished 8 rounds of chemo 4 weeks ago (4 EC and 4 doxcetaxel) It was decided in the end radio would be of no benefit to me.  It is my hands, feet, neck, legs and arms that are really sore.  I know there is nothing sinister as had a PET scan only a few weeks ago (was always planned in for end of treatment).  Calf muscles especially feel really tight.  I have some neuropathy in my hands and feet too I suspect as the ends fee different to the other pain.  If anything it all seems to be getting worse.  I have been active throughout chemo, running, Pilates, kettles, walking (other than chemo 7 where I couldn’t do anything other than some walking afterwards as had nothing left in me).  I did mange a few 5ks this week and some stretching but not eased anything here.  I daren't try massage due to lymphedema risk which I know is irrational but I think at minute I would be too anxious.  

Well done on the weight loss, are you doing anything different? I am not losing anything, everyone said the stone I have put on would just fall off once treatment stopped...they were wrong! Not list even a pound ☹️ Had hoped to be on the right path before tamoxifen commenced but alas this is not the case.  

Hope u enjoy the beautiful day ahead x