cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

Re: Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

DIKat, i start my first T and carboplatin on the 25th. Hopefully i will be less breathless and a bit more with it!

They were suprised that my tachycardia was so extreme, literally racing  but i couldn't feel anything. When lying flat if i lifted my arm it would shoot up to 145 beats a minute x

Morning fluffyshinepants & Daffydilly, hope you are soon well. Take care of yourselves x

Hi DiKat

last T was a week ago today. Aches and pains not too bad but taste buds awful. Eating anything is becoming difficult. Just wish temp would go back to normal so I could stop worrying about that. Think emotionally everything has caught up with me at the moment - tears are too frequent an occurrence this week!

Hope your next session treats you kindly.xx

Oh no Daffydilly, sorry to hear this. It’s so stressful isn’t it! It makes you obsessive with temperature taking. I still haven’t got over the obsession from being neutropenic first cycle. Fingers crossed it is viral and you have enough of an immune system to deal with it! How many days post T are you? Xx

Trip to A &E last night as couldn’t stop shivering & temp went up to 38.1. Blood tests came back just over Neutropaenic threshold so after intravenous antibiotics and saline drip sent me home. Told me to phone Ben this morning - not sure why? Temp still up ( 37.5/8) and feel rubbish. Guess I just have to sit it out as they think it’s viral, but bit scary. T definitely doesn’t like me!!

Will it affect when you can have your next chemo? Is your next one still FEC? X

Fluffysunshinepants

Really sorry to hear that you’re going through it with a chest infection and PE. Glad you are getting the treatment and hope you start to feel better soon. 

Take care xx

Hi, did my first injection prior to leaving the hospital  so far so good. Next one is at 8am this morning. I just try not to rub the area despite the intense stinging.

Got to get used to it as it will be a twice daily thing for the next six months. What with the injections after chemo my poor stomach will look like a dart board! 

Morning Fluffysunshinepants 

That’s horrible for you.  I hope the infection goes quickly and they resolve your PE. How you getting with the clexane? The chemo keeps on throwing curve balls to us all. Sending hugs x

Sorry, pulmonary embolism x

Admitted via A&E on Monday evening and released last night with a course of antibiotics and twice daily clexane.

Still very breathless and having coughed so much think i have pulled a muscle in my back and shoulder  although some pain is associated with the PE. 

What is PE? Sounds bad. Get well soon Fluffysunshinepants.

Fluffysunshinepants 

sorry to hear you have a PE and chest infection. Are you in hospital or at home? I hope you get better soon xxx

I have just been diagnosed with a PE and chest infection, cancer the gift that keeps on giving x

Hi DiKat 

Haven’t had chest pains but had a cough. She is just being cautious. I’m already on anticoagulants so the likelihood of a PE is minimal. One thing I can remember being an ex nurse is the signs and symptoms of a PE but I’m glad she’s being cautious. 

Hi Drummerswidow

Im surprised you’re having to wait a week for a CT to see if you have pulmonary embolism. Have you had chest pains? If so, hopefully it will turn out to be musculoskeletal like I had with the T. Guess Pax can do a similar thing but does need checking. Fingers crossed for you x

Hi Daffydilly

Know exactly what you mean about taste on T. I’m eating and fancying things but everything tastes so weird. Not metallic like on FEC. Sweet, salty and slimy for me! I got some elderflower cordial the other day and mix it with plain fizzy water and that seems to cut through it a little. Hope things get easier for you. My second T is a week today x

Yes, know what you mean about come down! 

Yes hair is coming back, and on legs and down below! Still have eyebrows and yes lashes are thin but still there.

Hope it’s easier for you this time round xx

Hi Daffydilly. 

I had 2nd Placlitaxel on Monday. Was buzzy on Tuesday but cos of steroids can’t sleep. Having problems with sore mouth and nose!  Almost waiting for the other side effects to kick in. This is definitely worse than the EC I had. Got a CT next Wednesday they are querying I have had a pulmonary embolism. Oh the joys of chemo. 

Me and and the dogs have had a wee. I’m having a cup of tea and hopefully going back to sleep lol . 

I hope today is better for you xxxx

Also yes hair starting to come back. Lashes and browse really thin and still coming out. How about you? It feels really wierd

DiKat , reduced T again and thankfully for that as LFTs still too high but coming down. Side effect of FEC still wearing off apparently.  Yes high on steroids but worrying about come down now. 

@DiKat wrote:

Guessing you’re still bouncing off the walls Jayne on a steroids high! Have you had reduced dose T again or the full whack? Has your hair started to come back and do you still have lashes and brows? Xx

Hi all

5 days after 2nd t and about to go to bed hungry. Everything tastes foul or has horrible texture. Tried to eat some of pasta bake for tea but had to give up as just tasted worse and worse. Need to lose some weight but not like this. Something tasty for tea was high point of day and now that’s gone too. Also year tomorrow since my Dad died so guess on a bit of a downer today anyway. Definitely more tired on t than fec - just wanted to sleep today. Sorry for moaning - try to stay positive, but failed today.☹️☹️WBC injection then bed - tomorrows another day!

Guessing you’re still bouncing off the walls Jayne on a steroids high! Have you had reduced dose T again or the full whack? Has your hair started to come back and do you still have lashes and brows? Xx

Marykamille,  have a lovely time x

Hi Drummerswidow

Hope Chemo went well. Sad that your birthday is around this time! Hope you enjoyed the sunshine and the walk with the dogs. Lots of good wishes xx

Hi Shi

Thank you so much and I am calm, calm .... Well, a bit sleepy really! Going away tomorrow for a short break and hope a change of scene will also help! Had a phone scam to deal with first thing - an American woman (automated) telling me they would be cutting off my BT line shortly! Phoned my Broadband supplier and sorted and reported. It would have been so easy to press that button 1 for 'further information' and goodness knows what would have happened next!

I will be off line ladies while away but catch up when I get back. Good wishes to everyone.

Be interested in the answer to that one. Do be careful what you wish for though!!  xx

@DiKat wrote:

Thanks Jayne, gonna ask my Onc why I’m not having 4?? X

Fluffysunshinepants

Sorry you’ve been feeling rubbish. Hope this week is better for you. Don’t beat yourself up about your daughters weekend, you probably think it was more crap than she did! Sending hugs 🤗 xx

Thanks Jayne, gonna ask my Onc why I’m not having 4?? X

DiKat,  Had 3 FEC same as you.  Asked why I have 4 THP with the hope of getting it reduced to 3. Was told if having surgery after chemo then need to have 4. Obv through thus forum I know that's not necessarily true but don't like to argue with onc.

Well my pity party has been in full bloom this weekend, just feel totally defeated! Which people struggle with because i am usually so positive. 

Had last FEC a week today and the side effects have been the worst ever due to my daughter also passing on a sore throat. Hubby's been at work so had to try to get on with things when all i've wanted to do is curl up and cry. My daughters weekend has been crap, stuck in with minimal input.

Packed off to school now, hopefully i will have more energy this evening. 

Hope everyone's day treats them kindly x

Good luck Jayne

Forgot you were having 4, I’m only having 3. How many FEC did you have, think you’ve told me before, but chemo brain😜

Bloody steiroids 

I have docetaxel #2 of 4 tomorrow. Feel complete numb.

@Drummerswidow wrote:

Hi All 

Thank you for my birthday wishes. I had a good day. Didn’t walk the dogs as it was soooo windy and I find I can’t get my breath.

Paclitaxel Number 2 tomorrow. Let’s see what this cycle brings me. Oncologist said she would reduce the dose if I struggle again. xxx

Hi All 

Thank you for my birthday wishes. I had a good day. Didn’t walk the dogs as it was soooo windy and I find I can’t get my breath.

Paclitaxel Number 2 tomorrow. Let’s see what this cycle brings me. Oncologist said she would reduce the dose if I struggle again. xxx

Hi Dikat, just discovered that an orange juice and lemonade goes down rather well👍🏻😂

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Happy birthday drummerswidow 🎂🍹😘dikat a lot of ladies found samosas good while on t when they had slime mouth, maybe try them? 😘😘💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Since neutropenic sepsis with my first chemo I have been on 80% dose and although I tried to get it reduced again after the first T my onc wasn’t having it. I think it is just the shock of a new poison, sorry medicine, being given makes the first time the worst and second time around it is recognised and coped with a little better. Yes I had some chest pains one afternoon this week which worried me but my BP was fine and it came as occasional spasms when resting not active so crossed my fingers cos I reall didn’t want to deal with hospital but if it occurs again I will have to get it checked I guess. Yes I eat very little in the first week and then usually make up for it when my mouth improves but not eating makes me feel rough so I have to try and force something down. I am currently a stone lighter than before I started chemo but could probably do with losing another so not complaining. X

Happy Birthday Drummerswidow. Hope you have enjoyed your day walking the dogs. 

Dikat hope your se calm down and the slimy mouth goes. I start accelerated paclitaxel this Thursday so will see what it brings. 

KC72 x

Kitkat18 and daffydilly

Have you continued on full dose for your second T or had it reduced? Did either of you get chest muscular pains?

Yes, slimy is a good way to describe the mouth. I might give tonic a try. I feel quite hungry a lot of the time but end up leaving what I’m eating cos just not enjoying it. Hope it goes away afterwards!! Xx

Happy Birthday Drummerswidow, switch off the world and please yourself today. Wishing everyone less se’s this time around. I am now day 11 of 2nd T and am pleased to report that I have had less pain, less neuropathy and less throat/gland issues but what is it with the mouth?!! Why is water slimy😳 I’ve tried squash, juice, tonic, maybe I should just get the gin and ouzo out....Also does anyone else get the really dry mouth, that has improved as well this cycle but I am really fed up (ironic cos I lose 3kg each first week!) of solid food turning to gritty ash in my mouth. I live off protein shakes and soup to survive.  At least I haven’t had to give up chocolate for Lent as I seem to have given it up for chemo - it’s way too sweet yet I can’t get other things salty enough....xx

🤞for you Daffydilly. Keep us posted as to how you are doing. The drink thing is so weird! I found it easy to drink loads with FEC but like you say, struggling to stay hydrated enough, even water tastes foul. I fancied a glass of Prosecco last night, something really cold, sharp, fizzy. Forced it down but didn’t enjoy it, that is definitely not right for me 😜

Drummerswidow,  

Many happy returns. Do something for you today that you enjoy. No matter how small. For your birthday and for the last day before more chemo. 

In fact let's all try and do something for ourselves today, all be selfish for once. 

Xxx

DiKat, recognise the sweet /salty tastes - very odd! Textures too seem strange, bread being one of the worst. And drinks all taste foul, hard to get enough down to try to keep hydrated. This is second dose of T so hope will be better than last. Feet and ankle beginning to throb but not too bad yet. Last one DH was in hospital for five days and we then got  norovirus so hard to know how bad s/e were on their own, but never felt so ill in my life - nearly didn’t go ahead with this one.🤞for all of us.

Oh dear, we’re not a happy bunch at the moment are we☹️

maryKamille my taste buds have been strangely affected by T. Everything tastes either salty or overly sweet. I don’t plan to see dentist/hygienist until after chemo ends.

Jayne, not easy having relationship issues when having to deal with all this treatment crap as well. Yes T is relentless! Have notice some have said follow up cycles not quite as bad so let’s hope so!

drummerswidow Happy Birthday 🎁 you do exactly what you want to do today xx

Well it’s my birthday today. Chemo of Placlitaxel tomorrow. Something to look forward to ..... not! The dogs and I have opened my cards and gifts. My sister is having a sulk because I didn’t want to do anything. There’s not a lot to celebrate and tbh since my husband died Christmas 2010 my birthdays have been horrendous one mess up after another. One year I had a TIA but my sister still insisted we go out for a meal! I know people are being kind but this year just for once I’m doing what I want to do. The sun is shining at the moment. I’ll see if I can manage to walk the dogs up the road.

let’s hope the se are not too bad this chemo. 

Night out tonight. Next chemo on Monday. SEs have been relentless now on THP. Partner left me with friends and came hone. Took a diazopan. Since when did I become a superhero who can deal with anything. The kids are mine so ultimately I'm responsible.  His ex is using his daughter as a pawn in his divorce but his life is with me. Feel like telling him to go forth but I know it's hard and I live him. Bur why do I have to be the string one. 

#rantover #noreplyneeded # rhetorical xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Marykamile ❤️❤️The t can make you ☹️And also give you ‘slime mouth’ ladies frank fever tree water which helped with the mouth and also M&S sugar free rubarb and custard sweets were good too. The extra steroids with the t have you bouncing off the walls at all hours. Just wanted to let you know it’s normal to feel like this at this point, don’t be hard on yourself, you might not think you are doing amazing but you all are and 👭👭👭looking after each other so beautifully. Time for a bit of Yazz and the plastic population the only way is up on the chemo jukebox 💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺🕺💕💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx

Hi DiKat

I understand now the length of time but how stressful and tiring. Hope you are feeling a bit better, I know you've had more SEs just lately.

This 4th cycle has been worse for me, really cumulative I reckon. Lots of fatigue and also the taste buds going haywire. No appetite AND everything tasting disgusting! Plus it's really hard this time to keep positive - that is changing as well.

I saw the hygienist and she did do some cleaning work on my teeth. Said that I had been really good at looking after them but then added that the gums were swollen.  So I still have a weakness there which Chemo is taking advantage of. Not a problem at the moment - no pain - but I am worried about the hormone treatment my oncologist is advocating which will be after Chemo or after my Rads. 

Definitely the steroids Wahini. Hope this cycle is kind to you again. Another one down. Enjoy the Reiki 😊